Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK all think I have decided, as i have found some gr8 prices...what do ya think? 1 pair vr2 for front, 1 vrc for center and 4 vrmx for surounds..havent decided on sub but im lookn @ the pv900...tell me what ya think..thx all

puts it at about 2100$ w/o the sub, which i would like advice on ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hmm, you're paying more for your surrounds in total than your mains. I'd probably bump the mains up to VR3s and nudge the surrounds down to something like CR65s. Heck, even VR-M50s would be cheaper than the VRMX surrounds. I'm basing my pricing on 1 call.
post #273 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 08:11 AM

hmm..ok..even w/ gettn 4 surrounds? the fronts were 850 a pair and the surrounds were like 450 a pair
post #274 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiListener View Post

I am afraid of this too. My favorite AV store as dropped BA speakers all together. Wondering if this is because BA is getting out of the mid fi market all together? This seems to support your hypothesis!

No actually, I meant that the VRM line was perhaps their last, best attempt at a higher end speaker.

They seem to be moving more towards in walls, on walls, in cabinets, etc. now.
post #275 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYKAL82 View Post

I pulled the trigger on the VRM 60's in black after hashing it out in my brain for a couple days. They will sit next to my P442's and provide upper bass/low mid and an extra tweeter on each side of the room. Now I will have Surround A and Surround B so the empty channels on my BA 7120 will have something to do. I hope the VRM/EX can keep up all by itself in the far rear.

Congrats!

How big is the width of the rear wall where the VRMEX is?
post #276 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgond View Post

OK all think I have decided, as i have found some gr8 prices...what do ya think? 1 pair vr2 for front, 1 vrc for center and 4 vrmx for surounds..havent decided on sub but im lookn @ the pv900...tell me what ya think..thx all

puts it at about 2100$ w/o the sub, which i would like advice on ;-)

The VRXs and VRMXs are really designed more for side surround use than rear.

I'd just get one pair of those.

YMMV of course.
post #277 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 PM

rm dementions are 25'(L) x 15'(W) so any sugg. for a 7.1 setup using some of what i have suggested nd keeping in the approp. price range?
post #278 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd probably just go ahead and get CR65s for surround and rear surround use, they should be more than capable. If you listen to a lot of music, I'd use some of that saved money ($400 total) to get VR3 mains. If it's mainly for HT, I'd stick with VR2s. If your screen allows, I'd try to use another VR2 as your center channel in vertical orientation, as it will provide the most seemless soundstage, will have better imaging, and will have better dynamics/power handling. If not, the VRC isn't exactly a slouch.

Here's a shot of my front - I'm using VR3 mains and a VR1 center. My trusty 27" tv and entertainment center are on their way out this week, making way for the 42" LCD and some "contempory" stands.

post #279 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgond View Post

rm dementions are 25'(L) x 15'(W) so any sugg. for a 7.1 setup using some of what i have suggested nd keeping in the approp. price range?

For a budget of $2100 without a sub in a room that size, I'd get the VR-M80/VR-MC/VR-MX package on Audiogon from ATS for $1600 plus shipping, then get a pair of VR-M50s from AA for $400, and call it a day.

ALL your drivers would all be an identical match all the way around. Can't get much more seamless than that.
post #280 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 PM

Steve-O In all due respect and without putting you down in any way I had to laugh at your VR1 sticking out in front of your TV. Why are you not just putting a regular center on top of your cabinet. Does it sound any better out there like pinnochio. Please know I am just razzing you. Also dont the CR's have a totally different tweeter. Sounds like the Irish dude might be happier with two pair of VRM-60's for (1100) plus a good sub like the D-10 Carver/Sunfire for (449) and a Single VRM/EX in the rear (300) throw in the VRMC center (333) and he is rockin hard for 2182. AA will knock 10% just for asking (say its a 1call price match) and your under 2 grand WITH a killer sub . Spend another 100 on some Blue jean speaker wire and BAM.. Just my 2 cents .. I have read many of your posts and respect your opinion very much so please dont get mad, without you this thread wouldnt even be here. I am just slinging some mud in good fun. Peace sells but who's buying ?
MEGADETH.................................................... ............................................................
post #281 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 09:40 PM

I have a combination of BA and Mirage. I'm revamping my system some. I am trying to decide which way to go. Either all Boston or all Mirage. These are the Boston Speakers I have now.

Center: Boston VR14
2 pairs CR-6 (could be used for side and rears)
Sub: Mirage BPS-400.

A couple questions:
1.I found a used pair of VR975's. Will they match well with the VR14. If not what will?

2. If I use the 975's without RCA's coming from the preamp...will the subs still work or do they only work with the RCA's. I read the owners manual and its a little vague.

Thanks.

**Disclaimer** The information provided above is my opinion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion
post #282 of 2977 Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 PM

The 90's arrived today and I have been listening to them ever since. Right out of the box I could tell that this is a great loudspeaker! You name the audiophile adjective, they have it. I am most impressed with the accuracy and quantity of the bass. Vocals are dead on, piano and acoustic guitar are liquid! Fit and finish are top quality. I also have to give kuddos to FedEx. They went from Chicago to Norrthern CA without a blemish. The boxes were actually in great shape, speakers, perfect! I am confident they will just get better with a proper break-in. I would encourage any BA nut to go into serious hock and get a pair of them before they are all gone! Looks like the new parent company is taking BA in a whole different direction. I sincerely hope they don't get away from their biggest strength, THE MUSIC! After all, that's what it's all about IMHO.
post #283 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 06:20 AM

Jenkster- What kind of music do you listen to? I have VR-M60's and have been debating on ordering the 90's but just am not sure the improvement when using a sub is worthwhile. I listen primarily to classic/hard rock, some classical, a little jazz and of course movies. The only negative I can find with the VR-M60's is that the can get compressed sounding when the volume gets cranked.

If the VR-M90's handle my kind of music without the compression going on I would love to get a pair as the sound quality of the VR-M60's is phenomenal. I have had mine for over 5 years now with no real desire to upgrade.
post #284 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 06:59 AM

not gonna use this setup for music at all, dedicated to HT...so, any sites u all suggest..wanting to order speakers this wknd...what setup should i go w/ ??
post #285 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 10:00 AM

IRISH checkout audio advisor and ******* both are dependable and fast shippers.
post #286 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 10:00 AM

0ne call dot com
post #287 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Steve-O In all due respect and without putting you down in any way I had to laugh at your VR1 sticking out in front of your TV. Why are you not just putting a regular center on top of your cabinet. Does it sound any better out there like pinnochio. Please know I am just razzing you

Lol, no worries, I'm sure it looks odd, just like a 7' tall 28" diameter sonosub looks odd. I put performance as my top priority though, and a vertical tower center in the same line as the mains will perform better than a horizontal center. It more closely matches the dispersion characteristics, the imaging qualities, and the sonic signature or timbre of the mains. It's also much beefier then the VRC, able to go lower, provide better dynamics, and handle more power. And finally, it has a flatter natural FR than the VRC, as the VRC boosts mids a bit in an attempt to make dialog clearer and to work in junction with the extended "baffle" of your tv screen when placed above it.

Someone even brought up the point that since the VR1 doesn't have a dedicated midrange, and the two 6.5" midwoofers handle everything below the crossover to the tweeter, it will have even better midrange dynamics than the VR3s, making it ideal for a center channel. There's some logic to that.

Quote:
Also dont the CR's have a totally different tweeter

Yeah, but unless one does a lot of critical multichannel music listening, it really won't matter.
post #288 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkster View Post

The 90's arrived today and I have been listening to them ever since. Right out of the box I could tell that this is a great loudspeaker! You name the audiophile adjective, they have it. I am most impressed with the accuracy and quantity of the bass. Vocals are dead on, piano and acoustic guitar are liquid! Fit and finish are top quality. I also have to give kuddos to FedEx. They went from Chicago to Norrthern CA without a blemish. The boxes were actually in great shape, speakers, perfect! I am confident they will just get better with a proper break-in. I would encourage any BA nut to go into serious hock and get a pair of them before they are all gone! Looks like the new parent company is taking BA in a whole different direction. I sincerely hope they don't get away from their biggest strength, THE MUSIC! After all, that's what it's all about IMHO.

Congrats! Thinking very seriously about a pair for a dedicated 2 channel rig myself.

Are you driving them with the HK 3480? Biwired?
post #289 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

If you posted this I'm sorry....Where did you get them and how much?

My sister wants these for Christmas, Thanks.

Check out Audio Advisor dawg. You might be very pleasantly surprised at the price.
post #290 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

Lol, no worries, I'm sure it looks odd, just like a 7' tall 28" diameter sonosub looks odd. I put performance as my top priority though, and a vertical tower center in the same line as the mains will perform better than a horizontal center. It more closely matches the dispersion characteristics, the imaging qualities, and the sonic signature or timbre of the mains. It's also much beefier then the VRC, able to go lower, provide better dynamics, and handle more power. And finally, it has a flatter natural FR than the VRC, as the VRC boosts mids a bit in an attempt to make dialog clearer and to work in junction with the extended "baffle" of your tv screen when placed above it.

Someone even brought up the point that since the VR1 doesn't have a dedicated midrange, and the two 6.5" midwoofers handle everything below the crossover to the tweeter, it will have even better midrange dynamics than the VR3s, making it ideal for a center channel. There's some logic to that.

Yeah, but unless one does a lot of critical multichannel music listening, it really won't matter.

But at the price of blocking out the bottom of the TV screen?
post #291 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ View Post

Congrats! Thinking very seriously about a pair for a dedicated 2 channel rig myself.

Are you driving them with the HK 3480? Biwired?

No, but I did chuck the brass jumpers and made my own using Kimber Kable. I also dumped the stock spikes and use 1.5" cone spikes. Get's them up off the floor a bit and they are certainly more stable as I have pretty thick carpeting.
post #292 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post

Jenkster- What kind of music do you listen to? I have VR-M60's and have been debating on ordering the 90's but just am not sure the improvement when using a sub is worthwhile. I listen primarily to classic/hard rock, some classical, a little jazz and of course movies. The only negative I can find with the VR-M60's is that the can get compressed sounding when the volume gets cranked.

If the VR-M90's handle my kind of music without the compression going on I would love to get a pair as the sound quality of the VR-M60's is phenomenal. I have had mine for over 5 years now with no real desire to upgrade.

At first I listened to mainly jazz and lighter rock. My usual suspects are Steve Carlton, Wes Montgomery, Bob James, Jennifer Warnes, Robben Ford and the like. While I wouldn't say they are "Rock speakers", I did crank a little Albert Collins, Don't lose your cool, and that Telecaster was LOUD AND CLEAR! Certainly more dynamic than the 60's.
post #293 of 2977 Old 08-26-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

If you posted this I'm sorry....Where did you get them and how much?

My sister wants these for Christmas, Thanks.

I got them from Audio Advisor for $1499 plus shipping. So far, I am very happy with the investement!
post #294 of 2977 Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 AM

ok all..think im just gonna go w/ this for my 7.1 setup... 1 VRC for center, 2 VR2 for front, 4 VRMX for surround, and will have to pick out a sub...sound good...all those comes to 2100$ from audio advisor
post #295 of 2977 Old 08-27-2006, 07:16 AM

Irish, Get the VRMC instead of VRC and dont buy the VR2 untill they are on sale. VR2 and VR3 go on sale all the time for 45% off. Also, check 1call for BA deals. 1call also has the Carver D-10 sub with 1000 watt amp for 419. I have 2 of them and they go great with my BA set-up. Its a great sub for movies too.. The VRM-60 is an awesome speaker and heavily discounted at AA. You have alot of options for your 2100. But dont pay full price for any of it.
post #296 of 2977 Old 08-27-2006, 07:25 AM

hmm..it seemed that the vrmc was a smaller center than the vrc..if the vrmc is better than i will go w/ that as the center is a Very important speaker...well the vr2's are 850 a pr good? other than that good setup?
post #297 of 2977 Old 08-27-2006, 07:30 AM

Save $1,122 on VR-M60 Package Deal at AA (1277). Looks like frre shiopping too on the package. Add an extra pair of VRM-60's (549) and you still have enough left for the sub at 1call. Thats like a 4K set-up for just over 2K with the sub. Vrm-60 for front and rear, vrmc center and a pair of VRMX for side surround and a powerful sub for the LFE in your movies.. Awesome ,incredible movies and music.
post #298 of 2977 Old 08-27-2006, 07:36 AM

also..anyone know where i could get a d-12 instead of a d-10?
post #299 of 2977 Old 08-27-2006, 07:38 AM

whoa...hold on..lol 2100 isnt my limit, and i sure dont want bookshelf speakers as my fronts, rm is 25'(L) by 15'(W)
post #300 of 2977 Old 08-27-2006, 07:45 AM

D-12's are no longer available anywhere-D 10's are going quickly.When there gone there gone.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page