Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3031 of 3060 Old 12-24-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
morrischestnut60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Clearing out some Bostons with VR tweeter for those in NY/NJ area. See classifieds. Zip 07111. Excellent condition.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
morrischestnut60 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3032 of 3060 Old 02-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Newbie
 
robbiesd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Boston Acoustics fans,
My 22 yr old nephew has ask me for some help so I'm turning to you as I'm not knowledgeable enough to guide him well. After graduating he's rented his first home w/o roommates and is starting to build a life for himself. He recently purchased a Vizio 42" M series and was given a BA VR12 center that's in great shape so I think I need to help him build around it. I've given him a Denon AVR1905 and want to help him assemble a 5.1 system for both audio and HT. Interestingly he's mostly a classic rock listener. Although he hasn't defined a budget I feel he's best served buying 2nd hand product as it can be found and he can afford it, in order to get more bang for his buck and avoid near-term upgrading. So, I'm seeking suggestions for mains, surrounds and a sub to start looking for. After reading many pages of this thread it seems the general opinion is to stick to mains w/ a VR tweeter but I don't know the BA product line. His combo room is about 16' x 25' but it's a rental so it may change in a year but unlikely to be much larger. Although I see references to a BA floor model w/built-in powered subs my instinct is use a separate sub...
I look forward to your suggestions and want to thank you in advance for your replies.
Robbie
robbiesd is offline  
post #3033 of 3060 Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ovation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Hubert, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I would go with a separate sub (perhaps a 1000 series SVS, if budget is tight). I have VR-M series speakers in my HT (11 years old, now, and still going strong) and would highly recommend them if you can find some in good shape. Anything with a VR tweeter will mate well, though. Good luck.
Ovation is offline  
post #3034 of 3060 Old 02-07-2015, 04:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Chris NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle / NYC
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
New BA owner here. Got a pair of CS IIs for my 2.0 system just over a month ago. I definitely don't need a sub, they produce some really deep low end. They sound great for movies and most types of music. I find mid-rangy kinds of music like rock does not sound as good as electronic or classical. I looked at a ton of budget speakers and these fit the bill. Not bad for $200/pair.

Panasonic ST-60 / Denon AVR-S700W
Chris NYC is offline  
post #3035 of 3060 Old 02-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I currently own a pair of BA VR960 and one of the amplifiers and sub woofer is blown out. Long shot, but do you still have the parts for these speakers?
spyda360 is offline  
post #3036 of 3060 Old 02-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
FYI: I have recently dismantled my VR965 towers and have all the electronic components (Lynnfield tweeters, midrange drivers, (1) woofer, sub amps, crossovers), as well as the top caps. If anyone needs to replace a tweeter or any of the other components in theirs, let me know. I am pretty certain that Boston Acoustics used the same tweeter and midrange drivers in other models as well...

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I currently own a pair of BA VR960 and one of the amplifiers and sub woofer is blown out. Long shot, but do you still have the parts for these speakers?
spyda360 is offline  
post #3037 of 3060 Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Yankees24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The tweeter on my A26 went bad. I sent it in for repair, the part was ordered on 1/28 and the eta is 3/5 !!....I really like my speakers, but I've never had any speaker go bad on me, and much less a speaker that's only a year old. I guess the parts are coming from China !

Think before you speak....
Yankees24 is online now  
post #3038 of 3060 Old 02-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
tomd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
The tweeter on my A26 went bad. I sent it in for repair, the part was ordered on 1/28 and the eta is 3/5 !!....I really like my speakers, but I've never had any speaker go bad on me, and much less a speaker that's only a year old. I guess the parts are coming from China !

Definitely a bummer, but that turnaround time doesn't sound too unreasonable. Typically I've only seen issues related to a failed crossover or tweeter is damaged due to power surges or other electrical issues. From my own experience, speaker component failure is fairly uncommon, but really any electronic component is susceptible to failure.
tomd51 is offline  
post #3039 of 3060 Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Yankees24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post
Definitely a bummer, but that turnaround time doesn't sound too unreasonable. Typically I've only seen issues related to a failed crossover or tweeter is damaged due to power surges or other electrical issues. From my own experience, speaker component failure is fairly uncommon, but really any electronic component is susceptible to failure.

i finally got my speaker back with the new tweeter. It surely does not sound as bright as the other good speaker. I'm wondering if it just needs a "break in" period. My existing speaker is a bit over a year old. I put my ear directly on the tweeter and I know its playing, but when I go to the other tweeter, its very pronounced.

Think before you speak....
Yankees24 is online now  
post #3040 of 3060 Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Moosebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any opinions on the following for a 5.1 home theatre setup?

For front speakers; would the A25 bookshelf speakers match better with the A225c centre channel due to having the same woofer size, or would the A26's perform just as well (if not better?) even with their larger woofer?

I will be getting A25's for the surrounds also if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Moosebox is offline  
post #3041 of 3060 Old 03-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
kaiforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post
Any opinions on the following for a 5.1 home theatre setup?

For front speakers; would the A25 bookshelf speakers match better with the A225c centre channel due to having the same woofer size, or would the A26's perform just as well (if not better?) even with their larger woofer?

I will be getting A25's for the surrounds also if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Both choices will timbre match just fine. The A26 will dig a bit deeper but they will both "perform" exceptionally when matched with that center. If you aren't getting a sub go with the 26's. If you want a sub, get the 25's and use the money you saved to get an even better sub.
kaiforce is offline  
post #3042 of 3060 Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Moosebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce View Post
Both choices will timbre match just fine. The A26 will dig a bit deeper but they will both "perform" exceptionally when matched with that center. If you aren't getting a sub go with the 26's. If you want a sub, get the 25's and use the money you saved to get an even better sub.
Yes I think that is what I will do (go with the 25's), and adding the savings to the sub budget is a good idea.
Moosebox is offline  
post #3043 of 3060 Old 03-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Member
 
husq2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Managed to win a single E70 on ebay. Waiting for it to turn up and then can start looking for a partner for it
husq2100 is offline  
post #3044 of 3060 Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
overwilhelmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All -

Hopefully you guys can help me. A family member asked me to help her with a remodel and find some bookshelf speakers to replace her current PW620 inwall speakers. The center channel (PW543LCR) does not need to be replaced and will remain in the wall.

I would like to find a pair of bookshelf speakers that are timbre matched to the PW620 and the PW543LCR however these speakers have been discontinued. They seem similar to the HSi family currently listed on Boston's website however there don't appear to be any bookshelf speakers that are matched to these speakers.

Can someone point me towards the right speakers that would match the in wall speakers? I would like to avoid replacing the PW543LCR in the wall if possible.

Thanks!

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
overwilhelmed is offline  
post #3045 of 3060 Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
tomd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post
All -

Hopefully you guys can help me. A family member asked me to help her with a remodel and find some bookshelf speakers to replace her current PW620 inwall speakers. The center channel (PW543LCR) does not need to be replaced and will remain in the wall.

I would like to find a pair of bookshelf speakers that are timbre matched to the PW620 and the PW543LCR however these speakers have been discontinued. They seem similar to the HSi family currently listed on Boston's website however there don't appear to be any bookshelf speakers that are matched to these speakers.

Can someone point me towards the right speakers that would match the in wall speakers? I would like to avoid replacing the PW543LCR in the wall if possible.

Thanks!

If you're looking to match the PW543LCR, it has a Kortec Dome tweeter, I would think the best pairing for a current BA model would be the A 25s or A 26s:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065A26B...26.html?tp=186

The Classic II CS line also used the Kortec soft dome tweeter, though I believe these would be a slight step down from the A Series in sound quality. If she was willing to do pre-owned (used), there's quite a few BA bookshelfs that used a Kortec tweeter available like the CR57s, CR67s, CR75s, etc. and are available on eBay.
tomd51 is offline  
post #3046 of 3060 Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
overwilhelmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post
If you're looking to match the PW543LCR, it has a Kortec Dome tweeter, I would think the best pairing for a current BA model would be the A 25s or A 26s:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065A26B...26.html?tp=186

The Classic II CS line also used the Kortec soft dome tweeter, though I believe these would be a slight step down from the A Series in sound quality. If she was willing to do pre-owned (used), there's quite a few BA bookshelfs that used a Kortec tweeter available like the CR57s, CR67s, CR75s, etc. and are available on eBay.
Perfect! Thank you!!!

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
overwilhelmed is offline  
post #3047 of 3060 Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys.

As an AB owner from the Netherlands I've been reading this thread for some time now. Good stuff!
I own 4 A25 speakers, one asw650 sub and one a225 center on a denon avr2113 set.
Great set, but im looking to expand and buy 2 bigger speakers.

The 3 candidates are:
  • BA a250 (179 euro)
  • BA a360 (299 euro)
  • BA m250 (249 euro)

I have no means to hear the speakers in a radius of 200 miles, so i'll have to take a gamble here.
What front speakers would be best for stereo music performance?
Would the m250 also be a good fit with the rest of the A series speakers for surround?

Hope to get some opinions from you guys!

Thanks andd greets from a dutchy
bieske is offline  
post #3048 of 3060 Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 AM
Member
 
brandtlj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For anyone interested, a pair of E100's are currently listed on eBay for a reasonable price, although it's auction format. I am not the seller.
husq2100 likes this.
brandtlj is offline  
post #3049 of 3060 Old 04-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi there everyone,

What an awesome forum. I've been reading the posts on here for a while now and so stoked to see so many people enthusiastic about BA so thought i would jump on and say hi. Im looking forward to hearing opinions on some questions i have and also hoping to get some advice as ive had this setup for about 14 years now (and loved every minute of listening pleasure) and im in the process of upgrading but have a slight hickup along the way which i would like some advice and informed opinions about.

Firstly my current setup:

Mains: VR 970 Lynnfield
Rears: VR 950 Lynnfield
Ctr: VR 12
Front effect: VRS Micros
Extra Sub: Velodyne CHT12

Amp: Yamaha DSP A1 (have just put money down on the new Yamaha CXA & MXA 5000 and cant wait to hook it up )
Blu Ray: Oppo BDP 105
TV: Panasonic VT50 (55") Plasma

I looked at upgrading a couple of years ago but I struggled with doing away with the amp as it has such an awesome sound (and sooo much power thumping through the Bostons) which is how i ended up with the OPPO player. I am using the OPPO for all the processing and running analog cables (5.1) into the amp. Sounds amazing!!!

The speakers i am more than happy with however the 10" subs both needed the foam replacing again so i recently put them in to get serviced and figured i would get all the speakers checked over just to get everything top notch before hooking up the new amp.

This is where it gets annoying for me.

I picked the speakers up last week and the left sub seemed low in power so i pulled the speaker out and one of the spade clips was broken off the speaker wire and just barely making contact. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!
I then noticed that the dust caps now have a very clean circular hole in the middle with a paper like backing in behind. I don't remember them being like this before and have searched out the replacement dust caps and can't see that any others are similar?

This leads me to 2 obvious questions as i know the voice coil needs to be centered during the repair process but...
1. Is this a normal repair that i don't need to worry about?
2. Is this new circular hole in the dust cap going to effect the speaker performance long term?

I do tend to listen to both music and movies at higher levels , i have my drums set up in the theatre room so there is a lot of time spent LOUD (but clean ) and for long periods of time. Eagles, Pink Floyd, Roger Waters concerts have been played many times in their entirety start to finish so i am using the whole system to its full potential. And i LOVE it

Another question i have is i will soon have the ability to add some additional height speakers. Have read on the forum about the VRS Pros i think it was and that they would be better than the Micros i currently use. I'll be wanting to add the additional speakers at some stage but should i be looking to keep the Micros or would i be better off changing to 2 sets of something else?

I think i better leave it at that as this is a really long post (especially for a first timer ).

Great to be on board and i look forward to any and all offerings of insight and thankyou in advance.

Cheers and Kia Ora to all from Auckland, New Zealand
Mark
lulimet likes this.
otmbuilder is offline  
post #3050 of 3060 Old 04-26-2015, 02:32 AM
Member
 
husq2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtlj View Post
For anyone interested, a pair of E100's are currently listed on eBay for a reasonable price, although it's auction format. I am not the seller.
funny I missed that, I search every day as I'm looking for a e70
husq2100 is offline  
post #3051 of 3060 Old 05-06-2015, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
jkscherk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey BA owners! If anyone is looking for the ultimate BA setup for HT, I've listed my three BT2 speakers in the classifieds section. Great shape and priced right. Check em' out.
jkscherk is online now  
post #3052 of 3060 Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
Hey BA owners! If anyone is looking for the ultimate BA setup for HT, I've listed my three BT2 speakers in the classifieds section. Great shape and priced right. Check em' out.
Man, I had just ordered three of them from accesories4less, and they came in yesterday. Hopefully I will get to set them up and play around with them some this weekend.

If I may ask, what were you using for surrounds & sub(s)?
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #3053 of 3060 Old 05-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
jkscherk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post
Man, I had just ordered three of them from accesories4less, and they came in yesterday. Hopefully I will get to set them up and play around with them some this weekend.

If I may ask, what were you using for surrounds & sub(s)?
I think you got the last three from them!

I have VRi593 3-ways in the walls for wides and side surrounds, with VRi580 in the back for rear surrounds. My subs are the Klipsch KW-120s with KA-1000 amplifier.

Maybe you should go with a few more BT2s for your surrounds!!

The Seaton Catalyst 12C LCRs come tomorrow so I gotta move my BT2s! I'll make someone a GREAT deal.
jkscherk is online now  
post #3054 of 3060 Old 05-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
I think you got the last three from them!

I have VRi593 3-ways in the walls for wides and side surrounds, with VRi580 in the back for rear surrounds. My subs are the Klipsch KW-120s with KA-1000 amplifier.

Maybe you should go with a few more BT2s for your surrounds!!

The Seaton Catalyst 12C LCRs come tomorrow so I gotta move my BT2s! I'll make someone a GREAT deal.
Congrats on the Seatons, I'm sure they will be awesome!

I was thinking of maybe some BT1s for surrounds eventually.

Shipping will be a bear for yours! I was amazed at how the BT2 box is about the same size as a box for a 12" sub!
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #3055 of 3060 Old 05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
jkscherk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post
Congrats on the Seatons, I'm sure they will be awesome!

I was thinking of maybe some BT1s for surrounds eventually.

Shipping will be a bear for yours! I was amazed at how the BT2 box is about the same size as a box for a 12" sub!
I actually have 3 BT1s as LCR for my family room setup. They're in custom cabinets so you don't even know they're there. Works fantastically. Those I can't give up as they're the only thing that will fit. If you change your mind about some more BT2s...just let me know. Maybe you'd want to stack them 2 high!
jkscherk is online now  
post #3056 of 3060 Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Member
 
Inferno333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any Boston Acoustic fans out there looking for a perfectly functioning VR12 center channel?
Inferno333 is offline  
post #3057 of 3060 Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Newbie
 
rmbrdaads's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All


This is a VERY helpful thread. It took awhile 10 years plus to get my HT and recently audio in the works.
Here goes:


Living Room 7.1 set-up


TV: Samsung PN60F5300
Player: OPPO BDP-103
Mains: VR-M60
Center: (Had VR-MC finally acquired) VR-12
Surrounds: VR-M50
Rear: VR-M50
Subwoofer: (Had PV100 until it suffered in the lows) SVS PC12 Plus


AVR: (Had Onkyo TX-SR707 until the HDMI board burnt out) Marantz SR-7007
STEREO: Someone was moving out and wanted to get rid of some other audio equipment a vintage Marantz 2238b!
Tested the Marantz on my mains and they sang like a concert! (I have to get them back soon, from a service near me, recap, deox, etc.)


Basement (Still working on it Stereo and 5.1 or 7.1)


Set-up before Boston Acoustics SNDWREXS 5.1B, a friend of mine was down grading so we traded for
2 pairs of VR940
Center: VR-10
Mains: (Stereo maybe) Dynaudio Excite X16
Subwoofer: (Still looking, need to be compact for space)
Stereo: NAD C315
AVR: NAD 748v2


Whew, that is it. Wife will only allow budget for sub. around 1K to $1500. max. Any suggestion would be grateful.
In future Thanks. Again Great source for info.
rmbrdaads is offline  
post #3058 of 3060 Old 06-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Simm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Clayton NC
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbrdaads View Post
Hello All


This is a VERY helpful thread. It took awhile 10 years plus to get my HT and recently audio in the works.
Here goes:


Living Room 7.1 set-up


TV: Samsung PN60F5300
Player: OPPO BDP-103
Mains: VR-M60
Center: (Had VR-MC finally acquired) VR-12
Surrounds: VR-M50
Rear: VR-M50
Subwoofer: (Had PV100 until it suffered in the lows) SVS PC12 Plus


AVR: (Had Onkyo TX-SR707 until the HDMI board burnt out) Marantz SR-7007
STEREO: Someone was moving out and wanted to get rid of some other audio equipment a vintage Marantz 2238b!
Tested the Marantz on my mains and they sang like a concert! (I have to get them back soon, from a service near me, recap, deox, etc.)


Basement (Still working on it Stereo and 5.1 or 7.1)


Set-up before Boston Acoustics SNDWREXS 5.1B, a friend of mine was down grading so we traded for
2 pairs of VR940
Center: VR-10
Mains: (Stereo maybe) Dynaudio Excite X16
Subwoofer: (Still looking, need to be compact for space)
Stereo: NAD C315
AVR: NAD 748v2


Whew, that is it. Wife will only allow budget for sub. around 1K to $1500. max. Any suggestion would be grateful.
In future Thanks. Again Great source for info.
I have been using VR-M60's since about 2000 in my system and really have not felt a need to upgrade. I think about it occasionally and do some shopping but these still sound so good to me and the cost to step up just doesn't seem to justify it. I am using 5 of the 60's in my HT and a pair of 50's, VR-MX's, and the VR-MC in a closet not in use.
Simm is offline  
post #3059 of 3060 Old 06-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Member
 
joey_truelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As you may know I run a setup of Horizon series speakers w. HS60s in front and HS40s in rear and ever since I bought them on closeout I've been in some kind of a struggle. Now my Sony receiver is said to be "bright" however with or without calibration they come across as a bit... darkish and muffled. Used the EQ where I raised the highend to what reads as 6dBs to achieve a more neutral soundstage with a gentle roll-off in the highs.

The Sony always did seem a bit tired running these (compared to the more sensitive local brand Dynavoice speakers I used previously at least) so on a "well thought out whim" I purchased a Marantz SR5008 in hope for the Audyssey calibration to work its magic on them. Or am I infact fooling myself here: the Horizons are made darkish and will always sound that way regardless of what I put into them?

So it's said: I'm not looking for bright per se just that I'm sure there are some air above 10kHz to be had, only that the Sony can't bring that out of the speakers. Ideas?
joey_truelove is offline  
post #3060 of 3060 Old Today, 04:55 AM
Member
 
Docethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Any VR960 owners want to share their experience with these speakers? There is a pair for sale close to me for $100 that are in good condition and said to work fine. I just sold my VR3s to my friend and got back a pair of VR940s to use in my garage and they sound great but no where near as detailed or powerful as the VR3s. I may use the VR960s in the garage and sell my Outlaw sub if the built in powered woofers work well enough to at least fill in the bottom end without being boomy. What worries me is that if the woofer or amp unit were to fail on them, I am stuck with them high passed at 150 hz to the midrange, which may be tough to fill in even with the outlaw. So I am wondering how the bass units of these perform, even just to play around with in the garage. Also, does their dedicated midrange give them a more detailed in your face sound closer to the VR2/3? Thanks!
Docethic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off