Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 102 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3031 of 3050 Old 12-24-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Clearing out some Bostons with VR tweeter for those in NY/NJ area. See classifieds. Zip 07111. Excellent condition.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3050 Old 02-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Boston Acoustics fans,
My 22 yr old nephew has ask me for some help so I'm turning to you as I'm not knowledgeable enough to guide him well. After graduating he's rented his first home w/o roommates and is starting to build a life for himself. He recently purchased a Vizio 42" M series and was given a BA VR12 center that's in great shape so I think I need to help him build around it. I've given him a Denon AVR1905 and want to help him assemble a 5.1 system for both audio and HT. Interestingly he's mostly a classic rock listener. Although he hasn't defined a budget I feel he's best served buying 2nd hand product as it can be found and he can afford it, in order to get more bang for his buck and avoid near-term upgrading. So, I'm seeking suggestions for mains, surrounds and a sub to start looking for. After reading many pages of this thread it seems the general opinion is to stick to mains w/ a VR tweeter but I don't know the BA product line. His combo room is about 16' x 25' but it's a rental so it may change in a year but unlikely to be much larger. Although I see references to a BA floor model w/built-in powered subs my instinct is use a separate sub...
I look forward to your suggestions and want to thank you in advance for your replies.
Robbie
post #3033 of 3050 Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would go with a separate sub (perhaps a 1000 series SVS, if budget is tight). I have VR-M series speakers in my HT (11 years old, now, and still going strong) and would highly recommend them if you can find some in good shape. Anything with a VR tweeter will mate well, though. Good luck.
post #3034 of 3050 Old 02-07-2015, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
New BA owner here. Got a pair of CS IIs for my 2.0 system just over a month ago. I definitely don't need a sub, they produce some really deep low end. They sound great for movies and most types of music. I find mid-rangy kinds of music like rock does not sound as good as electronic or classical. I looked at a ton of budget speakers and these fit the bill. Not bad for $200/pair.

Panasonic ST-60 / Denon AVR-S700W
post #3035 of 3050 Old 02-17-2015, 04:57 PM

Liked: 0
Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I currently own a pair of BA VR960 and one of the amplifiers and sub woofer is blown out. Long shot, but do you still have the parts for these speakers?
post #3036 of 3050 Old 02-17-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
FYI: I have recently dismantled my VR965 towers and have all the electronic components (Lynnfield tweeters, midrange drivers, (1) woofer, sub amps, crossovers), as well as the top caps. If anyone needs to replace a tweeter or any of the other components in theirs, let me know. I am pretty certain that Boston Acoustics used the same tweeter and midrange drivers in other models as well...

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I currently own a pair of BA VR960 and one of the amplifiers and sub woofer is blown out. Long shot, but do you still have the parts for these speakers?
post #3037 of 3050 Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The tweeter on my A26 went bad. I sent it in for repair, the part was ordered on 1/28 and the eta is 3/5 !!....I really like my speakers, but I've never had any speaker go bad on me, and much less a speaker that's only a year old. I guess the parts are coming from China !

Think before you speak....
post #3038 of 3050 Old 02-18-2015, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
The tweeter on my A26 went bad. I sent it in for repair, the part was ordered on 1/28 and the eta is 3/5 !!....I really like my speakers, but I've never had any speaker go bad on me, and much less a speaker that's only a year old. I guess the parts are coming from China !

Definitely a bummer, but that turnaround time doesn't sound too unreasonable. Typically I've only seen issues related to a failed crossover or tweeter is damaged due to power surges or other electrical issues. From my own experience, speaker component failure is fairly uncommon, but really any electronic component is susceptible to failure.
post #3039 of 3050 Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post
Definitely a bummer, but that turnaround time doesn't sound too unreasonable. Typically I've only seen issues related to a failed crossover or tweeter is damaged due to power surges or other electrical issues. From my own experience, speaker component failure is fairly uncommon, but really any electronic component is susceptible to failure.

i finally got my speaker back with the new tweeter. It surely does not sound as bright as the other good speaker. I'm wondering if it just needs a "break in" period. My existing speaker is a bit over a year old. I put my ear directly on the tweeter and I know its playing, but when I go to the other tweeter, its very pronounced.

Think before you speak....
post #3040 of 3050 Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any opinions on the following for a 5.1 home theatre setup?

For front speakers; would the A25 bookshelf speakers match better with the A225c centre channel due to having the same woofer size, or would the A26's perform just as well (if not better?) even with their larger woofer?

I will be getting A25's for the surrounds also if that makes any difference.

Thanks
post #3041 of 3050 Old 03-02-2015, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post
Any opinions on the following for a 5.1 home theatre setup?

For front speakers; would the A25 bookshelf speakers match better with the A225c centre channel due to having the same woofer size, or would the A26's perform just as well (if not better?) even with their larger woofer?

I will be getting A25's for the surrounds also if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Both choices will timbre match just fine. The A26 will dig a bit deeper but they will both "perform" exceptionally when matched with that center. If you aren't getting a sub go with the 26's. If you want a sub, get the 25's and use the money you saved to get an even better sub.
post #3042 of 3050 Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce View Post
Both choices will timbre match just fine. The A26 will dig a bit deeper but they will both "perform" exceptionally when matched with that center. If you aren't getting a sub go with the 26's. If you want a sub, get the 25's and use the money you saved to get an even better sub.
Yes I think that is what I will do (go with the 25's), and adding the savings to the sub budget is a good idea.
post #3043 of 3050 Old 03-28-2015, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Managed to win a single E70 on ebay. Waiting for it to turn up and then can start looking for a partner for it
post #3044 of 3050 Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All -

Hopefully you guys can help me. A family member asked me to help her with a remodel and find some bookshelf speakers to replace her current PW620 inwall speakers. The center channel (PW543LCR) does not need to be replaced and will remain in the wall.

I would like to find a pair of bookshelf speakers that are timbre matched to the PW620 and the PW543LCR however these speakers have been discontinued. They seem similar to the HSi family currently listed on Boston's website however there don't appear to be any bookshelf speakers that are matched to these speakers.

Can someone point me towards the right speakers that would match the in wall speakers? I would like to avoid replacing the PW543LCR in the wall if possible.

Thanks!

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #3045 of 3050 Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post
All -

Hopefully you guys can help me. A family member asked me to help her with a remodel and find some bookshelf speakers to replace her current PW620 inwall speakers. The center channel (PW543LCR) does not need to be replaced and will remain in the wall.

I would like to find a pair of bookshelf speakers that are timbre matched to the PW620 and the PW543LCR however these speakers have been discontinued. They seem similar to the HSi family currently listed on Boston's website however there don't appear to be any bookshelf speakers that are matched to these speakers.

Can someone point me towards the right speakers that would match the in wall speakers? I would like to avoid replacing the PW543LCR in the wall if possible.

Thanks!

If you're looking to match the PW543LCR, it has a Kortec Dome tweeter, I would think the best pairing for a current BA model would be the A 25s or A 26s:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065A26B...26.html?tp=186

The Classic II CS line also used the Kortec soft dome tweeter, though I believe these would be a slight step down from the A Series in sound quality. If she was willing to do pre-owned (used), there's quite a few BA bookshelfs that used a Kortec tweeter available like the CR57s, CR67s, CR75s, etc. and are available on eBay.
post #3046 of 3050 Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post
If you're looking to match the PW543LCR, it has a Kortec Dome tweeter, I would think the best pairing for a current BA model would be the A 25s or A 26s:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065A26B...26.html?tp=186

The Classic II CS line also used the Kortec soft dome tweeter, though I believe these would be a slight step down from the A Series in sound quality. If she was willing to do pre-owned (used), there's quite a few BA bookshelfs that used a Kortec tweeter available like the CR57s, CR67s, CR75s, etc. and are available on eBay.
Perfect! Thank you!!!

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #3047 of 3050 Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 PM

Hi guys.

As an AB owner from the Netherlands I've been reading this thread for some time now. Good stuff!
I own 4 A25 speakers, one asw650 sub and one a225 center on a denon avr2113 set.
Great set, but im looking to expand and buy 2 bigger speakers.

The 3 candidates are:
  • BA a250 (179 euro)
  • BA a360 (299 euro)
  • BA m250 (249 euro)

I have no means to hear the speakers in a radius of 200 miles, so i'll have to take a gamble here.
What front speakers would be best for stereo music performance?
Would the m250 also be a good fit with the rest of the A series speakers for surround?

Hope to get some opinions from you guys!

Thanks andd greets from a dutchy
post #3048 of 3050 Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For anyone interested, a pair of E100's are currently listed on eBay for a reasonable price, although it's auction format. I am not the seller.
husq2100 likes this.
post #3049 of 3050 Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Liked: 1
Hi there everyone,

What an awesome forum. I've been reading the posts on here for a while now and so stoked to see so many people enthusiastic about BA so thought i would jump on and say hi. Im looking forward to hearing opinions on some questions i have and also hoping to get some advice as ive had this setup for about 14 years now (and loved every minute of listening pleasure) and im in the process of upgrading but have a slight hickup along the way which i would like some advice and informed opinions about.

Firstly my current setup:

Mains: VR 970 Lynnfield
Rears: VR 950 Lynnfield
Ctr: VR 12
Front effect: VRS Micros
Extra Sub: Velodyne CHT12

Amp: Yamaha DSP A1 (have just put money down on the new Yamaha CXA & MXA 5000 and cant wait to hook it up )
Blu Ray: Oppo BDP 105
TV: Panasonic VT50 (55") Plasma

I looked at upgrading a couple of years ago but I struggled with doing away with the amp as it has such an awesome sound (and sooo much power thumping through the Bostons) which is how i ended up with the OPPO player. I am using the OPPO for all the processing and running analog cables (5.1) into the amp. Sounds amazing!!!

The speakers i am more than happy with however the 10" subs both needed the foam replacing again so i recently put them in to get serviced and figured i would get all the speakers checked over just to get everything top notch before hooking up the new amp.

This is where it gets annoying for me.

I picked the speakers up last week and the left sub seemed low in power so i pulled the speaker out and one of the spade clips was broken off the speaker wire and just barely making contact. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!
I then noticed that the dust caps now have a very clean circular hole in the middle with a paper like backing in behind. I don't remember them being like this before and have searched out the replacement dust caps and can't see that any others are similar?

This leads me to 2 obvious questions as i know the voice coil needs to be centered during the repair process but...
1. Is this a normal repair that i don't need to worry about?
2. Is this new circular hole in the dust cap going to effect the speaker performance long term?

I do tend to listen to both music and movies at higher levels , i have my drums set up in the theatre room so there is a lot of time spent LOUD (but clean ) and for long periods of time. Eagles, Pink Floyd, Roger Waters concerts have been played many times in their entirety start to finish so i am using the whole system to its full potential. And i LOVE it

Another question i have is i will soon have the ability to add some additional height speakers. Have read on the forum about the VRS Pros i think it was and that they would be better than the Micros i currently use. I'll be wanting to add the additional speakers at some stage but should i be looking to keep the Micros or would i be better off changing to 2 sets of something else?

I think i better leave it at that as this is a really long post (especially for a first timer ).

Great to be on board and i look forward to any and all offerings of insight and thankyou in advance.

Cheers and Kia Ora to all from Auckland, New Zealand
Mark
lulimet likes this.
post #3050 of 3050 Unread Today, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtlj View Post
For anyone interested, a pair of E100's are currently listed on eBay for a reasonable price, although it's auction format. I am not the seller.
funny I missed that, I search every day as I'm looking for a e70
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page