AVS Forum banner
629K views 4K replies 765 participants last post by  Sean O'Hara 
#1 ·
As I've threatened to do in other treads, I'm starting a thread dedicated to Boston Acoustics related discussions and information. I've liked BA's sound quality since I first auditioned them in 1988 and I currently building all of my 7.1 system around BA speakers. I also think they are a reputable company with good build quality and responsive customer service.

As I've shopped recently for the side and rear speakers for my system, I have found it difficult to connect with other BA owners who have BA surrounds. As an aid to myself and others who have questions or discussion topics for BA, I'm starting this tread.

To get things rolling, please post your set-up and identify what BA speakers you are using!

See less See more
#2,629 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627  /t/629871/boston-acoustics-owners-thread/2610#post_22248978

I was just about ready to place my order for an A series setup that includes two A23 bookshelves for the rear surrounds. Then I learned that they don't come with screw holes on the bottom or back to attach to speaker stands (how my current Infinitys are). They do have a keyhole on the back for wall mounting but there is no wall where I will be setting them and I must use stands. I'm leery of just having them sit on top of a stand for fear of my kids knocking them over and hurting themselves or the speakers. Does anyone know of a way to attach the A23 (or even A25) bookshelf speaker securely to a stand? Thanks.

Mark

Blu-Tak works well... http://www.amazon.com/Bostik-Blu-Tack-Blu-Tack-Re-usable/dp/B0006DPMSG

#2,630 ·
I have a HUGE problem with my VS series: I need 4 VS surrounds to match my VS front soundstage, but as everyone knows they have been discontinued. I have a pair of 336s for the fronts and a 325c center, and for the rears I am using Bravo IIs, which are a total mismatch. Anyone know where I can find 4 VS 240s? I have checked all the usual sources (ebay, AudioGon, etc.) but no luck.

Anyone have suggestions for alternative surrounds that closely timbre match the VSs?

#2,631 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaheshw  /t/629871/boston-acoustics-owners-thread/2610#post_22252649

I have a HUGE problem with my VS series: I need 4 VS surrounds to match my VS front soundstage, but as everyone knows they have been discontinued. I have a pair of 336s for the fronts and a 325c center, and for the rears I am using Bravo IIs, which are a total mismatch. Anyone know where I can find 4 VS 240s? I have checked all the usual sources (ebay, AudioGon, etc.) but no luck.

Anyone have suggestions for alternative surrounds that closely timbre match the VSs?

I'm not so sure I'd call this a "HUGE problem"
, nevertheless I've seen some of the 240s and 260s pop up on A-Gon and AC4L , so I would keep an eye open on both of those.

Unless you're doing critical listening to multichannel music DVD-As, SACDs and/or media files, you're not likely to gain much by timbre matching your surround/rear surround soundstage with your front soundstage. In fact, most listening environments benefit from the diffused soundfield of bipole/dipole surrounds in back, which inherently negates the need to timbre match the front soundstage... -TD

#2,632 ·
Amaheshw: This guy was selling 4 240s back in May.

miky702

May 19, 2012 at 3:53 am

They aren't broken in. I have only opened them and tested them to make sure they work. Both colors are for sale but first come first serve. Are you thinking about buying both pair of 240s?

#2,633 ·
E60's doing work. Really a nice combo with the Parasound A23 amp.

#2,635 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/629871/boston-acoustics-owners-thread/2610#post_22301285

That is one set of speakers that continue to stay in my house - they are really nice.

Hard to get rid of them! I heard some Dyn X12s and the E60's are right there with them. The only one that was clearly better was the Focus 160. But it's almost $3K!

#2,636 ·
Just wanted to share a note with everyone who might be in a similar predicament (trying to find recently discontinued BA speakers).

I searched desperately for days to find 2 pairs of VS series speakers, which were discontinued about a year ago. After striking out with U.S. retailers, I found a dozen or so European distributors who had these speakers in stock, but unfortunately, none were willing to ship to the U.S.

After still more days of searching, I hit a homer: found a retailer in Austria who was willing to ship to the US: www.d-t-s.at . Although I was quite apprehensive about executing such a large international transaction, the retailer was extremely prompt, courteous, reliable, and professional. I received my speakers in just 10 days and they arrived in perfect condition. The upshot of this experience is that BA offered in Europe a finish that was never offered in the U.S.: Arctic White. Absolutely stunning.

If any of you are in a similar situation, I highly recommend this store. The manager's name is Daniel Maggi and his contact info can be found on the website.

Disclaimer: I do not have any financial interest in, or other relationship with, this store.

#2,637 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaheshw  /t/629871/boston-acoustics-owners-thread/2610#post_22328177

Just wanted to share a note with everyone who might be in a similar predicament (trying to find recently discontinued BA speakers).

I searched desperately for days to find 2 pairs of VS series speakers, which were discontinued about a year ago. After striking out with U.S. retailers, I found a dozen or so European distributors who had these speakers in stock, but unfortunately, none were willing to ship to the U.S.

After still more days of searching, I hit a homer: found a retailer in Austria who was willing to ship to the US: www.d-t-s.at . Although I was quite apprehensive about executing such a large international transaction, the retailer was extremely prompt, courteous, reliable, and professional. I received my speakers in just 10 days and they arrived in perfect condition. The upshot of this experience is that BA offered in Europe a finish that was never offered in the U.S.: Arctic White. Absolutely stunning.

If any of you are in a similar situation, I highly recommend this store. The manager's name is Daniel Maggi and his contact info can be found on the website.

Disclaimer: I do not have any financial interest in, or other relationship with, this store.

Congrats on finding some. Did you end up going with VS-240's or VS-260's?

#2,638 ·
Currently I've got a VR12 as my center with some MB Quart mains...I'm thinking about buying some a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 for my mains. Does anyone have any experience with the Paradigm CC-570 V.3 and the VR12 to know how they compare? Thanks!

#2,639 ·
Hi all,

I recently got a BA Soundware S 5.1 system. I like the sound and want to upgrade it to a 7.1 system. I don't much like the looks of the small cube for the center channel, so I was thinking to buy a different speaker for the center channel and one more Soundware S to complete the 7.1 setup. What would be a good match to the Soundwares for a center channel?

#2,640 ·
I've had my ASW 650 subwoofer for about a month now. I've noticed every so often I hear a sort of "pop" sound coming from it. Seems to be either right before a LFE or a few minutes since the last LFE. Is this just it turning itself to standby? I have the toggle switch on the back set to Auto. Is this sound normal?

#2,641 ·
Hi everybody... I'm curious if it'd be ok to power my VR-3's with 440w rms amp? I know that a lot of people will buy higher power amplifiers than what their speakers are rated for so that they'll have that extra headroom and better sound. The amplifier that i'm thinking of purchasing is a crown xls 2500 rated at 440w x 2 @ 8 ohms. My real intentions for this amp is to power 2 JL 10W7's that I have but still need to make a box for each of them to put in my home theater. In the mean time I was thinking of using the amp to power my VR-3's. This will be used for watching movies 90% of the time.

Thank you for your reply!

My current setup:

Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885

AMP: Rotel RMB-1095 (200 watts rms x 5)

Fronts: Boston Acoustics VR-3

Center: Boston Acoustics VR-12

Surrounds: Boston Acoustics Micro 90

Sub: None at the moment

#2,642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile1178  /t/629871/boston-acoustics-owners-thread/2640#post_22377555

Hi everybody... I'm curious if it'd be ok to power my VR-3's with 440w rms amp? I know that a lot of people will buy higher power amplifiers than what their speakers are rated for so that they'll have that extra headroom and better sound. The amplifier that i'm thinking of purchasing is a crown xls 2500 rated at 440w x 2 @ 8 ohms. My real intentions for this amp is to power 2 JL 10W7's that I have but still need to make a box for each of them to put in my home theater. In the mean time I was thinking of using the amp to power my VR-3's. This will be used for watching movies 90% of the time.

Thank you for your reply!

My current setup:

Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885

AMP: Rotel RMB-1095 (200 watts rms x 5)

Fronts: Boston Acoustics VR-3

Center: Boston Acoustics VR-12

Surrounds: Boston Acoustics Micro 90

Sub: None at the moment
There should be no problem as long as you (or anyone else) don't crank the volumes to ridiculous levels. That amp DOES have enough power to blow the drivers if you crank it.

That said, if there are other folks in the house that you might have to worry about, who might turn it up when you're not around,

A) they're pro amps, and do have a gain knob on the front. You could try setting that at half to 2/3rds to limit maximum output. If you're concerned about children for instance, who might turn those knobs up, there should be a setting in your Onkyo that allows you to limit the maximum volume.

Max.

#2,643 ·
Will be listing a mint black VRC in the classifieds soon but figured I would give the loyal BA fans first chance at it, if anyone is interested shoot me a PM (have original box for shipping).

Just picked up a local VR12 and, as many others have said in the past, this has to be one of the best centers that I have ever heard, regardless of brand.

Thanks,

Jason

#2,644 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp  /t/629871/boston-acoustics-owners-thread/2640#post_22388283

Will be listing a mint black VRC in the classifieds soon but figured I would give the loyal BA fans first chance at it, if anyone is interested shoot me a PM (have original box for shipping).

Just picked up a local VR12 and, as many others have said in the past, this has to be one of the best centers that I have ever heard, regardless of brand.

Thanks,

Jason

What did you pay for that VR12? I've got a used one I'm looking to sell. Curious how much they go for.

#2,645 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg  /t/629871/boston-acoustics-owners-thread/2640#post_22389149

What did you pay for that VR12? I've got a used one I'm looking to sell. Curious how much they go for.

I have been watching them for a while and tried to get a VR14 as well but the VR12's still seem to sell used around $200 in good condition. I have seen a mint one go for $280 and a slightly banged up one go for $150. I got really lucky and scored mine for less than any other deal I have seen and it's in great condition (9/10).

Best of luck but I don't think you'll need it as these truly are unmatched centers at these current prices.

Jason

#2,646 ·
#2,650 ·
Selling my E60 monitors in excellent condition. The sides are custom finished in "carbon fiber" look.

For sale ad is in the Classifieds. See the link in my sig for pics.

#2,651 ·
Hey guys been reading this thread for awhile and really want to check out the boston sound as it seems like the type of sound I like based on various people's accounts on the warm, full sound they produce. I'm looking for a pair of towers but my question is what would be a good pair to get that resemble the classic Boston Sound? I'm talking older speakers that I can find used to test them out, I love the look of the new A250 and A360 on their site just not sure I want to take the chance on new ones if I don't like them. I typically go for the setups that have two 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch drivers and do use them for home theater but am mostly interested in music since I'm not all that picky about home theater sound.

If it matters I have a Polk setup currently with Monitor 60's as my mains which I'm pretty happy with but really I've never experimented with much else.