Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #3181 of 3202 Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz View Post
I am becoming a BA convert. I really like the sound of the older bostons, I currently own 2 HD10's(Goodwill) 2 T830's(Goodwill) and a 424v center(E-Bay).the 830's need new foam on the woofers(but since i got them for $14 i think it is not a big deal) I really love the cft3 tweets and am thinking of retro-fitting one into my current center channel as it has the hard vr tweeter at this time.Anyone else here using these older BA's? If so any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
Newbie to the forum. I don't know if it makes sense to reply to a 4 year old post; but it seems to be the most recent on the T-830, so here goes. I am the proud owner of a pair of T-830s which I bought new in 1993 for $550. They are amazing speakers and have stood up against many would be contenders for replacement. If you can believe it, the highly respected SVS Ultra and GoldenEar Triton 7 failed miserably. Also listened to sveral Elac models, Paradigms, and Gallo Classico 3. No dice. There are very few affordable closed box speakers out there now that NHT has gone belly up. Does anyone know of a reasonable upgrade to the T-830 that still has that classic clarity and controlled bass? I am using a 100wpc Rotel amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3202 Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
Newbie to the forum. I don't know if it makes sense to reply to a 4 year old post; but it seems to be the most recent on the T-830, so here goes. I am the proud owner of a pair of T-830s which I bought new in 1993 for $550. They are amazing speakers and have stood up against many would be contenders for replacement. If you can believe it, the highly respected SVS Ultra and GoldenEar Triton 7 failed miserably. Also listened to sveral Elac models, Paradigms, and Gallo Classico 3. No dice. There are very few affordable closed box speakers out there now that NHT has gone belly up. Does anyone know of a reasonable upgrade to the T-830 that still has that classic clarity and controlled bass? I am using a 100wpc Rotel amp.
BTW, I agree.. T-830s are very nice, I also like the T-1030s... have you tried those, or are you looking to go in a different direction?
post #3183 of 3202 Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thanks for the reply, gotcory.

I have not heard the T-1030s. There was a pair of T-930 Series IIs for sale on Long Island I was tinking about auditioning (may still be on eBay); but I will probably never let go of the T-830s, so I don't know if it makes sense to get their bigger-but-not-much-younger brothers. A fellow Jersey boy is selling a pair of Canton 3-way floorstanders for $1,250. I am going to audition them; but I can't find much info on the brand in English.
post #3184 of 3202 Old 04-12-2016, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I apologize for posting this twice as I created a thread in this forum before I noticed that there was a dedicated Boston Acoustics thread, but I think this is were it belongs (sorry mods). Anyway.... to repeat:

So I've just taken some old speakers out of storage, 5pr of Boston Acoustics HD 5's and a pair of Boston Acoustics VRS Dipoles. The foam surrounds on the HD5's were totally shot and literally crumbled in my fingers when I touched them so I just re-foamed all 5 of them and they sound great. My problem is checking the VRS Dipoles. I figured that if the foam surrounds were shot on the HD-5's, the same thing could be true for the VRS's but there's no way that I can get access to the drivers to check them out and being that their small dipoles with two drivers, I don't think a listening test would suffice. Thoughts?
post #3185 of 3202 Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Anyone own or have experience with the classic Boston A100? How do you like it? Is it worth picking up, and how much would you be willing to pay for a pair?
post #3186 of 3202 Old 04-18-2016, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just took possesion of a pair of BA M350s

Color me impressed.

My addiction to Boston Acoustic speakers has been hard and fast. First I bought 3 M25 bookshelfs a couple of weeks ago, penciling them in as LCR in a future HT. Got them, loved them, and proceeded to buy 2 more, thinking that would be my 5 in a 5.2 system. But I stumbled upon a damaged box (speakers are new and pristine) deal on a pair of the 350s.

So now I have 7 BA speakers and only a 5.2 AVR lol

Unfortunately the 350s have to go back in the box until I move in 5 weeks but I examined them (flawless), hooked them up, they played great.

I like the looks of the floorstanders much better than the bookshelfs and I was surprised how diminutive they are - heavy but small.

I might have to sell two of the m25s. The wife is definitely giving me the stink eye!
post #3187 of 3202 Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 503
I bought a set of VR 950s off Craigslist and fell in love with the Boston Acoustic sound. I am going to do the bedroom with BA VR series speakers now. Love the clean clear tweeter.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #3188 of 3202 Old 04-18-2016, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob62 View Post
Color me impressed.

My addiction to Boston Acoustic speakers has been hard and fast. First I bought 3 M25 bookshelfs a couple of weeks ago, penciling them in as LCR in a future HT. Got them, loved them, and proceeded to buy 2 more, thinking that would be my 5 in a 5.2 system. But I stumbled upon a damaged box (speakers are new and pristine) deal on a pair of the 350s.

So now I have 7 BA speakers and only a 5.2 AVR lol

Unfortunately the 350s have to go back in the box until I move in 5 weeks but I examined them (flawless), hooked them up, they played great.

I like the looks of the floorstanders much better than the bookshelfs and I was surprised how diminutive they are - heavy but small.

I might have to sell two of the m25s. The wife is definitely giving me the stink eye!

Keep all of them.
I use two M350's and five M25's...two M25's for front height, one center, and two for surrounds. I have a Klipsch RC-62 center that I swap out occasionally, but the little M25 does such a good job with dialog, I use it instead.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #3189 of 3202 Old 04-19-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
my friends has a set of boston acoustics at home, i found the sound quality very nice for movies,
i just got a karaoke system and i wonder would it be good for karaoke music as well?

ps. total new beginner
post #3190 of 3202 Old 04-19-2016, 08:20 PM

All I know is that if you have a chance. Try some of the Boston Acoustic VR M series speakers

audiofan1 likes this.
post #3191 of 3202 Old 04-24-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I've had my VR-M60s/VR-M50s/VRC (front L/R, rear L/R, centre) combo since 2004 and I have ZERO interest in changing them. Sadly, no new ones available should I want to expand to an Atmos system. Oh well. Guess I'll stay with what I have (no real room for Atmos in my current location).
post #3192 of 3202 Old 04-24-2016, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
I've had my VR-M60s/VR-M50s/VRC (front L/R, rear L/R, centre) combo since 2004 and I have ZERO interest in changing them. Sadly, no new ones available should I want to expand to an Atmos system. Oh well. Guess I'll stay with what I have (no real room for Atmos in my current location).

I think the E40s, 50s or 60s would be a fine match, they occasionally pop up on eBay. There is a complete set of E50s and E40s on there right now, although not exactly cheap.
There are also VRX surrounds that pop up on eBay here and there.
post #3193 of 3202 Old 05-01-2016, 05:04 PM

Do you guys think the VR MX speakers will work fine as Atmos speakers if mounted on the ceiling?

post #3194 of 3202 Old 05-06-2016, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi there,
New poster here.
I am the owner of a set of M350 towers which I enjoy very much. Currently I have it connected to an old Harman Kardon AVR135 which sometimes goes into protect mode on very loud movie scenes (yes, I need to upgrade to something more powerful but am at least starting by upgrading my tiny gauge speaker wire to decent 12 gauge stuff). My HK sub is dead and I'm currently using some pretty rubbish HK satellites as surrounds and have set the centre speaker to phantom mode.

Other than upgrading the receiver down the track, I am also planning on getting either some BA M25 bookshelves or Q Acoustics 3020 (half the price here in Australia) as surrounds. Any thoughts on comparing those two, considering value proposition?

My main question for the folks here is about the choice of centre speaker. I see some people use an M25 as the centre, however I can't see from the specs how it could possibly be better than the BA M Center. The BMR driver on the centre looks really interesting and makes sense for dispersing sound wider and making a much wider sweet spot (less localisation) - something the M350 towers are already good at by virtue of their multiple drivers thus reducing reflection effects in a room. Also the wide range of the BMR driver might create a less obvious crossover as it would be much lower in the range than a typical 2 way speaker. This is all theoretical though. Could somebody please give me some real life feedback on the M Center?

I would like something that acoustically matches the M350s. The place that sold me the M350s suggested using a Dynaudio centre (about the same price here if I include the high shipping costs of the BA from the USA to Australia). I have also been looking at SVS Prime centre which is 3 way and looks great (will be slightly the most expensive option here). Not sure if it will match the M350s sound though?

BTW, my plan for a sub down the track is SVS SB13 Ultra - hardcore!

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
post #3195 of 3202 Old 05-20-2016, 01:23 PM

Boston Acoustic E100 and E70 help requested

1) I have recently moved and have the unfortunate news that my bolts that hold my E100s to their respective bases have gone missing.
2) It also appears that the tweeter on one of my E70s has burned out.

I have called Boston, or whoever owns them now, and they had no idea what size the bolts were nor did they have any leads on where I could purchase a replacement tweeter. Any help you all could provide would be great, nothing is worse than seeing my beautiful E100s relegated to the ground over 8 simple bolts.

Also if anyone is selling E70s or E100s, please let me know.
post #3196 of 3202 Old 06-04-2016, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by username13 View Post
Hi there,
New poster here.
I am the owner of a set of M350 towers which I enjoy very much. Currently I have it connected to an old Harman Kardon AVR135 which sometimes goes into protect mode on very loud movie scenes (yes, I need to upgrade to something more powerful but am at least starting by upgrading my tiny gauge speaker wire to decent 12 gauge stuff). My HK sub is dead and I'm currently using some pretty rubbish HK satellites as surrounds and have set the centre speaker to phantom mode.

Other than upgrading the receiver down the track, I am also planning on getting either some BA M25 bookshelves or Q Acoustics 3020 (half the price here in Australia) as surrounds. Any thoughts on comparing those two, considering value proposition?

My main question for the folks here is about the choice of centre speaker. I see some people use an M25 as the centre, however I can't see from the specs how it could possibly be better than the BA M Center. The BMR driver on the centre looks really interesting and makes sense for dispersing sound wider and making a much wider sweet spot (less localisation) - something the M350 towers are already good at by virtue of their multiple drivers thus reducing reflection effects in a room. Also the wide range of the BMR driver might create a less obvious crossover as it would be much lower in the range than a typical 2 way speaker. This is all theoretical though. Could somebody please give me some real life feedback on the M Center?

I would like something that acoustically matches the M350s. The place that sold me the M350s suggested using a Dynaudio centre (about the same price here if I include the high shipping costs of the BA from the USA to Australia). I have also been looking at SVS Prime centre which is 3 way and looks great (will be slightly the most expensive option here). Not sure if it will match the M350s sound though?

BTW, my plan for a sub down the track is SVS SB13 Ultra - hardcore!

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Haven't heard the M Centre IRL but in reviews online it's evident that it not only goes out of the +/-3dB frame it also imparts a darker tonality than the EWB equipped speakers of the M-series. Here for example: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...UyCeKjq4Xlq.97

Sadly the A225C seems to receive mixed reviews so wouldn't suggest going that route either - I chose to go with an A26 for my A360s it sounding smoother, clearer and more similar to the floor-standers. Missed out on a faulty A360 on eBay, the drivers and X-over of which I considered loading into a VR12 or similar for what could be a closer match in timbre and in power handling.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Boston seems to have slipped on the centre speakers when trying to put some well deserved finesse into what became their current lines. Basically you're bummed if looking for a good enough tonal match as the mids and highs are more revealing in this respect than the lows. The VS and RS series could be better options for centres to look into, in case you would like to stay with Boston.

I might eventually opt to go with a pair of A26s though as smaller cabs and fewer drivers tend to trade off dynamics and purity of sound - suppose you could run a pair of M25s - and you want ample capacity here. The centre position after all is responsible for closer to 80% of the sound in movies and playing back stereo sources in matrixed surround (plenty movies and TV-shows are in this format) tend to cram even more sheep in there.

Sorry if it got a bit long winded or something of a rant.
post #3197 of 3202 Old 06-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm using the M Center with M25s, and I've been pretty happy with it. While the
M25s generally get great reviews, the center gets mixed ones. Oddly enough, my experience has been the opposite. The 25s are a little darker than I'd like, and I can't seem to brighten them enough using my AVR'Ss built in eq. The sound is nice and warm, but I'd prefer a little more crispness in the highs. The center is brighter, and works great for dialog, but it's true that the match isn't quite there. On the other hand, I like that it has the broader frequency range. I set the crossover a little lower to help counter that difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
post #3198 of 3202 Old 06-04-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger1979 View Post
Do you guys think the VR MX speakers will work fine as Atmos speakers if mounted on the ceiling?

These are bipolar, which means they'd be radiation in two directions at a 90* angle from eachother. Bipolar and (even worse) dipolar speakers don't make great Atmos-speakers as such, as their purpose is making the source of sound rather obscure. Should a speaker of choice prove too beamy an coaxial, twin tweeter speaker would make something of a compromise, which still features some directivity.

Then of course every room and ear will react differently to sound. But on this instance the type seems to defeat the purpose to a wider extent.
post #3199 of 3202 Old 06-05-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian79 View Post
1) I have recently moved and have the unfortunate news that my bolts that hold my E100s to their respective bases have gone missing.
2) It also appears that the tweeter on one of my E70s has burned out.

I have called Boston, or whoever owns them now, and they had no idea what size the bolts were nor did they have any leads on where I could purchase a replacement tweeter. Any help you all could provide would be great, nothing is worse than seeing my beautiful E100s relegated to the ground over 8 simple bolts.

Also if anyone is selling E70s or E100s, please let me know.
I just checked the end cap in my E70s, the centre screw is definitely 1/4 UNC. Unfortunately I have no bolt to check the 4x threaded inserts around the perimeter under the end cap. I can tell you it is NOT 1/4 UNC or 1/4 UNF. It is smaller. As best a GUESS im thinking #12 either UNC or UNF. You should be able to figure out the length you need pretty easy. The E70, while shorter (much) the the E100, shares the same external body size. Id think same cast ends?

Regarding your E70 tweeter, it is poor form the owners of BA are not supporting their former flagship product better. Here in Aus, the law is to stock parts and offer repair for 7 years after end of product run. The E60, E70 and E100 share the VRH.O aluminium done with AMD. The E40 and E50 use the VR with AMD. So I guess you have to find a E60 or E70 to get one or replace yours?

I emailed BA USA regarding the wall mounting bracket for E series (they have them listed as still available on their web site) They just gave me a generic reply to deal with the distributor in Aus, I already had, and informed them this and they sent me the same generic email! The bracket are $40 and 3 of them would cost about $60 to post but they are not interested.....

cheers
Serg
post #3200 of 3202 Old 06-09-2016, 01:01 PM

Does anyone know the impedance (and perhaps even the sensitivity) of modern Boston tweeter? I seek to replace my Kortec ones with something else not quite as harsh sounding. They measure 5.7 ohms Re, which could indicate an 8 ohm impedance but would like to know for certain.

They plot at 6 ohms in use in an A360, but then these conjugate links (I believe they're refered to) of the X-overs are there to match impedance and sensitivity between drivers and thus says very little.
post #3201 of 3202 Old 06-21-2016, 01:23 PM

Liked: 13
The m- Center is fine. Not great but not average. It's warm in my opinion and semi-laid back. What I like best about the m-Center is its dimensions, small/powerful, compact, and ascetically pleasing . I have the m340 towers matched up to the m-Center and it works great sonically. On a side note:

If anyone is interested I'm in the process of selling this set. I liked them just moving on. It'll be on the classifieds soon.

Last edited by powercain; 06-23-2016 at 05:28 PM.
post #3202 of 3202 Old 07-18-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercain View Post
The m- Center is fine. Not great but not average. It's warm in my opinion and semi-laid back. What I like best about the m-Center is its dimensions, small/powerful, compact, and ascetically pleasing . I have the m340 towers matched up to the m-Center and it works great sonically.
I have managed to source an M Center in Australia for $450AUD (which must be about half price) but am considering an SVS Ultra Center which is full 3 way design and looks great, but would be $1,100AUD.

Does anybody have any thoughts on whether the SVS Ultra Center would match the Boston M350s or how it might compare to the M Center with it's BMR design and very low crossover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page