Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #3241 of 3258 Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
However I am still concerned that the gear I am interested in and look at first is still out of stock. maybe they are consolidating their lines, which is a good thing. Anyway, If they are going to come out with new speakers, I hope they come out soon and uphold the standards that we value their products for. I am not interested in mediocre soundbars, I need a system that can fill a large room. 16'D x 18' W (24' if you count the open concept dining room) x 17'+ H. Fortunately my Micro80's system 8000 can fill a room that is 13'x24'x8' so I know its not a stretch for BA.
What type speakers are you looking for -- bookshelf or floor standing speakers?

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Digital Phase AP-.5 > Harman Kardon Ten > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Tascam PAR-200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3258 Old 02-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
What type speakers are you looking for -- bookshelf or floor standing speakers?
what i am actually trying to do is build a 5.2.4 atmos setup and that may be skewing my responses. I was primarily looking at bookshelf speakers for the fronts but I want my speakers to match tonally.
post #3243 of 3258 Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
what i am actually trying to do is build a 5.2.4 atmos setup and that may be skewing my responses. I was primarily looking at bookshelf speakers for the fronts but I want my speakers to match tonally.
The A series Boston speakers are well reviewed -- The A26 is also a good option to use as a center channel. You can always by a pair from Amazon to test out
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoust...rds=boston+a26

Use the A25 for surrounds on the 5.2
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoust...rds=boston+a25

They also have the smaller A23
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoust...rds=boston+a23

The HSi in ceiling is one to think about for Atmos
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoust...208585&sr=1-10

Last edited by zieglj01; 02-15-2017 at 05:41 PM.

post #3244 of 3258 Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=zieglj01;50794177]The A series Boston speakers are well reviewed -- The A26 is also a good option to use as a center channel. You can always by a pair from Amazon to test out

Thank you for your recommendations. The specs on the A series are definitely in line with everything else I've looked at so far. I think will pick up a pair of the A26's or A25's and to test. At least I will end up with good pair of speakers for a 2.0 setup or adding to current BA setup for a 5.1.2 system in the den, which will get more daily use than the living room system because it's closer to the bedrooms.

It would definitely be cool to experience the Boston sound in atmos.
zieglj01 likes this.
post #3245 of 3258 Old 02-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The specs on the A series are definitely in line with everything else I've looked at so far. I think will pick up a pair of the A26's or A25's and to test. At least I will end up with good pair of speakers for a 2.0 setup or adding to current BA setup for a 5.1.2 system in the den, which will get more daily use than the living room system because it's closer to the bedrooms.

It would definitely be cool to experience the Boston sound in atmos.
Enjoy the adventure

post #3246 of 3258 Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
The A series Boston speakers are well reviewed -- The A26 is also a good option to use as a center channel. You can always by a pair from Amazon to test out
Shall I take that as you don't get any level of boxiness from the A26 when used as a centre? My listening room isn't very large at all, but I never could get mine to perform in this position without sounding strained. Could be some acoustic phenomenon pertaining to the room rather the speaker.
post #3247 of 3258 Old 03-02-2017, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

Did anyone put M25 bookshelf speaker on a stand? Which stand would you recommend?

Best regards,
Eugene
post #3248 of 3258 Old 03-10-2017, 04:39 PM

I'm still struggling with one of the 965s...

The cross-over still won't pass signal. I thought that if I just resoldered the coil that had come uncoiled that would be the last of it. But as it turns out...

Then the amp plate won't amplify. It kind of goes "pop" on power off, but not as loudly, which would indicate that the output does work as such. It just doesn't pass the attenuated high level through. As if that wasn't enought: the low level input seems to be an closed circuit internally. That's to say there is zero resistance between + and -.

Any suggestions on what to do?
post #3249 of 3258 Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 PM

Does anyone know if the VR960 features the high-level to low-level conversion thing of the 965? I was offered parts for the 960 for repairing my 965, but it seems that the 960s have a smaller amp board (in size as well as smaller component count) and a completely different crossover network (w. just the two coils, suggesting that the lows aren't filtered out).

Obviously the 960s had some issues which were then corrected in the 965s. But I have this hunch some other features were added or changed as well, so I'd better be sure what I'm in for to avoid nasty surprises.
post #3250 of 3258 Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Has anyone used the 5" BA Soundware speakers in a 2.0 or 2.1 setup, are those only good for background listening. i bought a pair a while back to use in the kitchen as background speakers and really liked them, I have to remove them because of my remodel and I want to find a way to repurpose them rather than getting rid of them. Would it be better to add them as fronts in my home theater setup (5.1 Micro 80) and buying dedicated bookshelf speakers for a 2 channel setup, or use the Soundwares and the sub from my home theater in a 2.1 setup and buy a deeper sub for the home theater? The Micro80pv sub is rated down to 30Hz but it may only reach 44
post #3251 of 3258 Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Hi guys,

I need help. I'm having M25 bookshelf speakers now. Is it worth upgrading them to M250 floorstanding speakers?
post #3252 of 3258 Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilencerRUS View Post
Hi guys,

I need help. I'm having M25 bookshelf speakers now. Is it worth upgrading them to M250 floorstanding speakers?
the M250 should play a little louder with about 5 hz more bass -- however, it will be more like a bookshelf speaker with 2 woofers on a stand. Depending on cost, you will have to make that decision. Something like the M340 would be a bigger upgrade.

post #3253 of 3258 Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
the M250 should play a little louder with about 5 hz more bass -- however, it will be more like a bookshelf speaker with 2 woofers on a stand. Depending on cost, you will have to make that decision. Something like the M340 would be a bigger upgrade.
Thank you! I am using them as surround speakers. The idea is to get rid of the awkward looking stands.
post #3254 of 3258 Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
add a sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilencerRUS View Post
Hi guys,

Those are fine speakers. Adding as good entry level sub (like a svs PB-1000 ~$500) is going to make a much greater impact on your system than upgrading to the M250's.
post #3255 of 3258 Old 04-09-2017, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Owner of Micro 9000 System setting up new BA HTS

I have had a Micro 9000 system (micro 90x mains, VRS surrounds, micro90c center and pv90 sub) set up in a small room since late 1998. Overall quality has been excellent. Had to play around with sub placement to smooth out the bass and also stuffed up the sub ports to reduce their activation of standing waves (room is about 11' square - definitely not ideal).

I am now setting up a home theater system with what will be a 55" tv in a larger room. So far I've acquired on ebay a pair of micro 90x's to use as surrounds and just tonight purchased a VR-10 because for $50 plus about $45 shipping costs it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I still don't have that much lateral room to work with because the set up can't block access to storage space and the main speakers will be on a stand that will also hold the TV. So I'm looking for some not too wide main bookshelf speakers that have the VR tweeter. (That tweeter is a large part of the reason I wanted to do another Boston set up.) I have been looking at the VR-M50 (7.1" wide) (available on Ebay for a little over $300 including shipping), the Micro 100x (6.3" wide) available on Craig's List in various locations for considerably less than the VR-50s, the E40 (6" wide) which is hardly available anywhere except as a single speaker at Accessories4less, and the Micro 130x (5" wide), available as new from only one source on Ebay for about $250. I will be getting a sub, probably a 10" downward firing unit.

The left main speaker will be near a wall that creates a notch in the room. The notch wall ends about 12-16" in front of where the left speaker will be. So the narrower the main speaker, the further away it can stay from that wall.

Any advice or suggestions about how to complete the system are appreciated.
post #3256 of 3258 Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I had the same set up as you many years ago (Micro's and VRS surrounds), I still use the VRS surrounds but I purchased the A25's for fronts and the 225C center. I have always preferred the Boston sound and I have to say that the A25's are very satisfying. The Kortec tweeter in the "A" series is very well designed and smoother in the higher frequencies than the SWB tweeter that they used in the VR series. Just a personal observation in my room.

As far as subwoofers, it may be out of what you have budgeted, but I had the opportunity to audition a Rythmik F12 in my room and with the high damping setting on the Rythmik, it was a perfect match with the Boston's all around.
post #3257 of 3258 Old 04-15-2017, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello guys,

Anybody here still using the m350 tower and your thoughts on how they might compare to the A series towers. I know the m series will soon be extinct and I can pick up a new pair for 525.00. At that price is it better than the A-series. Unfortunately I can't audition them before buying.

I have read some mixed online reviews. I don't believe everything I read online good or bad. I also did a search here and read a couple posts a little while back.

I've always been a fan of the BA from back in my car audio days but haven't really kept up with them. Thanks for any help or info.

Sony XBR 940D
Dali Zensor 7
Dali Vokal center
Klipsch RP 240s
Paradigm PDR12
Yamah RX-A1050
post #3258 of 3258 Old Today, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacovish View Post
Hello guys,

Anybody here still using the m350 tower and your thoughts on how they might compare to the A series towers. I know the m series will soon be extinct and I can pick up a new pair for 525.00. At that price is it better than the A-series. Unfortunately I can't audition them before buying.

I have read some mixed online reviews. I don't believe everything I read online good or bad. I also did a search here and read a couple posts a little while back.

I've always been a fan of the BA from back in my car audio days but haven't really kept up with them. Thanks for any help or info.
I do have all M-series speakers. From the aesthetical point of view they are superb! You will like the way they look. Bought them 2,5 years ago and still have them in boxes since my house is not ready yet. So I can't tell you how they sound but something tells me I will not be disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread