Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3050 Old 10-25-2006, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love BA speakers, but the BA subs just don't provide the value of SVS, Hsu or Velodyne.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3050 Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 AM

Liked: 10
OK I returned the BA XB4 sub and I am thinking about the SVS 20-39 Plus I have a little over 3000 cubic feet to fill which spills into another 2000 cubic feet. Eric at SVS recommended the PB12/2 or two 20-39 PC Plus. I like it loud and I may frame some walls (making the space smaller) so I am thinking I should go with one 20-39 PC Plus with my BA speakers. Also should I run LFE signal (LFE+Mains) to my VR2 towers or just LFE only. Any thoughts?

Thanks Everyone!

My system:

Denon AVR 4306

BA VR2 (Front L/R)

BA VRC

BA CR67 (Rear Surround)

Sub ????????
post #453 of 3050 Old 10-25-2006, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkbox View Post

Also should I run LFE signal (LFE+Mains) to my VR2 towers or just LFE only. Any thoughts?

In my experience you lose too much upper bass by setting the recv'r to LFE only. Try it both ways, but I'll bet you prefer the LFE + Main setting.
post #454 of 3050 Old 10-25-2006, 09:21 PM

After much thought I decided to try the Hsu VTF-3 MKII. I talked with reps at both companies and I felt Hsu would be a better match.

Thanks for the info!
post #455 of 3050 Old 10-26-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any Boston owners here have the E100s...........
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/home_...product_id=393

StayThristyMyFriends
post #456 of 3050 Old 10-29-2006, 05:15 PM

Circuit City is now carrying Boston Acoustics!

Hi to all, btw. I lurk here a lot, but don't post much. I have the following setup:

Mains: CR8
Center: CR2
Surround: CR7
Sub: PV700
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V995.
post #457 of 3050 Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

I have an old pair of CR5's that I want to use as surrounds for a HT setup. Would the CRC or the CRC7 be a better match? Thanks for your help.
post #458 of 3050 Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh400 View Post

I have an old pair of CR5's that I want to use as surrounds for a HT setup. Would the CRC or the CRC7 be a better match? Thanks for your help.

What are your mains? It's more important to match your center to your mains than to your surrounds.

The CRC was the match to the CR5, but I don't think there's really much difference between the CRC, CR2 or CR7 - they all have the Kortec tweeter. If I'm wrong - someone please correct me...

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #459 of 3050 Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 AM

I have a CRC7 matched with CR-77s . I find the CRC7 tends to sound "boxy" on all but the very best recordings. I went with the CRC7 as I needed a speaker that would fit on a shelf below my TV. Its small size and/or the shelf placement turned out to be the "weakest link" in my system and I often find that I get a better sound by disactivating the center(phantom mode). YMMV
post #460 of 3050 Old 11-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

What are your mains? It's more important to match your center to your mains than to your surrounds.

The CRC was the match to the CR5, but I don't think there's really much difference between the CRC, CR2 or CR7 - they all have the Kortec tweeter. If I'm wrong - someone please correct me...

I misspoke or miswrote. My CR5's are my mains. Right now I am planning to do this incrementally. I am thinking about a three speaker set up with a relatively inexpensive receiver (Onkyo). Because I already have the CR5's, it seems to make sense to build around those. Eventually I will add a subwoofer, and if I feel the need, rear speakers.

Given that the CRC is less than half the price of the CRC7, if it's a good match with the CR5's, I would be able to put together an acceptable basic system for about $280. But if you think that the CRC7 would match well and is worth the additional $120, it would not break the bank.

Thoughts?
post #461 of 3050 Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 AM

the CR1 is the original matching center for the CR5, 6, 7 - .75" soft tweeter

CR2 is the original match for the CR8 and 9, I believe the CR2 is a 1" soft tweeter

The CR2 is much better than the CR1, and eventually the CR1 was dropped

the CRC has the Kortec tweeter
post #462 of 3050 Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 AM

One thing, Check BA web site. They have some info on older equip and if not, email them. They are always happy to provide information or even manuals for discontinued products.

The recuring theme I get from them is, match the tweeter for the center and mains. And I agree with that. I had a CR1 and was never happy with the way it meshed with the CR8 as mains. I bought the CR1 thinking I would use CR7s as the mains, and ended up buying the bigger ones later. I have since replaced that center.

I thought the CRC7 was intended to go with the CRx7 line of bookshelf speakers.
post #463 of 3050 Old 11-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

BajaBill,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will contact them.
post #464 of 3050 Old 11-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosapien View Post

I have a CRC7 matched with CR-77s . I find the CRC7 tends to sound "boxy" on all but the very best recordings. I went with the CRC7 as I needed a speaker that would fit on a shelf below my TV. Its small size and/or the shelf placement turned out to be the "weakest link" in my system and I often find that I get a better sound by disactivating the center(phantom mode). YMMV

I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my CR7. At first I thought it was a setup issue, as it does sound too boxy/boomy. Oddly enough I went with it for the same reason as you, the physical size was perfect.

Not sure what to do about it though. I really hate the notion of replacing it with another brand, as I've been quite pleased with my CR67s thus far.
post #465 of 3050 Old 11-10-2006, 12:35 PM

Question!

I'm using a set of VR M50's for rear surrounds. For those of you using M60/50 for surrounds, is the preferred set up to have them behind the viewer or beside the viewer in a home theater set up??

The complete system consists of VR-3's, VRMC, VR-M50's, and a SVS 20-39PC-Plus.
post #466 of 3050 Old 11-10-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's what Dolby recommends for direct-firing surrounds:

post #467 of 3050 Old 11-12-2006, 02:43 PM

I am looking to upgrade my 5.1 setup to a 7.1 setup, and I was looking for input on the rear surrounds. Below is my current setup.

BA VR3 Fronts
BA VRC Center
BA VRX Side Surrounds
Sony Sub; Sony Receiver

I was going to stick with the VR line for the rear surround, unless someone has a better idea. I am leaning towards going with the VRBs, but should I consider the VR1 or another set of the VRX? I am under the impression that the VRX line is more for a side surround, but I have seen others use it as a rear surround. I have to upgrade my receiver also, but I am still on the fence if I should wait until the 1.3 HDMI receivers roll out and reach a reasonable price (but that is another story).

Thank you for your input.

Ryan
post #468 of 3050 Old 11-12-2006, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannoss View Post

I am looking to upgrade my 5.1 setup to a 7.1 setup, and I was looking for input on the rear surrounds. Below is my current setup.

BA VR3 Fronts
BA VRC Center
BA VRX Side Surrounds
Sony Sub; Sony Receiver

I was going to stick with the VR line for the rear surround, unless someone has a better idea. I am leaning towards going with the VRBs, but should I consider the VR1 or another set of the VRX? I am under the impression that the VRX line is more for a side surround, but I have seen others use it as a rear surround. I have to upgrade my receiver also, but I am still on the fence if I should wait until the 1.3 HDMI receivers roll out and reach a reasonable price (but that is another story).

Thank you for your input.

Ryan

You'd probably be best to use the BA VRX that you use for your side surrounds. It'll best match. Best thing I bet you could do is get a new receiver. Sony has never been known for making good receivers. Depending on what you are looking at, you could go Panasonic, HK, Denon, Marantz, and more. All depends on money.

Hope that helps you out Ryan,

~Ryan

Marantz SR7500 Receiver, MA500 Power Amps, DV7600 DVD/CD Player, M&K MX-105 Subwoofer
Monitor Audio RS6 fronts, RSLCR center, RS1 rears
Sony 46XBR8 TV
post #469 of 3050 Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 PM

Hi,

I have a question for the BA experts. I have a CR2, a pair of CR8s, and a pair of A60s that I got about 20 years ago. I have been using the A60s as the fronts and CR8s for surrounds. For those with insight, would you recommend the reverse configuration? I see from posts above that the CR2 and CR8 were supposedly matches for one another. Thanks.
post #470 of 3050 Old 11-14-2006, 03:23 PM

I have the CR8s and a CR2 in the front and it sounds great. You could always set them up next to each other with the CR2 in the middle and do an A/B comparison.
post #471 of 3050 Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I was considering "Upgrading? " to Axioms, maybe it's not such an upgrade, but...

I have:
CR75 mains
CRC center
Micro90 surrounds
PV600 sub

I am NOW considering just buying a set of the Axiom QS4/8 surround speakers, and/OR upgrading my CENTER to a used VR12 or VR920.

90+% of use is for Movies, so obviously the center is top dog in my scenario.

When I was buying my Bostons, I didn't have alot of scratch(still don't though!!), I wanted to buy the VRM60's with a VR12, but couldn't afford it.

The CR75's use a Kortec tweeter, and I noticed the VR12/VR920/VRC use a different tweeter- VR or VR HO tweeters.

Has anyone here used a VRC/VR12/VR920 with a CR75/85 setup?
If so, was it seamless, or did the center stick out like a sore thumb?

IMO the CRC, is a rather whimpy center channel speaker, but I want something that'll not only be much better, but sound SIMILAR to the CR75's....

Like I said, I was considering going to the Axiom setup(looking at the M22 or M3 for mains, VP150 center,QS4/8 for surrounds), but I really think upgrading the center, and the surrounds will do the trick in my case.

Thoughts?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #472 of 3050 Old 11-21-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc9789 View Post

Wonder what's the difference between the CR65 and CR67? Has anyone done a side by side comparison? The CR65 can be had for under $100 a pair. Is it worthwhile to pay the extra for the CR67?

I saw this posted, but didn't see any response.
Currently the CR75 can be had for 60% of the CR67. I saw someone preferred the cr67, but does the difference justify the cost? (I know this is a personal preference- asking opinions).

Also, as was mentioned, there are Factory Renewed deals out there.
Does anyone here have experience with BA renewed speakers?

VR-1 renewed speakers are available for 50% original, and I'm wondering if this is a good deal.
post #473 of 3050 Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone here ever rip out the hunk of crap "Passive" Radiators in these centers and install a BA- MATCHING woofer(to the actual driver)?
I'd think it would require a new crossover?

I have a CRC, and while it sounds "OK", I really feel I am missing ALOT, the BEST BA centers use 2 active drivers, the vr12 and 920, none of this "passive" garbage.

Anyone tried this?
Rant mode on:\\
I am getting a bit tired of trying to find a "DECENT" BA center, all I see are VRC,VR-MC, CRC, CRC7, blah blah blah...., the 100 year old, awesome, VR12 is hard to come by, even on Ebay(for a reasonable price in great shape), the 920 seems to be even less available.....

It just seems to me that BA doesn't give a crap about HT, considering that HT is based on DIALOG, and they dumped their best centers, for subpar replacements.

I have been searching for a VR12 or VR920 in good shape, reasonable price......... it's stupid, I'm considering moving to a different manufacturer because they REFUSE to sell a decent CC anymore....

I am NOT trying to offend anyone that owns these CC's, I heard them when I was auditioning speakers, and TBO IMO they severley fell behind the 12 and 920

I've seen some dumb stuff, but this is right up there.
Rant Mode Off:/

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #474 of 3050 Old 11-22-2006, 11:29 PM

Has anyone in here ever heard the 'rare' Boston A28 speakers?
There is a pair on Ebay at the moment, curious about those!
post #475 of 3050 Old 11-23-2006, 08:41 AM

Another question for ya'll:

Is there a difference between Boston VRS annd VRS Pro surrounds?
If so, what?
post #476 of 3050 Old 11-23-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Anyone here ever rip out the hunk of crap "Passive" Radiators in these centers and install a BA- MATCHING woofer(to the actual driver)?
I'd think it would require a new crossover?

I have a CRC, and while it sounds "OK", I really feel I am missing ALOT, the BEST BA centers use 2 active drivers, the vr12 and 920, none of this "passive" garbage.

Anyone tried this?
Rant mode on:\\
I am getting a bit tired of trying to find a "DECENT" BA center, all I see are VRC,VR-MC, CRC, CRC7, blah blah blah...., the 100 year old, awesome, VR12 is hard to come by, even on Ebay(for a reasonable price in great shape), the 920 seems to be even less available.....

It just seems to me that BA doesn't give a crap about HT, considering that HT is based on DIALOG, and they dumped their best centers, for subpar replacements.

I have been searching for a VR12 or VR920 in good shape, reasonable price......... it's stupid, I'm considering moving to a different manufacturer because they REFUSE to sell a decent CC anymore....

I am NOT trying to offend anyone that owns these CC's, I heard them when I was auditioning speakers, and TBO IMO they severley fell behind the 12 and 920

I've seen some dumb stuff, but this is right up there.
Rant Mode Off:/

I agree 110%. The 2 most important speakers in a surround system, the center and the sub, are Boston's Achilles heel, unfortunately.
post #477 of 3050 Old 11-23-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ View Post

I agree 110%. The 2 most important speakers in a surround system, the center and the sub, are Boston's Achilles heel, unfortunately.

I'm actually looking into the Ascend 340SE's now,I WAS digging HARD for a new pr of VRM60's for a good price, I FINALLY found a new pr- great price.....
Guess what?

No great CC to go with them!!

So I'm leaning toward the 340se's across the 3 fronts.
Perfectly matched, great sound....... hmmmm what do ya know?

post #478 of 3050 Old 11-23-2006, 06:18 PM

I have a VR-MC that I feel, while it is not subpar, could be improved upon. It does a decent job. I got lucky a couple of years ago and found someone locally selling a single VR-M60 which I bought to match up with my FL and FR VR-M60's to have a completely matched front soundstage.
post #479 of 3050 Old 11-24-2006, 07:27 PM

I just picked up five new BA VRi593 in wall speakers on clearance for a really good price. Anyone ever heard these in a 5.1 HT application? The store had discontinued the Boston line and sold their in-wall demos prior to my being able to listen to them. Should I keep them or return them? I won't be able to install them for about a year.
post #480 of 3050 Old 11-25-2006, 07:00 AM

Has anyone compared the VR12 to the Ascend Acoustics 340 or 340SE center channels?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread