Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 3002 Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Slidell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Slidell, La.
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

Yeah, I was originally using the preouts and powering them with a Carvin hd1800. I found a measurement of the Yamaha amp section though, and with two channels driven into 8ohms, it can do ~159 watts at 0.1% distortion. These speakers ar 93db sensitive at 1 watt, so I relieved the Carvin of its speaker duties and plugged them back into the Yamaha. If I decide to start listening at reference levels when I get a house, I may put it back to work, but for even spirited levels now, I was just wasting juice

Good stuff, it's nice to know the 5890 get this extra headroom with two channels driven.

BTW, I just cleaned my glasses, I have the 5960 ..a bit less headroom here for my non-THX receiver.
Slidell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 3002 Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Newbie
 
markab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA State
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great forum here guys. I just did a total system makeover around my BA Lynnfeild VR965's. You know, I had forgot the reason why I had bought these speakers (guess the Sony DA333ES was mostly to blame). After 3 years of mediocre sound, my 965's were reborn. I just purchased a shiny new Marantz SR 8001 and Marantz DV 7600 and alas I have finally found the true potential of VR965's, I think I remember that sound from the showroom. Damn they do sound nice. It's amazing what 125 clean watts per channel will do for an already nice pair of speakers. Tomorrow I receive my NHT Classic 3's for rear surrounds and the NHT Classic 3 C for a center. Timbre should be matched spot on with this acquistion (at least tech supprt from both NHT and BA says so......). Now I am not sure what way to go to replace my less than fair KLH downfiring 12" sub. I have about $1000 left in my budget for this upgrade (at least that's what my wife tells me if I even want to think about playing golf this year). I see Velodyne is a popular choice here, but I'm not sure that will keep me in my budget. Does anyone have any suggestions? Just a little more info. I prefer to listen to music, but, with the addition of this superb receiver and DVD/SACD player and a 50" Samsung Plasma, I'm really enjoying the music DVD's available on the market. Don't tell the wife, but I spent 300 bucks on various music DVD's today . Also the room that the system is in is rather large 26'X16'. I'm wondering if I should hook the 965's subs to the LFE, and run the KLH (or a smaller Polk audio sub) as a sub for the surrounds? Or should I just keep it simple and give up golf for a year and spend the bucks for a sub that will shake the house off of the foundation? Any and all inut from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
markab1 is offline  
post #543 of 3002 Old 02-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Member
 
kentonhq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexortega View Post

I have the full Boston Acoustics THX System VR35 Front THX , VR14 Center THX, VRS Pro THX and the big daddy VR2000THX.....8 years on and these speakers are awesome. They are connected to my Yamaha RX-Z9 THX Ultra 2 Receiver.

Since then i have also added VR-MX for my surround backs and CR-75 for Presence.

The VR14 Center takes 250W RMS...crazy!!

Too bad BA don't build speakers like this anymore!

If you find these speakers on Ebay snap them up...they are one of the best speakers done by BA as complete high end set.

Alex, I found a seller on the net for the Boston VR 35 THX Tower speaker, Boston VR 2000 subwoofer, Boston VRS Pro Rear speaker for less than $500. I have yet paid to have them shipped. The shipping cost is quite expensive, it's around $175 for them all. Still wondering if I should get them or not. What do you think about them since you own these.

What's the difference between the VR12 and VR14 center? I talked with a tech guy at BA and he told me the VR14 is the same as the VR35 front, only that the VR14 is built to lay horizontally as center speaker. BA first released the THX package, the VR14 was the center speaker for this set (VR35 THX, VRS Pro, VR 2000).

I don't see anyone selling the VR14 center, VR35 THX front, VR2000 subwoofer on eBAY at all. Why is that?
kentonhq is offline  
post #544 of 3002 Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 AM
 
PULLIAMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 8,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I listened to the VR2s the other day. I liked the sound, but there is something that confuses me about the design. They made the front of the grill flush with the baffle by raising the baffle on either side of it. This creates thick, sharp-cornered ledges. Why does this not lead to severe diffraction issues?
PULLIAMM is offline  
post #545 of 3002 Old 02-01-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hdmi4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonhq View Post

I don't see anyone selling the VR14 center, VR35 THX front, VR2000 subwoofer on eBAY at all. Why is that?

How long have you been searching? There won't necessarily be a continuous supply of them on eBay. You have to keep trying every few days. Sometimes there will be a stretch where there is nothing that you're looking for, followed by multiple sellers with auctions for the same thing.
hdmi4ever is offline  
post #546 of 3002 Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Newbie
 
rdhsdh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My configuration:

Front L/R: VR965
Center: VR910
Surround: Klipsch SS.5 Surrounds
SubWoofer: PV400
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR635

I have a dilemma about how to configure my subwoofers. The VR965s have built in 8" sub woofers with a separate connection for LFE. I also have the standalone PV400 subwoofer. My current configuration is setup in a way where the LFE from the receiver goes directly into the standalone subwoofer. The built-in subs in the VR965s are not even connected and hence not being used at all. Does anyone here have a similar setup? And if so, I'd like to know if I would be getting a better bass if I used a splitter and connected the LFE output to the standalone sub as well as the sub in the VR965?

A related question about the crossover - I tried the EQ built in the receiver and it recommended a cross-over of 80Hz. The VR965 specs say that the crossover is 150Hz. Wouldn't I be better off to set the crossover at 150? I guess I could simply try it and trust my years, but I wanted to see if others have tried this and could share their experience.

Thanks!
rdhsdh is offline  
post #547 of 3002 Old 02-01-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:


Now I am not sure what way to go to replace my less than fair KLH downfiring 12" sub. I have about $1000 left in my budget for this upgrade (at least that's what my wife tells me if I even want to think about playing golf this year). I see Velodyne is a popular choice here, but I'm not sure that will keep me in my budget. Does anyone have any suggestions?

When it comes to subs, you really should consider DIY. Very easy to outdo anything commercial for much less cost. Hop on over to the DIY section and check out some projects.

Quote:


They made the front of the grill flush with the baffle by raising the baffle on either side of it. This creates thick, sharp-cornered ledges. Why does this not lead to severe diffraction issues?

I was concerned about this as well when first seeing them up close in person. I don't know how they counteract it, but the end result sounds great and gives a flat FR.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SteveCallas is online now  
post #548 of 3002 Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Newbie
 
khus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,
Am considering a pair of Bravo II's along with a sub primarily for music. I need a wall mount( on wall or in wall) and like the portability and architectural look of the Bravo II's. Boston lists them as all-purpose. I can't find any reviews, so am hoping for some input.
Thanks, Khus
khus is offline  
post #549 of 3002 Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Slidell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Slidell, La.
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FWIW :

Who owns Boston Acoustics? The same people who own Denon and McIntosh

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4500452&EDATE=
Slidell is offline  
post #550 of 3002 Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Member
 
Henry Lambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhsdh View Post

My configuration:

Front L/R: VR965
Center: VR910
Surround: Klipsch SS.5 Surrounds
SubWoofer: PV400
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR635

I have a dilemma about how to configure my subwoofers. The VR965s have built in 8" sub woofers with a separate connection for LFE. I also have the standalone PV400 subwoofer. My current configuration is setup in a way where the LFE from the receiver goes directly into the standalone subwoofer. The built-in subs in the VR965s are not even connected and hence not being used at all. Does anyone here have a similar setup? And if so, I'd like to know if I would be getting a better bass if I used a splitter and connected the LFE output to the standalone sub as well as the sub in the VR965?

A related question about the crossover - I tried the EQ built in the receiver and it recommended a cross-over of 80Hz. The VR965 specs say that the crossover is 150Hz. Wouldn't I be better off to set the crossover at 150? I guess I could simply try it and trust my years, but I wanted to see if others have tried this and could share their experience.

Thanks!

Keep the crossover at 80Hz. All speakers set to small. Sub to yes. LFE to PV400.
The 965's have an internal crossover that sends the < 150Hz frequencies to the 8" driver. The built in subs are being used with the above set up. They are playing the frequencies between 80 and 150Hz.
Enjoy your system.
Henry Lambert is offline  
post #551 of 3002 Old 02-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Slidell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Slidell, La.
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SteveCallas, since you running an external sub and the adjustable LFE on the Yamaha, are you setting your VR3's to large and/with LFE to Sub or other? I'm guessing that you cross at 40hz?

I have an RS SPL meter, which software do you recommend or did you just log values then adjust?

My VR3's are on truck but I'm 3 weeks away from getting my hands on them so curious since many have BTDT.

TIA
Slidell is offline  
post #552 of 3002 Old 02-04-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:


SteveCallas, since you running an external sub and the adjustable LFE on the Yamaha, are you setting your VR3's to large and/with LFE to Sub or other? I'm guessing that you cross at 40hz?

I'm crossed at 80hz with the VR3s set to small. The displacement of the Avalanche 18 driver is much more than the four 7" drivers in the VR3s, and the Avalanche uses XBL^2 to boot, keeping distortion really low. By doing this, I'm keeping a light load on the VR3s, allowing for great dynamics and really low distortion in the upper bass 80-250hz range, and the sub is simply cake walking along as well.

Quote:


I have an RS SPL meter, which software do you recommend or did you just log values then adjust?

I use RoomEQ Wizard, it allows for automatic sweeps, much faster than manually measuring at each frequency. You can find it at www.hometheatershack.com.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SteveCallas is online now  
post #553 of 3002 Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hdmi4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Now the VR2's are starting to get really impressive. I put some rubber beneath them so they won't be standing on the raw tiles, and brought them closer together (they were farther apart from each other than the distance from me to them due to the furniture arrangement) and listened to the same CDs again. Lots more detail came out of them. I couldn't believe they were the same speakers.

Once I properly rearrange the furniture, get panels on the walls, and a big rug on the floor, they should sound good enough to quench my upgraditis for at least a year or two.
hdmi4ever is offline  
post #554 of 3002 Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
hdmi, what I have found as well with the VR3s is that the slight increase in highs allows for minimal toe in without losing top end detail. As one gets off axis from a tweeter, the top end rolls off a litttle - with a natural slight rise in the top end, one can be a little off axis and the end result will still be a flat FR. By using very little toe in, one can increase the width of the soundstage quite substantially. If you have them toed in pretty far, I'd recommend trying very little. If you are already using very little toe in, nevermind


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SteveCallas is online now  
post #555 of 3002 Old 02-05-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hdmi4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Actually, they are toed in to point head-on at the listening position. Maybe I'll reduce it a bit next time.
hdmi4ever is offline  
post #556 of 3002 Old 02-05-2007, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes, please try it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SteveCallas is online now  
post #557 of 3002 Old 02-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Slidell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Slidell, La.
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post


I use RoomEQ Wizard, it allows for automatic sweeps, much faster than manually measuring at each frequency. You can find it at www.hometheatershack.com.

Good site. Now thinking about renting a BFD from Guitar Center to see how how well the bass EQ works. I have to borrow a USB sound card for my lap top as well. I'm not happy with my bass as I cannot fine tune it so things could get interesting next month when I'm back in the states.
Slidell is offline  
post #558 of 3002 Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hdmi4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

hdmi, what I have found as well with the VR3s is that the slight increase in highs allows for minimal toe in without losing top end detail. As one gets off axis from a tweeter, the top end rolls off a litttle - with a natural slight rise in the top end, one can be a little off axis and the end result will still be a flat FR. By using very little toe in, one can increase the width of the soundstage quite substantially. If you have them toed in pretty far, I'd recommend trying very little. If you are already using very little toe in, nevermind

I tried them with just a slight toe-in, getting up periodically to turn them inwards again directly at the listening position. It sounded different, but I'm not sure which way I like better.

I also did some grille-on/grille-off listening, and I think I actually prefer the grille on slightly.
hdmi4ever is offline  
post #559 of 3002 Old 02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Newbie
 
SaysNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have VR2's out front, a VR12 in the center, and a Hsu sub in the corner. Last on the laundry list is rears. As a novice, I don't know if I need to timbre match with everything else or just get any old pair of rears.

The rears need to be wall mounted and will sit 2 feet behind, 6 feet to either side, and 4 feet above the listening area...which is a large 2-story family room.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the perfect compliment to the rest of my system? Also, does anyone know of a website that reviews a wide range of rears?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Csenar (SaysNuts)
SaysNuts is offline  
post #560 of 3002 Old 02-07-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I also did some grille-on/grille-off listening, and I think I actually prefer the grille on slightly.

Yeah, same here. I'm pretty sure they were designed to keep the grills on due to the way it connects at the sides as Pulliam mentioned earlier.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SteveCallas is online now  
post #561 of 3002 Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Slidell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Slidell, La.
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaysNuts View Post

I have VR2's out front, a VR12 in the center, and a Hsu sub in the corner. Last on the laundry list is rears. As a novice, I don't know if I need to timbre match with everything else or just get any old pair of rears.

The rears need to be wall mounted and will sit 2 feet behind, 6 feet to either side, and 4 feet above the listening area...which is a large 2-story family room.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the perfect compliment to the rest of my system? Also, does anyone know of a website that reviews a wide range of rears?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Csenar (SaysNuts)

IMHO mine are not timbre matched and never will be for rear surround movie tracks, I'm not replacing my very good surrounds just to match the front 3. You have the option so can go either way depending on budget. If I was buying all new, then, I would lean toward matched surrounds. Again budget and how much time you have may come into play?

Others may disagree but other than good sound quality, what voice timbre could be this critical on rear surrounds? The whine of a bullet or overhead jets?
Slidell is offline  
post #562 of 3002 Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
SaysNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Slidell.

You mentioned you have good surrounds. Is there a website you know of that independantly reviews rear speakers so I can better understand which ones are good, bad, a good value, etc.?

Rob
SaysNuts is offline  
post #563 of 3002 Old 02-07-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Jeremy Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Four Setups

Setup 1, 5.1
VR12 Center
VRM60 Fronts
VRM50 Rears
Velodyne HGS12 Sub

Setup 2, 7.1
DSi460 Front/Center (3 total)
DSi465 Surround/Rear Surround (4 total)
PV700 Sub

Setup 3, 2.0
Voyager 6 for the patio

Setup 4, 2.0
Micro 60 for the bedroom.


I am very happy with all setups.

I just upgrade my receiver to a Sony 5200ES form a Sony 50ES. The difference was not subtle on the in-wall setup. The difference came from the auto EQ on the 5200.

Jeremy Snow
Jeremy Snow is offline  
post #564 of 3002 Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Member
 
amtctt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just found this thread, awesome!!!! I got into BA about 6 years ago when i began working at ultimate electronics, no longer work there. I had some $$ saved and i found the lovely vr-m80 mains. hooked that up. then i couldn't make any money there so i never bought anything else. still have the m80 mains, but haven't been able to afford anything else. Someday, maybe.

so:
Mains: VR-M80
center:crappy
rears: crappy
sub: ok boomy cerwin vega
receiver: onkyo 787 (i think)

amtctt is offline  
post #565 of 3002 Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Slidell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Slidell, La.
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaysNuts View Post

Thanks Slidell.

You mentioned you have good surrounds. Is there a website you know of that independantly reviews rear speakers so I can better understand which ones are good, bad, a good value, etc.?

Rob

You can get a good idea on this site Whatever anyone says, it's still you that has to listen to them, and live with them. If you like the Boston's go over to CC and listen to the surrounds, most stores you have a 30 day return. If you got caviar taste, head for the sound salons to see what the big dog$ sound like.

Most of all take your time and have fun!
Slidell is offline  
post #566 of 3002 Old 02-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Newbie
 
Poogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a new poster, long time reader.......

It's time to upgrade my current Boston HT setup and I'd appreciate feedback from you experts:

Currently have:

Fronts: CR65's
Surround: CR6's
Center: VR910
Sub: Cerwin-Vega LW-12
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5250
60% music (classical, rock, jazz, acoustic)/40% movies

I first want to upgrade the Mains. I'm considering the VR-M50's (while I can still get them). If I get those, they are probably going in my entertainment center in one of those lower level bookshelves with a mesh in the door. Yeah, I guess that is a big no-no from a purist perspective.

So, those of you with the VR-M50's. Can they function as mains? Am I going to notice a huge difference when placed in the entertainment center versus outside on a stand? Are they that much better than CR65's or should I be considering floorstanding units? I'm also considering VR2 or VR3's. Are they worth the price jump from the VR-M50's?

Thanks in advance...............
Poogle is offline  
post #567 of 3002 Old 02-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Newbie
 
joeydc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering upgrading my VRC center channel to the E70 and was wondering if anyone had an opinion based on first-hand experience.

Current Set-up:
Mains: VR3
Center: VRC
Surround side: VRX
Surround back: VRX

I can get my hands on an E70 for less than $400. I am not totally satisfied with the VRC (power handling, small drivers) The E70 uses a similar 1" VRH.O. tweeter of that in my VR3's.

Suggestions? Other good Center Channels to recommend?

Thanks,
Joe
joeydc2 is offline  
post #568 of 3002 Old 02-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Slidell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Slidell, La.
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydc2 View Post

I am considering upgrading my VRC center channel to the E70 and was wondering if anyone had an opinion based on first-hand experience.

Current Set-up:
Mains: VR3
Center: VRC
Surround side: VRX
Surround back: VRX

I can get my hands on an E70 for less than $400. I am not totally satisfied with the VRC (power handling, small drivers) The E70 uses a similar 1" VRH.O. tweeter of that in my VR3's.

Suggestions? Other good Center Channels to recommend?

Thanks,
Joe


PM me if you want to sell the POS VRC Sorry, I don't have any time on the E70.
Slidell is offline  
post #569 of 3002 Old 02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:


I first want to upgrade the Mains. I'm considering the VR-M50's (while I can still get them). If I get those, they are probably going in my entertainment center in one of those lower level bookshelves with a mesh in the door. Yeah, I guess that is a big no-no from a purist perspective.

So, those of you with the VR-M50's. Can they function as mains? Am I going to notice a huge difference when placed in the entertainment center versus outside on a stand? Are they that much better than CR65's or should I be considering floorstanding units? I'm also considering VR2 or VR3's. Are they worth the price jump from the VR-M50's?

You will absolutely be compromising sound quality by placing a speaker inside a shelf/cabinet. Go with stands or the floorstanders. As for whether you will prefer the VR2s/3s to the VR-M50s, only your ears can tell you for sure, try to audition them. That said, if you listen to 60% music, the floorstanders have certain undeniable advantages over small bookshelves.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SteveCallas is online now  
post #570 of 3002 Old 02-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Newbie
 
Poogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the feedback. Obviously, I've got to listen to these myself, but I'm curious as to anyone's own personal opinions regarding the VR1's versus the VRM50's. The 50's can be had for around 4 bills and man does that sound attractive. The VR1's are the most approachable tower for me right now in terms of budget.
Poogle is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Asw650 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off