Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3002 Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuivo View Post

Ok, so a pair a VRX + a pair of direct would not be a good choice eventually for 7.1 but would be nice on a 5.1 only, right?

For the E40, I cannot listen to them, the store I go to does not carry them. Plus I'm in the VR series, not the VRM (VR2 tower).

What about Bravo II? Are they good for 5.1 or just for 7.1? VRX and BravoII use the same tweeter. I was also thinking about CR Bookshelf or VRB, but the CR does not use the same tweeter.

But I really liked the "esthetic" part of the BravoII.

Would like your opinion on the Various surrond option, so confusing!!

Hmm, that's a tough call. I would probably go with the Bravos in your case because i think you will those more when you get into discrete 7.1. The VRXs would be great, but i think when you get into 7.1, i think you'll be happier with the direct Bravos. And dang it, how'd i spell esthetic? Astetic or something? Man, spelling was not my strong area. Wherever you plan on purchasing this stuff, make sure they have a good return policy and i would buy them both and audition them at your own home and see what you think. that's probably the best advice. Such a huge difference at home versus in a listening room or something at a store.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3002 Old 04-23-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs55 View Post

I've had this setup for nearly a year. I live in a smallish apartment so it's plenty loud. It's great for movies and games and just ok for music imo.

Fronts:CR57
Center:CRC7
Rears: Microcube 120
Sub: Def tech supercube 2

Reciever: Denon 1907
Display device: Pioneer pro940. Just got it so I thought I'd throw it in.

nice man, love the supercubes and as far as plasma goes doesn't really get much better than the pro940. nice work man.

post #723 of 3002 Old 04-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Hi,

Just wandering the quality of the VR-10 versus the quality of other existing center to match the VR2 towers.

I know the VRC is weak compared to the VR2, and I got a great deal from a local store on one.

So what's your though? I know the VR12 is probably the best one, but looking for the second best

Also, would it match well with the VR2 tower. My initial guess is yes since it uses the same tweeter as the VR12 but lower bass right?

Thanks!
post #724 of 3002 Old 04-24-2007, 03:18 PM

I have been upgrading my HT the last couple years and now need surrounds in a 5.1 system. My local shop where I get a great discount on my BA speakers only carries the CR bookshelf and the CRC7. The local Tweeter is going out of business and has the Polk RXi3 for $132 ea. I currently only use my rear speaker for movies and stick with by fronts when playing music. Any thoughts to if this would be a good match.

Receiver: Yamaha 2500
Fronts: Boston CR77
Center: Boston CRC7
Sub: Hsu STF2
post #725 of 3002 Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi,

Just wandering the quality of the VR-10 versus the quality of other existing center to match the VR2 towers.

I know the VRC is weak compared to the VR2, and I got a great deal from a local store on one.

So what's your though? I know the VR12 is probably the best one, but looking for the second best

Also, would it match well with the VR2 tower. My initial guess is yes since it uses the same tweeter as the VR12 but lower bass right?

Thanks!

The tweeter on the old Boston centers isn't exactly the same as the VR2, but it's quite close.

Based on what has been written about them in several places, from best to worst the old Boston centers that match the VR1/2/3 are:

VR12
VR920
VR10
VR910

I have the VR10 with a pair of VR2s. The details and dialog are very clear, except if you crank it up really loud, then it starts to struggle to keep up with the VR2s and some distortion kicks in. However, I'm not going to crank it up that loud for actual listening, so it doesn't bother me. If you plan to really hit it loud you'd want to go for the beefier VR12 or VR920 (unfortunately they aren't cheap on eBay ... especially the VR12 which can go for $500-$600).
post #726 of 3002 Old 04-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Got my VR-MC last night. It is awesome. Looks great too.

post #727 of 3002 Old 04-25-2007, 09:33 AM

Good, I would have been curious to see the sound of that VRMC.

I've just ordered a VR-10 from ebay. First time I buy without listening. I've seen many review that say is nearly as good as the VR12 with less space (Of course, VR12 seems the best one). But, reading reviews, it seems to do a better job than the VRC.

As for putting it loud, my receiver is close to 130W per channel, and I've seen this center is rated at up to 150W. Even that, my receiver is never close to 0!!

Now for the surround, will go do some serious listening to those Bravo II. 5.1, here I come!
post #728 of 3002 Old 04-25-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Good, I would have been curious to see the sound of that VRMC.

I've just ordered a VR-10 from ebay. First time I buy without listening. I've seen many review that say is nearly as good as the VR12 with less space (Of course, VR12 seems the best one). But, reading reviews, it seems to do a better job than the VRC.

As for putting it loud, my receiver is close to 130W per channel, and I've seen this center is rated at up to 150W. Even that, my receiver is never close to 0!!

Now for the surround, will go do some serious listening to those Bravo II. 5.1, here I come!

Sweet!! good work man. What receiver are you using? let us know how it all works out for ya.

post #729 of 3002 Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 AM

Yeah, I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX 82. I plan to test this as soon as it gets here (probably early next week).Hoping to get a real good soundstage with it.

I just hope now that the surronds will be great too! Bravo II seems a good choice, real nice speakers. Just curious what kind of sound will come out of those compared to bigger speakers. But hey, I don't think surround need a big enclosure for bass right so it should be ok!

Taking your surround suggestion for the last sprint... Also, might throw in sub recommandation. I live in an apartement, so I have no need for a sub that would a city hall shakes!
post #730 of 3002 Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX 82...

Awesome, i would love to get a hold of one of those. Or one of the new Onkyo's with HDMI 1.3. I would just love to have PCM surround. sounds so amazing. My bro has one of the Elite 74 receivers and some pretty solid Def Techs and PCM sounded awesome.

post #731 of 3002 Old 04-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtctt View Post

Awesome, i would love to get a hold of one of those. Or one of the new Onkyo's with HDMI 1.3. I would just love to have PCM surround. sounds so amazing. My bro has one of the Elite 74 receivers and some pretty solid Def Techs and PCM sounded awesome.

Yup, they are awesome, 1080p via HDMI, 7.1, nice look and accept just about everything. As for HDMI 1.3, I was hesitating about waiting for it, but after some serious reading, most of the BD or HDDVD will convert truHD or DTS HD to PCM. So I think it was enough future proof!!
post #732 of 3002 Old 04-28-2007, 07:16 PM

Its happened I finally got my VR3s wow what a difference they make over my VR1's. Let me Tell you the VR1's make amazing Rears. I cant wait to get a new receiver so i can do 7.1 and use my cr's as surrounds.
post #733 of 3002 Old 04-28-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:

the Onkyo's that do 1.3 are only pass through they are not 1.3 sound. you can however use Sony es, and Yamaha has a few that are 1.2a which means that they support the 7.1 PCM and Super Audio CD's
post #734 of 3002 Old 04-28-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoverings View Post

the Onkyo's that do 1.3 are only pass through they are not 1.3 sound. you can however use Sony es, and Yamaha has a few that are 1.2a which means that they support the 7.1 PCM and Super Audio CD's

Even the ones that are just coming out? such as the 805?

post #735 of 3002 Old 04-29-2007, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well I don't have anywhere remotely near me that I can listen to some Bostons, so I took some initiative and called the company to speak with someone about becoming a dealer. They forwarded me to a distribution place and after speaking with one of the representatives there, I passed the info along to one of the local businesses. The owner was very open and pleased to hear what they had to say, and they might strike up a deal together. This means Boston car/home stuff, as well as Alpine, RF, Monster, Dynamat, and any other manufacture they distribute for. But the main thing, I get to hear that Boston sound!!!!
post #736 of 3002 Old 04-29-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Even the ones that are just coming out? such as the 805?

Not sure about the 805 all the ones i've checked so far are only pass through. the new line of Denon's will all be 1.3 though
post #737 of 3002 Old 04-30-2007, 07:25 AM

All the Onkyo receivers that are model number 604 or higher can accept multichannel pcm through hdmi. For the new line 605 and higher are hdmi 1.3 with both video and audio capabilities through hdmi.
post #738 of 3002 Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoverings View Post

Not sure about the 805 all the ones i've checked so far are only pass through. the new line of Denon's will all be 1.3 though

Well, i have to admit the only thing i've read is the info in the reciever thread about all the new Onkyo's, so that info can always be suspect, but it does say that most of them, 605, 705, etc will have full 1.3 processing. i have yet to read this info anywhere else though. Besides, for me, this is all moot because i really don't have any money for a new reciever anyway and by the time i do every reciever will probably 1.3 anyway.

edit: looks like they do have 1.3 processing, not just pass through. will decode DTS MA.

post #739 of 3002 Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 AM

Just wanted to post something, as I find that it's mostly people with problems that come in this forum.

I've just finished building my surround, 5.1 (waiting for the sub) with the following configuration :

Fronts : VR2 (new)
Center : VR10 (on ebay)
Surround : Bravo II (after suggestion from Boston, I've asked between Bravo II and VRX based on my living room, and I was recommanded the Bravo II)

Lets me say one thing, it's awesome. Just finished watching a few movies... Wow. Pure sound, no modification to make it warmer or clearer. Sounds like it was meant to be heard!

Good work boston!!
post #740 of 3002 Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to post something, as I find that it's mostly people with problems that come in this forum.

I've just finished building my surround, 5.1 (waiting for the sub) with the following configuration :

Fronts : VR2 (new)
Center : VR10 (on ebay)
Surround : Bravo II (after suggestion from Boston, I've asked between Bravo II and VRX based on my living room, and I was recommanded the Bravo II)

Lets me say one thing, it's awesome. Just finished watching a few movies... Wow. Pure sound, no modification to make it warmer or clearer. Sounds like it was meant to be heard!

Good work boston!!

Sweet. a buddy of mine has some Bravo's that i wanted to buy from him at one point, but glad i didn't since they probably wouldn't work to well in my room. They would be a little to indirect and it would probalby sound really mushy in my room espcially with the laminate flooring in half of the room.

post #741 of 3002 Old 05-07-2007, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I got laminate flooring and they do sound nice in mine. Of course, the audiosetup in the Pioneer Elite is very nice and did a pretty nice job calibrating without effort. I will go eventually to fine tune tine, but watching MI-3, it was pretty nice.

What are you using in term of surrond on your side?
post #742 of 3002 Old 05-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I got laminate flooring and they do sound nice in mine. Of course, the audiosetup in the Pioneer Elite is very nice and did a pretty nice job calibrating without effort. I will go eventually to fine tune tine, but watching MI-3, it was pretty nice.

What are you using in term of surrond on your side?

Crappy speakers from an old magnavox HTIB. Kinda funny how nice my mains and center is and how crappy the surrounds are. But they'll have to do for a while till more $$ flows in.

post #743 of 3002 Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 PM

I've been looking for some speakers and a sub to go with the Denon 4308 I plan on buying as soon as it comes out. I've always been a fan of the Boston sound, the nice warm, crisp sound, and not to mention the dipole surrounds and their ability to fill the room.

I've been looking at a VR3, VRC, VRX, and PV1000 or 900 set up. But I can't seem to find anywhere that actually sells everything anymore. There was One Call but they don't have the PV subs anymore. It almost seems like Boston is basically clearing their stock everywhere to convert something over to a D&M type set up.

Does anyone know what's going on with BA and where to still find their nice speakers? And maybe while I'm at it, what would people recommend instead of the speakers and sub listed above?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #744 of 3002 Old 05-07-2007, 06:19 PM

I have been reading this thread for a very long time, and I have been a fan of Boston Acoustics speakers since 1991 owning ONLY their products in my cars and also in my home. I recently decided to upgrade my nearly 10 year old Compact Reference home theater bookshelves, and have been looking at the VR2 and VR3 for the past few months. Due to their popularity and positive reviews, I also have been considering speakers from Ascend Acoustics and av123. The CRs have always been on the bright side, sometimes hurting my ears when played at higher volume levels. I decided to order the Ascend 340SE front mains and center channel, and compare them to the Boston VR2 mains and VRC. I had both systems set up in my house at the same time, running on the same Yamaha RX-V995 100wpc*5 receiver with A/B switching capability for the mains.

I replaced my existing CR8 mains and CR2 center with the VRs and there was a major, big-time, huge difference. Notice I said difference and not improvement. While the VRs did sound much better than my CR8's on some types of music, the overall sound was basically just more of what I already had: more treble, more mids, and more bass. The upper midrange and treble were very pronounced, and still hurt my ears when played at louder volumes or with most types of music. I listened to only the VR2 and VRC setup on TV, movies, and music for a full week while waiting for the Ascends to arrive. No doubt the sound was impressive, and I did hear things in the music that I had not heard before, but they were still not what I was looking for. In fact, I told my wife that I would not be satisfied keeping these speakers even if I had no other choices in mind.

I was concerned that my high expectations for the Ascend speakers would impact my perception of how they sound. The reviews are so great, anything less than greatness would leave me disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised at their appearance when I first pulled them out of their packaging. Everyone talks about how terrible the cabinets look, but I actually find them appealing. I've also always purchased the black finish on the Boston speakers though, so YMMV. I hooked up only the Ascend mains for A/B comparison to the VR2s. The first song auditioned was My Immortal by Evanescence. My wife is typically not interested in my hobby, but she came running into the room and listened to the speakers with me. We were both amazed with how great they sound. We continued listening to various reference music, and determined that these speakers perform far better than I even anticipated. I began pulling out old CDs trying to find some type of music where they didn't sound great, but I did not succeed. The glowing reviews don't even do these speakers justice, they really do sound that great. Both my wife and I were also able to understand the pronunciation of lyrics that were muddled with other speakers, from bands such as System of a Down and Slipknot. Probably the most notable difference I found with regards to brightness/harshness was the A/B comparison of the Gretchen Wilson song "Redneck Woman". I could hardly turn the Bostons up before the sound became painful, but with the Ascends I was able to crank the volume very high and Gretchen's voice never became offensive. It was a pleasant experience! I really do listen to all types of music. I then replaced the VRC with the 340SE center and listened to some of my reference movies. Having three basically identical speakers across the front soundstage blends the sounds much better than the "timbre matched" BA combinations. Dialogue is much clearer, and I am now able to turn down the volume and still hear the dialog clearly. I will upgrading my older Yamaha receiver to new components soon, and I look forward to the new features, ability to set a 60Hz crossover point across the front, and also increase in power. I'm considering Emotiva's LPA-1 and MMC-1 combination.

I regret to post in the BA owner's thread that I returned the VR2s and VRC, and will be ordering a pair of Ascend Acoustics 170SE surrounds to complement their front speakers. I will most likely loan my 5.1 CR package to my father-in-law until he buys his own speakers. Final plans for me involve a DIY subwoofer and then room treatments, and I should be happy for another 10 years.
post #745 of 3002 Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've been a happy owner for three years now of a 5.1 setup: VR-M60s front L/R, VRC centre, VR-M50s rear L/R and a PV900 sub. I auditioned 40 different speakers from 15 different brands before I made my final selection. I think I'm set for the next decade or so (barring some catastrophe).

There are some other fine speakers out there (and among my three finalists, the other two each did some things better than the Bostons) but of all the ones I tried, the Bostons were the most versatile across all musical genres (to my ears, of course).
post #746 of 3002 Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 PM

I hope I did not give the wrong impression; I have always auditioned any and all brands: Boston Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, Def Tech, B&W (many times over with these top 5), Klipsch, JBL, Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, Sapphire, Jamo, JL Audio, Dynaudio, Energy, Mirage, Polk, Infinity, etc.

I have always placed Boston Acoustics at the top of my list... until now. They are excellent performers, just no longer seem to suit my tastes.
post #747 of 3002 Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Yesterday I received my Carver TFM-45 2 channel amp. 375 watts per channel! I couldn't wait to get home to hook it up. I have VR3's up front powered by the Boston AVR-7120 which I believe is 120 per channel. For movies this setup has done great but when listening to music at louder volumes I felt like after everything warmed up the sound became flat.

Not any more, after hooking up the Carver the VR3's came alive! The soundstage is amazing. I had to put my ear up to each of the surrounds to make sure they were not also playing. Also before I thought I needed a bigger sub, not anymore. These speakers are a bit bright and before at louder volumes it would hurt my ears, but now I am able to go louder and the sound is crisp and nice.

Now for some more playing, I have another Carver (TFM-15cb) that I am going to bridge and put 280 watts to the VR-12 center.

Ye ha now were having fun.

Boston rocks.
post #748 of 3002 Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Boston is clearing out all their old stuff - I bought one of the last PV-1000 that they were clearing out their store.

There is still some VR-M80 on ******* and some VRX and VR-MX which I have.
post #749 of 3002 Old 05-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralnelson View Post

Boston is clearing out all their old stuff - I bought one of the last PV-1000 that they were clearing out their store.

There is still some VR-M80 on ******* and some VRX and VR-MX which I have.

I got the ol' 80s. love 'em.

post #750 of 3002 Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 AM

I called BA tech support and decided to up my 5.1 to 7.1 speakers cost effectively. I ordered an pair of VR-MX to make the upgrade. My 7.1 system configuration (all Cherry):

Fronts: VR-M60 (2)
Center: VR-MC
Sides: VR-MX (2)
Rear: VR-MX (2)
SW: Tech (100watt) + BIC (200watt)

Speakers powered by Pioneer Elite 84 TXSi (THX2, 7.1, 140 watts/chl, 4 HDMI inputs)

I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it worked out. I have to do a lot of wiring to keep the entertainment room from looking like a dorm room (words from my wife).
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Asw650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page