Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 3020 Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Member
 
mrperple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my set-up

Speakers: Boston Acoustics
Center: VR910
Sub: PV800
Front: VR950
Surround: Bravo

HT equipment:
Display: Sony SXRD KDS-50A200
A/VR: Pionner Elite VSX 26TX
DVD: Pioneer DV-525
DVD R: DVR 233
Satellite: Dish VIP622 DVR
Waiting on fromat war winner before I buy either Blu-ray or HD-DVD
mrperple is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 3020 Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Member
 
jamesnw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrperple View Post

Here is my set-up

Speakers: Boston Acoustics
Center: VR910
Sub: PV800
Front: VR950
Surround: Bravo

HT equipment:
Display: Sony SXRD KDS-50A200
A/VR: Pionner Elite VSX 26TX
DVD: Pioneer DV-525
DVD R: DVR 233
Satellite: Dish VIP622 DVR
Waiting on fromat war winner before I buy either Blu-ray or HD-DVD

Your wait is over. There are players out that can play both Blu-ray and HD-DVD in one unit!
jamesnw is offline  
post #993 of 3020 Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hdmi4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post

Your wait is over. There are players out that can play both Blu-ray and HD-DVD in one unit!

The problem is they are more expensive than buying 2 players, one for each format.
hdmi4ever is offline  
post #994 of 3020 Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Member
 
mrperple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know they have a combo player, but way to expensive at this point. Also missing some of the features the single players have. Not worth the cost at this point.
mrperple is offline  
post #995 of 3020 Old 09-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Member
 
jamesnw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrperple View Post

I know they have a combo player, but way to expensive at this point. Also missing some of the features the single players have. Not worth the cost at this point.

In short order more will become available and the price will start dropping. I don't mind the wait personally.
jamesnw is offline  
post #996 of 3020 Old 09-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD format wars is discussed in the source components thread I believe. Now back to BA topics. Just added a second vr12 to the rig. Dual vr12's seems almost overkill but I'm lovin' it. I changed my setup(for now) to 6.1. The greatest number of discrete channels you get from non hd formats is 6.1 anyways (DDex, DTSes). I have my mains, set of surrounds, single rear surround, and dual centers. I used a y splitter from center preout (m,f,f) and connected to two of the amp input connections. Then simply wire out to the centers. Awesome. This use to be quite popular w/ Yamaha recv'r owners.
mnnc is offline  
post #997 of 3020 Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Member
 
jamesnw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about adding 2 more VRX to complete a 7.1 setup. Not sure I want to spend $300-340 right now but it would be nice to have the whole shebang. 5.1 at the moment using VR3, VRC, VRX, and HSU VTF3-MK3 sub.
jamesnw is offline  
post #998 of 3020 Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Newbie
 
admiralnelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking to see if the new E-Series are any good - have not seen much feedback - do they have that rich Boston sound...Any details would be great!!!

Scott

-------
Denon 3802
Boston VR3
Boston VR-MC
Boston VR-MX
Boston PV-1000
admiralnelson is offline  
post #999 of 3020 Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post

I'm thinking about adding 2 more VRX to complete a 7.1 setup. Not sure I want to spend $300-340 right now but it would be nice to have the whole shebang. 5.1 at the moment using VR3, VRC, VRX, and HSU VTF3-MK3 sub.


Nice rig you have there. What are you powerring/processing with? You can get some vrx cheaper(previously owned) if you search the right place. I have heard them and they are a nice surround spkr. Depending on the room, most 6th and 7th channel additions really do a great job for the 'enveloped' sound one is trying to obtain.
mnnc is offline  
post #1000 of 3020 Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralnelson View Post

I was looking to see if the new E-Series are any good - have not seen much feedback - do they have that rich Boston sound...Any details would be great!!!

Scott

-------
Denon 3802
Boston VR3
Boston VR-MC
Boston VR-MX
Boston PV-1000

The only fb I have gotten is an initial review during CES. Some reputable reviewers/engineers were quite impressed with a demo they heard using the e100's, and three e70's. I read another review somewhere on the web that the 100 was quite impressive but needed a sub for the full effect. The move to small multiple drivers results in a bass response equal to that of a 11" or 12" woofer but much faster/tighter than a single driver could ever respond to signal. The biggest downfall is the price. I would strongly consider B&W or Aerial if I was going to spend retail price for e100's or e70's. I'm not too initially impressed in the direction BA are taking. Have to wait for models to be released to determine which market they are focusing on. I certainly do not like the new logo. Perhaps it is because I have been buying their products for almost 20yrs.
mnnc is offline  
post #1001 of 3020 Old 09-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Member
 
jamesnw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc View Post

Nice rig you have there. What are you powerring/processing with? You can get some vrx cheaper(previously owned) if you search the right place. I have heard them and they are a nice surround spkr. Depending on the room, most 6th and 7th channel additions really do a great job for the 'enveloped' sound one is trying to obtain.

I am using an Onkyo TX-SR805 to process the sources and power the speakers. It has Dolby Digital Pro Logic-IIx which creates the 7.1 matrix from basically any source. I figured I am missing out because I currently have 5.1 so I am only using DD PL-II (no x). My only problem with the current room, other than acoustics, is that there is an obstruction behind the couch and there really isn't any place behind the couch to mount them. The best I could do at the moment is put the speakers about 1-2 feet behind the listeners. As far as I know, that is suboptimal placement at best. I actually have everything in an unfinished basement at the moment.

A used VRX pair is certainly an option for me, I just have not spent any time looking for it yet. I did see that someone offered to sell a pair earlier in this thread so if he still has them I may decide to make contact.
jamesnw is offline  
post #1002 of 3020 Old 09-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Metalbent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa.
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, the VRX is still available.
Metalbent is offline  
post #1003 of 3020 Old 09-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Member
 
systembuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in an apartment with an open room 19x17 (kitchen and living) my listening area will take up 13x17 and trying to find adequate surrounds. I want to wall mount them behind my couch and not sure if the VRXs or Bravo IIs will be better. Currently have Samsung HLS5687W 1080p, Onkyo 605, VR3 L&R add VRC center. A old KLH sub from college that does the trick for bass since I could easily get evicted with the 120 watts it puts out (I'll wait till I get a house to upgrade that). Any input bravo II vs VRX? Thanks!
systembuilder is offline  
post #1004 of 3020 Old 09-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by systembuilder View Post

I live in an apartment with an open room 19x17 (kitchen and living) my listening area will take up 13x17 and trying to find adequate surrounds. I want to wall mount them behind my couch and not sure if the VRXs or Bravo IIs will be better. Currently have Samsung HLS5687W 1080p, Onkyo 605, VR3 L&R add VRC center. A old KLH sub from college that does the trick for bass since I could easily get evicted with the 120 watts it puts out (I'll wait till I get a house to upgrade that). Any input bravo II vs VRX? Thanks!

I have not listened to the bravo's but I know they can be mounted in many different locations to accomodate different conditions including corner mounted which is nice. They have a single 4.5in driver and tweeter and are direct radiating only. The vrx has dual 4.5's and dual vr tweeters. The mounting is limited to flat walls/shelf or ceiling and must be approx 22in. out of corner/about 2ft. but, they can be used as diffuse or direct radiating depending on which driver you face towards listening area. My choice would be vrx. Plus I like the way they look. Visit BA site...click tech support...home products...product manuals. You can view the manual(pdf)and take a look at the install descriptions that are within it. Btw...a single vrm-ex(like vrx or vrmx but a wide dispersion direct radiating unit) would do nicely as a rear center for a 6.1 setup if you can find one.
mnnc is offline  
post #1005 of 3020 Old 09-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Member
 
systembuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome! I'm pulling the trigger on the VRXs as we speak. I just bought a Logitech 1000 on ama*** as well. I know some people have complained about it but I'm gonna give it a shot because it does what I need and looks sweet!!! They have them for $250 on sale. Today has been a productive day.
systembuilder is offline  
post #1006 of 3020 Old 09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting rid of my like new...mint vr910. Same as the overpriced vrmc without fancy cabinet. I added BA gold binding post and have stock posts as well. Have original box. Almost impossible to find a nicer vr910. pm if interested.

...SOLD...
mnnc is offline  
post #1007 of 3020 Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
bilbo3660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've heard the expressions "Boston Acoustic sound" and "Polk sound" and assume every brand has its "sound" but what is the BA sound?
bilbo3660 is offline  
post #1008 of 3020 Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Member
 
mrperple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just pulled the trigger on a new AVR(pio elite vsx82tsx) and am looking to upgrade to 7.1. I have bravo's for my 5.1 surround speakers and I now see that Boston no longer makes them. insted they have the bravoII's. My ?? is this. what the difference between the two. If I pick up the II's will they match w/ my original Bravo's?? Or should I replace them w/ all BravoII's.

thanx in advance
mrperple is offline  
post #1009 of 3020 Old 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Member
 
SlammedNiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Craphole, KS
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrperple View Post

My ?? is this. what the difference between the two. If I pick up the II's will they match w/ my original Bravo's?? Or should I replace them w/ all BravoII's.

thanx in advance

From what i've heard, the orig. Bravo's had a cloth grille, where the Bravo II's are a metal grille. I can confirm the II's have the metal grille, as I have a pair myself.
SlammedNiss is offline  
post #1010 of 3020 Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The BA sound is more of a philosophy rather than what it implies...the way the speakers sound. This in a slogan more than anything else and a quite effective one as you are aware of it just like others have been for nearly 30yrs. It is a slogan that summarizes their philosophy on cost, quality, style, application, and the way their products perform.
mnnc is offline  
post #1011 of 3020 Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrperple View Post

Just pulled the trigger on a new AVR(pio elite vsx82tsx) and am looking to upgrade to 7.1. I have bravo's for my 5.1 surround speakers and I now see that Boston no longer makes them. insted they have the bravoII's. My ?? is this. what the difference between the two. If I pick up the II's will they match w/ my original Bravo's?? Or should I replace them w/ all BravoII's.

thanx in advance

Bravo 2 has a single 4 1/2 mid-bass w/ a single vr tweeter...is this what Bravo 1's have...? Then you should be in business. And if they are slightly different...it is not going to make much of a difference for surround channels. Save the money and buy one pair of 2's to use w/ your current rig.
mnnc is offline  
post #1012 of 3020 Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Member
 
mrperple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc View Post

Bravo 2 has a single 4 1/2 mid-bass w/ a single vr tweeter...is this what Bravo 1's have...? Then you should be in business. And if they are slightly different...it is not going to make much of a difference for surround channels. Save the money and buy one pair of 2's to use w/ your current rig.


that sounds about right. will have to double check though when I get home. Glad I can save some $$ and only buy 2 more speakers.
mrperple is offline  
post #1013 of 3020 Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Member
 
mrperple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedNiss View Post

From what i've heard, the orig. Bravo's had a cloth grille, where the Bravo II's are a metal grille. I can confirm the II's have the metal grille, as I have a pair myself.

Yep mine have the cloth grill. To bad. I like the cloth over a metal grill, matches the rest of my speakers. I guess I can live w/ them. wont fret over a minor cosmetic difference.
mrperple is offline  
post #1014 of 3020 Old 09-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree...the difference in grill material is not too big of a deal considering the distance between mains and surrounds. If they were side by side it would be another story.
mnnc is offline  
post #1015 of 3020 Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Newbie
 
proceed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
BA 500L series II
BA VR12
BA VRS Pro
BA VR30
BA VR2000

Has anyone tried the VR in wall surrounds and how do they compare to conventional speakers?

Thanks.
proceed1 is offline  
post #1016 of 3020 Old 09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
JN99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Seattle, WA - Eastside
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshdtv View Post

Mine did the same thing. About a year and a half ago I emailed their tech support and it was no problem. They sent me brand new ones and just asked that I send them back my old ones. The only thing it cost me was shipping. I'm surprised they have not come through for you guys.

Not only haven't they come through but after nearly 2 months and 4 separate requests through either email or their online form I have received no repsonse whatsoever. Absolutely appalling customer service.

Edit: Well BA finally replied! Two months and 5 trys later - they don't offer to replace my caps but will gladly sell me new ones at $44 and $40 ea. respectively.
JN99 is offline  
post #1017 of 3020 Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Member
 
jamesnw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by systembuilder View Post

Awesome! I'm pulling the trigger on the VRXs as we speak. I just bought a Logitech 1000 on ama*** as well. I know some people have complained about it but I'm gonna give it a shot because it does what I need and looks sweet!!! They have them for $250 on sale. Today has been a productive day.

When you get the VRX's you will basically have the system that I do now. I have the Onkyo 805 instead of the 605, and HSU VTF3-MK3 subwoofer, other than that we have the same kick ass setup
jamesnw is offline  
post #1018 of 3020 Old 09-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Member
 
AceMineral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I checked the BA website this morning, and the VR-M series was not listed amongst their column types.
AceMineral is offline  
post #1019 of 3020 Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMineral View Post

I checked the BA website this morning, and the VR-M series was not listed amongst their column types.

What do you mean "column type?"...the vrm* series are discontinued pretty much but you can view the pdf file while at the site for all specs.
mnnc is offline  
post #1020 of 3020 Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
mnnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

Not only haven't they come through but after nearly 2 months and 4 separate requests through either email or their online form I have received no repsonse whatsoever. Absolutely appalling customer service.

Edit: Well BA finally replied! Two months and 5 trys later - they don't offer to replace my caps but will gladly sell me new ones at $44 and $40 ea. respectively.

That is strange because my request for new spkr caps/tops, after contact which took only a couple days, was an offer for free replacements...which I did take advantage of and were sent free for my 975's! I had to send my old caps to them which cost me less than $10 priority mail.
mnnc is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off