Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

Mark - I have been using my cheapo 2002 RCA receiver to power my VR3s run as large for the past month with no trouble and no signs of distress. Just last night I was listening to the second disc of the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack (lots of bass - Teahouse, Chateau, Mona Lise Overdrive, Burly Brawl) and it was fine. Even at its best, it can't be putting out more than 30 watts per channel. Perhaps something was wrong with your Denon's amp section?

Polks are 4ohm as far as I know of, and I've never heard of Klipsch speakers shutting down a receiver.

No, nothing was wrong with the Denon reciever. It was running a pair of VR3s set to large/full range playing some AC/DC at master volume zero, and it shut down after less than hour from overheating.

While the Polk LSis are rated as 4 ohm speakers, the RTis are 8 ohm, although a few of the models I mentioned which very similar to the VR3s do dip down into 2 or 3 ohm loads, just as the VR3s will do.

As for the RF-7s, you dont have to just take my word for it. Check it out for yourself on the Klipsch board or even search through some posts here too about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinMe View Post

So, if 120Watts isn't enough, then what is?

Here you get into the old (for example) Denon watt vs NAD watt argument.
An AVR with a torriodal tranny, such as a NAD T763, would fare much better than a Denon 3803/5/6.

I have an older HK AVR8000 that will literally make the VR3s scream all day long with no problems at all!
post #93 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Because optical connection to the recv'r works OK from the DVD, it must be the output from your DBS box that is the problem-- hopefully its under warranty! I the long run, you'll want optical output for the best audio quality, but if you find that RCA audio works, that will get you by in the short run.

The only other issue would be if you've selected the wrong output on your DBS box-- check the output settings in your set-up menu. If htat doesn't fix it, then I'm certain its a DBS output problem.

What is DBS box? do you mean the satellite receiver (Dirct tv HD20)? I had optical cable connected to TV directly too..

thanks..
post #94 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 43
mark, would it be safe to assume you listen at ear bleeding levels?
post #95 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:

mark, would it be safe to assume you listen at ear bleeding levels?

I told you high volume levels didn't I? But no, I would not characterize it as ear bleeding by any means.
Plus it was an AC/DC cd, which is sustained instead of periodic like a movie as your experience you mentioned about the Matrix.
post #96 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Not, it wasn't the movie, it was the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, and they were run full range. I can assure you, those songs on disc 2 are VERY demanding. Large room to fill perhaps?
post #97 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss59 View Post

What is DBS box? do you mean the satellite receiver (Dirct tv HD20)? I had optical cable connected to TV directly too..

thanks..

Yes, I mean the satellite box. So the same audio optical cable connected to the TV worked but it didn't work when you connected it to the 3805?
post #98 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Yes, I mean the satellite box. So the same audio optical cable connected to the TV worked but it didn't work when you connected it to the 3805?

I had it connected with the TV... then when someone pressed some button on the Dtv remote.. the audio died.. then i tried connecting to the Satellite box. still it didnt work. Like I said.. DVD sound is fine.. only the television sound is not working...
TV speakers are working directly from satellite box.. Audio doesnt work thru 3805... (which was working until the we increased the volume really high and a friend pressed a buton, whih he doesnt know what he pressed)

Did I confuse you enough???
thanks for your help..
post #99 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 04:41 PM

it almost sounds to me like he changed the input on the amp from TV to DVD or something...
post #100 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Not, it wasn't the movie, it was the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, and they were run full range. I can assure you, those songs on disc 2 are VERY demanding. Large room to fill perhaps?

Fairly large, approx. 18 x 20, give or take a little.

That is a very good point about room size. In my office rig, a smaillish room about 10 x 10 x 9 high ceiling, in an obvious near field listening environment, a little 40 watt at 8 ohm Cambridge Audio 340A integrated amp will drive a pair of NHT SB3s, which are really inefficient at something like 84 or 86 db sensitivity, and with a -3 db bass extension of 39 HZ in a sealed acoustic suspension design with a 6.5" woofer (IOW, not exactly an easy load to drive despite being a book shelf speaker) to loud enough levels to almost literally run you out of the room.

And even though I have not heard the soundtrack you are referring to, I can pretty much guarantee you it is not as demanding as an old Bon Scott era AC/DC disc!
post #101 of 3019 Old 02-07-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I had it connected with the TV... then when someone pressed some button on the Dtv remote.. the audio died.. then i tried connecting to the Satellite box. still it didnt work. Like I said.. DVD sound is fine.. only the television sound is not working...
TV speakers are working directly from satellite box.. Audio doesnt work thru 3805... (which was working until the we increased the volume really high and a friend pressed a buton, whih he doesnt know what he pressed)

Did I confuse you enough???
thanks for your help..

I'm confused. Call Geek Squad.
post #102 of 3019 Old 02-08-2006, 06:15 AM

Liked: 14
As much as I love my Athenas, I have occasionally considered replacing them with Boston VR3's. This is mainly based on fond memories of some Boston speakers I used to have. Can anyone on this thread tell me if Boston has maintained their classic sound? How do their speakers today compare with those from 20 or so years ago?
(Note: auditioning is not possible for me as there are no dealers within 100 miles. I would have to order from an online dealer like onecall.)
post #103 of 3019 Old 02-08-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:

I'm confused. Call Geek Squad.

good news and not so good news.. As you suggested, I connected RCA cable from DBS box to Denon 3805 .. the home theater came back!! ..
THANK YOU SO MUCH. you are genius.
you must be a "zen" master..
but.. if I connect the cable directly from TV to denon.. no luck..

So the issue remains..
why doesn't it work from TV? what happened to the optical connection??
Ideal set up is cable (preferably optical for quality) from TV to denon to avoid known lip-sync issues with my Samsung TV....
as you know the cable is fine...... it works with DVD to denon..
Have a great day..
post #104 of 3019 Old 02-08-2006, 10:51 AM

Can the VRX's be mounted on a back wall (used as surrounds in 5.1 system)? Listening position is about 1' from the back wall. I see the manual only mentions side and ceiling mounting, but these are not an option for me.
post #105 of 3019 Old 02-08-2006, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

good news and not so good news.. As you suggested, I connected RCA cable from DBS box to Denon 3805 .. the home theater came back!! ..
THANK YOU SO MUCH. you are genius.
you must be a "zen" master..
but.. if I connect the cable directly from TV to denon.. no luck..

So the issue remains..
why doesn't it work from TV? what happened to the optical connection??
Ideal set up is cable (preferably optical for quality) from TV to denon to avoid known lip-sync issues with my Samsung TV....
as you know the cable is fine...... it works with DVD to denon..
Have a great day..

If you've checked the output settings on your TV to ensure that the correct optical output jack is selected and you've checked the 3805 set up to ensure the correct optical input jack is selected, and you've checked that the cable is OK, then it means you have a problem with one of the optical jacks on the TV or the 3805. You will have to expirement by connecting other devices to the same jack to figure out if the problem is with the TV or the 3805. If I'm following what you've done so far, I believe the problem is with your TV, in which case you would have to get it repaired.
post #106 of 3019 Old 02-08-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:

If you've checked the output settings on your TV to ensure that the correct optical output jack is selected and you've checked the 3805 set up to ensure the correct optical input jack is selected, and you've checked that the cable is OK, then it means you have a problem with one of the optical jacks on the TV or the 3805. You will have to expirement by connecting other devices to the same jack to figure out if the problem is with the TV or the 3805. If I'm following what you've done so far, I believe the problem is with your TV, in which case you would have to get it repaired.

I have done everything on the 3805 side. 3805 is OK.
TV optical is not working. Surprising thing is even DBS box optical jack stopped working.. I will call Direct TV and ask them first before dealing with the big TV monster. thank you for all your help.
post #107 of 3019 Old 02-08-2006, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered a pair of DSI485 for our living room (an extra zone I'm adding to my system) so we can have background music during social events at our house. They are due to arrive on 2/20 and I have installation scheduled for those as well as my Bravo surrounds for the family room home theater later that week. Can't wait!
post #108 of 3019 Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 AM

Alright, an update to my HT system build!!

It definitely does pay off to wait for a good deal to come along. I ordered a Mirage Omni S12 powered subwoofer from vanns yesterday. Had no idea they were selling these for 50% off. Hope it compares to a certain degree to the HSU or SVS subs. The sub definitely has some good reviews in the sub forum and Mirage claim frequency response as 20 - 120 hz. Anyone try this sub with their boston's?

Now if only a great deal on a receiver would come along

Would a Harman Kardon 335 be able to power the VRB's and the S12? Also would it be able to handle the VR2's or VR3's if I were to go for these at a later date? Looking at this receiver as I can get a refurb from the harman online store for 440 delivered. Anyone with an opinion on this or any of the other refurbs on the harman audio website?
post #109 of 3019 Old 02-09-2006, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressom View Post

Can the VRX's be mounted on a back wall (used as surrounds in 5.1 system)? Listening position is about 1' from the back wall. I see the manual only mentions side and ceiling mounting, but these are not an option for me.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't be mounted on the back wall as long as they are spaced far enough apart, but try sending a note to Boston Acoustics on their website about this. They have always been very responsive for me. Let us know what they say.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/con_contact.aspx
post #110 of 3019 Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 PM

First of all, congrats on the S12. Peter from HSU has even openly ackowledged that is perhaps the best subwoofer value at the moment bar none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebyritz View Post

Would a Harman Kardon 335 be able to power the VRB's and the S12? Yes, no problem at all, especially if crossed over at say 80 hz Also would it be able to handle the VR2's or VR3's if I were to go for these at a later date? VR1's when crossed over at 80 hz, or maybe even set to large/fullrange, no problem. VR2s or 3s when crossed over at 80 hz, no problem. VR2s or 3s when set to large/full range, maybe a problem.Looking at this receiver as I can get a refurb from the harman online store for 440 delivered. Anyone with an opinion on this or any of the other refurbs on the harman audio website?

post #111 of 3019 Old 02-10-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

As much as I love my Athenas, I have occasionally considered replacing them with Boston VR3's. This is mainly based on fond memories of some Boston speakers I used to have. Can anyone on this thread tell me if Boston has maintained their classic sound? How do their speakers today compare with those from 20 or so years ago?
(Note: auditioning is not possible for me as there are no dealers within 100 miles. I would have to order from an online dealer like onecall.)

Bostons sound even better than they did 20 years ago. They've always been known for their great sound stage as well as their overall clarity/accuracy. Their tweeters are top notch-- very balanced and smooth. There is an excellent thread by Steve Callas which is linked near the top of this thread and his comparisons of the VR3s with a number of other speakers. The other nice thing about BA is that they make a wide variety of speakers to match with their main speakers-- you'll be able to find a center and surrounds that are in a form factor for your needs and will timbre match your mains.
post #112 of 3019 Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 PM

I'm have the "Boston Hidden Theater" using the DSi455 in-ceiling speakers and the Velodyne DD-12 sub. I also have a second zone using DSi480 in-wall speakers. I also use the Recepter Radio as my alarm clock.
I guess you can say I'm a Boston fanboy.
post #113 of 3019 Old 02-14-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:

wanted to give you an update. I connected the optical to the third output from 3805 to the TV. it worked. So, it is the problem with the opt1 jack from 3805. I am going to ignore it and use the third output.
thanks for all your help...
post #114 of 3019 Old 02-15-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:

I don't see any reason why they couldn't be mounted on the back wall as long as they are spaced far enough apart, but try sending a note to Boston Acoustics on their website about this. They have always been very responsive for me. Let us know what they say.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/con_contact.aspx

I got a response back from BA and they said the VRX's should work fine mounted on a back wall.

I went to Magnolia's and they just happened to have the VRX's on sale for $379/pair + tax (normally 399). So I picked them up and am auditioning them. So far I like what I hear... they are a nice match for my VR975's and VR920.
post #115 of 3019 Old 02-15-2006, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressom View Post

I got a response back from BA and they said the VRX's should work fine mounted on a back wall.

I went to Magnolia's and they just happened to have the VRX's on sale for $379/pair + tax (normally 399). So I picked them up and am auditioning them. So far I like what I hear... they are a nice match for my VR975's and VR920.

Bet that IS a nice set-up. I wished I'd gone for the 975s (I have the 965s) and the 920 is supposed to be awesome. I went for the Bravo surrounds (four of them for sides + rear, because I think I'll get the crispness of direct sound with similar presence as diffuse since there are a four speakers in total. IN a two speaker surround set up, I think you made the right choice with a diffuse set up like the VRXs. Enjoy.
post #116 of 3019 Old 02-15-2006, 06:28 PM

Liked: 11
VR 30s
VR 12
VRS
VR2000

I bought my BA gear in 1996/1997, so all a bit long in the tooth, but still in great shape.

I have a question for you all though, I am upgrading to a dedicated HT, with 7.1 sound and need to buy 2 more speakers to complete it. I assume I should be moving the VRS over to the surround spots and buying 2 rears? Is this correct, and if so, what speakers should I be looking at? Oh, room size is 26L X 17W. Thanks!
post #117 of 3019 Old 02-15-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:

So, if 120Watts isn't enough, then what is?

You will find that rating is not all 7 channels driven at the same time over the full audio range (20 - 20,000). All 7 channels is around 75 - 80 watts per channel from what I have read due to the limits of the power supply.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...5_review10.php

The front stage of my HT (VR40 and VR920) are ran off a Denon's AVR-985 (2805) pre-outs into two Carver M-500T and a TFM35X, all bridged (700 watts per channel). Needless to say, I don't peg the meters but there is more than enough headroom when it is needed.

Why do we park in Driveways and drive on Parkways?
post #118 of 3019 Old 02-15-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:

what speakers should I be looking at?

Any of the BA direct radiating speakers would be fine. Even another set of VR-30s. Personally, I really like my VR-M/EX. I would also be tempted to swap out the VRS for a pair of VR-MX speakers down the road. Better response, and high density particle board with bracing compared to plastic. Personally, I don't like plastic speakers. I just don't feel they have the same sound. Might just be in my head but that is the way I feel.

What do you think of your VR2000 sub?

post #119 of 3019 Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiggs View Post

You will find that rating is not all 7 channels driven at the same time over the full audio range (20 - 20,000). All 7 channels is around 75 - 80 watts per channel from what I have read due to the limits of the power supply.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...5_review10.php

The front stage of my HT (VR40 and VR920) are ran off a Denon's AVR-985 (2805) pre-outs into two Carver M-500T and a TFM35X, all bridged (700 watts per channel). Needless to say, I don't peg the meters but there is more than enough headroom when it is needed.

Ok, so why is 70-80 watts not enough. that's a lot. In fact this article says that is better than most recv'rs in its class due to the fact they have four separate power supplies. What am I missing.
post #120 of 3019 Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:

What am I missing.

Nothing. But remember, music and movie sound tracks are very dynamic now days. I believe most receivers and amp are driven to clipping more than you realize. Especially if you like your music or movies fairly loud (not ear bleeding). If I remember right, it takes twice the power to give you a 3-decibel increase in sound. Now, most music or movies are play at less than 10 WPC. But what happens when there is an explosion on a movie that is 3, 6, 10 (twice as loud) or 20 decibels higher than the level you are listening to? The amp clips because it does not have enough headroom to meet the demand. That is the way I remember it. If I am wrong, someone please speak-up and correct me.

I know my VR40s seem to sound much better with 700 watts compared to the 100 watts the AVR985 puts out. They have a cleaner, more fuller and open sound. Maybe it is just a characteristic of the amps but I believe it has to do with not straining the power output of the amps.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page