Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 3020 Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke256 View Post

wow, so I was messing around with my MCS130's and couldn't help shake the feeling something was wrong with the surrounds since they weren't up to par with the other pieces in the package. It turns out that the weight of the slack of the speaker wire I gave on the surrounds was screwing up the connection into the binding posts. I had the wires entered into the top of the hole, I switched it to the bottom and now there's nothing pulling the wires back [the slack + gravity was doing so before] and the connection is much more secure and sure enough the speakers sound significantly better.

I'm sure glad I trusted my ears and decided to screw around a bit. maybe something similar is happening with your speakers...

Now I just need a pair of wall mounts to put them on my wall, I guess any omnimount will do?

yeah I'm using a set of DEF-TECH mounts that I bought for a ProCinema 600 set that I returned unopened; but kept the mounts as they look nice and were easy to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3020 Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM

mmmm, are these the ones?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1151658127294

nice price too :]
post #1503 of 3020 Old 07-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke256 View Post

mmmm, are these the ones?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1151658127294

nice price too :]

that would be the one! The post on the mount is a tad longer then the BA will take - but it does sung up tight. And easy to swivel plus looks nice IMHO. I am sure CC has a cheaper mount - the OmniMount I saw at CC was too "cheap" feeling and was actually more money I think?
post #1504 of 3020 Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 AM

how high do you guys have the mcs130 front speakers setup? I'm trying to figure out what size stands to buy (right now they're sitting on my tv stand, too close together, at about 23" tall). Any suggestion for stands?
post #1505 of 3020 Old 07-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok,need some opinions here.

My step dad has some BostonAccoustic A400 speakers, two of them.

Thoughts on these? He isn't using them and asked if I would want them.
post #1506 of 3020 Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM

I appreciate any help offered..

I have a Sony 46" LCD weighing about 90 pounds including stand, which sits on a media console with no room for my Boston VR920 center channel speaker. Having found no really good way to make the speaker fit, I am wondering if the construction of the 920 is solid enough that I could just set the LCD on top of it. Any thoughts on this?

Second thing is I have been running 5.1 with the 920, a pair of VR950's and a pair of VRS's for rears, using a Denon 3805. I've just upgraded to a Denon 3808CI, and want to go to 7.1. I like the front stage, and if I can solve issue 1, above, I don't want to break it up. However, I need to add the two side speakers, and have no idea where to go in terms of what would compliment what I have with a reasonable price tag. Any thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for the advice, in advance.

Alex
post #1507 of 3020 Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Hey boatdude,

I had a similar problem. I have a 52 inch LCD and I am using the VRC center channel. The only spot I had to put it was underneath the tv on shelf on the media stand. It didn't sound that great there. I actually installed this last night.
http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-CCH1...6590393&sr=8-1

It took some modifying to make it work with a sharp lcd because it so thin. If you don't mind working with it though it can be done. Speaker sounds great on top and it doesn't look to bad either.
post #1508 of 3020 Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM

If anyone has a pair of mint black VR-M60s or VR-M50s they are no longer using and that they would like to get rid of I'd be interested in purchasing. Please PM me.
post #1509 of 3020 Old 07-26-2008, 04:42 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranelar View Post

how high do you guys have the mcs130 front speakers setup? I'm trying to figure out what size stands to buy (right now they're sitting on my tv stand, too close together, at about 23" tall). Any suggestion for stands?

I picked up a Boston Horizon MCS 130 package - I figured I'd upgrade my Mom's system since it has a much higher MAF (MAF instead of WAF). Of course I set-up the system to test it out - I'll get to that later. As for stands I would suggest looking at the OmniMount Cosmic 31, They are a steal at http://www.*******.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=29742 . Get them and fill them with either sand or lead shot - this will make them much more stable. Using these will place the MCS 130 front L+R tweeter at ~38". (just a tad above ear level when sitting in my chair (slightly higher being better than lower IMHO). Granted, exact hight for the L+R is dependant on where your ears are when your sitting in you favorite chair (I always shoot for tweeters at exactly ear level) I have the L+R+C positioned on top of a solid cherry console (70" w x 30" h x 12" d) so that puts the L+R tweeters at 37" and the C tweeter at 33.5". Speakers are positioned so the L+R tweeters are closer to the center of the console and the C has it's tweeter on the "top". Since I don't have an ideal room my rears are 48" and 72" off the floor and even with the front of the back couch cusions (back not seat cusions). They are pointing ~30-35 degrees forward of the back wall.

As for my initial review I need to point out that I'm not getting the maximum output of the sub as it's 1.25' from the front wall and 3' out from the side wall (right up to the right side of my cherry console - I can't get it any closer to the side wall since my M&K MX-125 sub is sitting there). When I first set-up the system I just swapped it part for part with my current system (see bellow) and I was surprised that it sounded fairly good - good enough for Mom that is.

After calibrating with audessy I crossed as follows: L+R+C at 100 MHz, Surounds at 80 MHz and Sub at 120 MHz. I just left the EQ set to the audessy settings. WOW - what a difference that made! I watched parts of Cars, the 300 and a HDNet concert: Son Volt Live - Okemah/Riot. Then I listened to some Casey Chambers - Barracades and Brick Walls, Morphine - Cure For Pain, Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams, India.arie - Acoustic Soul, The The - Dusk and NIN - Pretty hate Machine. Dialoge in 300 was very good, surround "effects" transitioned from back -> front, left -> right etc. very well. One note: in Cars at some points when panning from R->C or L->C there was slightly noticable "transitions". Since the other material didn't have this I'm going to chalk it up to possible master mixing errors amplified by the fact that the R+L are positioned verticaly and the C is horizontal (Given the slight curve to the face of the L+R+C speakers and dispertion patterns being different due to driver placement). The surrounds work well but can be "localize" depending on the source content. This may also be a setup/calibration issue, I haven't fiddeled with them yet to know. Other than that they sound so good that I fear my Wife will want me to box-up my current system that only has a "fair" WAF. The MCS 130, exspecialy in white, has a much higher WAF.

The system I compared it to:
sources: Charter HD cable, PS3 and Sony DVP/NS75H (CD/DVD transport) All sources connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 805.
speakers: M&K MX-125 sub, Boston VR12 center, Boston Micro 130x's as L, R, SR, SL (and two more for SBR, SBL that aren't hooked up yet) I also have years of listening to Boston VR970's as R, L - I just swapped them out for the Micro 130x's due to a nagging WAF)
post #1510 of 3020 Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by image1 View Post

I picked up a Boston Horizon MCS 130 package - I figured I'd upgrade my Mom's system since it has a much higher MAF (MAF instead of WAF). Of course I set-up the system to test it out - I'll get to that later. As for stands I would suggest looking at the OmniMount Cosmic 31, They are a steal at http://www.*******.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=29742 . Get them and fill them with either sand or lead shot - this will make them much more stable. Using these will place the MCS 130 front L+R tweeter at ~38". (just a tad above ear level when sitting in my chair (slightly higher being better than lower IMHO). Granted, exact hight for the L+R is dependant on where your ears are when your sitting in you favorite chair (I always shoot for tweeters at exactly ear level) I have the L+R+C positioned on top of a solid cherry console (70" w x 30" h x 12" d) so that puts the L+R tweeters at 37" and the C tweeter at 33.5". Speakers are positioned so the L+R tweeters are closer to the center of the console and the C has it's tweeter on the "top". Since I don't have an ideal room my rears are 48" and 72" off the floor and even with the front of the back couch cusions (back not seat cusions). They are pointing ~30-35 degrees forward of the back wall.

As for my initial review I need to point out that I'm not getting the maximum output of the sub as it's 1.25' from the front wall and 3' out from the side wall (right up to the right side of my cherry console - I can't get it any closer to the side wall since my M&K MX-125 sub is sitting there). When I first set-up the system I just swapped it part for part with my current system (see bellow) and I was surprised that it sounded fairly good - good enough for Mom that is.

After calibrating with audessy I crossed as follows: L+R+C at 100 MHz, Surounds at 80 MHz and Sub at 120 MHz. I just left the EQ set to the audessy settings. WOW - what a difference that made! I watched parts of Cars, the 300 and a HDNet concert: Son Volt Live - Okemah/Riot. Then I listened to some Casey Chambers - Barracades and Brick Walls, Morphine - Cure For Pain, Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams, India.arie - Acoustic Soul, The The - Dusk and NIN - Pretty hate Machine. Dialoge in 300 was very good, surround "effects" transitioned from back -> front, left -> right etc. very well. One note: in Cars at some points when panning from R->C or L->C there was slightly noticable "transitions". Since the other material didn't have this I'm going to chalk it up to possible master mixing errors amplified by the fact that the R+L are positioned verticaly and the C is horizontal (Given the slight curve to the face of the L+R+C speakers and dispertion patterns being different due to driver placement). The surrounds work well but can be "localize" depending on the source content. This may also be a setup/calibration issue, I haven't fiddeled with them yet to know. Other than that they sound so good that I fear my Wife will want me to box-up my current system that only has a "fair" WAF. The MCS 130, exspecialy in white, has a much higher WAF.

The system I compared it to:
sources: Charter HD cable, PS3 and Sony DVP/NS75H (CD/DVD transport) All sources connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 805.
speakers: M&K MX-125 sub, Boston VR12 center, Boston Micro 130x's as L, R, SR, SL (and two more for SBR, SBL that aren't hooked up yet) I also have years of listening to Boston VR970's as R, L - I just swapped them out for the Micro 130x's due to a nagging WAF)

Are you using the stock wire that came with the MCS130, or are you using your own wire? Does it make a huge difference? I was going to buy new wire because I didn't think it would come with any, but when I found out that it did, I didn't really want to spend the extra money anymore :P
post #1511 of 3020 Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone running VR2's / VR3's looking to switch from a conventional center channel to a VR2 in the Detroit area?

I have a single black VR2 I'd like to trade for a black VRC, VR-10, VR-12, or VR-920. It's warrantied from early 2008. PM me if interested, please.
post #1512 of 3020 Old 07-29-2008, 04:29 PM

I'm cleaning house and am planning on putting up 2 white BA CRX surrounds. PM me if interested.
post #1513 of 3020 Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranelar View Post

Are you using the stock wire that came with the MCS130, or are you using your own wire? Does it make a huge difference? I was going to buy new wire because I didn't think it would come with any, but when I found out that it did, I didn't really want to spend the extra money anymore :P

I'm not using the included wire but, looking at it I doubt you'll hear any difference using heavier speaker wire (I'm not a a believer the magical poperties of ultra-expensive speaker wire). The sub cable is a different story, I'm not sure what the spec is on the included cable but, I'm running a Monoprice High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm cable. Also, for convenience I terminate my speaker wire with monoprice Banana Plugs. If you want your speaker cable runs to look cleaner take a look at the monoprice 16AWG CL2 Rated 4-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable.

Remember, Monoprice is your friend.
post #1514 of 3020 Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 AM

Are the HS60 good speakers? CC has them on sale for 99 each right now on the website. Also would a HS225 center match up nicely? This is for a bedroom setup. Any info would be great, I'll stop by and listen to these as soon as I find some time.
post #1515 of 3020 Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

@JJsand

I believe the HS225 is the matching center for the Horizon Series line of BA.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #1516 of 3020 Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 PM

I've been using a set of Boston subsat 6's for years now. I've not been very happy with them for awhile now. I just picked up some VR3's to use in my almost started basement theater. Well, they can't sit in the boxes until I am done, so I hooked them up in place of the subsats. WOW, after they broke in I am truly amazed. I grabbed a VRC to go with them now. I have some P430's coming to use for rear surrounds, and plan on using P442's for the side surrounds in my future 7.1 setup.

Now, to get to work on the basement
post #1517 of 3020 Old 08-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just noticed this thread. I don't really come here too much anymore since I started school again, but here is my setup.

Yamaha RXV2400
Yamaha DV-C6380
5- BA CR85's (r,l,f,sr,sl)
Dayton Titanic 15" subwoofer (the kit with amp included)

I haven't really been able to have them setup in a HT configuration because of the cost of wiring and mounts, oh and the new house too. I have had this setup for just under 5 years and use it for both HT and daily listening duty. I have played around with upgrading the sub, but never have thought about going with a different speaker. Very happy camper.

In all fairness I am still running a pair of CV VS-120's off a Sony GX57ES and a Kenwood DP-R793 5-disc, all of which was purchased in 1993. I can't seem to give up things I like.
post #1518 of 3020 Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Guys this is my first post. I would realy like to make a splash by telling you that as of tomorrow I will be the happly owner of the MCS130's. They will be hooked up to my new Denon AVR-888 and guess what! MCS will only cost me $149 at bransmart USA new in the box. I wish I could tell you that it was possible for you to pick one up at this price if your in GA or FLA but it will still run you about $370. $149 is because of a friend that works there.

BUT next week may be a different story. (Holiday sale)
Love the site!
post #1519 of 3020 Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM

These things look SWEET. I'm surprised I couldn't find any posts on them already.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/08/15...ista-speakers/
post #1520 of 3020 Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 AM

does anyone use the XB8 sub and if so how do you like it?
post #1521 of 3020 Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 PM

I have the XB6, it was a good deal, wouldn't have bought it otherwise. If the 8 is anything like the 6 I'd not bother, get a SVC or something else instead. The Boston sub just doesn't go low enough, it can also be kind of fluttery, otherwise decent though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey
http://coreygo.com
post #1522 of 3020 Old 09-01-2008, 10:15 AM

I have a chance to get 2 new for $525.00 is that still not a good idea?
post #1523 of 3020 Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM

$525 for 2 XB8's seems like a good deal . One Call has the XB4 for $230.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey
post #1524 of 3020 Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 PM

I think I'll go for it thanks.
post #1525 of 3020 Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anybody else see the new Boston stuff on their website? "Vista" Series. Sounds enticing. Looks promising...
post #1526 of 3020 Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yamaha RX-V1800
Cambridge Audio DVD99
Pioneer PDP-428XG
Boston Acoustics Horizon Series 7.1 Speaker System
Klipsch Synergy 12inch Subwoofer
Onkyo CP-1400A Turntable
Onkyo IPOD Dock

Kumyoung KDVD-5500 Karaoke DVD Player
BMB DAR-100 Digital Echo AV Amplifier
Wharfedale KH Speakers
Shure SM58 Microphones

HS450 - Mains

HS225 - Center

HS60 Surrounds/Back
post #1527 of 3020 Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Any market for a VR 12 center these days? Have one I'm not sure what to do with!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #1528 of 3020 Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

Any market for a VR 12 center these days? Have one I'm not sure what to do with!

Actually I just bought one used for $250 from a local guy... It seems in good condition and such and there's no sign of damage to the speaker or tweeter... But the odd thing is that I get this weird clipping from it, doesn't seem to happen on the same content with the VRC so not sure what to make of it. It's only on some 5.1 and DD PL content on specific dialog content. Driving me insane.

Anyway eBay that sucker and try and get at least $250 .

Corey
post #1529 of 3020 Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Hey, Everybody!

(Hello, Dr. Nick!)

I hope this is an OK series of questions to ask in this thread.

I just called Boston Acoustics to ask where I might go locally to have a pair of the original A70's refurbished.

They said that there's nowhere in Texas, that they use a company called United Radio in Syracuse. So I called them, and the rep said to scrap my A70's, because there were no parts available. Well, I just last night saw parts online, but I'm not sure if they're the right ones.

For sure i need cones and foams. I assume the tweeters are still fine. I also was wondering about the cost/benefit of possibly having them rewired and adding additional damping inside the cabinet.

From what I've read, it's important that the new stuff (cone) matches the old to keep the crossover calculations appropriate.

What I've turned up through Google so far is dated; what, if you don't mind telling me, is the current state of getting the A70 back up to snuff?

Thank you.
Beau in Austin
post #1530 of 3020 Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 PM

what are vr10's going for
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page