Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2977 Old 03-29-2006, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really think their highs have timber much like Sonus Faber. What do you think? [quote]

I agree with that to a point. I do think that the Sonus highs tend to be on the flat side while Boston's are a bit more dynamic and alive. Some people like this.....others don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2977 Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 AM

double post......oops
post #183 of 2977 Old 03-29-2006, 08:31 AM

My super budget system:

A70s with double thick surrounds x2
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 sat as center
Athena S.5 rears x 2
Onkyo TX-DS575
(Optional Dayton SUB-120, sometimes I run without)

Without the sub, the whole thing cost me $200 :-D

I am totally infatuated with these A70s. I got them free with the rotten surrounds, and listened to them for 5 minutes (even with the horrid rotten surrounds) and was hooked.
post #184 of 2977 Old 03-29-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I recently had my side and rear surround speakers installed and I'm finding that they aren't as impactful to the overall audio quality for music as I had hoped. I have a 7.1 system with BA VR965s, VRC, and four Bravo IIs for surround connected to a Denon 3805 amp. The Bravos sound fine, and the timbre match to the fronts is very good-- I get consistent seamless sound across the room. The issue I'm having is that for music, I get slightly better presence with the surround speakers than without, but not much better-- I actually get as guaged unscientically by my earrs about 90% of the imaging from the front speakers in stereo mode.

The surround capability is more impactful on movies with well engineered sound tracks using 5.1/DTS source material.

I think I need to buy more music with DVD Audio or 5.1 tracks... but the trend seems to be more towards MP3s etc...

Anyway, I wanted to post these comments and see if I'm missing something on the benefits of 7.1surround for non-movie music.
post #185 of 2977 Old 03-29-2006, 07:05 PM

Hi - Really appreciate all the input I've found through this group - decided to join!!

Piecing together my system - looking to purchase a center and surrounds in the next few months.

Currently -
Fronts VR 975's, bought them ~3yrs ago - have been very happy with them - mostly focus on music, great for the occasional movie - surprised I don't see more input from other owners - production years 97~99 maybe that's why, my first set of BA's.
Want to beef up for HT amd looking for input on Center and surrounds - my thinking is VRC for centers, and VRMX for surrounds - need to audition but if they're like the 975's - should be great -

Does anyone have a similar set-up? If so, would like to hear form you -

Receiver is an older Yamaha - looking at a RX-V1600 to upgrade to (or the older 1500).

TV is an older Panasonic CRT - looking at the industrial version of the 50" plasma -

My best
post #186 of 2977 Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali25 View Post

- looking at the industrial version of the 50" plasma -

My best

Industrial version - very interesting.
post #187 of 2977 Old 03-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Check that - it's officially under their "Business & Professional" product line - product is TH-50PHD8UK -

Cali25
post #188 of 2977 Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

You can email Boston Acoustics to get their recommendation on the center and surrounds. Sometimes they can help you locate a matching center that is out of production.

Their customer service is excellent.
post #189 of 2977 Old 03-30-2006, 08:09 AM

"Want to beef up for HT amd looking for input on Center and surrounds - my thinking is VRC for centers, and VRMX for surrounds - need to audition but if they're like the 975's - should be great - "

That sounds like a good plan. For centers a VR10, 12, 910, 920, VRC, Bravo will all match the 975's. For surrounds a VRX, Bravos and Micros will match. As long as you get speakers with a Vr Lynnfield or the VrHO tweeter will be fine. The "best" centers IMO are the Vr12 and 920..........
post #190 of 2977 Old 03-30-2006, 03:29 PM

I am proud to be a Boston Acoustics owner.

In my 6.1 setup:

Center Sat7 - front center
Micro 90x - front left and rights
Micro 80xII - rear/surround left and rights
Micro 80x - rear center

I own a Yamaha sub (it matches quite well) and power the Boston speakers with my Marantz SR7500 receiver. I listen to about 80 to 90% music, the rest if movies and games.

I got my mom the Boston Acoustics radio (mono channel one; not the new stereo) for Christmas a year ago and it sounds great. Too bad it doesn't play CDs though

More info on my website in my sig!

Ryan

Check out the setup and digital artwork!
Click here
post #191 of 2977 Old 03-30-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

"Want to beef up for HT amd looking for input on Center and surrounds - my thinking is VRC for centers, and VRMX for surrounds - need to audition but if they're like the 975's - should be great - "

That sounds like a good plan. For centers a VR10, 12, 910, 920, VRC, Bravo will all match the 975's. For surrounds a VRX, Bravos and Micros will match. As long as you get speakers with a Vr Lynnfield or the VrHO tweeter will be fine. The "best" centers IMO are the Vr12 and 920..........

I have the VR 965s and the VRC, Bravo IIs and Micro 130s have the identical 1 inch VR tweeter and 4.5 inch midrange-- I think these are your best options for timbre match. The VRCs and Bravo IIs have worked very well for me.
post #192 of 2977 Old 03-30-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:

I am not sure I would have gotten the Bravo center to begin with. The A100's have a silk dome tweeter.....relatively the same as the CR series. You may have been better off getting the CRC7 to better match......plus I think it is a bit "better" center. If I were in your shoes and you couldn't return the Bravo center I would get another Bravo center and put them as the surrounds and get a CRC for the center. This way your front soundstage will match. I know Boston says that all of their speakers have the Boston sound and you can mix......but the reality is that the VR aluminum tweeter in the Bravos are VERY different then the silk tweeter in the CR's.

The reason I had gotten the Bravo Center (it's not the Bravo II) instead of the CRC7 is that it was in clearance - about 35% off. I had emailed tech support, who said the difference is that Bravo II's have a metal grill. Its been about a year, so return isnt an option. Unfortuantely that seattle online store no longer has Bravo Centers (they have Bravo II center at regular price), but they do have Bravo's at the clearance price.

Trying to keep cost down, as options,
a) how different is the Bravo Center from Bravo? can I get a Bravo and match em as Rear Surrounds? If not, since I have a 6.1 receiver, (Yamaha HTR-5660) it would be almost the same cost to buy 2 Bravos and use the Bravo center as a rear center as to buy one Bravo II Center and use it (incorrectly) as surrounds.

b) That same store has CRC7s as factory "renewed"(refurb), as well as new; does anyone have experience with BA as refurbs? The refurb is 65% off.

TIA.

Also, what would be recommended as matching (relatively) low cost Sub?
post #193 of 2977 Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 PM

Is the new vr series cabinet acoustic suspension or bass reflex like the vrm cabinets?

If it was connected properly we wouldn't be having this conversation.
post #194 of 2977 Old 03-31-2006, 07:52 AM

"Is the new vr series cabinet acoustic suspension or bass reflex like the vrm cabinets?"

There are some differences obviously between the two. What those are.....I have no idea. I e-mailed Boston a few years ago before I got my Vr3's wondering what the differences were. They said that they borrowed a lot of the features from the VRM series to make the new VR series. They also had hopes of upgrading the VRM line. That has yet to happen though. They have a new E-series coming out but they hardly look like a VRM replacement. I know this doesn't help you at all but I thought it was worth noting.....
post #195 of 2977 Old 03-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Is the new vr series cabinet acoustic suspension or bass reflex like the vrm cabinets?"

There are some differences obviously between the two. What those are.....I have no idea. I e-mailed Boston a few years ago before I got my Vr3's wondering what the differences were. They said that they borrowed a lot of the features from the VRM series to make the new VR series. They also had hopes of upgrading the VRM line. That has yet to happen though. They have a new E-series coming out but they hardly look like a VRM replacement. I know this doesn't help you at all but I thought it was worth noting.....

The bass reflex type of speakers have a front port or rear port. Some older designs have rectangular slots.

The acoustic suspension type of speakers have totally sealed cabinets.

Acoustic suspension speakers were very popular in the sixties through early eighties. They were then considered a breakthrough in speaker design. Bass reflex types have been around since speakers were invented, and for reasons unknown to me, bass reflex types dominate the market.

I'll use an analogy before closing. If I close the front door when all other doors and windows in the house are closed, there is a slight resistance. Now if I open a couple of windows in the living room, the resistance in closing the front door is gone. So acoustic suspension speakers use the air in a sealed box as it's elastic spring.
post #196 of 2977 Old 03-31-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
flyngaudio, the VR3s are rear ported.
post #197 of 2977 Old 03-31-2006, 06:29 PM

thanks for the answer, I really like the tighter sound of acoustic suspension speakers. I'm not afraid to throw a little more power at my speakers to overcome the spring of the sealed box.

If it was connected properly we wouldn't be having this conversation.
post #198 of 2977 Old 04-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngaudio View Post

thanks for the answer, I really like the tighter sound of acoustic suspension speakers. I'm not afraid to throw a little more power at my speakers to overcome the spring of the sealed box.

Not a bad idea. I wish there were more acoustic suspension speakers. In either camp, there are critically damped speakers that sound tight. In comparison do you think that two critically damped speakers (ported vs sealed) don't sound equally tight?

With my front speakers set at 80 Hz for crossover, I think the side effect is that the port noise goes down. I let my sealed subwoofer take care of the low notes.

I am guessing that you are going to set your front speakers to large, to take care of all the low notes.
post #199 of 2977 Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 AM

Have a question about a new HT I am putting together. I just bought a PIO PRO-1130 HD plasma and am going to buy a Denon 3806 receiver. I've had BA T-830's for 10 yrs (I've replaced the woofers already), and am wondering if I will get good results driving this classic speaker with this newer receiver. Is it time to upgrade my mains?
Frank
post #200 of 2977 Old 04-03-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Frank,

I'm running an Onkyo 702 to my T-930s and they sound great. I also replaced the woofers. I think I would at least try them before looking at something else.
post #201 of 2977 Old 04-03-2006, 05:07 PM

I recently sold my Boston setup but still get to hear it since its in my friend's house now.

VR40's, VRC, 1 pair of VRX, PV700 and a PV500.

IMO, Boston is one of the best mid-level speakers on the market.
I still have an old pair of HD8's that get used regularly.

Oh, and if anyone is seriously comparing Sonus Faber speakers to Boston you are insane. Its in an entirely different category.
post #202 of 2977 Old 04-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimindcontrol View Post

I recently sold my Boston setup but still get to hear it since its in my friend's house now.

VR40's, VRC, 1 pair of VRX, PV700 and a PV500.

IMO, Boston is one of the best mid-level speakers on the market.
I still have an old pair of HD8's that get used regularly.

Oh, and if anyone is seriously comparing Sonus Faber speakers to Boston you are insane. Its in an entirely different category.

Sorry if I offended someone. The Sonus Faber is indeed in a high end class by itself, and should be the clear winner in all respect.
post #203 of 2977 Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcherwm View Post

Frank,

I'm running an Onkyo 702 to my T-930s and they sound great. I also replaced the woofers. I think I would at least try them before looking at something else.

Thanks Belchrwm,
I'll definitely give the BA's a shot with the new system. BTW, I like your HT setup.
post #204 of 2977 Old 04-04-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwg View Post

Sorry if I offended someone. The Sonus Faber is indeed in a high end class by itself, and should be the clear winner in all respect.

Oh, no offense taken! What I should have said was Sonus Fabers, like any "true" higher-end speaker absolutely needs similiar high-end electronics to fully reach their potential. I think any Sonus speaker sounds average on almost all receivers.
post #205 of 2977 Old 04-04-2006, 08:10 AM

"Oh, and if anyone is seriously comparing Sonus Faber speakers to Boston you are insane. Its in an entirely different category."

I am "seriously" comparing the 2. Sonus is over-rated in my book. Just because a speaker is more expensive does not meen it will sound better to me. Is Sonus a good speaker TO ME....yes....it is waaaay above Boston and should be considered to be in a different category....nope. I also compared them with all Rotel and B&K separates by the way. So call me insane all you want....but I do not categorize speakers by price.....only sound.
post #206 of 2977 Old 04-04-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:

"Oh, and if anyone is seriously comparing Sonus Faber speakers to Boston you are insane. Its in an entirely different category."

I am "seriously" comparing the 2. Sonus is over-rated in my book. Just because a speaker is more expensive does not meen it will sound better to me. Is Sonus a good speaker TO ME....yes....it is waaaay above Boston and should be considered to be in a different category....nope. I also compared them with all Rotel and B&K separates by the way. So call me insane all you want....but I do not categorize speakers by price.....only sound.

I do not categorize speakers by price, either. Ok, maybe I should not have used the word insane. That is a little uncalled for.

But I owned boston speakers for years, in my car and home. I work at a Boston & Sonus dealer so I have had the chance to hear their entire lines on various eletronics ranging from Marantz to Bryston to Arcam to Lexicon.

IMO, in a PROPERLY setup system, there is absolutley no comparison. But as always, sound is purely subjective. But when I compare a Boston VR3 to a Sonus Cremona its like night and day in every regard...
post #207 of 2977 Old 04-04-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownMan View Post

Here is my Boston setup:

Mains: VR-30's (Bi-amped)
Center: VR-12 (simply the most powerful sounding center I've ever heard)
Surrounds: VRMX's (amazing surround effect)
Front Presence and Rear (in 7.1)
CR-65's
JBL Northridge E250 12" Subwoofer (sorry the only non Boston speakers but it's a great sub and a steal at $200.00 online)
Yamaha HTR-5990 (7.1) 140 Watts per channel with 2 in 1 out HDMI upconverting and XM Tuner
37" Sceptre NAGA 1080p LCD HDTV (Soon to be Sceptre 42" 1080p coming out Monday)
Sony CX-995V 400 Disc DVD Changer with HDMI upconverting out.
PIV 3.0 GHZ (Dual Core), 2GB PC-4200, ATI AIW X1800, HTPC.

I am totally thrilled with my speaker setup and when listening to DVD-Audio or DTS soundtracks the "Boston Sound" really shines!

Just and update to my setup. I was able to get a set of VRX surrounds for the surround back channels in my 7.1 system to replace the CR-65's. I found them on clearance at a local Magnolia Stereo for a steal. The effect of the VRMX's and the VRX's for the surround content is jaw dropping. They mount really tight to the wall and look great and they really bring to life the THX Select 2 7.1 effects.
I called Boston for the wall brackets (missing from the opened box) and they sent me new ones at no charge! I have been listening to music and watching movies that I've had for years and it's like they've all been mysteriously replaced! I hear and feel sounds that have been trapped waiting to be released for years. WoW!!
post #208 of 2977 Old 04-04-2006, 05:00 PM

Congrats on your purchase of the VRX's. I really thought they were great surround speakers. Great bang for the buck.
post #209 of 2977 Old 04-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Congratulations on your Boston sound.
post #210 of 2977 Old 04-16-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

After installing my system about 6 weeks ago, I finally attempted to use the remote microphone auto set up feature on my Denon 3805 to configure my settings. The process was fairly straightforward, but I had to make a guess on where to set the cross-over point for my subwoofer. I tried it at 80Hz and 120Hz but didn't really notice much difference. I am using BA VR 965s which include a 1 inch tweeter, 3.5 inch midrange and a powered 8 inch subwoofer built into each tower. Suprisingly, the BA manual for the speakers did not state where to set the cross over point on the subwoofer.

Can anyone offer guidance on this?

BTW, the auto-calibration process yielded a minus 5db on the subwoofer which sounded fairly light on bass to me.... is this typical?

Thanks.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page