Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 3030 Old 02-11-2012, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I bought 3 VS 260s for a front sound stage. They aren't here yet, but I have a question. I can't stand the center straight up. Will it harm the speaker placing on its side and does it impact the sound?

You should be fine. The 'foot' on the back of the 260 is designed to be turned so you can up it on it's side like a center channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3030 Old 02-11-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

You should be fine. The 'foot' on the back of the 260 is designed to be turned so you can up it on it's side like a center channel.

I was thinking that would work. I haveBA HS40s right now that have that foot. I think the tweeter should disperse the same sound either way. I guess I will find out next week how the 260 does against the HS 225C as a center. I think that's going 4 models up in quality for the BA line.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #2343 of 3030 Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The CRC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Acous...item2ebae5f541

I made a offer of 40 on the CRC and was accepted is that a good deal?
post #2344 of 3030 Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceavis View Post

i made a offer of 40 on the crc and was accepted is that a good deal?

yes

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #2345 of 3030 Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:

yes

Thank you once again you have been so kind.I may keep an eye out for deals on like the cr6 or smaller and use them as surrounds
post #2346 of 3030 Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceavis View Post

Thank you once again you have been so kind.I may keep an eye out for deals on like the cr6 or smaller and use them as surrounds

CR55/65/57/67 speakers would also make good surrounds. They have the same tweeter as the CRC.
post #2347 of 3030 Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM

vs240 now dropped to 249each.

Anyone have done a comparison between vs260 and vs325c as center channel? Any suggestions?
post #2348 of 3030 Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miky702 View Post

Anyone have done a comparison between vs260 and vs325c as center channel? Any suggestions?

Do you still own 3 of the VS224 - and what are you trying to set up?

post #2349 of 3030 Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miky702 View Post

I ordered 3, 260s for a front sound stage. They should be in tomorrow or the next day. I will let you know how the 260 does as a CC.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #2350 of 3030 Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM

I have spent the last week or two with the VS260's and just got the VS325 center the other day. All I will say is WOW!! For those of you who are on the fence about getting them.....get the &^^$ off the fence and just BUY THEM!!!! Now that they have had a chance to break in a bit they have really opened up. The soundstage is unreal. I usually only listen to music in stereo as I really do not like my music to be 'colored' at all....and that is where these speakers shine!! I always say that good front speakers make DSP modes useless.....and that's EXACTLY what these speakers do. In listening to Peter Gabriel I can shut my eyes and it sounds like he is right in front of me....the percussion is to the right of him and the guitar and keyboard is to the left....it's CRAZY!! The tweeter has that nice bright sound (and NO 'bright' is not a bad thing.....thin and tinny is bad.....'bright' is another word for detailed!). I can hear every pluck of the guitar and hear the fingers slide up the neck of the guitar. The bass is nice and tight with just enough OOMPH. You can play these without a sub and you could almost swear they were full range speakers. I cross them over at 80hrz though and let the sub take care of the rest.....but if you want to cross them over at even 60 you would be fine. Yesterday I listened to the at ref. volumes for the first time and they did not strain AT ALL. They almost beg for more! I listened to 4 songs in a row at that volume and didn't even get the slightest bit fatigued. For the heck of it I took the same CD and put it in my other system that has Polk RTI70 towers. I almost spit my Sam Adams Winter Ale out when I heard the difference!! It was as if somebody but a blanket over everything. They sounded so muffled with no detail at all.....reason 4,857 why I am not a fan of 'warm' speakers!! They are decent speakers.....but those little VS260's eat the Polk's lunch......not even in the same ballpark.... If anybody wants a pair of RTI 70's in mint condition.....let me know....I'll give you a heck of a deal.....for real!!

I have not had a good chance to put the center through its paces yet. I am going to break them in for a few more days before I really give it a shot.

But really people.....if you are the fence.....buy them.... it's a crazy deal right now!!

As for stands.....build your own. I did it for $25 and they work great. I'll post pics when I can figure out how......
post #2351 of 3030 Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have spent the last week or two with the VS260's and just got the VS325 center the other day. All I will say is WOW!!
But really people.....if you are the fence.....buy them.... it's a crazy deal right now!!

Thanks, for the review - I thought that you would really like them.

post #2352 of 3030 Old 02-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Yep.....you nailed it on that recommendation Jim!! Can't thank you enough for your help!!! If it wasn't for you I may have gone with my other choice! To think that I came SO CLOSE to spending almost $600 MORE for a pair or Paradigm Studio 20's!!!! I love those 20's.....but the overall sound of these Bostons are just a bit more complete. To me the 20's were just about as detailed but where they lost it was the mids. I would ALMOST compare the overall soundstage of these 260's to that of the Studio 60's....and they are a floorstanding model and about 2 grand......

For the price of these right now.....it's a no brainer.....I can't think of anything for the price that can even come close to comparing....
post #2353 of 3030 Old 02-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Yep.....you nailed it on that recommendation Jim!! Can't that you enough for you help!!! If it wasn't for you I may have gone with my other choice! To think that I came SO CLOSE to spending almost $600 MORE for a pair or Paradigm Studio 20's!!!! I love those 20's.....but the overall sound of these Bostons are just a bit more complete. To me the 20's were just about as detailed but where they lost it was the mids. I would ALMOST compare the overall soundstage of these 260's to that of the Studio 60's....and they are a floorstanding model and about 2 grand......

For the price of these right now.....it's a no brainer.....I can't think of anything for the price that can even come close to comparing....

Boy, I should really stop reading your reviews of these. My set comes tomorrow. However, so does my newborn son. Which means I have the excruciating wait followed by being at a hospital while my speakers are at home. Granted, I will probably not care tomorrow, but for now it's really making me excited. About both of them!

Glad you're enjoying your speakers though. I'm looking forward to getting mine, setting them up, and listening to some appropriate level music (and probably being subjected to the Teletubbies ).

-Cheers
post #2354 of 3030 Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM

I think they dropped the price of the VS-240 because the VS-260 are about to sell out. There are only 29 left in stock for the VS-260's. There use to be over 130 in stock a couple months ago.
post #2355 of 3030 Old 02-15-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_I View Post

Boy, I should really stop reading your reviews of these. My set comes tomorrow. However, so does my newborn son. Which means I have the excruciating wait followed by being at a hospital while my speakers are at home. Granted, I will probably not care tomorrow, but for now it's really making me excited. About both of them!

Glad you're enjoying your speakers though. I'm looking forward to getting mine, setting them up, and listening to some appropriate level music (and probably being subjected to the Teletubbies ).

-Cheers

HAHA!!!!! Dave...you are getting the best gift there is tomorrow my friend!! Hopefully someday I am lucky enough to get a gift like that! A HUGE congrats to you and yours!!

The speaker are great...you'll love em'. Heck....I'm sure they'll even make the Teletubbies sound good!!
post #2356 of 3030 Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:

HAHA!!!!! Dave...you are getting the best gift there is tomorrow my friend!! Hopefully someday I am lucky enough to get a gift like that! A HUGE congrats to you and yours!!

The speaker are great...you'll love em'. Heck....I'm sure they'll even make the Teletubbies sound good!!

Thanks. Getting them is the easy part. Raising them, on the other hand. However, yes, it is going to be a very special day and I feel very blessed.

While I'll be too preoccupied to really enjoy the speakers for a while, I am totally fine with that. I will try and sneak in a nice movie or some nuanced music to see what they can do and still try to get some use out of them. I'm sure I'll love them. I remain skeptical of their abilities to make the Teletubbies or Wiggles sound good though. My four-year-old daughter may be of a different mindset.

-Cheers
post #2357 of 3030 Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 AM

How can you guys tell how many Vanns has in stock? I can't find that on the page anywhere? I'm dying to get the vs260's to replace my bookshelves that got flooded this fall (with the rest of my house!) but got towait a bit more...I do not want to miss this price though..
post #2358 of 3030 Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarreca View Post

How can you guys tell how many Vanns has in stock? I can't find that on the page anywhere? I'm dying to get the vs260's to replace my bookshelves that got flooded this fall (with the rest of my house!) but got towait a bit more...I do not want to miss this price though..

Just call them up and ask. I will say though.....when I ordered mine a few weeks ago (I did so via phone and not the net.....I'm old fashioned and prefer to talk to an actual human...) they had over a hundred VS260's. The fact that they only have 29 as if yesterday means they will NOT be around this time next week.

Vanns is the only place where you can get these new. They bought all of the remaining VS series speakers from BA once they decided to stop making them. I heard this from the manager at Vanns which is why I know.....

So to sum up.....buy them now....you will not be able to find them in a week and if you do it will be more money and probably used......
post #2359 of 3030 Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just call them up and ask. I will say though.....when I ordered mine a few weeks ago (I did so via phone and not the net.....I'm old fashioned and prefer to talk to an actual human...) they had over a hundred VS260's. The fact that they only have 29 as if yesterday means they will NOT be around this time next week.

Vanns is the only place where you can get these new. They bought all of the remaining VS series speakers from BA once they decided to stop making them. I heard this from the manager at Vanns which is why I know.....

So to sum up.....buy them now....you will not be able to find them in a week and if you do it will be more money and probably used......

My 3, 260s came in Tuesday and I ran them for 48 hours straight to break them in. They provide a great front sound stage. I was a little concerned about using one of them as a center, but not anymore. It works great laying on its side and all speakers are very clear. The front sound stage is just so full now. They carry way more bass than I expected too.

Lowell

post #2360 of 3030 Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My 3, 260s came in Tuesday and I ran them for 48 hours straight to break them in. They provide a great front sound stage. I was a little concerned about using one of them as a center, but not anymore. It works great laying on its side and all speakers are very clear. The front sound stage is just so full now. They carry way more bass than I expected too.

Good show - have fun and enjoy.

post #2361 of 3030 Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Can anyone comment on how the 260s might stack up against the Dynaudio Excite x16?

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM XS 2 (2013)
Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490
Portable IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #2362 of 3030 Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 AM

I just orders some 260's and a center, would have kicked myself if I missed this price...having to replace most of a house after a flood you have to grab a deal when it's there... I have taken the sales guy up on the audioquest he was going to take a few bucks off for me but only had white
I asked about inventory, he said he couldn't say exact numbers but figured about 2 more weeks till they're gone.
post #2363 of 3030 Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Hey all, I have a set of VR950 floor speakers and one of the tweeters went out and I don't know what to do, I called BA and they don't carry them anymore, even the alternate replacements they don't have anymore, they told me the original part number was 010-000490 and then the replacement to that was 010-000527 but even a google search turns up nothing, I've searched Ebay and found nothing. What can I do, does anyone have one of these tweeters they would want to sell?
post #2364 of 3030 Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quick and dirty vid of the Bostons rocking out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73GT...ature=youtu.be
post #2365 of 3030 Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Quick and dirty vid of the Bostons rocking out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73GT...ature=youtu.be

Nice, and they did replace some popular speakers. Continue to have fun.

post #2366 of 3030 Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Nice, and they did replace some popular speakers. Continue to have fun.

Thanks. It's amazing how much power they can handle and sound super clean when used with a sub. I don't typically listen anywhere close to that loud but it is fun to let 'em crank once in a while...
post #2367 of 3030 Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM

I really appreciate all the great advice shared by forum members...so much so that I also just bit the bullet and ordered 2 VS260's and the VS325 from Vanns! I can't wait to hook them up to my Onkyo TX-SR705 and SVS SB12-plus.

Before learning about the incredible markdown on these speakers, I was going to get 2 Verus Grands and the Forte Center.

I'll keep you all posted when the speakers arrive.
post #2368 of 3030 Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan11 View Post

Before learning about the incredible markdown on these speakers, I was going to get 2 Verus Grands and the Forte Center.

I'll keep you all posted when the speakers arrive.

Good show - will be waiting to hear from you.

post #2369 of 3030 Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Am I the only one using 3, 260s as a front sound stage? Makes me think I should send one back and get the 325C. What does everything think of the blend across the front with 325C and 260s? I had 2, HS40s with the 225C before and I could hear the difference between them as sound shifted across. I can't tell with the 3, 260s. Part of my likes it, part of me doesn't. It really makes me realize how much comes out of the center now because I rarely can tell if the L/R are kicking in.

Lowell

post #2370 of 3030 Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Am I the only one using 3, 260s as a front sound stage? Makes me think I should send one back and get the 325C. What does everything think of the blend across the front with 325C and 260s? I had 2, HS40s with the 225C before and I could hear the difference between them as sound shifted across. I can't tell with the 3, 260s. Part of my likes it, part of me doesn't. It really makes me realize how much comes out of the center now because I rarely can tell if the L/R are kicking in.

If your front 3 speakers are level matched, then they should be working
properly. The center channel does carry the weight. And also, depending
on the source or DSP mode, the center will stand out more.

I am using the VS240 as a center with the 260, and they blend well.
I may or may not get the 325C. For me, I want the front 3 channels
to blend togther, and play on an even plane. With the 3 260's - you
should have the ideal set up and blend - distraction only happens for
me, when there is no dynamic or dimensional balance - and that will
happen if the speakers are not timbre matched, or placed right - and
if the timbre match center channel, was not engineered properly.

Edit:
However, I do reccomend the 260 or 325C for center use, over the 240.
It takes more power to drive the 240.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Asw650 by PriceGrabber.com