Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2371 of 2972 Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Am I the only one using 3, 260s as a front sound stage? Makes me think I should send one back and get the 325C. What does everything think of the blend across the front with 325C and 260s? I had 2, HS40s with the 225C before and I could hear the difference between them as sound shifted across. I can't tell with the 3, 260s. Part of my likes it, part of me doesn't. It really makes me realize how much comes out of the center now because I rarely can tell if the L/R are kicking in.

So the VS260 works well as a center when placed horizontally?
alphaiii is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2372 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 AM
Member
 
phantomchess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vanns got an open box VS-336 for only $480. But only one available. I guess you could buy 1 and wait for them to have another on clearance. Though it would be an uncertain waiting period.
phantomchess is offline  
post #2373 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
madhuski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomchess View Post

Vanns got an open box VS-336 for only $480. But only one available. I guess you could buy 1 and wait for them to have another on clearance. Though it would be an uncertain waiting period.

Why would someone return just one tower?

Check out my WAF approved living room theater....now featuring a Submersive!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
madhuski is online now  
post #2374 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

If your front 3 speakers are level matched, then they should be working
properly. The center channel does carry the weight. And also, depending
on the source or DSP mode, the center will stand out more.

I am using the VS240 as a center with the 260, and they blend well.
I may or may not get the 325C. For me, I want the front 3 channels
to blend togther, and play on an even plane. With the 3 260's - you
should have the ideal set up and blend - distraction only happens for
me, when there is no dynamic or dimensional balance - and that will
happen if the speakers are not timbre matched, or placed right - and
if the timbre match center channel, was not engineered properly.

Edit:
However, I do reccomend the 260 or 325C for center use, over the 240.
It takes more power to drive the 240.

Thanks for the input. They do blend so well together that I don't know when the L/R kick in unless the is a definitive L/R sound effect. I guess thats a good thing. The are about 8' apart right now.

I am going to pick up a couple 240s this weekend to replace the surround HS40s. However, I am curious as to why you say the 240s take more power? They are rate up to 100 watts and the 260s are rated up to 250 watts.

Lowell

 

Panasonic AE7000

120" Screen

Def Tech PM65s X 2, CS8080, SR8080BP X 4

PSA XS30 X 2

Denon XS4000

Outlaw Audio 7125

LowellG is offline  
post #2375 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

So the VS260 works well as a center when placed horizontally?

Yes, it works fine laying down. I just moved the bracket to what used to be the wall mount hole and it's perfectly level. By dumb luck the tweeters lined up with the left and rights mains. I had two speaker stands in the attic. They only had 7.5" top plates, but I took a 1' ceramic tile and place on each one. That made them the perfect height with my mini equipment tower that I place the CC on top of. My tweeters are maybe an inch apart on a horizontal plane across the front.

I watched Real Steel last night as the first movie through the new speakers. It's the first movie I have watched in a long time that I didn't feel the need to turn up the volume to hear dialog. I don't know if that was a product of the movie, or the speakers.

Lowell

 

Panasonic AE7000

120" Screen

Def Tech PM65s X 2, CS8080, SR8080BP X 4

PSA XS30 X 2

Denon XS4000

Outlaw Audio 7125

LowellG is offline  
post #2376 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,154
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I am going to pick up a couple 240s this weekend to replace the surround HS40s. However, I am curious as to why you say the 240s take more power? They are rate up to 100 watts and the 260s are rated up to 250 watts.

They can take and handle a lot of power - it just takes somewhat more
power than the 260 and 325C. The sensitivity is lower than the 325C and
260. Raising the volume level to match, will take care of business - they
can still get loud and dynamic, and they are nice.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #2377 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

They can take and handle a lot of power - it just takes somewhat more
power than the 260 and 325C. The sensitivity is lower than the 325C and
260. Raising the volume level to match, will take care of business - they
can still get loud and dynamic, and they are nice.

That's good to know the 240s can take a lot. I plan on adding an Emotiva or Outlaw Audio amp in the future to give the 260s the power they need. I was worried 200 watts from a separate amp might be too much for the 240s.

Lowell

 

Panasonic AE7000

120" Screen

Def Tech PM65s X 2, CS8080, SR8080BP X 4

PSA XS30 X 2

Denon XS4000

Outlaw Audio 7125

LowellG is offline  
post #2378 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,154
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

That's good to know the 240s can take a lot. I plan on adding an Emotiva or Outlaw Audio amp in the future to give the 260s the power they need. I was worried 200 watts from a separate amp might be too much for the 240s.

A speaker will let you know when it is unhappy - and that is when
you turn it down.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #2379 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just ordered a pair of the VS260s to try out. I certainly didn't need them, but the bargain hunter in me just couldn't resist. AVS is bad for one's bank account.

20-some years ago, I used to have a pair of BA T930s.

I've also had VR-1s/VRC. I thought the VR1s were great little theater towers.
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #2380 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

I just ordered a pair of the VS260s to try out. I certainly didn't need them, but the bargain hunter in me just couldn't resist. AVS is bad for one's bank account.

Yes, it is.

I have a pair of those on the way as well.
alphaiii is offline  
post #2381 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,154
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Yes, it is.

I have a pair of those on the way as well.

Will you please slow down. > Now, I may have to buy something
with in the next 2 weeks. I just have to figure it out.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #2382 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Will you please slow down. > Now, I may have to buy something
with in the next 2 weeks. I just have to figure it out.

Haha, well you don't have to.

You can choose to be one of the few sane guys that visit this forum...
alphaiii is offline  
post #2383 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Haha, well you don't have to.

You can choose to be one of the few sane guys that visit this forum...

This place is what makes us lose our sanity!
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #2384 of 2972 Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

This place is what makes us lose our sanity!

So true.

I'm just lucky I haven't been told to sleep outside yet. My lady is amazingly tolerant... although I can tell I've been treading on thin ice lately.

If I don't get some boxes out of the office room and stop bringing new ones in... I'll have to pull up a nice patch of grass in the near future. I did sell the Wharfedale Evo2-8's I recently bought, so that helps offset the arrival of the VS260... right?
alphaiii is offline  
post #2385 of 2972 Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Member
 
daffeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a set of 4 boston acoustics A23 that I need mounted to my ceiling
They don't have a threaded insert at the back and the 2 types of ceiling mounts that work for me have that system.
The A23's do have some kind of cross insert at the back

I was thinking of putting some kind of nut with a hook on the bolt of my omnimounts (5.0) and inserting it to graps that hook but I don't seem to find any.
Anyone that has mounted the A series by another means than inserting a screw in the wall and attaching it to the screw's head?
daffeh is offline  
post #2386 of 2972 Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
GTaudiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just can't understand why more reviews of the VS260 don't exist. I search, and I come up with nothing. I know that $500 is a steal for a pair, but I just wish there was more commentary about them.
GTaudiophile is offline  
post #2387 of 2972 Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,154
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

I just can't understand why more reviews of the VS260 don't exist. I search, and I come up with nothing. I know that $500 is a steal for a pair, but I just wish there was more commentary about them.

I would say at this time, go out and audition different speakers - to
explore different sounds, and find the sound you are looking for. You
have had that desire for a while. If you can not find that sound - then
Boston can pop up again, on places like AC4L, Audiogon, even in the
forum classifieds. Have Fun.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #2388 of 2972 Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djbluemax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
For whatever reason, there is a dearth of Boston Acoustics reviews. There are hardly ANY serious reviews of the now discontinued E100's but these speakers are pretty amazing IMHO. There was only one magazine review I could find of the E100's and it wasn't a technical review (no measurements).

I bought mine unheard (no place close to audition them), based on simple faith in the BA sound and that the E100's were their flagship product representing the pinnacle of their designs, along with the one magazine review plus the comparisons of someone who had heard them and the DefTech Mythos ST and STS. I'm still pleased with them and my own measurements have shown me how capable they are especially with good amplification.


Max
djbluemax1 is offline  
post #2389 of 2972 Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
morrischestnut60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

For whatever reason, there is a dearth of Boston Acoustics reviews. There are hardly ANY serious reviews of the now discontinued E100's but these speakers are pretty amazing IMHO. There was only one magazine review I could find of the E100's and it wasn't a technical review (no measurements).

I bought mine unheard (no place close to audition them), based on simple faith in the BA sound and that the E100's were their flagship product representing the pinnacle of their designs, along with the one magazine review plus the comparisons of someone who had heard them and the DefTech Mythos ST and STS. I'm still pleased with them and my own measurements have shown me how capable they are especially with good amplification.


Max

I had the opportunity to pick up a used pair of E100 for $600 with a Yamaha receiver. I stood there and stared at them for about 30 minutes. They were stunning. Just sooooooooooooo damn heavy. I wish I bought them.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
morrischestnut60 is online now  
post #2390 of 2972 Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djbluemax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60 View Post

I had the opportunity to pick up a used pair of E100 for $600 with a Yamaha receiver. I stood there and stared at them for about 30 minutes. They were stunning. Just sooooooooooooo damn heavy. I wish I bought them.

DAMN that's one heckuva deal, considering they retailed for $2500 EACH. Yes, that's my biggest beef with them, they're not easy to move. I actually looked into replacing them with Goldenear Triton II's just for the smaller, more conventional form factor, until I auditioned the Triton Twos. On 2 different EQ'ED Triton setups at 2 different dealers, I realized that the E100's have very sweet highs and mids, and the Tritons had no advantage there, but crucially, the E100's powered by Emotiva XPA-1 500 watt monoblocks actually dig deeper and go louder than the Triton Twos. That pretty much sealed it for keeping the E100's (or one pair at least. I have 2 pairs).


Max
djbluemax1 is offline  
post #2391 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Newbie
 
SscClt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings... My first post.

I have had a 5.1 vr setup since the 90's which constitutes my "theater":
Vr30 mains
Vr12 center
Vrs surround
12" powered ba sub
-65" Mitsubishi DLP
-looking for a better blu-ray
-looking for newer (better) receiver

Recently, I started to build a vs setup in the living room (which will be 60%+ music):
Vs260 mains (ordered "sound anchor" custom stands)
Vs325c center
-10" powered altec Lansing sub
-42" Samsung LCD
-Pioneer VSX-820k 5.1 receiver
-crappy Sony blu-ray
-ordering REGA turntable (and ext pre amp)

The bedroom gets:
-my supremely crappy early 90's Bose acousimass 9 setup
-40" wall mounted toshiba LED (with sound bar shelf to hold before mentioned Bose cubes)
-Another crappy sonly blu-ray
-And a clapped out, late 90's yamaha 5.1 receiver


Question 1: Should I order 1 or 2 more pair of 260's before they are gone? Or one or two pair of 240's ? Or, 1 of each? Or just one? For surround.... 5.1 or 7.1?????

Next question: I am leaning towards purchasing a yamaha a710 or v671 7.1 receiver for my vr setup. Both offer the option of assigning the rear surround to work as a bi-amped front. Has anyone bi-amped the vr30? If so, did it make a marked improvement to the quality of the sound?

Last question: Has anyone bi-wired the vs260 or vs325? If so, was there a noticeable difference? What about bi-amping?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott
SscClt is offline  
post #2392 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Member
 
phantomchess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SscClt View Post

Greetings... My first post.

I have had a 5.1 vr setup since the 90's which constitutes my "theater":
Vr30 mains
Vr12 center
Vrs surround
12" powered ba sub
-65" Mitsubishi DLP
-looking for a better blu-ray
-looking for newer (better) receiver

Recently, I started to build a vs setup in the living room (which will be 60%+ music):
Vs260 mains (ordered "sound anchor" custom stands)
Vs325c center
-10" powered altec Lansing sub
-42" Samsung LCD
-Pioneer 871(?) 5.1 receiver
-crappy Sony blu-ray
-ordering REGA turntable (and ext pre amp)

The bedroom gets:
-my supremely crappy early 90's Bose acousimass 9 setup
-40" wall mounted toshiba LED (with sound bar shelf to hold before mentioned Bose cubes)
-Another crappy sonly blu-ray
-And a clapped out, late 90's yamaha 5.1 receiver


Question 1: Should I order 1 or 2 more pair of 260's before they are gone? Or one or two pair of 240's ? Or, 1 of each? Or just one? For surround.... 5.1 or 7.1?????

Next question: I am leaning towards purchasing a yamaha a710 or v671 7.1 receiver for my vr setup. Both offer the option of assigning the rear surround to work as a bi-amped front. Has anyone bi-amped the vr30? If so, did it make a marked improvement to the quality of the sound?

Last question: Has anyone bi-wired the vs260 or vs325? If so, was there a noticeable difference? What about bi-amping?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

I have mine bi-wired but they really don't sound any different without bi-wiring. I would probably pick up more pairs of the VS-260, once they are gone they are gone. The VS-240 are just so small, it would be money better spent on the 260's.
phantomchess is offline  
post #2393 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My VS260s are on the way to me, and I should have them tomorrow. Has anyone compared them to the old VR-M60s, and if so, how did they stack up?

TIA
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #2394 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ovation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Hubert, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

My VS260s are on the way to me, and I should have them tomorrow. Has anyone compared them to the old VR-M60s, and if so, how did they stack up?

TIA

I would be curious about such a comparison--I am listening to my "old" VR-M60s (along with my VR-M50s, VRC and PV900) right now. Still sound great to me after 8+ years.
Ovation is offline  
post #2395 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

I would be curious about such a comparison--I am listening to my "old" VR-M60s (along with my VR-M50s, VRC and PV900) right now. Still sound great to me after 8+ years.

I've heard the VR-M60s before, or maybe it was the VR-M50s, but whichever the case, I remember liking them very much.
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #2396 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
YOTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My vs 260's and vs 325c are on the way. I kept going back and forth because of the issue with stands but I decided I didn't want to miss out on this deal. I am also not fond of piano black finish but this should be a huge upgrade from my Energy setup. I wasn't able to order the Ascend Sierra's yet (long story) so I will actually have a chance to audition the Boston's before hand. If I like them enough, I might just go with these for my main setup. I would save quite a bit of money by just doing that. I will just put the speakers on my media table for now while I look for stands. I want to be sure I get stands that work so I didn't want to blind order anything just yet. I hope I can find a reasonable solution because some of the custom stand prices are way out of my ballpark.

Does anyone have an opinion on a good sub for these? I was still leaning towards the Rythmik FV12 but I don't know if it would sound good with music. I also wish it was smaller and sealed, but I don't think I can swing the F12. I used to have an Emotiva Ultra 12 which was great with movies and especially music (probably should have kept it). I will be watching movies/tv with this setup but I recently started listening to a lot more 2 channel music. Thanks in advance!
YOTR is offline  
post #2397 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

My vs 260's and vs 325c are on the way. I kept going back and forth because of the issue with stands but I decided I didn't want to miss out on this deal. I am also not fond of piano black finish but this should be a huge upgrade from my Energy setup. I wasn't able to order the Ascend Sierra's yet (long story) so I will actually have a chance to audition the Boston's before hand. If I like them enough, I might just go with these for my main setup. I would save quite a bit of money by just doing that. I will just put the speakers on my media table for now while I look for stands. I want to be sure I get stands that work so I didn't want to blind order anything just yet. I hope I can find a reasonable solution because some of the custom stand prices are way out of my ballpark.

As far as stands... One option, if you have a few tools and some wood stain, is to buy a pre-fab stand like one of the following:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-750
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...%20%20%20%2036 (I think these pillars are a bit small for the VS260 though)
... then have Home Depot/Lowes cut you 2 pieces of 1x12 oak 12" long (or longer if you want), and 1x8 oak 10.25" deep... This gives you a 12" x 11.25" base plate, and a 7.25" x 10.25" top plate.

Use the existing steel top and base plates that came with the stand to line up the holes, then drill them using a basic drill guide so they're straight.

Stain the wood, grab a couple longer machine screws that match the thread of those that came with the stand... and assemble, preferably sand filling the tubes for stability.

Or build one like this:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html
alphaiii is offline  
post #2398 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Does anyone have an opinion on a good sub for these? I was still leaning towards the Rythmik FV12 but I don't know if it would sound good with music. I also wish it was smaller and sealed, but I don't think I can swing the F12. I used to have an Emotiva Ultra 12 which was great with movies and especially music (probably should have kept it). I will be watching movies/tv with this setup but I recently started listening to a lot more 2 channel music. Thanks in advance!

What's your sub budget?

If you want sealed, but the F12 is too much... what about the SVS SB12-NSD or Epik Legend (bigger, but still a little smaller than the FV12)? Since you liked the Ultra 12, there is also the Emotiva X-Ref 12, available for $599 right now:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/862038-post20.html
alphaiii is offline  
post #2399 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Member
 
johnc_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using a pair of VR950's as my L/R fronts but have a smallish center (Micro 90c) that I'd like to upgrade. As the VR's are so old, I probably will either have to troll the used market for a matching center, or perhaps just add an adequate center. I live in a condo and can't crank the volume so a loud clear center would really help me as I have rock and roll ears (too much live music). I have a Denon receiver that has the self-configuration mic, etc (don't remember all the terminology as I tend to set it and forget it).

Any recommendations are appreciated, or if anything but a matched era center will be a disappointment that would be useful to know as well.

This system is used for 95% HDTV, PS3 games, NetFlix, etc...
johnc_22 is offline  
post #2400 of 2972 Old 02-22-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
YOTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

As far as stands... One option, if you have a few tools and some wood stain, is to buy a pre-fab stand like one of the following:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-750
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...%20%20%20%2036 (I think these pillars are a bit small for the VS260 though)
... then have Home Depot/Lowes cut you 2 pieces of 1x12 oak 12" long (or longer if you want), and 1x8 oak 10.25" deep... This gives you a 12" x 11.25" base plate, and a 7.25" x 10.25" top plate.

Use the existing steel top and base plates that came with the stand to line up the holes, then drill them using a basic drill guide so they're straight.

Stain the wood, grab a couple longer machine screws that match the thread of those that came with the stand... and assemble, preferably sand filling the tubes for stability.

Or build one like this:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html


Thanks. Those are both good options. I also thought about purchasing two small end tables that are the correct height but I don't know how that would effect the sound. I still would prefer a speaker stand though.
YOTR is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off