Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 84 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2491 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which amp matches these babies nicely, with 300$-400$ max ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkoo0 View Post

Which amp matches these babies nicely, with 300$-400$ max ?

Look at this Denon - the 891
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #2493 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well I finally got the VS260's in along with the 325. Vanns took awhile to ship them because they were shipping one of the speakers from one of their stores. Also, only one speaker was double boxed (even though they said they would be all double boxed). I am actually pretty disappointed with the 325 packaging. It was has a very thin box and I could easily see that getting damaged. The boxes for the 260's were pretty good. I haven't opened any of them yet to check but hopefully they arrived okay.

I am looking for speaker stands and I found a site that will make them custom for me. I am wondering about the sizing though. I know the VS260's are 9 inches wide by 10.25 inches deep. Should I go for 10 inches wide by 11 or 12 inches deep? I want to have a little bit of breathing room width and depth wise so I don't want to order the exact measurements of the speakers. It will take a couple of weeks for them to be made. What size should the base plate be? I was thinking 12X12 or 14X14. It would be a single pillar design most likely. I looked at sound anchors but I am not paying that much for speaker stands. The site I found are wood speaker stands, not metal so that may be why they are cheaper. They are still more than buying two stands but not that bad considering they are custom made and painted black before shipping. I was going to go with another stain but I figure I will just keep it simple.

The other option is to just buy two matching end tables that are the correct height and put the speakers on the edge. I have thought about just doing this because then I could be done this weekend. I don't know if the sound would be affected compared to stands though. Now I just have to wait for my SVS SB12 to arrive!
post #2494 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well I finally got the VS260's in along with the 325. Vanns took awhile to ship them because they were shipping one of the speakers from one of their stores. Also, only one speaker was double boxed (even though they said they would be all double boxed). I am actually pretty disappointed with the 325 packaging. It was has a very thin box and I could easily see that getting damaged. The boxes for the 260's were pretty good. I haven't opened any of them yet to check but hopefully they arrived okay.

I am looking for speaker stands and I found a site that will make them custom for me. I am wondering about the sizing though. I know the VS260's are 9 inches wide by 10.25 inches deep. Should I go for 10 inches wide by 11 or 12 inches deep? I want to have a little bit of breathing room width and depth wise so I don't want to order the exact measurements of the speakers. It will take a couple of weeks for them to be made. What size should the base plate be? I was thinking 12X12 or 14X14. It would be a single pillar design most likely. I looked at sound anchors but I am not paying that much for speaker stands. The site I found are wood speaker stands, not metal so that may be why they are cheaper. They are still more than buying two stands but not that bad considering they are custom made and painted black before shipping. I was going to go with another stain but I figure I will just keep it simple.

The other option is to just buy two matching end tables that are the correct height and put the speakers on the edge. I have thought about just doing this because then I could be done this weekend. I don't know if the sound would be affected compared to stands though. Now I just have to wait for my SVS SB12 to arrive!

If you are at al handy or knows somebody that is handy I would make your own stands. I took a weekend and made my own and was able to make them exactly the way I wanted. I went with a 10"W and 11"D top plate and a 12"x12" base plate. bought some decent carpet spikes on Ebay. Total cost for EVERYTHING was $40. All you need is a table saw, drill and some wood screws. I followed the plans here: http://www.danmarx.org/blog/?p=159

I made mine a little fancier but used those stands as a model. Worked out great and WELL WORTH the time.
post #2495 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

My opinion, now that I have the VS260 on my custom stands (made by eD), is that a narrow top plate will look better. Yes the front of the speaker is 9" wide, but the back is only about 6.5". The top plates of my stands are 6.5"Wx9"D (to match my Energy RC-10), and I felt that looks just fine, and the speakers are plenty stable.

More important, IMO, is a sturdy stand, preferably with a weighted base or sand filled column. For the base, I think 12"x12" is sufficient. My stands are only 10"x10", and they work fine, although if I keep the VS260 I'll likely replace the base with a larger one.

And just out of curiosity - which site did you find that will make custom stands? I found this site awhile back: http://www.gwizpro.com/
post #2496 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

My opinion, now that I have the VS260 on my custom stands (made by eD), is that a narrow top plate will look better. Yes the front of the speaker is 9" wide, but the back is only about 6.5". The top plates of my stands are 6.5"Wx9"D (to match my Energy RC-10), and I felt that looks just fine, and the speakers are plenty stable.

More important, IMO, is a sturdy stand, preferably with a weighted base or sand filled column. For the base, I think 12"x12" is sufficient. My stands are only 10"x10", and they work fine, although if I keep the VS260 I'll likely replace the base with a larger one.

And just out of curiosity - which site did you find that will make custom stands? I found this site awhile back: http://www.gwizpro.com/

That's the site! I will probably still go with a 10X11 top plate mainly because I have kids running around (and a 12X12 bottom plate). Do the VS260's have any support on the bottom as far as rubber pads, etc to protect them? I haven't opened mine up yet. I actually forgot about the front baffle being so wide and that the speaker thins out toward the middle and back. I don't think I would notice it much on a stand because they would be facing front or slightly toed in.

I definitely didn't want to get a stand with a ton of room. I figure that would give me half an inch (with a 10 inch plate) on either side width wise for the front (at least from the front baffle) and 3/4 of an inch for the back regarding the depth. I definitely didn't want to go to a foot depth wise if I didn't need it. The two pillar design is actually really inexpensive for a pair shipped. I don't want to pay any more than that honestly as long as they are stable. I noticed on their ebay auctions they state that the measurements could be up to a half of inch different (give or take). Shouldn't be an issue because I would still have a bit left width/depth to cover me.
post #2497 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM

They do not come with little rubber bumpers.....just get them at Home Depot or Walmart. That's what I did and they work out just fine....definitely get them though...
post #2498 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM

My custom stands from Sound Anchors are going to ship this week. They are taking their stock 3 leg stand and customizing the top plate.

As far as expense goes, remember that your 260's should have been $800ea. Spend some of the savings on decent stands and get better quality sound. Buy cheap and get cheap. I believe my stands are just over $300 for filled stands, shipped directly to me.
post #2499 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SscClt View Post

My custom stands from Sound Anchors are going to ship this week. They are taking their stock 3 leg stand and customizing the top plate.

As far as expense goes, remember that your 260's should have been $800ea. Spend some of the savings on decent stands and get better quality sound. But cheap and get cheap. I believe my stands are just over $300 for filled stands, shipped to me.

Can you tell me what size top plate you ordered? So you basically ordered their basic 3 leg stand and just had them enlarge the top plate to fit the VS260? Is that price shipped? I am getting a quote of less than half (around $115 for a pair built from scratch and painted black) of that from the other site and they are also custom made from wood. Maybe it's cheaper because they are not metal like the sound anchor ones. I am not opposed to spending money but $300 is a lot for stands (at least to me). Thanks in advance. Either way, I will have an option if I want to just spend the money on the sound anchor ones.
post #2500 of 2979 Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Can you tell me what size top plate you ordered? So you basically ordered their basic 3 leg stand and just had them enlarge the top plate to fit the VS260? Is that price shipped? I am getting a quote of less than half (around $115 for a pair built from scratch and painted black) of that from the other site and they are also custom made from wood. Maybe it's cheaper because they are not metal like the sound anchor ones. I am not opposed to spending money but $300 is a lot for stands (at least to me). Thanks in advance. Either way, I will have an option if I want to just spend the money on the sound anchor ones.

I don't have my final price just yet. I simply called them up and spoke to the owner (Bob or Bill... I can't remember). I told him what I was looking for and he told me he would custom fabricate the top plate based on the photos and dimensions available on Boston's website.

I guarantee that the sound anchor stands will blow apart most of the competition. The BA's are pretty low end compared to the ones they usually make stands for.

I went with 22"... Almost went 24".

Give them a call and let them sell you on why their product is superior. Or, wait a week and I'll give you a review first hand.

Either way, best of luck!
post #2501 of 2979 Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 24
If any new VS260 owners are still looking for stands for them, I've found a pair that are reasonably priced, look great with them, and most importantly of all, have a top plate with diminsions of 7" wide x 9.5" deep, so the 260s sit almost perfectly on them with only about 1" hanging over the sides right at the very front. click here for more info.

These are originally for speakers that are Gloss Black too.
post #2502 of 2979 Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 PM

U mean the vs260 would sit perfectly on the stands and not vs240 no?
post #2503 of 2979 Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by miky702 View Post

U mean the vs260 would sit perfectly on the stands and not vs240 no?

Correct, I mean the 260s fit almost perfectly on them.
post #2504 of 2979 Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM

I finally received my surrounds! Those NHTs looked really nice but my cheap-a** ended up ordering a couple of b-stock BA RS230s for half the price. They came recommended by BA technical support as an alternative to the VS240s and match up nicely from a visual perspective (also piano black). Unfortunately I'll be out of town for a week so I won't have time to set up and calibrate them for a little while.

I'm loving the VS260s and VS325, no regrets...I'll take pics of the whole setup once I have it done.
post #2505 of 2979 Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan11 View Post

I finally received my surrounds! Those NHTs looked really nice but my cheap-a** ended up ordering a couple of b-stock BA RS230s for half the price. They came recommended by BA technical support as an alternative to the VS240s and match up nicely from a visual perspective (also piano black). Unfortunately I'll be out of town for a week so I won't have time to set up and calibrate them for a little while.

I'm loving the VS260s and VS325, no regrets...I'll take pics of the whole setup once I have it done.

Thanks, will be waiting to hear back from you.

post #2506 of 2979 Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I use these for the 260's. Little bit of velcro and blue tack and good to go - http://www.vivedecor.com/TransDeco-T...ck_p_4287.html

Look super nice with the speaker.
post #2507 of 2979 Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Does anyone have experience, knowledge, or recommendations on BA's in ceiling speakers? I am looking for something for the 2 center surround and possibly 2 rear surrounds.

- Denon AVR-2310CI receiver
- Boston Accoustic CS260 II
- Boston Acoustic PV600 Sub

the room is roughly 19 x 14. Seating will be along the edges.

thanx
post #2508 of 2979 Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I see Vann's has a pair of open box VS260's... get them while you can.
post #2509 of 2979 Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 AM

So, I think I talked my wife into letting me wall mount my VS260 surrounds (I was lucky enough to get the VS325c and four VS260's when they went on closeout). Any leads on a wall mounting bracket? I've tried searching and have been incredibly unlucky doing so? Also, any best height recommendations specific to the VS 260 or this line for surround height? I've been told 6' to 8' angled a bit in front of the main listening area is best in another thread, possibly aimed down a bit, and I am planning on putting them in the corner and if possible angling them out just a bit. Just wondering if there is anything specific to this set to consider.

-Cheers
post #2510 of 2979 Old 03-15-2012, 04:13 PM

I was at the local TV store today and they have a BA Floor model A 225C Center Channel speaker for $99.00 I was thinkin of picking it up. Anybody have one? Like / not like?

thanx
post #2511 of 2979 Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_I View Post

So, I think I talked my wife into letting me wall mount my VS260 surrounds (I was lucky enough to get the VS325c and four VS260's when they went on closeout). Any leads on a wall mounting bracket? I've tried searching and have been incredibly unlucky doing so? Also, any best height recommendations specific to the VS 260 or this line for surround height? I've been told 6' to 8' angled a bit in front of the main listening area is best in another thread, possibly aimed down a bit, and I am planning on putting them in the corner and if possible angling them out just a bit. Just wondering if there is anything specific to this set to consider.

-Cheers

BA actually removed the 260 from their wall mountable list. I want to wall mount my front 260s and am looking for a small 1 sq ft shelf.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #2512 of 2979 Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

BA actually removed the 260 from their wall mountable list. I want to wall mount my front 260s and am looking for a small 1 sq ft shelf.

I saw they had removed that in the online owner's manual. Two questions:

1) Why? And;

2) What are the other "best" options? I'd love to know what sort of shelf recommendations or whatnot one might refer me to, presuming the wall-mounting bracket is not an option. Which I do not get since the VS 325c apparently IS.

-Cheers
post #2513 of 2979 Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) Why? And;

2) What are the other "best" options? I'd love to know what sort of shelf recommendations or whatnot one might refer me to, presuming the wall-mounting bracket is not an option. Which I do not get since the VS 325c apparently IS.

-Cheers

Have you mounted the 325? It looks to heavy to me. The same mount is used on my 240s and the 325 and I just don't want try it.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #2514 of 2979 Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) Why? And;

-Cheers

Quick google of 12" x 12" shelf gave me this.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CEsQ8gIwCjgk

There are plenty of 12" corner shelves.

Lowell

post #2515 of 2979 Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Have you mounted the 325? It looks to heavy to me. The same mount is used on my 240s and the 325 and I just don't want try it.

No, I haven't. I'm just noting that it came with a bracket, presuming they must have tested it as safe. The 260 is a lot smaller & lighter (although I forget by how much). It just seems like if they dubbed the 325 safe and the 240 safe for wall-mounting (unless they've reneged on the 325) that the 260 should hypothetically be fine. It beats me though.

Quote:

Quick google of 12" x 12" shelf gave me this.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CEsQ8gIwCjgk

There are plenty of 12" corner shelves.

True. I just wanted to make sure I got one adequate for the job, however it is not like it is a super heavy weight or anything.

-Cheers
post #2516 of 2979 Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygremlin View Post

I was at the local TV store today and they have a BA Floor model A 225C Center Channel speaker for $99.00 I was thinkin of picking it up. Anybody have one? Like / not like?

thanx

I have this center with the matching floorstanders (CS 226, the predecessor to the current CS260II) and matching surrounds (CS26).

I bought these all last summer when my local dealer had a closeout @ 50% off (no longer selling this brand). I paid $600 Canadian (+tax) for the set - the center itself was $100 - all NIB.

I had been looking at Polk, Energy, Klipsch and Paradigm at the time and bought these kind of on a spur of the moment because of the price. My room build was delayed (should be up and running the end of this month), so I've had them in my bedroom since last summer, not ideally placed or calibrated - nice burn it time

I have actually been quite happy/impressed with this line. I know these aren't the last word in fidelity by any means (even in BA's own stable of products), but based on what I paid for them, I think I'm getting good quality for money.

As I have a matching set, not sure how this center would work for you if you don't have matching fronts, but overall its not bad. If it's a demo, I would maybe try to get them to shave a little more off, but probably even that asking price is not terrible.

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
post #2517 of 2979 Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Has anyone heard the rs 326 towers? A local store has them on sale for 700 for a pair.
post #2518 of 2979 Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Would there be any wall-mountable options (bracket or secured shelf) that would fit the VS 260 and maybe allow for them to be safely angled down?

-Cheers
post #2519 of 2979 Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would there be any wall-mountable options (bracket or secured shelf) that would fit the VS 260 and maybe allow for them to be safely angled down?

-Cheers

Look at post #2141 and see what one person did.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...629871&page=72

post #2520 of 2979 Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM

Hello, I have a question. I finally came to my senses to get rid of my Bose system(selling it now). I went a bit retro and got a good deal on some BA T-1000 tower speakers. They sound great btw. I have a pioneerVSX-1021-K receiver. Once I sell the Bose, I will need to purchase some center channel speakers along with a sub, and rear speakers. Do I keep the speakers or do I get a whole new system? If I do keep , what should I pair with these classic T-1000?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page