Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2996 Old 01-11-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I've threatened to do in other treads, I'm starting a thread dedicated to Boston Acoustics related discussions and information. I've liked BA's sound quality since I first auditioned them in 1988 and I currently building all of my 7.1 system around BA speakers. I also think they are a reputable company with good build quality and responsive customer service.

As I've shopped recently for the side and rear speakers for my system, I have found it difficult to connect with other BA owners who have BA surrounds. As an aid to myself and others who have questions or discussion topics for BA, I'm starting this tread.

To get things rolling, please post your set-up and identify what BA speakers you are using!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2996 Old 01-11-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mains: Lynnfield VR965 (with integrated power subwoofers)
Center: VRC
Surround Side: Bravo IIs (just ordered)
Surround Rear: Bravo IIs (just ordered)
Rec'vr: Denon 3805
Music Sources: Omnifi WiFi DMA, Technics CD, Panasonic DTS DVD player

Favorite Music: Jack Johnson (On and On), Diane Krall (Paris), Steely Dan (Gaucho), Nora Jones (any)
post #3 of 2996 Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 PM

Mains: VR2s
Center: Still deciding
Surround: Polk R15s - I know they are not BA
Rec'vr: Onkyo TX-SR502
Music Sources: Pioneer DVD player, JVC CD player, Panasonic DVD player
post #4 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 08:31 AM

Good thread

Here are my setup, I'm 80% musics, 20% movies:

Front L/R -- Boston VR2
Center -- Axiom VP150
Surround -- Axiom M22ti
Subwoofer -- M&K V75 MK3
Receiver -- Harman Kardon AVR320

OK, you might say the setup is not timbre matched for the front. But I don't mind about timbre matching as I'm only 20% on movies.

Initially i was moving towards Axiom speakers for all 5.1 speakers setup. Before making the purchase of Axiom M60ti for in home trial, I got the chance to listen to both VR3 and VR2.

I like both the VR2 and VR3 when first demonstrating using "Spanish Harlem". I'm very familiar with this song using the Axiom M22ti+the M&K sub.

I've auditioned Wharfedale, Klipsch, Paradigm, and Axiom M22ti side by side. The Axiom is performing very very well against the brands mentioned and provide more savings over certain brands.

That almost justify my purchase for M60ti as I think M60ti will sure perform better than M22ti. But after hearing the the Bostons, I found out that it produce a wider sound stage, a tad more focus and detail in center vocal, and more sense of depth. As you know in stereo image can be generally divided into 5 sectors: Left--Center Left--Center--Center Right -- Right. YOu can "see" the intruments that are located at the Right and Left are always located outside of the VR. This is a good sense of imaging and depth.

Since I like both the Bostons so much, and VR2 suits my budget, I opted for eliminating the order and trial hustle with M60ti, and went with the VR2 purchase.

Been owning the VR2 for more than 10moths, I'm still very very much impressed with it's neutrality and musicality

-TC

Thx.
Rgds,
TC
Boston Acoustics VR2
M&K V75-MK III Subwoofer
Axiom M22ti and VP150 for HT
Harman Kardon AVR-320
post #5 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

In secondary game/kids room, denon avr 485(its a kids room) BA VR2. I purchased these for my basement thinking I would have a second mini theatre for my son, and his friends. I knew when I bought them that they werent necessarily hi-fi, but thought it would be a cheap way to add another theater room, and not have to fight my son and his friends for time in "dads" playroom. After getting things setup, and operating, I became very dissapointed. Thought it might be the denon, so I brought my anthem AVM20, along with bryston 14B SST down to see if I could make it better. Nope. These speakers sound very thin, with a lack of depth I cant explain in words. Now I tried not to compare them with my aerial acoustics as it wouldnt be a fair comparison, so I compared to NHT 2.9s. Once again, vr2 lost in every musical way possible, Im not here to bash your thread, just an owner describing experience. Now, does my son think their OK? Yeah, but even he tries to turn bass knob up to try and fill void. IMO their is so much out there that outperforms these speakers at their pricerange, that to finish my project, I now need to replace the BAs. Anyone interested in them? Why did I buy them in the first place you ask? My son was having a new years eve party, I didnt want them using my setup all night, and this gave him his own party room. I purchased them seeing reviews like ones above, and thinking for the price it couldnt be that bad, especially since some of the reviews are people who spent time auditioning, and thought they compared with higher priced speakers. My guess is that whatever you choose to purchase, you will defend it whether or not its as good as you want it to be. IMO these speakers are no better than infinity, JBL, klipsch, or polk. So if anyone here would like to purchase a literally "like new" set of VR2s, please let me know, you can PM me if youd like. BTW, if your happy with the sound thats all that matters.
post #6 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to a review of an VR-M60 based home theater set including VR-MXs from Home Cinema Choice, a UK publication. Its a bit old however, 2001.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/revi...MReference.php
post #7 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

And here is a link to the most extensive review of the BA VR-3s as written by AVS forum member SteveCallas.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591331
post #8 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 11:58 AM

Dave,
i think your message fit better for "Hardware for Sale/Trade" at the other link in AVS ...yes?
Wonder if anyone will buy from you after your own "VR2 product marketing" because your VR2 seems sounded bad

HomeTheaterMag featured a review about VR3...
http://www.hometheatermag.com/comple...ems/705boston/

VR3 has more low and plays louder. My listening found out that the mid and high for both VR3 and VR2 are very very similar. Or I would say i can't really hear a difference when comes to mid and high.

Of the VR2 i tested, the bass certainly is tight, fast and low enough for majority of the music. At least the VR2 is able to fill my 11x24x9 ft hall. The dedicated mid range driver contribute nicely to vocal, it doesn't sound thin at all when I compared it with Klipsch RF3 and Wharfedale Diamond 8.4

-TC

Thx.
Rgds,
TC
Boston Acoustics VR2
M&K V75-MK III Subwoofer
Harman Kardon AVR-320
post #9 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpa View Post

In secondary game/kids room, denon avr 485(its a kids room) BA VR2. I purchased these for my basement thinking I would have a second mini theatre for my son, and his friends. I knew when I bought them that they werent necessarily hi-fi, but thought it would be a cheap way to add another theater room, and not have to fight my son and his friends for time in "dads" playroom. After getting things setup, and operating, I became very dissapointed. Thought it might be the denon, so I brought my anthem AVM20, along with bryston 14B SST down to see if I could make it better. Nope. These speakers sound very thin, with a lack of depth I cant explain in words. Now I tried not to compare them with my aerial acoustics as it wouldnt be a fair comparison, so I compared to NHT 2.9s. Once again, vr2 lost in every musical way possible, Im not here to bash your thread, just an owner describing experience. Now, does my son think their OK? Yeah, but even he tries to turn bass knob up to try and fill void. IMO their is so much out there that outperforms these speakers at their pricerange, that to finish my project, I now need to replace the BAs. Anyone interested in them? Why did I buy them in the first place you ask? My son was having a new years eve party, I didnt want them using my setup all night, and this gave him his own party room. I purchased them seeing reviews like ones above, and thinking for the price it couldnt be that bad, especially since some of the reviews are people who spent time auditioning, and thought they compared with higher priced speakers. My guess is that whatever you choose to purchase, you will defend it whether or not its as good as you want it to be. IMO these speakers are no better than infinity, JBL, klipsch, or polk. So if anyone here would like to purchase a literally "like new" set of VR2s, please let me know, you can PM me if youd like. BTW, if your happy with the sound thats all that matters.

---have it occurred to u that u might have a pair of defective speakers?
post #10 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
VR3s here - still undecided on what to upgrade my center to...perhaps I'll pick up david's VR2s and use one as the center I did a lot of auditioning and nothing could touch the VR3s in terms of soundstage, detail, presence, and trueness of sound.
post #11 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Wasnt trying to sell here, just came up as I was typing. There is nothing wrong with the speakers(cosmetically), I think maybe they just dont fit the bill for me, Im somewhat spoiled when it comes to what Im able to listen to in my room, so its tough for me to enjoy these at all, even in the pricerange they are at. I just expected them to sound much better with the bryston amp, and all it did was open the VR2s up, but not enough to want to keep, and invest in another theater room with timbre matched speakers. In their defense, and for you boston owners, imaging was decent,but the soundstage limited, highs seems little to bright, there is lack of bottom end, BUT the mids are suffice. I really could go on and on, this is JMO, and my tastes differ from many ( I guess all, this is a BA thread) I guess I just expected these to be a litter better than they are. SAT. And, any speaker will fill a room with sound, its how well it sounds that counts to me.
post #12 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im somewhat spoiled when it comes to what Im able to listen to in my room, so its tough for me to enjoy these at all

Quote:

In their defense, and for you boston owners

Lol, if you don't like them that is fine - I don't think comments like these are needed however.
post #13 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mains VR975's
Center VR920
Surrounds Bravos
This system served me well for over three years. I replaced these with another brand about a year ago but can't seem to part with the BA's. My wive sometimes tells me I'am to much of a packrat. I still listen to the BA's every once in a while.
Unlike davidpa I still think these are a decent speaker.

ps:

SteveCalas, if you can, try to get your hands on the 920 center. IMO, this is still the best cc Boston Acoustics has made to date.
post #14 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Boston has told me flat out I should try to get a VR12 - they are checking their warehouse to see if they have any left (doubtful) - I'll look into the 920, thanks.
post #15 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

steve, facts are facts, and you are entitled to disagree, thats your right. I also stated that if they sound good to you thats all that matters. My tastes are obviously different than yours.
post #16 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, (I did a lot of auditioning and nothing could touch the VR3s in terms of soundstage, detail, presence, and trueness of sound.) LOL as well, like I stated earlier, people will defend their purchase regardless of what else is out there. And your more than welcome to offer a price for the VR2s, youd obviously get a deal on them, and they'd go to a home where they are appreciated, and listened to.
post #17 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post

Mains VR975's
Center VR920
Surrounds Bravos

AHA! I finally found a Bravo owner. How did you like them as surrounds? Did you use 2 or 4? Did you compare to the VR-MX and VRMEX?
post #18 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 PM

Just bought tonight:
*Mains: VR3s
*Center: VRC

Surrounds & Sub: older NHT equipment

After listening to std Magnolia speech "we can't budge on Boston prices...they won't let us"...etc etc, I showed em an estimate I got from local HT installer which was below MSRP because they had included the Bostons in a larger HTS pkg including installation. Then I worked it lower. Ended up ~30% below MSRP, saved about $500.

Moral of the story: don't settle for the Boston won't let us.
post #19 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 09:30 PM

Steve, congrats on your purchased! Been following your other thread for quite sometime, and finally you got the VR3 with you

Which color did you pick?

I was auditioning the black ash vinyl VR. My VR2 is black in color too. I have never seen the VR3/VR2 Dark Cherry color in real life.

Anyone with Dark Cherry Boston mind posting some pictures here?
I feel that the pictures from BA website doesn't do justice for the Dark Cheery...the color looks rather dull from their sample pictures. Maybe it doesn't do the justice

-TC

Thx.
Rgds,
TC
Boston Acoustics VR2
M&K V75-MK III Subwoofer
Harman Kardon AVR-320
post #20 of 2996 Old 01-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpa View Post

... Now I tried not to compare them with my aerial acoustics as it wouldnt be a fair comparison, so I compared to NHT 2.9s.

Still not a fair comparison as the 2.9s retailed 10 years ago for over double what the Bostons are today.

I do agree that they are more comparable to other mass market, mid-fi brands like Polk especially, Klipsch, Infinity, JBL, etc.
post #21 of 2996 Old 01-13-2006, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinMe View Post

AHA! I finally found a Bravo owner. How did you like them as surrounds? Did you use 2 or 4? Did you compare to the VR-MX and VRMEX?

ZinMe,
I tried the VR-MX a couple of years ago intending them as an upgrade to the Bravo. My room is also the living room and given limited placement options the Bravos sounded much better than the MX's. I was using a 5.1 setup. The couch is only a few inchs from the back wall. The bravos were placed in the corner of the back wall and the ceiling. They worked well there.
post #22 of 2996 Old 01-13-2006, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

Boston has told me flat out I should try to get a VR12 - they are checking their warehouse to see if they have any left (doubtful) - I'll look into the 920, thanks.

Steve,
I think that the vr12 and the 920 are almost the same speaker. They sounded the same to me. They have the same tweeter and midrange but the 920 had elliptical woofers.
post #23 of 2996 Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post

ZinMe,
I tried the VR-MX a couple of years ago intending them as an upgrade to the Bravo. My room is also the living room and given limited placement options the Bravos sounded much better than the MX's. I was using a 5.1 setup. The couch is only a few inchs from the back wall. The bravos were placed in the corner of the back wall and the ceiling. They worked well there.

Thanks for the info. Did the Bravos sound better for musit, HT or both? I am setting up a 7.1 and have 4 bravos on order, although I'm thinking of getting two MXs as well to see if they sound better on the sides with the bravos in the back.
post #24 of 2996 Old 01-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Main HT:
Main L & R: BA A100
Center: BA CenterSat 7
Surrounds: BA CR6
SW: Dayton 10"
AVR: Yamaha HTR-5650
DVD: Pioneer DV-578A
Display: JVC 52Z575 D-ila

Bedroom HT:
Main L & R: BA A60 series II
Center: BA CenterSat 7
AVR: Yamaha HTR-5630
DVD: Older RCA player
Display: Older 20" RCA Stereo CRT

I also have BA A40s, and A70s in my daughters' bedroom stereo systems. I bought the A70s new in '86, and the CR6s new, but the rest have all been purchased used. I've also owned and sold BA T-930, HD-5, and a CRC center. I love the sound of the older A series Boston Acoustics, and for what you can get them for used, I can't see why anyone would pay what they want for their newer models. Granted, I've had to replace the rotted foam surrounds on most of them, but that is an easy and cheap DIY fix. I guess I just prefer the sound of older vintage gear, because I use KLH 17s from 1966 in my main 2-channel system.
post #25 of 2996 Old 01-13-2006, 04:13 PM

What do I have. Lets see:

MAINS:
VR40 (one pair)
VR940 (one pair)

BOOKSHELF:
VR-M50 (one pair)
HD8 (two pair)
HD5 (two pair)

SUBS:
PV1000
VR2000
PV600
PV400
SW10 (two)

SURROUNDS:
VR-MX (two pair)
VR-M/EX (one pair)

CENTERS:
VR-10
VR-12
VR-920

That should just about cover it.

Why do we park in Driveways and drive on Parkways?
post #26 of 2996 Old 01-13-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:

I think that the vr12 and the 920 are almost the same speaker. They sounded the same to me. They have the same tweeter and midrange but the 920 had elliptical woofers.

Actually, the midrange is smaller in the VR920 (3 1/2") compared to the VR12 (4 1/2"). The VR920 has the same size midrange as the VR10.

I do have to agree with you that there is not much difference in sound between the VR12 and the VR920 (I think the VR12 has a bit better midrange but the VR920 has a bit better low end). But, I think I like the VR920 better because of its lower profile.

Why do we park in Driveways and drive on Parkways?
post #27 of 2996 Old 01-13-2006, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which color did you pick?

I was auditioning the black ash vinyl VR. My VR2 is black in color too. I have never seen the VR3/VR2 Dark Cherry color in real life.

I went with the black ash but the dark cherry looked very nice. I didn't want to have different color speakers so I kept it simple and black and they match my sub nicely.
post #28 of 2996 Old 01-14-2006, 08:06 PM

My current setup:

Mains: Black VR3's
Center: VR12
Surrounds: Bravo I's (6ohm)

I've been thinking about upgrading the VRB's or VRX's, but I haven't read a single thing about how those two sound.
post #29 of 2996 Old 01-14-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

mthird - had you been holding on to the VR12 for a while and then picked up the VR3s afterwards, or how did that work?
post #30 of 2996 Old 01-14-2006, 08:19 PM

Steve,

Hehe, its a funny story.

I purchased a set of VR-970's and a VR-12 back in 2000 (the wife got the baby, I got the home theatre :P). The 970's were unstable and almost fell over numerous times. So after two years the whole setup went to eBay. I replaced them with Bravo I's all around and a CRC center channel. Oh, the horror!

Seriously, it wasn't that bad, but I decided to get back in the game shortly before Christmas. I was able to jump on the Crutchfield 2fer1 special (aka 50% refurbs). I also found a VR-12 on eBay that cost me more than what I sold the original one for. Oh well, life goes on.

BTW, loved the VR3 vs Aperion thread.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Asw650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page