44Likes

post #271 of 52361 Old 05-28-2006, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I noticed the regular URL (www.audioexcellence.com) has been non-operative for the last few days. I guess due to maintenance. Hopefully it will be back up in the next few days, because this other URL [is] horrible. Hopefully, not an example of their integrity and business organization.

yeah........have'nt seen any sight of those new RC-Subs yet anywhere either.

Don't let the web site fool you, they are very good in supplying (and quickly) what it is you order. I live on the west coast of Canada and I recieved the order in 1 week. I give them the highest marks. I also saved myself about $1,000 by not buying the speakers locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 52361 Old 05-28-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Correct. You [don't] want to use the side hole. The banana plug should insert through the middle hole from the (outside) front of the screw cap.

However, on the newer models there is a small [internal] plastic plug preventing you from poking the banana plug completely through. And the only way to fix this is by removing the screw cap, extracting the plastic plug, then replace screw cap (per Energy manual). Not exactly sure if it's the same on the older (or previous) C-Series?

ahh, okay. i thought he meant he was taking the cap off to put the banana plug through that hole in side of the binding post! i got my speakers as demos, so maybe that's why they didn't have the plastic plug. carry on!
post #273 of 52361 Old 05-28-2006, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry431 View Post

Don't let the web site fool you, they are very good in supplying (and quickly) what it is you order. I live on the west coast of Canada and I recieved the order in 1 week. I give them the highest marks. I also saved myself about $1,000 by not buying the speakers locally.

Great to know, thanks!
post #274 of 52361 Old 05-29-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah...........I spoke with a representative at Audio Images in regards to this issue.

He said they placed an RC-30 and an (older) C-6 or C-7, side-by-side, and he claims the older C-Series "blew the RC-Series away", in his words. Although he can't speak for all other Energy dealers and representatives.

He claims the problem is emitting from the "mid-bass" range. Apparently, Energy (he claims) has to make changes to the cross-over to fix this issue. Consequently, he has returned all his RC-30 and RC-50 stock back to Energy to be analyzed.

However, the same rep claims his [new] C-series product performs very well.

You can call for yourself and see what you think (610) 437-1200 . I plan to communicate directly with Energy in regards to this issue.

Thanks, gondey99 for your information.

I just received this e-mail reply (today) from the Energy brand product manager in regards to these issues (quote):

"A very small group of people have expressed some desire for more output in the midrange area, but this has been only from a very small number of dealers, who seem to be alone in this request. From memory, I believe that there were a few units, from the first production run, with low tweeter levels, which made the midrange sound less present, accounting for this issue. Since then we have made major steps towards ensuring that the tweeters are accurate in their level, ensuring the issues are avoided. As such, the RC-30 and RC-50 have been extremely successful for Energy, with much praise from our dealer network.

Regards,

Scott Goodman
Energy Speakers Brand Manager"
post #275 of 52361 Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have XL-C100 and XL-C150 fronts. I am using a pair of Paradigm Cinema 90's as rear surrounds (5.1 system), and would like to change those to in-wall. Is the EAS-6W a good "match" to the XL's? I plan on using the Paradigm's on another TV.
post #276 of 52361 Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr View Post

I went for the 30's because they are significantly smaller and I didn't have a bounty of room to place them in (even the 30's are large for the room they've been allocated). Plus, I only needed to make music for about 500 square feet, which the 30's are well up to the task for. I prefered the sound of the 50's and they're a bit more efficient. If I'd had more space, I'd have grabbed them instead for sure. I think either will bring smiles and happiness, but the 50's are a nicer speaker.

Well...........I just ordered new RC-30's with an RC-LCR center. Tough decision (I came close to getting RC-50's). I guess price won out in the end.

Also, I thought the Yamaha RX-V1600 (@120W per/chan) will be better matched with the RC-30's (but probably does'nt matter here?).

I will now be selling my [brand-new] C-300 towers, C-C100 center and C-200 rears.
LL
LL
post #277 of 52361 Old 05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBrengartner View Post

In a few days I'll have my RC-70 mains, RC-LCR, and RC-R surrounds - I'm excited! Sucks to have to wait though... I'm queueing up CDs and DVDs to play on it when they arrive!

So have you set up your RC-70's? How does everything sound?
post #278 of 52361 Old 05-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Well...........I just ordered new RC-30's with an RC-LCR center. Tough decision (I came close to getting RC-50's). I guess price won out in the end.

Also, I thought the Yamaha RX-V1600 (@120W per/chan) will be better matched with the RC-30's (but probably does'nt matter here?).

rrrrrrrraaawwwwrrrrrr!! stereo-warming party in pasadena!

i can't wait to hear how the system impresses you! that LCR is amazing... the more i hear it, the more i respect it. and the 30's... well they bring me happiness daily, so i have no worries they'll do the same for you!

congrats and post back soon!
post #279 of 52361 Old 05-31-2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:

So have you set up your RC-70's? How does everything sound?

Sorry for not getting back sooner - I was gone for the holiday weekend.

It's amazing - the bass that the 70s can produce is incredible. And the center channel is huge! and sounds great. Monday I get my tv installed and then everything will be in place, finally.

While I was gone, I put a cd on repeat and let it play at a moderately high level for two days - that gets me pretty close to the 50 hours my dealer recommended for burn in, but not the 100 that Energy itself recommended in the manual. I can't say I notice much of a difference. Plus, I cheated and played them loud right away - I couldn't help it.

I still need to tweak the EQ a bit - the surrounds sound a bit soft from time to time. But what an impressive set! Highly recommended!
post #280 of 52361 Old 06-02-2006, 08:31 AM

FYI everyone - there is a Energy C-C3 on ebay right now!!! I wish I could bid on it but I simply dont have the extra cash Still looking for a single C-3 to use as a center.
post #281 of 52361 Old 06-05-2006, 01:57 PM

Liked: 11
You can get a C-C3 from this site: http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml...tid=156&step=4
post #282 of 52361 Old 06-05-2006, 03:52 PM

i have a like-new C-C1 center channel for sale if anyone's interested. matches great with the C-3s, i believe it's the same tweeter.
post #283 of 52361 Old 06-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Correct. You [don't] want to use the side hole. The banana plug should insert through the middle hole from the (outside) front of the screw cap.

However, on the newer models there is a small [internal] plastic plug preventing you from poking the banana plug completely through. And the only way to fix this is by removing the screw cap, extracting the plastic plug, then replace screw cap (per Energy manual). Not exactly sure if it's the same on the older (or previous) C-Series?

Yes...that is what I did, but you can not unscrew the cap completely off by hand. It is way to tight once it unscrews past half way. For some reason, they made it this way,
post #284 of 52361 Old 06-06-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc99 View Post

Yes...that is what I did, but you can not unscrew the cap completely off by hand. It is way to tight once it unscrews past half way. For some reason, they made it this way,

yeah.........the binding post's on the previous C-Series (ie. C-1's. C-3's, C-5's, etc.,...) are probably designed slightly different from the [new] C-Series (I sold my C-1's, C-3's and C-5's, so I'm going by memory).

If I remember correct, these previous models have a plastic shroud around the end-screw cap? This end-screw cap should have a center hole on the outside, correct? Well you should be able to insert a banana plug through the end-screw cap hole (from the outside), with the end-screw cap completely hand-tightened. Try this out.

Moreover, there may [not] be a problem with any plastic plug insert with these previous C-Series binding post's, so don't worry about un-screwing end-screw cap.

Once again, the [new] C-Series binding post's do [not] have a plastic shroud on the end-screw cap, and [do] contain small plastic insert/plug's internally. Consequently, you have to un-screw the end-screw cap, remove the small plastic insert/plug, replace end-screw cap (hand tighten). Then insert banana plug through (outside) hole. Straight forward, simple.

Otherwise, I would use spade lugs, actually they provide a better, more efficient, surface contact. I prefer the Monster "QuickLock" Gold Spades (Part No. QL GAS-B, or QL GAS-H), these work wonderful. You can find these at Best Buy.
post #285 of 52361 Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 PM

I'm looking for some speaker stands to go with my white Take 5.2 satellites. I'd like to get the stands from Energy, but I've only been able to find black ones. Does anyone have recommendations for other stands that might work well with these speakers?

Thanks,
Ceeze
post #286 of 52361 Old 06-10-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc99 View Post

Hey what's up Doc99?

yeah, by the way, I was able to check out a pair of Energy C-5's and took a close look at the binding post's (which are similiar to C-1's, C-3's, C-7's, C-9's). I noticed they have the plastic shroud around the end-screw cap, and do [not] screw off. However, there is an [obvious] hole on the outside end of the end-screw cap, this is for a banana plug. So (as I mentioned previously) just hand-tighten the end-screw cap, then insert a banana plug through the outside hole.

Straight-forward!
post #287 of 52361 Old 06-10-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeze View Post

I'm looking for some speaker stands to go with my white Take 5.2 satellites. I'd like to get the stands from Energy, but I've only been able to find black ones. Does anyone have recommendations for other stands that might work well with these speakers?

yeah...........these speakers present somewhat of a challenge finding (after-market) stands that work, partly because of their un-usual, but beautiful, form- ie. they have a triangular-shaped base.

I would try to get the Energy stands as much as possible because they are custom designed for the Take series and exhibit the cross-sectional match of the speakers. I would check everywhere- do on-line search, also check Energy web-site dealer locator and contact the dealers (see if they can order). You can even contact Energy by e-mail, they will respond. Heck, get the black ones if you can't locate the silver (which is nice, by the way).

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/em...er%2Findex.php

Otherwise, I would wall-mount these speakers if your room configuration allows. The Take series are primarily designed for wall-mounting and have a very nice [simple] designed mounting bracket. Actually, I almost bought these speakers for this very reason (as well as for their incredible sound performance).

I've been using the new Energy C-200's as rear-surrounds together with Bello stands. They really look nice and perform well. However, after a few months I realized by wall-mounting my rears I saved a lot of precious (apartment) space, and I prefer the look mounted on the wall. Now I've purchased a pair of new RC-Mini's to replace the C-200's. The RC-Mini's are much smaller & lighter but produce a big sound, and serve better for wall-mounting (they have a nice built-in mounting bracket as well).

Also, here's a popular on-line dealer specializing in cabinets and stands. You can browse the many styles and types of speaker stands to see what's available.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Speake...unts-C6T1.html

Have fun!
post #288 of 52361 Old 06-11-2006, 11:02 AM

i just got a C-C3 to finish my front sounstage. it's definitely a really nice speaker, very full and rich sounding. i feel it actually doesn't voice match the C-3s as well as the C-C1 because of the different tweeter configuration, though. it's noticeable more in multi-channel music listening than HT, but it is slightly noticeable. fortunately the rest of the speaker makes up for it, or i would just keep the c-c1 and get rid of the 3.

i wonder how the new connoisseur centers sound in that regard, with the 1" tweeters like the C-C1? anyway (shameless plug) the C-C1 is still for sale if anyone is interested, just shoot me a pm or email. it's a nice speaker, i only wonder why energy didn't choose to keep that MTM configuration with the 1" tweeter, instead of the configuration of the c-c3 for the RC-LCR in the reference line. it seems like that would be the best of both worlds -- same size Ms and same size T.
post #289 of 52361 Old 06-11-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcycle View Post

i just got a C-C3
i wonder how the new connoisseur centers sound in that regard, with the 1" tweeters like the C-C1?.

Were you able to find the C-C3 new or used?

I'b be curious to hear C-C3 & RC-LCR comparisons. Although I think the configurations are two completely different speakers .
post #290 of 52361 Old 06-11-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Were you able to find the C-C3 new or used?

I'b be curious to hear C-C3 & RC-LCR comparisons. Although I think the configurations are two completely different speakers .

i got it used off ebay, 1 year old but in excellent shape (thanks for the heads up, Istari1 ). i had been looking for one for a while, so i was glad to have grabbed it.

actually now that i actually take a closer look at the specs, i see that all of them have the 1" dome tweeter. they look smaller than on the C-C1, but i guess they're the same. my ears must have been playing tricks on me b/c of the increased lower end.

it looks like the C-C3 and the RC-LCR are actually pretty close in configuration. they both have the tweeter and two midrange driver set up, with the two woofers on the sides. the RC-LCR uses the kevlar cone material, while the C-C3 woofer drivers are larger, 6.5" to 5.5". i'd guess the comparison would be roughly like for the rest of the RC line vs. connoisseurs: C series is good, but RC is a noticeable step up, etc. for a budget system though, i'd have to say these connoisseurs definitely are impressive!
post #291 of 52361 Old 06-11-2006, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am strongly considering purchasing a Veritas LCR with 2.3i L+R, however the 2.0Ci gives me pause based on what I have read about it. As an alternative I am thinking about a 2.2i - but I would have to lay it on its side because I don't have the space to mount it vertically without a lot of work.

I am curious as to what people think of the two alternatives - which would give the best sound? How big would the difference between the two be? If I really worked at it I might be able to find a way to mount the 2.2i vertically, however I might run into some TOWMBO problems with that.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #292 of 52361 Old 06-12-2006, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i see that all of them have the 1" dome tweeter. they look smaller than on the C-C1, but i guess they're the same. my ears must have been playing tricks on me b/c of the increased lower end.

yeah...........the previous Connoisseurs all have equal tweeters (just as the tweeters are equal for all the new RC's). Yes, the greater low-end capability of the C-C3, combined with the addition of the mid-range, would yield a potentially different effect on the overall sound- ie. there's more "woofage".

Quote:

it looks like the C-C3 and the RC-LCR are actually pretty close in configuration. they both have the tweeter and two midrange driver set up, with the two woofers on the sides. the RC-LCR uses the kevlar cone material, while the C-C3 woofer drivers are larger, 6.5" to 5.5". i'd guess the comparison would be roughly like for the rest of the RC line vs. connoisseurs: C series is good, but RC is a noticeable step up, etc. for a budget system though, i'd have to say these connoisseurs definitely are impressive!

the C-Series speakers [are] good, and the RC-Series are definitely a step up.
post #293 of 52361 Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am strongly considering purchasing a Veritas LCR with 2.3i L+R, however the 2.0Ci gives me pause based on what I have read about it. As an alternative I am thinking about a 2.2i - but I would have to lay it on its side because I don't have the space to mount it vertically without a lot of work.

I am curious as to what people think of the two alternatives - which would give the best sound? How big would the difference between the two be? If I really worked at it I might be able to find a way to mount the 2.2i vertically, however I might run into some TOWMBO problems with that.

I am being an inconoclast on this one, I gave up on Energy coming out with a decent Veritas center speaker so I am going with the an NHT Classic 3 Center . Energy's is too big for me and doesn't have the midrange driver.
post #294 of 52361 Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

Energy's is too big for me and doesn't have the midrange driver.

Intresting idea. I don't have a size problem because I built my own TV stand to accomodate large centers, but the lack of a midrange driver is pissing me off.

Most recently I've been thinking of buying a V2.2i and maybe experimenting with altering the driver alignment by modding the cabinet.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #295 of 52361 Old 06-15-2006, 06:50 PM

Does anyone have the CC-100 Center and the S8.3 Sub? What are your impressions of those speakers? Our local Energy dealer was telling me about them but doesn't have a show room, so I'm unable to listen to the speakers. Also what should I expect to pay for them?

Thanks in advance.
post #296 of 52361 Old 06-15-2006, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickorynceer View Post

Does anyone have the CC-100 Center and the S8.3 Sub? What are your impressions of those speakers?

yeah...............I can happily tell you I'm using a complete [new] C-Series and they are very nice speakers. Excellent build quality and sound for an unbelieveable price.

My system consists of-
Yamaha RX-V1600
C-300 fronts
C-C100 center
C-200 rears
S8.3 sub-woofer

Has worked very well for HT surround, very "explosive" sound for all types of material. Sub is really powerful. Audio is pretty good as well.

Are you planning on using a complete C-Series set-up? What is your configuration?

yeah..........the C-C100 retails for $249.00. I paid retail because they were still brand-new models. However, if you look around (do a search on-line) you will find good prices. Try AudioExcellence.com
post #297 of 52361 Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 AM

Thanks WestCoast.

I'm moving into a new house around the first of July and I'm looking for decent speakers for a 7.1 system in the living room. Due to size and wife constraints, I need a fairly small footprint Sub and in-wall / in-ceiling speakers. I recently purchased a Denon-2106 receiver and the same guy that sell's Energy in the area has Niles CM6PR's that I'm thinking of using for in-ceiling surrounds and distributed audio.

Appreciate the feedback.
post #298 of 52361 Old 06-16-2006, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Budget, room size? Judging your budget by the receiver you are going to have to live without sub 30 Hertz bass extension and output if you want small; but how small?.

Subwoofers are a good bet on the used market if you want to get better performance for the price; but still a good subwoofer costs money (Velodyne HGS, and Sunfire for relatively small ones with good extension and accuracy, but those will still cost $800 and $600 plus respectively used).
post #299 of 52361 Old 06-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know where I can get the MSRPs for Energy speakers? This kind of information shouldn't be so hard to find... (and no one is answering at API).
post #300 of 52361 Old 06-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I found the prices I needed at a dealer. :-)

Question, if I were to do a 7.1 setup using Reference Connoisseur, would it be a bad idea to mix the RC-R (bi/di-pole) on the sides with the RC-10 on the center rear? Or would four RC-10s be better?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page