Energy Owners Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #3211 of 52679 Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't use the spikes, use the rubber feet if it came with them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 52679 Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 PM

Great forum, great thread

I got advise for these speakers on this forum and I am happy to post the specs of my brand new 2 day old 7.2 setup

Energy Speakers
C-C100
C-C500 x 2
C-R100 x 4
S8.3 - x 2

Dags
post #3213 of 52679 Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't use the spikes, use the rubber feet if it came with them!

I'll have to agree with that statement. The spikes that come with the speakers do make them kind of unstable. However, I purchased some outrigger speaker stands
http://www.loudspeakerstands.net/Gallery.html and they are fantastic for my RC floorstanders. I bought them on sale, 100 bananas for a pair ( for both speakers ). Keep an eye out for a sale, they are worth it.

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #3214 of 52679 Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I know you are a super gear junkie, but that is just crazy!! I think you have a little redundancy in your setup, D
Might be time to sell one of those universal players...

I'm a real music "nut" mostly, I listen at least 2 hours a day on average, probably 4 to 6 hours on weekends quite often. Consequently, I'm finding it's nice to be able to "balance" the load between players. So I'll play two or three SACD disc's on one player, later I'll switch to CD's on my other player. I watch BD titles on one Denon, and SD-DVD's on the other Denon. These Denon players are so very good at what they do, however they do have failures. I like having the Oppo as a back-up
LL
post #3215 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamanbill View Post

Can I get some input from peeps with Energy towers and whether or not I should use the spikes with hardwood floors?

just use the rubber feet they work fine (that's what I use on my wood floors).
post #3216 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I'm a real music "nut" mostly, I listen at least 2 hours a day on average, probably 4 to 6 hours on weekends quite often. Consequently, I'm finding it's nice to be able to "balance" the load between players. So I'll play two or three SACD disc's on one player, later I'll switch to CD's on my other player. I watch BD titles on one Denon, and SD-DVD's on the other Denon. These Denon players are so very good at what they do, however they do have failures. I like having the Oppo as a back-up

Balance the load between the players?! Well I hope this wasn't serious cuz it is insane as a statement! lol As crazy as: "I stop my engine at red lights to save gaz and engine use" lollll

You wouldn't be an audiophile do you?! :-0 lol
post #3217 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses View Post

Hello all! I'm the proud new owner of a complete 7 speaker Energy RC series setup. A pair of RC-70's for mains, a RC-LCR for the center, and last but not least, two pairs of RC-10's for surrounds/rear surrounds. I'm excited for their arrival. (Which should be early next week.)

Anyway, I have a question in regards to "Breaking" them in. I've read a mixed bag of suggestions of how long, ect, ect. I was just going to run my Denon 3808 in 7 channel stereo to facilitate the breaking process. But, my question is how many hours should I break them in before I watch a movie or listen to music at reference levels? I've heard anywhere from 15 to 200!

Congrats for your new setup. I never thought that I would believe in break-in but after maybe 20 hours my RCs started to sound better and better. Bass was more extended and more profound, less bloated. Seemed like they were seized, too tight.
post #3218 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
Quote:

Well, bless you, WCD! Without people like you, where would cheap-asses like me turn to for reviews of fancy gear?

Cheers to that...

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3219 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

Balance the load between the players?! Well I hope this wasn't serious cuz it is insane as a statement! lol As crazy as: "I stop my engine at red lights to save gaz and engine use" lollll

That's funny stuff!

Quote:

You wouldn't be an audiophile do you?! :-0 lol

Well, the true litmus test for that question is how much his speaker cables cost, at least that's what I gather from reading the endless debates.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3220 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Balance the load between the players?

what I'm implying is that these more high-end (Denon) players get fairly warm, or hot, after consecutive hours of use, and, consequently, become "flakey" and behave wierd or fail- ie. skip, become hung-up (frozen), etc.,...sometimes I have to do a power re-boot. This is partly related to the Realta processing PCB (located on the left-side of the unit) which becomes very hot. They also contain fairly large torroid power-supplies which can become hot as well. So I limit the length of use on each player, and/or switch from one player to the other (yeah, I have to check into using additional external fans).

This behavior is even more pronounced with hot weather (last week it was 103 degrees in southern california), and my room interior becomes much warmer. If the weather is mild, or cool, these players remain more stable.

I've noticed the more simple (smaller) player models, like the Oppo, don't have as much problem this way.

I've had to ship my Denon player back to customer service twice now (only a year old), to have failures addressed. I've read on the DVD-3930CI thread that many other's have had to do the same thing. But most really like the sound-quality so they put up with potential failures.
post #3221 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 11:18 AM

That's funny. I remember my Mom constantly bugging my Dad to get rid of his gear, because it was so "hard" to operate, and always had reliability problems. Of course he refused to do so, because it sounded so damn good! It's funny what some of us will go through for that "perfect" sound. I know I've put up with some gear that was troublesome, but sounded great.
post #3222 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 AM

Quick update. This saga continues. Energy paid to have my speaker (12.3) replaced with a new one. The power LED went out on that one the 3d time it was used. It's now been a couple months without a power light. I got a questionable explanation from their support about how blue LEDs are new technology and fragile in a vibrating environment. I say questionable because my son has a set of 7 year old Logitech speakers for his computer that have blue-leds and have never failed in spite of going through many games and music at volumes that would match WWW III at times.

Energy says they have a replacement kit in the works but it requires some user work and gutting to put it together. This includes removing the woofer, the power light/volume control assembly and chipping out the LED (hot melt glued in), putting in the new assembly, and regluing, then put it back together. They would have a service center do this if the owner chooses.

By looking at the repair instructions, I have a guess about what the issue might be. The blue power LED is potted in a pool of hot melt glue. From what I have been able to find out, leds made with aluminum gallium arsenide (blue leds) are particularly heat sensitive. If this is so, could it be that the hot melt glue that is the issue? If so I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to pot it with an inert adhesive. Any thoughts? At this point I don't care if it is blue, but I want it to work well and for the life of the speaker. This is getting very old. Has anyone come up with a better solution?

Panasonic X700 R'cvr, Energy spks, and sub, Panny PT-AE8000U projector, Panny TC-L37DT30 tv
post #3223 of 52679 Old 05-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:

what I'm implying is that these more high-end (Denon) players get fairly warm, or hot, after consecutive hours of use, and, consequently, become "flakey" and behave wierd or fail- ie. skip, become hung-up (frozen), etc.,...sometimes I have to do a power re-boot. This is partly related to the Realta processing PCB (located on the left-side of the unit) which becomes very hot. They also contain fairly large torroid power-supplies which can become hot as well. So I limit the length of use on each player, and/or switch from one player to the other (yeah, I have to check into using additional external fans).

This behavior is even more pronounced with hot weather (last week it was 103 degrees in southern california), and my room interior becomes much warmer. If the weather is mild, or cool, these players remain more stable.

I've noticed the more simple (smaller) player models, like the Oppo, don't have as much problem this way.

I've had to ship my Denon player back to customer service twice now (only a year old), to have failures addressed. I've read on the DVD-3930CI thread that many other's have had to do the same thing. But most really like the sound-quality so they put up with potential failures.

That's what you got for your 1000$ player? 2 times to the tech!! Seems to me that they didn't designed well the player or you got a particularily (huh?) faulty unit. And that little bugger is standing there all this time, cold as ice for hours of operations without a glitch! :P

BTW, it seems like I'm bashing your system but I really respect it. Love your NAD gear, your speakers and this damn BDI Axis furniture that I'm so jealous of (discotinued because I would have them by now).
post #3224 of 52679 Old 05-25-2008, 09:04 AM

Hey guys I have the C-500 and C-C100. I'm wondering if the Rc-LCR would sonically match the C-500's? Or should I stick with what I have?
post #3225 of 52679 Old 05-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmtbr View Post

Hey guys I have the C-500 and C-C100. I'm wondering if the Rc-LCR would sonically match the C-500's? Or should I stick with what I have?

What's wrong with the C-C100?

Cuz upgrading to the RC-LCR is a good upgrade but then your fronts won't match and you'll want some towers to go along with it!
post #3226 of 52679 Old 05-25-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmtbr View Post

I would keep your matched C-Series front-surround as it is. Change to RC-Series only when you are able to purchase a complete front-surround set (or at least front left and right).
post #3227 of 52679 Old 05-25-2008, 03:21 PM

hi guys,

Does anyone know a good place to pick up a pair of ceiling brackets/mounts for the RC-R? I have no rear wall for my setup so for the rear surrounds i will need to have them on the roof and tilting down. My ceiling is 8' so i don't want them to hang too low.

Most of the ones I've seen around the net are meant for lighter cube-like speakers and the RC-R are pretty heavy.

I would like something like this but i'm not sure if this will fit as it may need to drop down a bit more to fit the RC-R.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/fullmetalceilingbracket.html

Note: I am in Canada so they must ship here!
post #3228 of 52679 Old 05-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks everyone for their help...I just purchased my rc-30 today.....just gotta break them in. Waiting for the rc-lcr to go on sale, gotta go with the phantom speaker for now. Anybody have any idea what is a good price for the rc-lcr in Canada? Any recommendations for a good hdmi receiver in the $400-700 range....I was thinking about the Yamaha 663 but I'd prefer 3 hdmi inputs.
post #3229 of 52679 Old 05-25-2008, 06:48 PM

Liked: 26
online special today for the yammy htr-6180 = rx-v863
was 719$ CDN with free energy ceiling speakers!
post #3230 of 52679 Old 05-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Was thinking of picking the RC-30 also, anyone compare it to the Klipsch RF-52/62/82? I am trying to figure which brand provides better value. Tough to compare side by side as not in the same stores.

I am trying to choose between the RC-LCR and RC-30 vs the Klipsch RC-52 and RF-52/62. The prices for the Klipsch speakers in Canada is crazy compared to US options of Vanns/JR/etc.

Any advice one way or the other would be great.
post #3231 of 52679 Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTee View Post

Was thinking of picking the RC-30 also, anyone compare it to the Klipsch RF-52/62/82? I am trying to figure which brand provides better value

I'd rather have the Energy RC-Series (although I've never compared them to the Klipsch).
post #3232 of 52679 Old 05-26-2008, 06:03 AM

I picked up the rosenut rc-30 for $700 at futureshop, a good price from what I gathered from this forum and checking prices on the net. Futeureshop will also carry the klipsch reference series soon, so you can compare them.
post #3233 of 52679 Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcredit View Post

Thanks everyone for their help...I just purchased my rc-30 today.....just gotta break them in. Waiting for the rc-lcr to go on sale, gotta go with the phantom speaker for now. Anybody have any idea what is a good price for the rc-lcr in Canada? Any recommendations for a good hdmi receiver in the $400-700 range....I was thinking about the Yamaha 663 but I'd prefer 3 hdmi inputs.

$500 or so would be a good price to get the RC-LCR for, in Canada. That's $250 off the retail price. I've only seen it that low from F/S once though. It's a great speaker and well worth the money IMO. Maybe on Canada Day they'll have a big sale like they did last year and you can get it at or near that price!

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #3234 of 52679 Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

$500 or so would be a good price to get the RC-LCR for, in Canada. That's $250 off the retail price. I've only seen it that low from F/S once though. It's a great speaker and well worth the money IMO. Maybe on Canada Day they'll have a big sale like they did last year and you can get it at or near that price!

Thanks for the reply...I was hoping that it would come on sale at half price, like the floor standing speakers...for $500, I hope it improves my HT setup significantly.
post #3235 of 52679 Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedags View Post

Great forum, great thread

I got advise for these speakers on this forum and I am happy to post the specs of my brand new 2 day old 7.2 setup

Energy Speakers
C-C100
C-C500 x 2
C-R100 x 4
S8.3 - x 2

Dags

I just purchased a similiar setup without the bi-pole speakers (may add them later if I upgrade to 7.1).

I wonder if Energy is going to update this line of speakers soon because I got a great deal and was told they were open box because they would be discontinued, but the guy may not have known what he was talking about.

I got:
C-C100
C-C500 x 2
C-100 x 2

Running with my old modded sony subwoofer (it actually doesn't sound half bad and blends in fairly nicely).

All for $700. I can't believe what a steal it was. The C-C100 and C-C500 were sold as open box. I talked him down to those prices, they were asking more. I love the sound so far. I was running an old school college speakers dcm setup before which will be donated to the old man who currently has an onkyo htib. These sound much more detailed and are great with my old yamaha rx-v620 receiver. I compared these to the paradigm monitor 7s and I have to say I think the c-500 stacked up nicely and I got all 5 speakers for less than a pair of monitor 7s would have cost me.

Now, any suggestions on a new receiver? I'm currently leaning towards onkyo 606, but am interested in the new pioneer and denons. I would buy another yamaha in a heartbeat if only the 663 had more than 2 hdmi inputs. I still love my old rx-v620 but I want to finally upgrade to hdmi and hd sound formats.
post #3236 of 52679 Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM

I'm planning on a new 52" LCD, along with a Sony 5300ES receiver and: 2 Energy Take TWR's (LF & RF), 1 Energy Take FPS (FC) and 2 Take LCR's (L&R rear surrounds).

The fronts will all be wall mounted around the 52" LCD. Fronts are all black to match the piano-black on the 52" LCD & the LCR surrounds are white.

The rears have to go on the ceiling facing in aligned with the "viewing" couch (couch is against the back wall so there is nowhere to go behind them).

It's a long rectangular wall with the tv on the long wall.

The room is 13 x 18 x 8ft ceiling.

I'm also getting a Velodyne mini-vee subwoofer.

Space (obviously) is at a premium - extreme premium - since this is a 2BR 1000sf condo. We mostly watch regular tv, movies, nintendo Wii, and occasionally music. Sourcewise I have cd,dvd, blu-ray dvd, turntable, Tivo, VCR, Wii, Playstation, iPods, & AppleTV.

Any thoughts?

PS: A friend suggests I cancel the Energy's and go with KEF - I haven't heard the KEF but I like the Energy.

Circular reference [sir-ku-ler ref-rents]: see reference, circular
post #3237 of 52679 Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Dave View Post

That's funny. I remember my Mom constantly bugging my Dad to get rid of his gear, because it was so "hard" to operate, and always had reliability problems. Of course he refused to do so, because it sounded so damn good! It's funny what some of us will go through for that "perfect" sound. I know I've put up with some gear that was troublesome, but sounded great.

Time for a little intellectual honesty here while the emotional side of me is in check (at least until my next tweak). These two studies bear looking at The Hawthorne Effect and the Placebo Effect. The fact that we are posting here means we are probably experiencing these effects to some degree every time we move a speaker, replace a component, tweak the room acoustics etc. I know it, but it is still fun.
post #3238 of 52679 Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 PM

That is the exact component I was thinking of, especially with the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcredit View Post

I picked up the rosenut rc-30 for $700 at futureshop, a good price from what I gathered from this forum and checking prices on the net. Futeureshop will also carry the klipsch reference series soon, so you can compare them.

post #3239 of 52679 Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 PM

I am looking for some opinions on RC30 vs C500...
post #3240 of 52679 Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeach View Post

I'm planning on a new 52" LCD, along with a Sony 5300ES receiver and: 2 Energy Take TWR's (LF & RF), 1 Energy Take FPS (FC) and 2 Take LCR's (L&R rear surrounds).

The fronts will all be wall mounted around the 52" LCD. Fronts are all black to match the piano-black on the 52" LCD & the LCR surrounds are white.

The rears have to go on the ceiling facing in aligned with the "viewing" couch (couch is against the back wall so there is nowhere to go behind them).

It's a long rectangular wall with the tv on the long wall.

The room is 13 x 18 x 8ft ceiling.

I'm also getting a Velodyne mini-vee subwoofer.

Space (obviously) is at a premium - extreme premium

I think that would be quite fine. I'd suggest the Minivee 10 as the minimum sub for that room. If you heard this system and you like, then that's what matters. Sound wise, the Takes are a good entry level system and will suit your needs

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page