post #35791 of 52293 Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

V Mini's would be the easiest to wall mount since they come with brackets.

V5.1 or RC-10s would sound the best, way better than the V mini.

Reference Connoisseur RC-10's and RC-10's are the same thing. That's what the RC stands for.

Energy makes a wall mount for the RC-10, don't know if that fits with the newer V5.1.

thanks for your input. Yeah I had the RC-Mini's years back when they were first released (have since sold them), they included a very cool wall mount. I believe this is the same mechanical design (even the cabinet) which is used on the Veritas V-Mini. It's tempting to get these just for convenience, but I would prefer the range of the RC-10's or maybe the V-5.1's, both models seem to be selling very cheap right now (even cheaper, in some cases, than the V-Mini's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Doesn't look like the V5.1 has a hole in the back for the macromount bracket. So you'd have to buy a different type wall mount.

something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM-40...5889954&sr=8-2

That one would also work on the RC-10 since it is side clamping.

yeah, I can't verify whether the V-5.1 has mounting provisions or not? However that clamp mount looks very cool, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35792 of 52293 Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post

I'm going to start by admitting that I ordered and received the Adele concert bluray before Xmas. I just finished watching it and must say my rc's did a fantastic job. Or should I say performance. Instruments clearly distinct and separated, voices liquid smooth and crystal clear. Those of you who are fans of her work really should check out her performance. At the price I paid, its an absolute steal. This concert,3 others in particular, and a few bluray movies in my mind and household justify why I went to 11.2. Even with the camera focusing a little too much on the audience, I still felt like I was sitting front row. I cranked up the volume on some personal faves and just lost myself in rc bliss. I guess I love my rc's. .

Which concert bluray is it? (for Adele)

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #35793 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

Which concert bluray is it? (for Adele)

this one http://images3.static-bluray.com/mov...2356_large.jpg

post #35794 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 AM

Liked: 10
This has probably been mentioned before but all you guys with the new Energy setups should by all means grab this to put your system to good use. It should make your fancy new Energy setups really shine. Sounds fantastic on my little ole JBL system. So it should really pack a wallop with the Energy's. IMHO if you have a great Energy setup this is a must have to showcase it.
post #35795 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

The new V series is very similiar to the rc in sound. See the link at the bottom of my post. The nice thing is you can get them at future shop and take them for a test drive. The RC rosenut is different then the V series but still very nice.

Thanks!

Didn't even notice your sig until you mentioned it. Great comparison, much appreciated.

Its a shame you weren't able to have them both at the same time nor take some SPL measurements.

On the topic of comparisons, I picked up a pair of the PSB Image T6 towers the other day from Bay Bloor Radio (similar special, $1000/pair) and can advise that while they're very good speakers, I prefer the Energy's more. The PSB's perform very well and were able to maintain they're sound a lot longer when off-axis compared to the Energy's. They also seem to be a little more direct (may be the wrong word to use), like the sound is more at the fore front when compared to the Energy's. Although, the PSB's tweeter sounded a little bit high harsh to me which made me speculate that they may have a spike on the high end.

Since I didn't want to stop there, I took some measurements use the DVE disc and can advise that the Energy's have a much flatter frequency response compared to the PSB's. What I perceived as a harsh tweeter or spike in the high end, turned out to be false as its pretty flat from 500hz and on. What I was hearing was a dip in the mid-range. It seems to take a significant dive from the 100-300hz range, which would explain what I was hearing. They're also a little heavy on bass (a spike could be seen in the 60-90hz range) but nothing that bothered me. If anything, I would chalk that low end spike to my placement since they're pretty close to the walls. In any case, the Energy's in the same placement didn't have the same problem, despite being rear ported.

All in all, I'm not a scientist nor did I de-materialize to ensure I didn't interfere with any of the room acoustics. I only ensured to take my measurements the exact same way when listening to each speaker, which I think is the most important factor to consider (IMO anyways). My room is also far from ideal with not being a closed room (there's openings on both ends of the room) plus a little bulkhead when entering from one of the sides. I also have a ton of reflective surfaces since there's no rug or drapes on my windows yet (we just moved into a new house). I say all this just to emphasize that YMMV greatly and I am in no way am speaking ill of the PSB's. I might actually like them better in a more adequate room or paired up with some room correction (I have an old receiver that doesn't support squat). But in this room, with this setup, the Energy's performed more admirably.

The most challenging aspect now is what to do with the RC-70s. I love the speakers but their appearance does them no justice, as well as I'm SOL for a matching centre. The PSB's are in Dark Cherry so I'm quite certain I'll keep those. I'm thinking of returning the RC-70s and keeping my eyes open on the 6.3s going on special. I just wish I could do a direct comparison with the RC-70s and 6.3s to validate CalgaryCowboy's findings (not doubting you CalgaryCowboy, but it would silence any doubt / tricks my mind would play on me).
post #35796 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 13
Looks like the $1599 VSW10 bundle is gone. Not much incentive to get the bundle over the individual prices now...
post #35797 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM

I'm looking at setting up a 7.2 speaker arrangement with Energy RC's as follows:

My plan is:

Front Left & Right Speakers: RC70
Center Channel Speaker: RCLCR
Subwoofers: VSW10 x 2
Surround Left & Right Speakers: RC10
Surround Back Left & Right Speakers: RC10

Is this the most optimal choice of speakers? Or would I be better off using another pair of RC70's for the back rather than going with all RC10's?
post #35798 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 AM

I've jumped into the energy fray.

I purchased RC-10s and a RC-LCR on clearance from Vanns. These are the first speakers i've ever purchased. I was within days of buying a bose set up from costco when i did a bit of research. I then was about to buy the take 5 classic for my first surround sound experience, a few of you suggested the rc-10s to start and build a 5.1 system over time.

I feel good about the RC-10s choice. I was not really planning on getting the lcr as i was contemplating getting a smaller surround sound set to match the rc-10s. The lcr looks really massive for what i may need, but i'll give it shot. Now on to the subwoofer forum to research some subs for my set up. I'll post pics once i get the rc order from Vanns.

-George
post #35799 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Get a new receiver.

That Marantz is a beast but it is woefully out of date right now, a modern mid-level receiver with HDMI switching, more flexible bass management and good room correction DSP will sound better than an older "flagship" in the vast majority of situations.... yours being one.

Any recommendations? I have a small room, 5.1 requirement, and would rather leave networking to an external box of some kind. According to my sub manual,the LFE input is not subject to the low pass filter, but all other inputs are, so the receiver would have to be able to deal with that. Is that likely to work?

Thanks
post #35800 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grxz View Post

I'm looking at setting up a 7.2 speaker arrangement with Energy RC's as follows:

My plan is:

Front Left & Right Speakers: RC70
Center Channel Speaker: RCLCR
Subwoofers: VSW10 x 2
Surround Left & Right Speakers: RC10
Surround Back Left & Right Speakers: RC10

Is this the most optimal choice of speakers? Or would I be better off using another pair of RC70's for the back rather than going with all RC10's?

That's a great setup. Unless you're a bass head or have a huge room, your current setup will rock. Having said that, I did run 4 towers for a while (rc-70's $ rc-50's) and loved it. If you do end up getting another pair of rc-70's, I would put them on the sides (surrounds) not the rear.

post #35801 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcastro3d View Post

I purchased RC-10s and a RC-LCR on clearance from Vanns. These are the first speakers i've ever purchased. I was within days of buying a bose set up from costco when i did a bit of research. I then was about to buy the take 5 classic for my first surround sound experience, a few of you suggested the rc-10s to start and build a 5.1 system over time.

I feel good about the RC-10s choice. I was not really planning on getting the lcr as i was contemplating getting a smaller surround sound set to match the rc-10s. The lcr looks really massive for what i may need, but i'll give it shot. Now on to the subwoofer forum to research some subs for my set up. I'll post pics once i get the rc order from Vanns.

-George

You should share the awesome mockup you created to show how you intend to setup your RC-10s and RC-LCR: http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost....2&postcount=46

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #35802 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM

haha, thx Cel. It'll be interesting to see how it actually turns out. I'll do a side by side comparison with the actual set up once the speakers come in

Thx,
George
post #35803 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I feel good about the RC-10s choice. I was not really planning on getting the lcr as i was contemplating getting a smaller surround sound set to match the rc-10s. The lcr looks really massive for what i may need, but i'll give it shot. Now on to the subwoofer forum to research some subs for my set up

well you made an excellent choice for a first set of speakers, seriously. And the LCR is one of the best products of it's kind on the market, a lot of people are very naive in regards to how well this center speaker is designed.
post #35804 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Is RC-LCR perfect centre for RC-70? Would i be able to drive these spks without external amp with Yamaha a2000??
post #35805 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannzz View Post

Is RC-LCR perfect centre for RC-70? Would i be able to drive these spks without external amp with Yamaha a2000??

Yes and yes.

post #35806 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

That is rediculous... I got 4 Take LCRs for $300 plus shipping from them...using them all as surrounds.

I have no problems with mine, but I did compliment them with a $1400 Monitor Audio sealed sub...fills them out nicely, crossed at about 120 if I recall correctly. But I do have them angled properly to LP, although they are a little off-axis on the (upper) vertical.

And now, Buy.com has the same package for $800 shipped.

Click Here
post #35807 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Hi all! I've been lurking this topic forever and finally have the time and $ to get in the game!

After reading gcastro3d's thread and the great advice there (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1384224), I find that I am in almost the same boat. I have been looking at the Take 5's and the Micro's for a while now, but am now considering the RC-10's for a 2.1 setup instead. I know many of you would definitely support the 2.1 as a basis for future upgrades. Here are my thoughts:

Attachment 233386 Attachment 233387

My "living room" space is basically 11' x 13', but open to the dining room and kitchen. We currently have NO speakers or receiver set up. At first, I thought the Takes/Micros would be best since it is a small space and I could actually fit the speakers in. In looking at a RC-10 2.1 system (and possibly adding the RC-LCR), I am in a quandary . My new 55" tv will cover the hole where the old tv is now. I will install shelves in the recessed area to the left of the fireplace for the av equipment, left speaker, etc. But there is no place for an RC-10 on the right; there is not adequate room on the wine rack or wall at a proper height. And the mantel is only 3.5" deep, so the RC-LCR won't fit.

I have a budget of around $500 and will not likely be upgrading speakers while in this space (probably not until we move to a house which is in the unknown future). I was gifted an almost new Denon AVR-590 that I will use temporarily until I possibly upgrade to a 3D capable receiver. I can't do towers because I have a rambunctious 21 month old (and little space)!

So here are my biggest questions:

1. Will the Micros (with a good sub) fill my 11' x 13' space well enough? I can envision properly mounting and placing these speakers with no problems because of their size. This seems the best/cheapest way to get 5.1 in this space without breaking the bank. (We will be upgrading from NO speakers/receiver at this point. )

2. Is an RC-10 2.1 setup still a better setup for sound in this space? (I'd love to purchase speakers that I'll want to keep down the road. It seems these would fit the bill, but would I be getting the best bang for my buck?)

3. If the RC-10 setup is preferred, what are some suggestions for placement?
- Should I still consider the RC-LCR even if there's no easy place to put it?
- Could I mix smaller Energy speakers in to complete the 5.1/7.1 (such as the RC-Micro 5 pack)?

4. Are there other setups that I haven't mentioned that might be a much better fit?

(I'm checking Craigslist consistently, but rarely find any Energy speakers that will work. Not sure I trust eBay on my first speakers purchase.)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice! (These forums are BAD news for those itching to buy! )
LL
LL
post #35808 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Just wanted to throw out a big THANK YOU to the guys on here that helped me (in this thread) with my AVR & speakers...Karn, Hank Mardukous, jdsmoothie, & batpig. I have my Denon AVR-2112CI & Take Classic 5.1 speakers all set up. I've run Audyssey a couple of times. It all sounds really really good!! Much better than the non-BD Sony HTIB it replaced.

Again..thanks for the help and advice guys!!
Billy
post #35809 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

-George

Glad to see you jumped on those RCs! You got them at pretty good prices. I'm not sure what Vann's return policy is, but even if you have to pay for return shipping, it'd be worth giving the LCR a try. Can't wait to see the pics! Welcome to the Energy club!
post #35810 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What is considered here on this Forum the better sounding speaker : RC 10 or RC LCR ?? or the Veritas Bookshelf's ??

Thanks.
post #35811 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 202
LCR...aka...the RC "mini tower".
post #35812 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

What is considered here on this Forum the better sounding speaker : RC 10 or RC LCR ?? or the Veritas Bookshelf's ??

Thanks.

Definitely the LCR.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #35813 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Definitely the LCR.

Eh? Veritas would be superior.

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #35814 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 PM

All,
Two questions:

1 Do you guys think I have enough sound treatment? If not, what other suggestion do you have? PS: I already has a big rug on the floor.

2 I want to finish my front wall in order to add more character and better sound treatment into my HT room. I was temporary painted my front wall with dark grey so that my wife could stop the nagging
Now I want to finish it properly so I am looking for suggestions. I was planning to put some culture stone or ceramics but open to all other suggestions that may help the sound acoustic and also looks good.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #35815 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
I would ask in the HT custom build threads, we may know a lot about Energy speakers here but room acoustics are a different ballgame. I would want the most expert consultation I can get (for free on the internet).

My suggestion: Considering the investment you are making, have you thought about spending a bit on a good mic so you can actually measure the room? From what I understand, anything beyond the basics of treating first-reflection points and perhaps some bass traps in the corners is essentially shooting in the dark. You can easily overtreat the room and cause more harm than good if you just keep adding panels randomly. So, I guess if you really want to get it right, I'd head over to a forum where more acoustics / HT build experts hang out, and also invest in learning about your room's acoustics.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #35816 of 52293 Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:

If you're going to do mostly gaming and sports I'd stick with a solid 5.1 system. If you play any shooters or games like that you'll want a great frontstage but also decent surrounds. If you're truly moving out this summer, I'd say don't worry about "overpowering" the room since you don't know how big the next room will be that you put these speakers in.

Have you heard any of the Energy speakers before? If not, I recommend you visit a Best Buy with a Magnolia store and hear the more recent CF towers and CB bookshelf speakers. Whether or not you like those will help determine what kind of sound you like. Reason I recommend this is some really like the sound that they offer, even though they're more bright than other speakers Energy has made in the recent and distant past.

With gaming and HT use (well, sports too, but a good stereo set does well with that), I'd say try the brighter C-series speakers first. I had the CF-70s as fronts, CF-30s as surrounds, and CC-10 center and really enjoyed that setup for video games. Especially shooters and the like.

Quote:

just to be clear, does "speakers" include the subwoofer?

assuming $600-800 includes the subwoofer budget, you might want to consider going without a sub for now in that small room and saving up for the subwoofer when you move to the house. The thing is, "getting it right the first time" could easily mean $300-400 on the subwoofer, and that's half your budget. So you could get, say, a C-series 5.0 setup and then add a nasty subwoofer when you move in a year.

an alternate option is to just get the nicest 2.1 setup you can afford right now (which will be plenty for a small room) and save up and add center + surrounds in the house. For example, you could snag this Emotiva Ultra Sub12 for $329 shipped right now, and then get two front speakers to go with it (and maybe a center too if you can afford it). Add a pair of RC-10 for $299 shipped from Vanns and that would blow up your room for $630 to your door. If you really want a center you can prob find an RC-Mini center on ebay for $100-150.

a third option since your room is really small is to snag the RC-Mico setup for $330 (sale info posted a bit back), enjoy them for now, and then save your money for a new L/C/R front end when you move, at which point you can convert the Micros to surrounds and/or heights in a 7.1 setup.

a lot depends on how much more budget room you anticipate having in the future, and what your long terms goals are. The "critical audiophile" goes with the best 2.1 system you can afford now and worries about the rest later.... the "casual" listener who just wants to feel fun surround sound with movies and games might be happier with a lower end 5ch setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

I am really surprised there hasn't been more talk about this bundle that calgary mentioned. That is something we haven't seen in a year. If one were to shoot the moon, this is it. I am curious as to whether they would offer a discount off of the $1600 by taking the subwoofer out of the mix. Say maybe $1400 for the 5.0 setup of 1 pair of RC-70's, 1 RC-LCR, and 1 pair of RC-10's. If so wow. If not...still...wow. That seems like a great sub anyways. I wonder how much more it would bump the bundle up to add another V-10 for a 5.2 setup?

Naza, it's hard to say what would work best for you. You could end up with a larger room with a house. Either way, the RC's at Vanns are priced really well these days and I think you should either get 2 pairs of RC-10's and an RC-LCR or that bundle deal cowboy mentioned (and if you don't need the sub maybe they could knock off a couple hundred). If you went with the bookshelfs you could add towers later if you like, for a 7.1.

But mainly I think you should concentrate on getting the best 3.0 you can get now. You could go RC towers and a RC-LCR, going above your budget. Or RC-10's and RC-LCR for $600 (heck give them a call, maybe they could knock a little off of that...they usually have very helpful sales associates).

(If you have room you could just make a RC-10 a center channel...OR you could do three RC-LCR's across the front. Those things are like mini tower speakers, seriously.

I bet Vanns could offer some special deal on a 5.0 setup of 3 RC-LCR's and a pair RC-10's. You don't really see that setup too much, but I think it would be a really, really special setup. I wonder what they could offer for that? I bet they could do $1100 even. Shew, that would be incredible.)

Edit-did not even see the guys above me respond until I clicked submit

Thanks for the response guys! I went to BB, but they did not have any energy speakers! I think I'm going with 2 bookshelfs, a sub for now and maybe a center and will be adding the towers later on.

I think that is my best option for now that I'm still at my apt.

Thanks for taking time to respond, it's much appreciated.
post #35817 of 52293 Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Eh? Veritas would be superior.

I have not heard the v5.1 but they would have to be much better than the RC-10s to beat out the RC-LCR

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #35818 of 52293 Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:

I would ask in the HT custom build threads, we may know a lot about Energy speakers here but room acoustics are a different ballgame. I would want the most expert consultation I can get (for free on the internet).

My suggestion: Considering the investment you are making, have you thought about spending a bit on a good mic so you can actually measure the room? From what I understand, anything beyond the basics of treating first-reflection points and perhaps some bass traps in the corners is essentially shooting in the dark. You can easily overtreat the room and cause more harm than good if you just keep adding panels randomly. So, I guess if you really want to get it right, I'd head over to a forum where more acoustics / HT build experts hang out, and also invest in learning about your room's acoustics.

Thanks Batpig!
Are you talking a good mic for audyssey measurement? I never thought of any mic measurement because my UMC doesn't has audyssey!! The EMQ SW that come with UMC doesn't work very well either. I did read info from the HT build forum but I can only understand the basic. I thought I ask the energy owners here 1st because lots of them own RC70 and some of them should have their room treated. Anyway, I will head over the other forum for more advices. I still welcome any suggestions on what to use to cover my front wall and I actually prefer aesthetic over acoustic on that wall.
post #35819 of 52293 Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

I have not heard the v5.1 but they would have to be much better than the RC-10s to beat out the RC-LCR

Yeah, I assumed the OP was talking about the v5.1's, but he didn't specify!
post #35820 of 52293 Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyh1026 View Post

Just wanted to throw out a big THANK YOU to the guys on here that helped me (in this thread) with my AVR & speakers...Karn, Hank Mardukous, jdsmoothie, & batpig. I have my Denon AVR-2112CI & Take Classic 5.1 speakers all set up. I've run Audyssey a couple of times. It all sounds really really good!! Much better than the non-BD Sony HTIB it replaced.

Again..thanks for the help and advice guys!!
Billy

You're welcome, glad I could help and it's good to hear you are enjoying your system!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page