Energy Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #361 of 52320 Old 07-16-2006, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I somehow contracted upgradeitis over the weekend....now an energy owner.

I bought some leftover c-3s and a c-c1 at crazy clearance prices to compare to my Athena as-b2s which I have as fronts and center - the prices were too good to pass up, I wasn't displeased with the athenas. All I can say is the c-3s are a more balanced speaker, with a nicer tweeter, and the c-c1 is actually quite good as well. They are however, less efficient then the athenas, or atleast they certainly sound that way. The as-b2s have some harshness issues, but otherwise I think they hold up pretty well considering the msrp differential.

I expected the c-c1 to be bad after reading some posts on the superiority of the c-c3, but I am more then satisfied (again the tweeter is nice). I briefly compared the c-c1 to the c-c3 in store and didn't notice a big difference (the c-c1 sounded much better then the athena as-c1 center I hated and had to get rid of). Maybe the c-c3 is much better then the c-c1, but I would argue the c-c1 is still a pretty good speaker. My friend bought the rest of the c series energy speakers they had, so I could only get the c-c1 anyway.

I will be keeping athena as-r1s and as-b1s as surrounds and rears, as I don't see much point in upgrading those, and they seem to work fine together. Now I have an extra 2 pairs of athena as-b2s to do something with?!?!?

Home Theater on a Tiny Budget....
Photo Gallery - I'll finish it eventually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 52320 Old 07-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

I am not surprised. My roommate had some Athenas and we and we tried out the C series and they were smoother, imaged better, just everything improved.
We then tried the RC series and well now the Athenas have to go as soon as possible. I will piece together the RC series as the budget allows. Next upgrade will be to see if separates make a difference.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #363 of 52320 Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetman View Post

I expected the c-c1 to be bad after reading some posts on the superiority of the c-c3, but I am more then satisfied (again the tweeter is nice). I briefly compared the c-c1 to the c-c3 in store and didn't notice a big difference (the c-c1 sounded much better then the athena as-c1 center I hated and had to get rid of). Maybe the c-c3 is much better then the c-c1, but I would argue the c-c1 is still a pretty good speaker.

i felt the same way about the c-c1, it is definitely a pretty good speaker. the c-c3 is a bit "fuller" sounding though, there's no denying that. the difference in real world use seems to be mostly when listening to dolby digital material where the dialog comes primarily through the center, and multi channel music, where the sound across the front is fuller and more seamless. for the money i almost kept the c-c1 (picked up a c-c3 after getting the c-c1), but since i am pretty happy with my budget c-3 setup right now with no plans to upgrade to RC or veritas for a while, i figured i would keep the c-c3 for just that extra little bit of "oomph."

does energy even *make* a bad speaker?

p.s. i've had pretty good luck selling stuff on audiogon.
post #364 of 52320 Old 07-16-2006, 07:43 PM

i've listened to the very inexpensive C-100's and c-300's, the c-series under the RC stuff and it's not very good.. i guess for the money it's not too bad but it's a HUGE difference from the RC stuff. that would be the only energy speakers i don't like.. I think the Act sats and the take stuff is a good deal. Images very well.
post #365 of 52320 Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGL_BrSH View Post

i've listened to the very inexpensive C-100's and c-300's, the c-series under the RC stuff and it's not very good.. i guess for the money it's not too bad but it's a HUGE difference from the RC stuff.

yeah...........I have a [new] C-Series set-up- ie. C-300's, C-C150, C-200's. They sound pretty decent, especially for the price. I thought they were slightly "dull" on the hi-end, although, exhibit beautiful smooth sounding bass. Definitely great for home theater set-up. At first I used a Yamaha RX-V2600 they sounded "okay". Later, got a Outlaw 7125 amp (125W X 7), they sound even better.

However, my other system (listed above), uses RC-Series. What a difference!
post #366 of 52320 Old 07-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I really wish Energy would release another bookshelf speaker utilizing the same woofer as in the RC-50 and RC-70 to add some extra bass for larger rooms.

I was thinking the same thing. A larger monitor, witht the 6 1/2 driver. Anyways....I am thinking of changing over from my C-3s to the RC-10. Has anyone compared the 2. IS the RC-10 considered a step up?
post #367 of 52320 Old 07-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

It's a siginificant step up. Better sound, imaging everything. You will listen to all your music again.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #368 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

I have just recently discovered some of the amazing speakers that we have here in Canada. I just set up some Athena B1's and a AS-C1 center channel and I am blown away at the performance I am getting out of these EXTREMELY inexpensive speakers. The detail and soundstage are fantastic.

Now I want to check out some Energy stuff with all the good buzz I have been hearing. I noticed a lot of the old Connoisseur line is well regarded and I see some C-3's floating around every now and then. I was wondering if they live up to the hype in the review from Soundstage.

I paid less than $100 US for my B1's and I could probably find the C-3's for $200. Does anyone think they are worth double the price? I have a small room (12x18) and I will be using them for fronts--5.1 movies and 2-channel music. I won't bother if its just going to be a subtle incremental improvement.
post #369 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Absolutely worth it! I have had many sub $1000 speakers in my room, and the Energy C-3's are still there. What I really like about them also is that they are so open sounding. They sound almost as good standing next to them as they do sitting in front of them. There has been a new pair on EBAY recently for around $200. A steal.
I am about ready to upgrade to either the RC line or maybe the Veritas, but it will be hard to let these go.
post #370 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Hey all. I have a pair of Energy RC-10's, love em, anyone suggest a good pair of stands to use with them? Me thinks they need to be 36" or so...thanks

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #371 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Another Question? Anyone own a pair of Energy C-4's? Little on the web about them. C-3 seems to be a winner....I have a lead on a pair of these for 200. Might just pick them up anyways......thanks

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #372 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

The C-4s got good reviews on Audioreview. Seems like they were a small floorstander. I think they retailed new for around $900, so I would grab them!
BTW....what color did you getyour RC-10s in. I am debating between the cherry or rosewood?
post #373 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

The Rosenut I believe it is called.....grab those, beautiful finish, photos don't do it justice, really nice....I get comments all the time.....

post #374 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Just grabbed some C-3's off of ebay for $189.99 which seems like a good deal. I dont usually like to blind buy but these sound like a sure thing.

I am wondering how well they will blend with my Athena AS-C1 center channel and micra rear satellites. Even if they are not "timbre-matched", they can only improve on what I have, right?
post #375 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcel View Post

Another Question? Anyone own a pair of Energy C-4's? Little on the web about them. C-3 seems to be a winner....I have a lead on a pair of these for 200. Might just pick them up anyways......thanks

The C-4's come from the original Connoisseur line-up alongside the older C-2's, C-6's, and C-8's. I bought four C-2's back in 1998 from a dealer up in Canada who was intimate with Energy products. I've talked to him on occasion since then and he has assured me to hold on to my C-2's as they were a step above the successor C-3's. The cabinet finish is certainly nicer (high gloss piano black vs. black ash), and they were all made in Canada. At the time, he really touted the C-2's and C-6's, telling me the 6" drivers were smoother than the 8" drivers in the C-4's and C-8's. I never listened to the C-8's, but the C-4's did seem a bit boomy for me. The C-6's were wonderful, but I didn't want floorstanders and so opted for the C-2's.

I'm wondering how the new RC line-up stacks up with the original Connoisseur series...

Oh, and back to your question, $200 for a pair of C-4's seems like a great buy assuming they're in excellent condition.
post #376 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 PM

I'd try to find a matching energy C-C1, C-C3 or a single C3 bookshelf for center if I were you. The center channel is VERY important if you watch movies + TV. Sure, the C3s are good for 2 ch music, but you'll probably much prefer them over your Athena center and it will drive you crazy??? You could even go without a center channel. Atleast try a B1 as a center channel compared to the as-c1 if you can accomodate. You should be able to find a C-C1 though; as C-C3s are more rare and it seems more desirable; the C-C1 is still much better then the athena center IMHO.

If it makes you feel better, I bought the C3s and a C-C1 essentially blind even though I could have listened to them to check, but I have read enough on them to know they are just plain better. Got them home, turns out they are. I essentially paid the same for the 3 energys as for 2 pairs of athena B2s even though I got them 1/2 price; so it was a no brainer for me. the b2s and b1s are still great speakers for the price though.

BTW: even though I thought the later energy connoiseur series speakers were made in china, my C3s and C-C1 are clearly labeled as manufactured and designed in canada.

Home Theater on a Tiny Budget....
Photo Gallery - I'll finish it eventually
post #377 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey all. I have a pair of Energy RC-10's, love em, anyone suggest a good pair of stands to use with them? Me thinks they need to be 36" or so...thanks

yeah, I've been using a pair of Bello stands for my C-200's (about equivalent in size to RC-10's). These are premium, beautifully styled, and manufactured stands.
http://www.bello.com/index.php?parti...20&categ_id=43

I was able to purchase them through a good on-line outlet called "Racks & Stands".
http://www.racksandstands.com/Bello-...tml#additional

I've found both, 30" or 36", are good height's, as they position the speaker pretty good (near ear level) while sitting down, and still good when standing and listening.
LL
post #378 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info on the stands, looking into a pair, thanks. The C-4's were sold.....oh well, should keep an eye out for RC-30 or 50's, the 10's are really nice, would not want to take a step down......

post #379 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetman View Post

I'd try to find a matching energy C-C1, C-C3 or a single C3 bookshelf for center if I were you. The center channel is VERY important if you watch movies + TV. Sure, the C3s are good for 2 ch music, but you'll probably much prefer them over your Athena center and it will drive you crazy??? You could even go without a center channel. Atleast try a B1 as a center channel compared to the as-c1 if you can accomodate. You should be able to find a C-C1 though; as C-C3s are more rare and it seems more desirable; the C-C1 is still much better then the athena center IMHO.

If it makes you feel better, I bought the C3s and a C-C1 essentially blind even though I could have listened to them to check, but I have read enough on them to know they are just plain better. Got them home, turns out they are. I essentially paid the same for the 3 energys as for 2 pairs of athena B2s even though I got them 1/2 price; so it was a no brainer for me. the b2s and b1s are still great speakers for the price though.

BTW: even though I thought the later energy connoiseur series speakers were made in china, my C3s and C-C1 are clearly labeled as manufactured and designed in canada.

Yes...My C-3s are made in Canada, but I think some later ones are not. Depends on when you bought them. I assume now that the newer lines are being made in China, although not sure about the Veritas.
post #380 of 52320 Old 07-19-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

keep an eye out for RC-30 or 50's, the 10's are really nice, would not want to take a step down......

yeah........while most all those older C-series (especially C-1's, C-3's, C-5's, etc.,..) are very nice sounding, proven, speakers, I would still prefer to have the [new] RC-Series as much as possible- nicer all the way around, new technology. Would'nt waste the brain-cells trying to get the older C-Series if you can get the RC-Series.

Audio Excellence has good prices on the new product.
http://www.AudioExcellence.com/
post #381 of 52320 Old 07-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

But when a newer line is introduced, it gives people the opportunity to get good clearence deals on the previous line.
post #382 of 52320 Old 07-20-2006, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc99 View Post

But when a newer line is introduced, it gives people the opportunity to get good clearence deals on the previous line.

yeah, you're right! especially if you can find C-1's, C-3's, C-5's, C-7's or C-9's- brand [new] in the box. I love these speaker's, they sound beautiful.
post #383 of 52320 Old 07-20-2006, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most of the energy series is now made in china. The veritas series are the only ones still made in canada.

I am surprised at the amount of people not addressing concerns over the RC series. I like it, but it has received some reviews pointing out issues, and some posts here have noted similar issues, supposedly with energy investigating. I'd hold off on the RC series until I was sure these were addressed.

I am also a big fan of the c1,c3,c5,c7 connoisseur series. They reviewed very well and I enjoyed them. Had a c-c3 for a centre channel and loved it.

I now have the veritas i series and haven't looked back.

kw..........
post #384 of 52320 Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 PM

what issues are you talking about? I have the full RC-series and they're excellent. It was the first set of speakers in 7 years that i heard and was like "i'm buying those"

I'm actually gonna get the RC-50 for my rear and sell my rc-30 just cause i want a little bit larger speaker in the rear and also since i have some more money to burn.

If anyone is interested in RC-30's in absolutely perfect condition in the boxes i'm selling mine for 625 + shipping.
post #385 of 52320 Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

I am surprised at the amount of people not addressing concerns over the RC series. I like it, but it has received some reviews pointing out issues, and some posts here have noted similar issues. I now have the veritas i series and haven't looked back.

yeah, actually it was [me] who pointed out, in a previous post, some initial problems with poor mid-range setting's found on a [specific] quantity of RC-Series product. I spoke directly with Energy product manager about this and he responded to my inquiry (admitting the problem and that they had addressed the issue) which I included in another subsequent post. Not really a China issue, but more of a "mass-quantity" manufacturing issue with new product design's. They're not producing as many Veritas Series speaker's as they are RC-Series.

However, that did [not] stop me from purchasing RC-Series, all the demo model's I witnessed performed beautifully. As far as I've seen here, in the L.A. area stores, they have sold quite a bit of RC-Series product without any specific complaint's that I know of.

My RC-30's, RC-LCR's and RC-Mini's sound beautiful! And are high-quality construction and finish! My friend's are totally stunned when they see these speakers for the first time, and comment that they've never heard such clear, nice, sounding speakers.

I have'nt looked-back either.
post #386 of 52320 Old 07-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Most of the energy series is now made in china.

So the exact same machinery makes the speaker somewhere cheaper than it was making them for in Canada... how is it that the factory's location on earth suddenly makes it incapable of producing quality? This one always mystifies me.

Quote:

I am surprised at the amount of people not addressing concerns over the RC series. I like it, but it has received some reviews pointing out issues....

Could you link to those reviews? So far, I haven't read a single negative review about the RC's anywhere nor have I heard any complaints from owners. I'd be interested in learning about these issues to which you refer.
post #387 of 52320 Old 07-20-2006, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
There is no sound issues with the RC series that I am aware of. Actually I think they are quite good for the price. If I had to pick the weak member in the line it would be the RC-30's. I felt that the RC-50's represented a substantial improvement in midrange clarity and soundstage depth.

Its more important that a company manufactures its own drivers. Finally assembly location is of little consequence. Quality control can be bad in the USA or China equally. I think the mentality comes from the fact that many companies outsource everything from design to manufacturing, in which case they dont control any variables of production. However, Energy doesnt does this. They simply have the speakers assembled in another country to keep the products high value.
post #388 of 52320 Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

If I had to pick the weak member in the line it would be the RC-30's.

Oh great. I just bought some 30's from a private party locally! Great price though. Upgraded to these from RC-10,s. Well, still looking forward to listening to them. Will have my 10,s available sould anyone be interested....

post #389 of 52320 Old 07-21-2006, 10:06 AM

haha.. i have a pair of 30's and they're a great buy still for hte money (even though i use them as rears :P ) I find them a little boomy at times... but that will go away when my sub arrives. I will set them as small speakers according to the preamp and then put in the included port blocks.
post #390 of 52320 Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah. I have a Mirage S-10 which blends very nicely with my existing Energy's, I'll try them set to small as well and see how they sound....

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page