Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #39001 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hank, Im still debating those Paradigm Studio 60's V1 in cherry that I mentioned to you a few weeks back. Talked to the guy the other day and he still has them. Would sell for 300. Not sure what I would do with them but like that one guy said I could squirel them away for a later set up.

Ive got some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39002 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I have 2 CF-70'S a CC-10 and a ESWC-10 all have less than 50 hours on them, probally not even that many hours and I have all the original boxes and double boxes for the towers I am willing to sell for $600 if anyone is interested PM me

Ive got some stuff
post #39003 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Studio 60's for $300 is a very good deal, even if they are V1. The Paradigm Studio series is highly regarded.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #39004 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Studio 60's for $300 is a very good deal, even if they are V1. The Paradigm Studio series is highly regarded.

Thanks batpig, I told the guy 3 weeks ago that I was going rc-70's, but those studio 60's have been in the back of my mind and at 300 and also in cherry and great shape, its eating at me a bit.

Ive got some stuff
post #39005 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

I think the point of speakers in Room that we don't use much is interesting...but how about us that squirel away speakers for "future use" or "testing"?

I'll start
2 V minis
1 ESW V8
2 old sony towers

I had more before I discovered Kijiji and sold some and bought others.

the two V-minis and the V8 sub would be a dynamite little 2.1 setup for an office or bedroom.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #39006 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

batpig need your input on this. What would you rather have the Studio 60's in cherry for 300 or RC-50's in black for 400. Both are around 100 miles from me.

Ive got some stuff
post #39007 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hard to say. I've never heard either speaker. Is the cherry finish real wood? That might tempt me, if it's just a vinyl faux-wood finish I'd probably get the RC-50's. I'd be tempted to try the Studios just because you already have a bunch of RC's, it would be interesting to hear something different. You should be able to resell them pretty easily if you don't like them as much as your RC's.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #39008 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I think the point of speakers in Room that we don't use much is interesting...but how about us that squirel away speakers for "future use" or "testing"?

I'll start
2 V minis
1 ESW V8
2 old sony towers

Quote:

I'll start
2 V minis
1 ESW V8
2 old sony towers

I have a few speakers kicking around as well.
Energy-Pro 22, Pro Series .5, C-8, Veritas 1.8, e:XL-26, RC-70, RC-50, --JVC SK-404, AKAI CW-T40, Rectilinear XII, a few Klipsch Pro Media, Klipsch Ultra, Nexxtechs

I too have also sold or gifted a lot speakers in the past. Sony, Technics, Energy, Kenwood, Klipsch, Cerwin Vega and many more.

I also have a couple of amps and toys on hand, just in case the amp monster comes to earth and cleans everyone out. Here are some of the better ones.
LL
LL
LL

Here are some older manuals from Energy
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/scjuc30ylshsa5n/CaqhZ-nx9A
post #39009 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hard to say. I've never heard either speaker. Is the cherry finish real wood? That might tempt me, if it's just a vinyl faux-wood finish I'd probably get the RC-50's. I'd be tempted to try the Studios just because you already have a bunch of RC's, it would be interesting to hear something different. You should be able to resell them pretty easily if you don't like them as much as your RC's.

The studio 60's are real cherry finished wood. I did have a pair of Studio 40's V3 last summer but they arrived dinged up so sent them back to the seller. They sounded really good for a bookshelf, and a dam big book shelf at that.
The 60's have the same speaker arraingment just in a tower, so it should sound more full. But the V1 & V2 from what I have read are a bit brighter than the V3 versions.

Also found a demo pair ( not sure what he means by that) Studio 40's V2 with original boxes in rosenut for 400, but there about 250 miles from me.

Ive got some stuff
post #39010 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

new Energy product coming soon, posted on Energy's FB page:
http://www.energy-speakers.com/comin...u=POWER-SUB-12

the POWER 12 sub..... it gives you POWER.... POWER!!!!

12" sub... but only a 14" cube enclosure.... and a 75 watt (continuous) amp POWER rating.... and a -3dB spec of 35Hz!!

SO MUCH POWER IT STARTS ROLLING OFF AT 40HZ BABY!!!!

I saw that ......

What the hell is happening to the energy brand???

35 hz from a 12" sub is crappy......the S10.3 goes down to 21hz.....i dont get it.
post #39011 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

12" sub... but only a 14" cube enclosure.... and a 75 watt (continuous) amp POWER rating.... and a -3dB spec of 35Hz!!

Wow, I guess the Power had to be somewhere, too bad it's only in the name.

post #39012 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post

I have a few speakers kicking around as well.
Energy-Pro 22, Pro Series .5, C-8, Veritas 1.8, e:XL-26, RC-70, RC-50, --JVC SK-404, AKAI CW-T40, Rectilinear XII, a few Klipsch Pro Media, Klipsch Ultra, Nexxtechs

I too have also sold or gifted a lot speakers in the past. Sony, Technics, Energy, Kenwood, Klipsch, Cerwin Vega and many more.

I also have a couple of amps and toys on hand, just in case the amp monster comes to earth and cleans everyone out. Here are some of the better ones.

I recognize that old 1977 sx-950 you have there. I have a 1978 sx -1080 that I pair with my 1978 Pioneer HPM 100's version B 200 watt versions.
Love they way those sound on the sx-1080, perfect match

Ive got some stuff
post #39013 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, I guess the Power had to be somewhere, too bad it's only in the name.

That was one of my points in a post I made last night. Paranoid of what the future has to offer us from Energy, time to start gathering all the good one now. GEEZZ paraniod or just smart thinking??

Ive got some stuff
post #39014 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

I recognize that old 1977 sx-950 you have there. I have a 1978 sx -1080 that I pair with my 1978 Pioneer HPM 100's version B 200 watt versions.
Love they way those sound on the sx-1080, perfect match

Quote:

That was one of my points in a post I made last night. Paranoid of what the future has to offer us from Energy, time to start gathering all the good one now. GEEZZ paraniod or just smart thinking??

I just reconditioned this SX-950 to better than new. It works awesome and I really like it. I like the Luxman better, but this is a keeper.

I can relate, and I did just that with the current RC line. I bought all of the quality speakers that I could possibly need, when I found them at fire sale prices. I can't see myself sticking around Energy with the new products that they are coming out with. I don't think I'll ever switch brands and buy new speakers from another company, unless of course my current speakers get damaged or something along those lines. Even their member emails and stuff are starting to bother me, it just isn't for me.

post #39015 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would you be able to borrow your buddies Pro Series .5s sometime to do a more fair comparison with your RC-10s? I would love to find out how they can stand up with a more comparible RC speaker.

before I gave them to my buddy I had them set up next to my RC-10's for a few weeks and demo'd them extensively A/B. I agree in many ways with your thoughts:

- the overall tonality is very similar to the RC's, but shouldn't be a surprise considering the consistency of Energy's design philosophy. They have that same neutral, smooth sound signature, although the RC-10's are definitely "warmer" and "thicker" sounding. But I agree that they would blend in no problem as surrounds or heights in an RC setup.

- as you noted the .5's have a "thinner" sound than the RC's, it's not just bookshelf vs. tower, because it was obvious with the RC-10's as well. When A/B switching from the .5's to the RC-10's I would also get that initial impression of "tubby" sound until my ears readjusted.

- I found the .5's to have a very sweet high end, again with that "thinner" sound it makes it sound a bit more detailed and lively. Unfortunately those old brochures still are missing from Energy's website but, when I did look before, what interested my was that the .5's were listed as having a dual-hyperdome tweeter which was actually different than the tweeters on the tower versions (3.5 and 4.5) which I believe had a laminate soft dome tweeter.

- although they aren't that small and have a 5" woofer, the RC-10's definitely spanked the .5's in bass response. Deeper, fuller, smoother.... the .5's can work fine for a small room 2ch setup at moderate volume but I would want a small sub for more serious listening. Unlike the RC-10's which can really stand alone for a small room 2ch rig without a sub unless you are really hitting the bass heavy stuff.

- the build quality of course is significantly below the RC's, standard vinyl veneer, non-removable grill, the visible joints/seams in the back... that is one area where the RC's are really peerless for the price.

Personally I wouldn't pay $100+ for them (although in terms of pure sonics they can easily compete with many bookshelfs that cost that much) because of the lower build quality / aesthetics and the fact that there are better speakers available for that price on the used market. AT $50 or under they are a great value, but at the $100ish price point used you can get speakers like C-1, C-2 or C-3 connoisseurs, 2.1e and 3.1e, etc. I do think I like them better than the e:XL series though, but I haven't heard those in a while so it's hard to say from memory.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #39016 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hank, I think the same thing. Maybe the original Energy guys might pop up some day once the non compete agreement expires. I do enjoy my new V series speakers but don't see myself going to other engery products anytime soon.

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #39017 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Will be a proud RC-70 owner on Friday. Ordered yesterday around lunch time by call in for $399 each. And is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Thanks Vanns for fast shipping so I could set up and play over the weekend. Thanks to all RC owners here provide many of good information here. I'm sure I will be a happy RC owner too even order them without any audition.
post #39018 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the two V-minis and the V8 sub would be a dynamite little 2.1 setup for an office or bedroom.

Exactly my plan. Just haven't decided which one and what to use as sources. Have spare Denon 2707 kicking around.

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #39019 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xftman View Post

Will be a proud RC-70 owner on Friday. Ordered yesterday around lunch time by call in for $399 each. And is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Thanks Vanns for fast shipping so I could set up and play over the weekend. Thanks to all RC owners here provide many of good information here. I'm sure I will be a happy RC owner too even order them without any audition.

Congrats to you on your rc-70's, nice price how did you get them to take 399 each? Those arent on sale anymore at that price. Good job

Ive got some stuff
post #39020 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post

35 hz from a 12" sub is crappy......the S10.3 goes down to 21hz.....i dont get it.

That's insane.

I mean, the ESW-C8 has about the same specs (80W RMS, 36Hz cut-off). How the hell did they manage to not beat this in a 14" enclosure with a 12" driver ???

Ok size is not everything (my SVS SB12-NSD has the exact same size -- a cube 14" on a side, 12" woofer, but it's sealed, not ported) and that amp is severely lacking (my SVS has a 400W RMS amp) but still, the amp has nothing to do with extension per se.

Quote:

and the POWER TEN sub is here:
http://www.energy-speakers.com/subwoofers/?sku=1013559

-3dB spec of 45Hz!!!

it weights FIFTEEN POUNDS and has a 50 watt amp rating!! 100 watts peak!

What the hell is this? With which Energy speakers are you supposed to use this? The Takes?

post #39021 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I can relate, and I did just that with the current RC line. I bought all of the quality speakers that I could possibly need, when I found them at fire sale prices. I can't see myself sticking around Energy with the new products that they are coming out with. I don't think I'll ever switch brands and buy new speakers from another company, unless of course my current speakers get damaged or something along those lines. Even their member emails and stuff are starting to bother me, it just isn't for me.

I know what you mean about their e-mails and Facebook and all. They posted a picture of the RC Micro and said it was a Take Classic satellite and then when they got called out on it they once again said it was a Take Classic. THEN they said, 'oops we looked on the bottom of the wrong speaker"..... Not quite sure they're the smartest group either, at least about their own products

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #39022 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Hard to believe that they would even bother.......good for computer maybe

post #39023 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Picked up a new pair of RC10's. I am really liking the speakers already.

I mainly will listen to music and not very much for movies. I listen to a wide range of music. (Norah Jones to Metallica). My room size is 14 x 12.

Would it be reasonable to use the speakers without a sub? The speakers are rated down to 50hz, so they should go low enough for almost all of the music I listen to.

If possible, I would prefer not to use a sub, but I will if it is going to jeopardize the quality of sound too much.
post #39024 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 380
the RC-10s sound good w/o a sub but will do better with one.

What speakers did you have before to compare the RC-10s with?

Afro GT
post #39025 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

in a 12x14 room with mostly music they will do just fine without a sub, but a sub will definitely make them sound better. You can get a little compact sub to supplement the low end if you feel you want more presence/impact.

the important thing though is are YOU satisfied? if it sounds great to you right now then roll with it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #39026 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM

I was using a Take Classic system.
post #39027 of 52293 Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Wow. My MA sub in a 14" cube takes a 500 RMS (1000 peak) watt amp!! Smaller enclosure requires more power...

Quote:

Only thing I can say is thats just unreal man. In the bathroom. LOL

Well, how many shower radios are out there? I would rather listen to quality, and my OWN choice of music (not the radio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

What the hell is this? With which Energy speakers are you supposed to use this? The Takes?

Easy man! I have Takes !! The FPS style.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #39028 of 52293 Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Only thing I got to say tonight is this crap is addicting.

My question is Am I Alone Here or have I found a whole mess of other crazy insane people???

You're in the right place if your looking for company. My family and office mates think I'm nuts and wonder why I keep saying things like - do you know anyone who needs a really good budget 5.1 system... there's one on sale on newegg today!

I have a pile of speakers still in boxes waiting to go into the basement when we refinish it later this year, and I've collected a list of speakers to replace some of my HTIB speakers in the bedroom, plus, yes, i want to put a speaker (or 2?) in the bathroom when that's refinished. And I need a sub. Or 3 apparently. Ok, I have one now, but it's still in the box, I don't have a place for it at the moment.

Sigh/grin.
post #39029 of 52293 Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'll start
2 V minis
1 ESW V8
2 old sony towers

Unused at the moment:
3 Energy Veritas speakers, 1 RC, 2 Mirage speakers for the basement when the HT/rec room gets built. Wait a sec, the VSW sub will go upstairs in the den, and I'll be getting an HSU for down there.
1 extra Mirage (in ceiling)
2 giant towers, unknown mfr picked up off a curb on garbage day (verified to "work") originally intended for the basement at some point
2 klipsch towers formerly from the den fronts (now where I have some RC-70s), intended for the living room when I get a receiver that can power 2 zones.
2 30 yr old bookshelf speakers with awesome sound, formerly in the den, will probably go back to the den when the HT/rec room goes in, (RCs will go down there)
1 extra Denon HTIB speaker
A few computer speakers
A few car speakers

-Afflicted
post #39030 of 52293 Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I can attest to that, I use this set up (RC-Mini's + V8) in even a larger room, for occasional music sessions. It really shines, especially when turned up a bit.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page