Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post

That is the reason for all of this, Energy has taken down the manuals and brochures from their website. I got the files from the Energy website before they were all removed.

I don't want to run into any issues with any companies that may have a problem with this material being posted, but I would like to make it legally available to many people, if it is possible.

They just make you go to the product page, but the link to the manual is there. For example, http://audiovox2.info/docs/common/10...1012107_OM.pdf

If you're talking about archived manuals, I agree that's a different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
The archived stuff is the whole point of the discussion.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If I had been paying attention, I would have realized that a whole lot sooner. I'm going to chalk it up as a "senior moment". I'm back in sync again.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 10
Hi
This is my first post here, I have read the energy speakers thread this days, but could not find somebody posting something about the V6.2. I am looking to change/upgrade my 5.1 system and one of my options for fronts are the V6.2 for $349 at vanns. Can someone that have this speakers tell me about their experience with them? Is this a good speaker for the price?
Thank you.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by withstar View Post

Hi
This is my first post here, I have read the energy speakers thread this days, but could not find somebody posting something about the V6.2. I am looking to change/upgrade my 5.1 system and one of my options for fronts are the V6.2 for $349 at vanns. Can someone that have this speakers tell me about their experience with them? Is this a good speaker for the price?
Thank you.

welcome to the brotherhood.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
speaking of archived stuff, here is an older article/review from Audioholics titled: "Energy Announces New Reference Connoisseur Series", reflecting the RC-Series official release to the market at that time (2005). Provides a nice little run-down of the design and technologies used in this popular line of speakers and some mention of the principal Energy chief designer John Tchilinguirian. I thought some here would find this info valuable since the RC-Series product is still being sold and circulated.

Energy_RCSeries_AudioHolics_June05.pdf 81.3251953125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Energy_RCSeries_AudioHolics_June05.pdf (81.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

speaking of archived stuff, here is an older article/review from Audioholics titled: "Energy Announces New Reference Connoisseur Series", reflecting the RC-Series official release to the market at that time (2005). Provides a nice little run-down of the design and technologies used in this popular line of speakers and some mention of the principal Energy chief designer John Tchilinguirian. I thought some here would find this info valuable since the RC-Series product is still being sold and circulated.

Wow! very interesting and obviously a very preliminary announcement! The photo shows the RC-50 with the bigger woofers and where did those "RC-SUBs" go?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I am sure they are fine speakers (I own the larger 6.3) but for the price most would go with the RC-70 for a little more over the V6.2 and are better speakers minus the better finishes available on the V series .
Quote:
Originally Posted by withstar View Post

Hi
Thank you.

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Wow! very interesting and obviously a very preliminary announcement! The photo shows the RC-50 with the bigger woofers and where did those "RC-SUBs" go?

the RC-SUB was never released. Rumor has it that they had a faulty amp design which caused them to *literally* catch on fire.

so they never saw the light of day... one can only assume they went back to he drawing board and the ESW-V line was the eventual replacement for this failed product.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Thank you CalgaryCowboy
I have read your comparation between the RC70 and V6.3, i would go for veritas 6.3 but the price is almost $2000 for a pair so that is the reason that I have asked about the V6.2. The RC70 are $1000 for a pair and V6.2 are $700 for a pair. The build for V series is beautiful (WAF points), so if the V6.2 are that good like the RC70, I would go for them. By any chance did you hear how the V6.2 sound? Or maybe somebody else?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is no reason to think the V6.2 won't be awesome. We have gotten plenty of positive feedback on the V5.1 (bookshelf) and the V6.3 flagship tower. It just so happens that (on this thread) the folks either tend to go whole hog (stepping all the way up to V6.3) or for the "value" choice (RC-70) and the V6.2 is sort of the red-headed stepchild.

from what we know of the copious comparisons of RC-50 and RC-70, which should apply equally to the V6.2 vs. V6.3, is that the major difference is going to be clarity & separation of details, especially in the midrange, because the RC-70 / V6.3 is a full 3-way design whereas the RC-50 / V6.2 is a 2.5-way. The dedicated midrange driver of the higher model and the additional crossover circuitry is the key there. Some have also noted that the RC-70 has slightly deeper and better controlled bass, again presumably because the 3-way design (the two woofers only have to handle bass, not bass + mids).

that said, most would agree that the difference is on the smaller side and is mostly noticeable with "critical" 2ch music listening. And it's probably fairly subtle. So if the V6.2's fit your budget and you love the looks, grab them, that's a great price!

the only caveat is if you will eventually get the "upgrade bug" and second guess yourself, in which case it probably would be better to wait for a sale on the V6.3 and do it right the first time. That's something you can only decide between yourself, your wallet, and your wife . If you do get the V6.2 and then get the upgrade bug later on, worst case you can use the 6.2's as surrounds if you buy the 6.3's too.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone that has a rc -70's ever hook them up to a vintage 1970's amp or reciever?

I just hooked them up to a pioneer sx-1080 ( circa 1978 ). The sound is totally different then running them on my pioneer vsx-03 ( circa 2008 ). The sound is pleasing but just dont know how to describe it further. I guess what comes to mind is really full sound. Listening to free ride by the Edgar Winter group which has a pretty heavy bass riff, and swithing back to the other 70's hooked up to the vsx -03 on stereo ( same song ) setting speakers set to large no sub. The old pioneer gives them a heavier sound.

Ive got some stuff
Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 PM

Withstar,
I don't know where you live, but I'm actually trying to sell my 6.2s right now (and for less than Vanns--I'm moving in 2 weeks so I need to unload them). I'm in the DC area. PM if you are interested or if yo have any questions. I don't want to ship them though.

Also, I upgraded from the 6.2s to the 6.3s. I wouldn't have done so if I hadn't gotten a great deal on the 6.3s. Even so, the 6.3s sound better to me in that it seems to blend better or more effortlessly across all ranges. But I had no complaints when I was using the 6.2s. The characteristics of the two are pretty much the same, except for what I just mentioned. Before the 6.2s, I was using CB-20s...needless to say the 6.2s were a huge leap forward from those.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Some have also noted that the RC-70 has slightly deeper and better controlled bass, again presumably because the 3-way design (the two woofers only have to handle bass, not bass + mids).

that said, most would agree that the difference is on the smaller side and is mostly noticeable with "critical" 2ch music listening. And it's probably fairly subtle.

There definitely can be more bass with the RC-70s over the 50s, but it depends on the music being played. I first noticed a difference playing a Tool CD, so this prompted me to do a comparison between the two models. After I did some head to heads, I noticed the differences between the two models bass wise, and it was worth making note of.

I highly doubt anybody would EVER notice ANY difference between the RC-50s and RC-70s when being used for home theatre applications.
I agree that the RC-70s are better than the RC-50s for people that are more demanding of their music setups. The RC-LCR and RC-70 are superior to the RC-50 and other RC models, but again, some types of music will demonstrate this better than others will.

Here are some older manuals from Energy
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/scjuc30ylshsa5n/CaqhZ-nx9A
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Anyone that has a rc -70's ever hook them up to a vintage 1970's amp or reciever?

I just hooked them up to a pioneer sx-1080 ( circa 1978 ). The sound is totally different then running them on my pioneer vsx-03 ( circa 2008 ). The sound is pleasing but just dont know how to describe it further. I guess what comes to mind is really full sound. Listening to free ride by the Edgar Winter group which has a pretty heavy bass riff, and swithing back to the other 70's hooked up to the vsx -03 on stereo ( same song ) setting speakers set to large no sub. The old pioneer gives them a heavier sound.

I usually end up having my speakers hooked up to different older amps. I like my Pioneeer SX-950, but it isn't the most laid back amp / receiver I have heard. I will definitely say that it does sound very full though, especially the tuner section of those receivers, hands down compared to most. I have an Arcam Alpha 7 connected to it, and all I can say is the Pioneer sounds more full than the $1000+ tuner that is connected to it. That says something in my books.
I would have to anticipate the possibility, that with other speakers, that the Pioneer SX series could sound shrill and bordering harsh with the wrong match of speakers.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I usually end up having my speakers hooked up to different older amps. I like my Pioneeer SX-950, but it isn't the most laid back amp / receiver I have heard. I will definitely say that it does sound very full though, especially the tuner section of those receivers, hands down compared to most. I have an Arcam Alpha 7 connected to it, and all I can say is the Pioneer sounds more full than the $1000+ tuner that is connected to it. That says something in my books.
I would have to anticipate the possibility, that with other speakers, that the Pioneer SX series could sound shrill and bordering harsh with the wrong match of speakers.

Thanks Hank, I got to say the rc-70's sound really good with the sx 1080.
I am looking at a pioneer spec 1 and a spec 2 amp for these. Or a pioneer sa-9500 II amp and tx 9500II tuner. See what happens

Ive got some stuff
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Hank, I got to say the rc-70's sound really good with the sx 1080.
I am looking at a pioneer spec 1 and a spec 2 amp for these. Or a pioneer sa-9500 II amp and tx 9500II tuner. See what happens

In my opinion, the current RCs will sound pleasing in almost any setup, and will rock most peoples worlds. The tuner that you already have should rival the other models, but let us know what you find if you try one of them

Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hank - you should subscribe to Dropbox or some other free web space service. Dropbox gives you 2GB of storage for free and you can post the PDFs on your "public" folder where they will be accessible as links to others.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hank - you should subscribe to Dropbox or some other free web space service. Dropbox gives you 2GB of storage for free and you can post the PDFs on your "public" folder where they will be accessible as links to others.

Thanks man, I'll look into that. I'll get it together for everybody soon.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In my opinion, the current RCs will sound pleasing in almost any setup, and will rock most peoples worlds. The tuner that you already have should rival the other models, but let us know what you find if you try one of them

Hank, any other older amp and tuner combinations that you might
think would be a good match for the 70's would be appreciated. I was thinking possibly a old Marantz I am using the sx-180 with a pair of HPM 100's so would like to keep that set up and go with something else for the rc 70's.

I am going to remove the set of 70's that I tried for surrounds, and just go the 70's rclcr for the front stage and use something else I have around here for the surrounds. Just seems like a waste to use another set of rc 70 for that when it could be more a benefit in designated 2 channel music system.

Ive got some stuff
Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone that has a rc -70's ever hook them up to a vintage 1970's amp or reciever? I just hooked them up to a pioneer sx-1080 ( circa 1978 ). The sound is totally different then running them on my pioneer vsx-03 ( circa 2008 ). The sound is pleasing but just dont know how to describe it further. I guess what comes to mind is really full sound. The old pioneer gives them a heavier sound

yeah these classic 70's old-school receivers (Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, etc.,...) all sound prettty good, especially the higher-end models.

This Pioneer SX-1080 spec's @120W per/chan, also feature tube amp and discrete component pre-amp sections. I guess a more "fat" sound? Nice analog sound. Real metal controls, wood chassis panels.
http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcol...elsx-1080.html

Current day receiver products are based on pure digital modules (DSP, etc.,..) which ultimately feed much more integrated analog pre-amp sections. The higher end models feature more expensive discrete components for analog section (op-amps, DAC's, torroidal power-supply, mono-block style power-amp sections, etc.,...). Typically cleaner sounding (to me). Lower noise floor.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

seems like a waste to use another set of rc 70 for that when it could be more a benefit in designated 2 channel music system.

exactly, unless you're using a good separate amp to drive them (I'd prefer 150W per/chan-plus, 250W per/chan even better). Really depends what you're playing? Multi-channel SACD's or DVD-A's?

If you're mostly listening to movie and some music surround stuff I would prefer RC-10 or V-S's for surrounds, they work really well with good receiver
Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 PM

Thank you guys for your input.
batpig thanks first for your "Denon to english dictionary", it was realy helpfull few years ago when I changed my old Yamaha dsp A1 with a Denon 4308, and yes I understand what are you saying about the V6.2 and I think that I would like a more reveling speaker with more detail and clarity like a RC70.
It is too bad that there is no place right now to listen and compare the speakers myself.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hello all,

I just spent the last hour reading through dozens of pages after searching on "CF-70" and I still wanted to post this for some advice.

Last year I bought two CF-70's for $200 each on a sale. I mostly use them for HT. I still have not bought a CC-10; Vanns wants too much for them. It's hard to pay more for my center than the fronts.

I follow this thread and see the massive love affair over the RC-70's and it makes me feel a bit inadequate .

I want to hear some real comparison opinions from those of you that have owned both CF and RC 70's. I already know the RC-70's are better. What I am trying to decide is if they are $700 better than CF-70's, since that is the difference in price between what I paid and what Vanns sales RC-70's.

Also, it drives me nuts that the CC-10 is more expensive than the RCLCR. Isn't the RCLCR better? Would it be a bad idea to get the RCLCR now to go with my CF-70's for HT and maybe move up to the RC-70's some other day? I hate buying a CC-10 and then have three speakers I need to sell later to upgrade.

So in summary: Are the RC-70's $700 (or 4x) better than CF-70's for home theater? Will the RCLCR pair well with the CF-70's?

Also, if it helps with your advice, I have a Denon 1611 Receiver.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

Hello all,

I just spent the last hour reading through dozens of pages after searching on "CF-70" and I still wanted to post this for some advice.

So in summary: Are the RC-70's $700 (or 4x) better than CF-70's for home theater? Will the RCLCR pair well with the CF-70's?

Thanks in advance

I think the differences are covered pretty well in this forum. If you are primarily using the CF-70's for home theater, the RC-70 is not significantly better as the brighter sound of the CF-70's might make them more suited to home theater use. Where the RC-70's shine is primarily for listening to music.

I assume you don't have space for another CF-70 to use as a center. If you think you will upgrade to the RC's at some point, by all means buy the LCR. If you will not, CC-10 is a better tonal match. Every so often, the CC-10 does go on sale or you could try to find it used.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think a big question is whether you like the bright/forward sound of the CF series or if you find things to get a bit harsh/fatiguing at higher volumes?

One alternate option if you are looking for an upgrade (and especially if you enjoy the detail/clarity of a more forward speaker for HT) and have the $1000 budget is to go with the Veritas -- right now at Vann's you can get a pair of V6.2 towers ($349ea) and V5.2c center ($299) for exactly $1k shipped. That would be a pretty sweet front end for HT for the price and a significant step up in build quality and sonic refinement from the CF's.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I think a big question is whether you like the bright/forward sound of the CF series or if you find things to get a bit harsh/fatiguing at higher volumes?

One alternate option if you are looking for an upgrade (and especially if you enjoy the detail/clarity of a more forward speaker for HT) and have the $1000 budget is to go with the Veritas -- right now at Vann's you can get a pair of V6.2 towers ($349ea) and V5.2c center ($299) for exactly $1k shipped. That would be a pretty sweet front end for HT for the price and a significant step up in build quality and sonic refinement from the CF's.

Agreed with batpig (as usual)......

If you could afford that, then you could use your CF 70's as surrounds and have one really sweet 5.0 or 5.1 setup!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Hello all,

Last year I bought two CF-70's for $200 each on a sale. I mostly use them for HT. I still have not bought a CC-10; Vanns wants too much for them. It's hard to pay more for my center than the fronts.

I follow this thread and see the massive love affair over the RC-70's and it makes me feel a bit inadequate .

I want to hear some real comparison opinions from those of you that have owned both CF and RC 70's. I already know the RC-70's are better. What I am trying to decide is if they are $700 better than CF-70's, since that is the difference in price between what I paid and what Vanns sales RC-70's.

Also, it drives me nuts that the CC-10 is more expensive than the RCLCR. Isn't the RCLCR better? Would it be a bad idea to get the RCLCR now to go with my CF-70's for HT and maybe move up to the RC-70's some other day? I hate buying a CC-10 and then have three speakers I need to sell later to upgrade.

Thanks in advance

I switched from CF-70s to RC-50s and I'm happy with my decision. Even though it doesn't have the midrange like the CF-70s have, I am happy with the sound. I was a HT-only guy when I had the CF towers setup (2xCF-70s, 2xCF-30) but since switching to the RC-50s up front (with the RC-LCR at center) I listen to about as much music as movies, or even more sometimes.

Let's just say the RC towers (and RC-LCR) bring out the definition in music and movies that you have to have higher volumes to achieve on the CF towers while maintaining the natural sound vs. having it in-your-face.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance

It's not easy to answer that. You got a great deal for the CF-70's at $200 each. They are right now $549 each at Vanns.

If I had a disposable $1098 right now, and you asked me whether I would spend it on CF-70's or on 2 X RC-70's and pocket $140, I'd go RC in a flash. Heck I'd do it and pay a premium of $1-200 on the RC's.

So you're basing your decision on a killer deal at the time, you can't extrapolate from that to the current state of affairs. You have to take things as they are now. Is the CC-10 better than the $249 RC-LCR? or the $300 V5.2C? I don't think so, but what is the price for tonal match for your speakers if you decide to keep the CF-70's?

You can drive yourself crazy and get nothing if you base your decisions on a really good deal like that. I've never heard the C's or the V's, but I do have two RC setups and I can tell you the RC-LCR in both cases is a killer center.

I bought it sight unseen after having the RC mini cc and seeing what that little powerhouse can do. Not disappointed.

One way to test the waters, if you're willing to possibly foot the return bill - get the 70's and the RC-LCR or just the RC-LCR and try them out in your space. The CF-70's can be moved to surrounds or sold (probably getting a good profit or breaking even on the price). In this case, whether it's worth the money only you can answer.

I'd think it is, but that's me.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

One way to test the waters, if you're willing to possibly foot the return bill - get the 70's and the RC-LCR or just the RC-LCR and try them out in your space. The CF-70's can be moved to surrounds or sold (probably getting a good profit or breaking even on the price). In this case, whether it's worth the money only you can answer.

That's a good idea.

The way I tested the RC sound was getting a pair of RC-10s and when I loved them (out of the box) I immediately started looking for an RC tower. Found losservatore's RC-50 pair he was selling and pounced on them. But again, it all depends on if you like the sound of the RC speakers or the CF/CB speakers.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50