Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #4591 of 52183 Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 921
I'm not in Dallas (but I did go to Rice!) but I can tell you that Energy speakers have a similar character across their lines, if you like the sound of the CF models you will like the sound of the C-series. Their entry level line is very consistent through the years -- there are plenty of folks blending e:XL's from 1998 with C-series from 2005 -- as their goal, based on decades of research, is for a neutral sound with flat response and good dispersion.

But, of course, if some nice DFW C-series owner will help you out, that wouldn't hurt!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 52183 Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't wait to see some reviews on their new CB/CF lines. Is there anything on the web yet?
post #4593 of 52183 Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

it's going to be slow to trickle in, and energy's entry level products rarely get reviewed in big A/V mags. it seems like reviewers focus on higher end stuff (RC series, Veritas, etc.) or the niche products (Take Classic, TAKE series, etc) but I haven't found a single C-series review out there. You may have to depend on user reviews.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4594 of 52183 Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Here's an old C-Series review:

http://www.canadahifi.com/review39.php
post #4595 of 52183 Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM

Ok this is getting to be really annoying, so I get my replacement S12.3 sub, plug it in and all seems well I go downstairs tonight and the Friggen LED Light on the replacement sub is now out.

This is unbelievable, I put a meter on the outlet its fine and reading 120V, there is nothing on the CCT but receptacles so there is no way the CCT is seeing some kind of power surge.

So I'm now batting 0/2 on Energy subs, If I didn't already own one I'd most definately be getting my money back and picking up somthing else. Beware of Energy Quality.
post #4596 of 52183 Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

like I said before, the LED light going out is a common issue with the SX.3 subs. it shouldn't affect the performance at all.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4597 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 AM

If its an issue they should fix it, it really isn't that hard. I don't think anyone should settle for a manufacturer defect becomming acceptable.

Talked to my dealer today, were going to return this thing, and trade in my old unit and I'm going to pick up some Totem subs.
post #4598 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Thats too bad, it really is a great sub. My 12.3 has never given me a problem, guess i am a lucky one.

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #4599 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 02:32 PM

Energy C-100's for $99 + $5 shipping at woot. It's a woot off so get 'em fast.
post #4600 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just ordered a pair of C-500s from WWStereo! I'm very excited, as these are my first speakers (always just used the TV before). I'll see how I like them, and then maybe add a center-channel c-series later.
post #4601 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantrell View Post

Energy C-100's for $99 + $5 shipping at woot. It's a woot off so get 'em fast.

O-M-G

I waited weeks to see if woot would have those again for $99, then finally gave up last night and ordered them from wwstereo! man I have bad audio karma!
post #4602 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 351
the C-100 woot is gone now.

Afro GT
post #4603 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcycle View Post

O-M-G

I waited weeks to see if woot would have those again for $99, then finally gave up last night and ordered them from wwstereo! man I have bad audio karma!

well, it's only 25 bucks difference... you didn't do that bad!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4604 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Unless you bought 3 pair. Woot only charges $5 shipping per order. So if bought 3 pair from woot, the total would be $99 x 3 plus $5 shipping. So it would $302 vs $387.

Still the wwstereo prices are very good!

Afro GT
post #4605 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 PM

Hi everyone
I currently have RC-mini all around with the subwoofer ESW-V8 with Yamaha V663 reciever, does any of you can help me setup the subwoofer???
Should I set the subwoofer bypass or active?? also what about the Phase?? whats phase?? On the subwoofer, should I turn the Low-pass filter to the maximum?? How about the volume level??

thank you for your help!
thanks
post #4606 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

heh heh, yeah. it's just the timing of it that galls me.
post #4607 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since you're receiver has bass management, plug the subwoofer cable into the unit and set it to crossover to bypass. This enables the receiver to set the crossover and disables the low pass filter on the ESW-V8.

This is what I'm doing with my Energy 10.3 sub.

Set the sub volume around halfway or maybe a little less. When you're calibrating your whole system the receiver should make adjustments to balance out the signal to the sub as well as the other speakers.

Set the power mode to "Auto". That way the subwoofer only comes on when the receiver is in use and low frequencies are sent from it.

Pages 3-4 of the manual actually explains all of this pretty well. If you don't have a manual you can download it here.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/images/download/345.aspx

Afro GT
post #4608 of 52183 Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:

heh heh, yeah. it's just the timing of it that galls me.

Yea I ordered them from WWStereo at the end of last week. Oh well, I just had to make sure I got them in before everywhere started running out of stock. The prices these are going for are absolutely ridiculous! I couldn't wait any longer, I had to jump on it
post #4609 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade727 View Post

Yea I ordered them from WWStereo at the end of last week. Oh well, I just had to make sure I got them in before everywhere started running out of stock. The prices these are going for are absolutely ridiculous! I couldn't wait any longer, I had to jump on it

My thinking exactly. Even the wwstereo listing on ebay had around $20 more in shipping. So directly from the store with free shipping was actually a pretty good deal. But kudos and congrats to everyone who got them for $99, well done.
post #4610 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 AM

Just joined this forum. Have been over at AudioKarma.org and CanuckAudioMart looking for help with my Energy questions.

I am the proud owner of an older set of Energy Pro22's. I recently discovered that one of my tweeters is not working. I called Energy about rebuilds and they tell me that they sold all there PRO22 parts and gigs to Chris Coote of ABI Technical Serices in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. I have talked to him and he says he does full rebuilds for $160 per tweeter. I am wondering if anyone out there has had a PRO22 tweeter rebuilt recently,where they had it done, what it cost and how it now performs. Several Energy PRO enthusiasts on another website have advised me not to go with an aftermarket/alternate brand replacement as the PRO22 tweeters were spesifically designed to match the crossover due to there unusual frequency crossover points(or something to that effect).

I am now looking to replace my older el-cheepo Yamaha surround speakers with a more appropriate match to my PRO22's. I have been reading about the Energy C-R100, RC-R and CR-10 and one of these may be my final choice. Since I don't have a big TV room(20' x 12') I am wondering if the RC-R might be more speaker than I need. The Paradigm Monitor Series ADP190 is another one that I am considering.

Your thoughts and opinions on these questions are much appreciated.

Cheers,

22GUY
post #4611 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:

My thinking exactly. Even the wwstereo listing on ebay had around $20 more in shipping. So directly from the store with free shipping was actually a pretty good deal. But kudos and congrats to everyone who got them for $99, well done.

Don't forget about the 25% cashback from Microsoft if you buy from the ebay store via Live.com search. (Though of course it takes 6 weeks to get the cash.)
post #4612 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 AM

Bought 2 Pair from Woot last night. Can't beat that price of 99 a pair.

SpartanTS
post #4613 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

22GUY - the guy in Canada who does the rebuilds is making ACTUAL authentic Energy dual hyperdome tweeters. Energy sold all of their parts to him and licensed him to do the rebuilds. So he is legit, and others are correct that you shouldn't try to substitute a different brand tweeter because the "million dollar tweeter" is what really made those 22's sing. As far as I know he is the man, and is the only one doing factory spec'd rebuilds on authentic dual hyperdome tweets.

as to what surround speakers will match.... that's hard to say, honestly, as the Pro22's are very old obviously. the C-R100's will probably be fine, and they are very cheap right now ($79 each with free shipping from wwstereo.com) so I would go with those and see how they sound, and then if you feel they are lacking you can try to find some RC-R's or even an older used surround speaker on ebay (like the RVSS).

I wouldn't go with the CR-10 as they are just the "entry level" replacement for the C-R100's, you might as well grab the closeout pricing on the C-series as it's not like you are trying to match a brand new set of speakers.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4614 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 02:16 PM

I recently purchased a pair of RC-70s and noticed that the woofer basket was visible when looking into the lower port. There was no sound damping material covering the rear of the woofers as shown in the cut-away view in the Energy brochure. I stuck a dental mirror in the lower port to have a look around and noticed that there was also no damping material on the lower side walls although there was some on the floor. ( I couldn't angle the mirror to look at the rear wall.) Again the brochure shows that there should be material on the side walls. Also, I couldn't look into the speaker from the upper port as the inside end has a piece of thin black foam pushed directly up against it with some pink insulation visible behind.

I checked out the RC-70s at Future Shop and the view from the ports was the same, so this is not a particular defect of my units, but must be some sort of design change / cost cutting measure. Does anyone else with a pair of RC-70s have the same situation? I'm no expert in speaker design, but wouldn't the absence of damping material lead to unwanted resonances / standing waves? And what's the point of having an upper port if it is blocked?
LL
LL
LL
post #4615 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellshocked View Post

must be some sort of design change / cost cutting measure, wouldn’t the absence of damping material lead to unwanted resonances / standing waves? And what’s the point of having an upper port if it is blocked?

I'm figuring they (Energy development team) have ran tests (in the anechoic chamber) that may show no difference in output I would hope............
post #4616 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I recently purchased a pair of RC-70s and noticed that the woofer basket was visible when looking into the lower port. There was no sound damping material covering the rear of the woofers as shown in the cut-away view in the Energy brochure. I stuck a dental mirror in the lower port to have a look around and noticed that there was also no damping material on the lower side walls although there was some on the floor. ( I couldn’t angle the mirror to look at the rear wall.) Again the brochure shows that there should be material on the side walls. Also, I couldn’t look into the speaker from the upper port as the inside end has a piece of thin black foam pushed directly up against it with some pink insulation visible behind.

I checked out the RC-70s at Future Shop and the view from the ports was the same, so this is not a particular defect of my units, but must be some sort of design change / cost cutting measure. Does anyone else with a pair of RC-70s have the same situation? I’m no expert in speaker design, but wouldn’t the absence of damping material lead to unwanted resonances / standing waves? And what’s the point of having an upper port if it is blocked?

On my RC-50s (purchased in August), the upper chamber has the same dark foam material as yours only about an inch or so away from the back of the port. I would think that the foam is probably acoustically transparent. The lower port has no pink insulation directly opposite but some can be seen below and above the port if I look hard enough.

The sleeper must awaken.
post #4617 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash78 View Post

Don't forget about the 25% cashback from Microsoft if you buy from the ebay store via Live.com search. (Though of course it takes 6 weeks to get the cash.)

hmmm, let's see, $129 x25% = 96.75 + $20 ship = $116.75 (after 6 weeks ). or is the 25 percent off the total = $111.75? Still better than full price I suppose, as long as you don't mind waiting for the refund.

Got my C-100s today -- nice little speaker. They share the characteristics of my C-3s, but smaller and not quite as dynamic or something I guess, obviously because of the size. Very full and rich sounding little speaker, though, and the usual neutral sound you'd expect from Energy. Bi-wireable, too -- wtf for the price -- amazing. Hooked them up to an old Pioneer receiver and gave them to a family member who is not into audio but had been wanting a 2-channel system, and for about $200 total it's a kick #ss little setup. Sounds like 2-3 times the price. These old receivers put the HT receivers to shame.
post #4618 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd say the C-100's are more like C-1's than C-3's.

Afro GT
post #4619 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I recently purchased a pair of RC-70s and noticed that the woofer basket was visible when looking into the lower port. There was no sound damping material covering the rear of the woofers as shown in the cut-away view in the Energy brochure. I stuck a dental mirror in the lower port to have a look around and noticed that there was also no damping material on the lower side walls although there was some on the floor. ( I couldn’t angle the mirror to look at the rear wall.) Again the brochure shows that there should be material on the side walls. Also, I couldn’t look into the speaker from the upper port as the inside end has a piece of thin black foam pushed directly up against it with some pink insulation visible behind.

I checked out the RC-70s at Future Shop and the view from the ports was the same, so this is not a particular defect of my units, but must be some sort of design change / cost cutting measure. Does anyone else with a pair of RC-70s have the same situation? I’m no expert in speaker design, but wouldn’t the absence of damping material lead to unwanted resonances / standing waves? And what’s the point of having an upper port if it is blocked?

I checked mine and saw one speaker just a hint of pink insulation (whatever you want to call it) just above the bottom bottom port, but otherwise it looks like your pics on the inside (including the black part up top.

However, look at the cutout again. You'll notice the port extends inside and the speaker enclosure and to me the damping material is around the port, not in front of it.

Also, the ports are there for a reason, to move air. If you put a piece of sound damping (ok pink insulation ) in front of the port, you've pretty much defeated the purpose of that port. It can't move any air if it's blocked (hence why covering up the port changes the sound). But based on that observation, not sure what the material is blocking the port on the top or how it allows air flow to go through.

Now, if you check a couple of pages back, you'll see a pic of my 'family'. I checked all the ports on all my speakers and none of them (Ascends, Totem Hawks, Energy Veritas , Energy RC's, and the Polk RT800i's) have any sound damping material on the inside of the port except for the upper port of the Energy RC 70. You can see the white sound damping material in the Ascends, but they are not blocking the ports and the port tube is very shallow (which may be why you can see it).

I guess you can take that for what it's worth, but I don't think it's a problem. Speakers sound fine

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #4620 of 52183 Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 PM

BATPIG:

Thanks for the info. I plan to remove my tweeter tomorrow and test it to confirm that it's not the crossover at fault. Then it's out with the other tweeter and in the mail to Nova Scotia for the rebuild.

As for the surrounds I did check with one of our local audio suppliers today, Future Shop, who told me that they have discontinued carrying the C-R100 and they have been clearing them out for $49.97 each, but, after checking their website, not one store has any left! Damm!!!

Now they did have some RC-R's at $437.79 each, and some CR-10's at $369.99 per pair. I offered the sales guy $437.79 for a pair of RC-R's, but I guess he didn't appreciate the humor of my offer! I said that I sure didn't think that 2 were worth $875.598!!!

I had actually taken a shine to the CR-10's(despite their driver being slightly smaller than the C-R100), as their speaker configuration I thought would be more suited to the rear of my particular TV room, as the tweeter angles up to reflect off the ceiling and the driver angles down toward the listener. But after your comment of it being an "entry level replacement" for the CR-100's I am now rethinking that idea. I assumed that since the CR-10 is part of the "Connosseur Series" that it would be a (much) better speaker than the C-R100, which is part of what I thought was the lesser "C-Series".

Still confused, but thanks for any further input.

Cheers,

22GUY
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page