Energy Owners Thread - Page 1734 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #51991 of 52295 Old 06-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Newbie
 
bowler13joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post

haha... yeah true I went big... but I didn't spend too much which was great. my speakers were the most expensive part of the puzzle.

prepro 189
ma-700 250 each
ma-6100 150 each
rc-70 299 each
sony cd player 199

now the sub search will tip the scales a bit at 600+ but now that I have a ferrari for the rest of the system I want to compliment it with the right bass. smile.gif

The sound is not louder either - it's hard to describe... it's more precise, more immersing but without any fatigue... I can turn it way up and I have no idea how loud it really is until my wife comes home and tries to talk to me. lol "WHAT???"

edit: my poor eyes can't see this small font.. sigh well, as long as my ears stay fresh that's what I care about more haha

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean. My wife is always yelling at me for having the music too loud!

I think I may just go the route you did. Wish this stupid Denon had preouts. That would make my life a lot easier! I'd hate to get rid of the surround capabilities. That would render my RC-LCR utterly useless. But, at the same time, I don't want to spend a small fortune, either. mad.gif
r3v3nant likes this.
bowler13joe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #51992 of 52295 Old 06-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
r3v3nant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler13joe View Post

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean. My wife is always yelling at me for having the music too loud!

I think I may just go the route you did. Wish this stupid Denon had preouts. That would make my life a lot easier! I'd hate to get rid of the surround capabilities. That would render my RC-LCR utterly useless. But, at the same time, I don't want to spend a small fortune, either. mad.gif

yeah as the sound quality gets better and better I get less complaints and I throw some journey in the play list every so often and she's way happier. wink.gif

FYI - the device that made the biggest sound quality improvement in my whole system was the prepro. I got lucky and scored and older very good unit with no HDMI which people don't want any more... since I was going for a 2.1 only system it was perfect.

edit: aside from the speakers obviously. wink.gif the preamp sends such a clean signal it's ridiculous... it took a year for my friend who is into monoblocks and prepro's and such to get me to take the plunge.. I used this Thompson Twin's CD as a bench mark and when I moved from my Yamaha RX-V1400 as a preamp to the Outlaw and put that CD on I was blown away.. I was using polk tsx330 speakers at the time also.. I think since I was not rebuilding my 7.1 system which would have cost 1000s more to do with a prepro and such it helped ease me into this setup... I don't have the $$ to rebuild the HT with all that kind of gear now either so it works out. lol wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxx1 View Post

I demo-ed speakers with Dire Straits: On Every Street .. particularly " You and Your Friends" and with the RC70's it sounds just amazing. The Brothers in Arms CD is good as well to hear what a speaker can do.

that CD is demo material for sure... sounds flat out amazing.. gives me shivers.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
r3v3nant is offline  
post #51993 of 52295 Old 06-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
jerrolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry - ive asked this in the main speakers thread but havent gotten a definitive response, and i dont want to miss buying the CF30s if i fail to jump on it in time.

Will CF-30s match my Veritas Mini center? Found a pretty good deal locally. With the 2 models match? or will the timbre just sound off?

CF-30
  • 43hz - 20khz ± 3dB
  • 90db
  • crossover@2khz, 1.6khz

Veritas Mini Center
  • 78Hz-25kHz ± 3dB
  • 93.5dB
  • crossover point 2.5kHz

The matching center for the CF-30 is the CC-10 which has these specs
  • 60Hz - 20KHz
  • 89 dB
  • crossover 2.2kHz

Spec wise..the cc10 and the vmini center are kinda similar ha
I can probably sell my vmini left/right bookshelves for more than the cf30s. Wondering if the CF-30s will deliver bigger/deeper sound just because they have 2x5.5" woofers as opposed to the 1x4.5" woofers the minis have. That and if itll integrate better with my SVS PB-1000 sub.

Price for the CF30 pair is $200CAD i found locally

Thoughts?
jerrolds is offline  
post #51994 of 52295 Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 132
The CC-10 will be a better match sonically.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is online now  
post #51995 of 52295 Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
jerrolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So it is not worth matching the CF30s up with the vmini center? Will my experience lessen?
jerrolds is offline  
post #51996 of 52295 Old 06-09-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 132
It's always best to timbre match the front soundstage. The V-mini has a different sound than the CF-30 and CC-10. That said, the CF-30 will afford you bigger sound than the V-mini bookshelves, so I would upgrade to the CF-30's and get a CC-10, or CC-5, and sell the V-minis and V-mini-c as a set.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is online now  
post #51997 of 52295 Old 06-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
kgallerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

It's always best to timbre match the front soundstage. The V-mini has a different sound than the CF-30 and CC-10. That said, the CF-30 will afford you bigger sound than the V-mini bookshelves, so I would upgrade to the CF-30's and get a CC-10, or CC-5, and sell the V-minis and V-mini-c as a set.

Or keep them and use them in a different setup biggrin.gif
kgallerie is offline  
post #51998 of 52295 Old 06-09-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Agreed.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is online now  
post #51999 of 52295 Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Senior Member
 
r3v3nant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am loosing my mind I think... I can't get any of the SVS subs I have tried to sound the way I like... my mains sound really good but just need that low end punch in the chest I love when I crank it.. the SB12 (sealed) was the closest in some situations and the PC12 (cylinder) comes through in other situations.. but the damn polk works in both, goes low, has punch and has a nice small footprint. I know these other subs are higher end equipment but maybe it's the room harmonics... I dunno. Maybe what I need is a ported front firing sub, but the SVS options in this arena are HUGE and I have kind of a small spot for the sub. The PC12 sounded best corner loaded but that made for some awkward placement of chairs in the room.. the polk sounds great right in the spot I have carved out for a sub... gah!

well... I need to take a break from moving subs all over and just chill for a bit... maybe try again next week or something.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV

Last edited by r3v3nant; 06-11-2014 at 11:30 PM.
r3v3nant is offline  
post #52000 of 52295 Old 06-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post
I am loosing my mind I think... I can't get any of the SVS subs I have tried to sound the way I like... my mains sound really good but just need that low end punch in the chest I love when I crank it.. the SB12 (sealed) was the closest in some situations and the PC12 (cylinder) comes through in other situations.. but the damn polk works in both, goes low, has punch and has a nice small footprint. I know these other subs are higher end equipment but maybe it's the room harmonics... I dunno. Maybe what I need is a ported front firing sub, but the SVS options in this arena are HUGE and I have kind of a small spot for the sub. The PC12 sounded best corner loaded but that made for some awkward placement of chairs in the room.. the polk sounds great right in the spot I have carved out for a sub... gah!

well... I need to take a break from moving subs all over and just chill for a bit... maybe try again next week or something.
Outlaw LFM1-EX, on sale for $599 shipped.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html
Gmash is online now  
post #52001 of 52295 Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Rgdeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The desert
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Tradeoffs/compromises need to be made somewhere dude, I'm sure that has already been said. I somehow managed to get my second ported 12" SVS sub fit into my room and (barely) got the thumbs up from the wife.
Rgdeuce is offline  
post #52002 of 52295 Old 06-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
r3v3nant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgdeuce View Post
Tradeoffs/compromises need to be made somewhere dude, I'm sure that has already been said. I somehow managed to get my second ported 12" SVS sub fit into my room and (barely) got the thumbs up from the wife.

I removed all the stuff from the room on the wall the audio is on and tried the SVS in every spot the rest of the gear was not.. it sounded best corner loaded on the right, I could hear the bass and it got low but I couldn't feel the bass at all... it didn't hit you in the chest at all like the polk does, even at medium volumes.. the other thing is the bass was very easy to hear outside of our house whereas with the polk in it's little left of the left speaker spot didn't project bass outside nearly as much...

I dunno.. I think I need to take a break from this and just come back to it in a week or something with a more fresh perspective... I am getting to that level of obsessiveness that nothing good comes out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Outlaw LFM1-EX, on sale for $599 shipped.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html
yeah - I am thinking this is the route I should have gone.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
r3v3nant is offline  
post #52003 of 52295 Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Rgdeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The desert
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I hear you on the obsessiveness, lol. That is interesting you can hear the bass easily outside. I'm sure it will change when my second ported SVS gets here, but when I play my setup I can be on the back patio and not hear any bass at all, living in a new tract stucco/wood framed home. You can tell I am blasting a movie, but you wouldnt be able to guess I had any sub in the home. I'm hoping that is the case for the neighbor too, I'd feel bad because they are an older couple. They are rather recluse, but I think once I get my second dialed in I will walk over just to make sure I am not pissing them off.
Rgdeuce is offline  
post #52004 of 52295 Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
r3v3nant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
yeah - that shocked me because this house is built like a fortress and I can CRANK it with my other sub and it's not bad outside which was great... with the SVS you can hear the bass outside a lot more... I think because the tube is shooting the sound up and down and not out, away from the wall. Granted the polk is rear ported but the port is right by a part of the back wall that is very thick next to a brick fireplace chimney.. so I think that's absorbing a lot of the sound energy..

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
r3v3nant is offline  
post #52005 of 52295 Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post
yeah - that shocked me because this house is built like a fortress and I can CRANK it with my other sub and it's not bad outside which was great... with the SVS you can hear the bass outside a lot more... I think because the tube is shooting the sound up and down and not out, away from the wall. Granted the polk is rear ported but the port is right by a part of the back wall that is very thick next to a brick fireplace chimney.. so I think that's absorbing a lot of the sound energy..
No... You can hear the SVS subs outside because they are putting out more output at lower frequencies... the lower frequencies have much longer wavelengths... which pass through structures more easily... the SVS subs are probably putting out a flatter response over a broader frequency range as compared to your existing sub... but what you have gotten used to and learned to prefer is the pronounced output in the slightly higher frequencies that your sub puts out in the "chest slam" frequencies... which are getting bounced around your particular room and being loaded into a big peak... And if that is the case, so be it... especially if it sounds best to you! Are you running any sort of room equalization? Audyssey, MCACC, etc?
deano86 is offline  
post #52006 of 52295 Old 06-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
r3v3nant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
wow the forum update is weird. Anyways.. that's a great and well thought out response.. I think that's the case exactly.. I don't run any room calibration - the Outlaw is 10+ years old and I am pretty sure there's no auto room calibration in it.. but it does have speaker distances in the setup menu section.. I set the fronts to 6 feet which is about right.. the front L and R are at 0db gain and the sub I had to pump up a bit to 7 to get good signal from it. I cross the mains at 60hz which seems to be the sweet spot to my ears.. The prepro is a little old but it sounds really good... *and* it was cheap - easy way to get into prepro + mono amps setup..

I am thinking.. maybe all I need is just that little low end punch that the polk gives.. my mains are putting out a lot of sound... they sound amazing... anyways.. I am getting near tailspin mode with this so I need to just take a breather and revisit next week.

thanks for all of the replies and advice.. this Energy thread has some great people in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
No... You can hear the SVS subs outside because they are putting out more output at lower frequencies... the lower frequencies have much longer wavelengths... which pass through structures more easily... the SVS subs are probably putting out a flatter response over a broader frequency range as compared to your existing sub... but what you have gotten used to and learned to prefer is the pronounced output in the slightly higher frequencies that your sub puts out in the "chest slam" frequencies... which are getting bounced around your particular room and being loaded into a big peak... And if that is the case, so be it... especially if it sounds best to you! Are you running any sort of room equalization? Audyssey, MCACC, etc?

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV

Last edited by r3v3nant; 06-12-2014 at 11:55 AM.
r3v3nant is offline  
post #52007 of 52295 Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Member
 
voxx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Chasing sonic perfection is like chasing your tail ...as I found out when incessantly modding a wah wah pedal to get that perfect sound.

After a few weeks of changing resistors and transistors to the point of installing sockets for all of them to make changes quickly, I realized that I should just settle for something I liked and not try to improve on it. I've been happy with it ever since.

It was fun while it lasted, but eventually the "quest" was wearing thin.
voxx1 is offline  
post #52008 of 52295 Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Senior Member
 
r3v3nant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
well put... yeah, it was funny as I was pulling out of work the other night I thought I was kind of frustrated about the sub situation again... and I thought just a little more than a week ago I was just excited about my setup and enjoying it... what the heck happened?

well, I decided to get some art to go on that giant blank spot above the fire place. I think it's fitting. Oh and I am "testing" a Kilpsch sw-112 in my setup... it sounds the best out of all the subs I have tried.. So I I'll probably end up with a PB-1000.. front firing front ported seems to sound very good in this space.

edit: the sw-112 rattled in the back during deep bass passages - but aside from that it's an ok sub but still just makes kind of a "thud" sound for bass that's not too articulate with certain music.. for electronic it's pretty good... for rock it's a one sound wonder.. It's a small step up from the Polk in terms of tightness though... SVS has been so cool to me I really want to give them my business so am going to try a PB-1000 and *hope* the 3rd time is the charm with them. I feel less like I am chasing my tail now and just enjoying listening and trying out different configs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1077.JPG (270.0 KB, 46 views)

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV

Last edited by r3v3nant; 06-15-2014 at 04:40 PM.
r3v3nant is offline  
post #52009 of 52295 Old 06-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Newbie
 
bigswell6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Aloha,
Anyone looking to part with their RC-R's?
bigswell6 is offline  
post #52010 of 52295 Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post
well put... yeah, it was funny as I was pulling out of work the other night I thought I was kind of frustrated about the sub situation again... and I thought just a little more than a week ago I was just excited about my setup and enjoying it... what the heck happened?

well, I decided to get some art to go on that giant blank spot above the fire place. I think it's fitting. Oh and I am "testing" a Kilpsch sw-112 in my setup... it sounds the best out of all the subs I have tried.. So I I'll probably end up with a PB-1000.. front firing front ported seems to sound very good in this space.

edit: the sw-112 rattled in the back during deep bass passages - but aside from that it's an ok sub but still just makes kind of a "thud" sound for bass that's not too articulate with certain music.. for electronic it's pretty good... for rock it's a one sound wonder.. It's a small step up from the Polk in terms of tightness though... SVS has been so cool to me I really want to give them my business so am going to try a PB-1000 and *hope* the 3rd time is the charm with them. I feel less like I am chasing my tail now and just enjoying listening and trying out different configs...
Was there a problem using the Polk Sub?
Seems like you were really satisfied before.
laserjock II is offline  
post #52011 of 52295 Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Fears4Ears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswell6 View Post
Aloha,
Anyone looking to part with their RC-R's?
Good luck finding some RC-R's. Many of us have tried.

I have a brand-new in-the-boxes never-opened pair of Veritas V-S Surround speakers I bought new in October of 2012. These are the speakers that replaced the RC-R Surrounds. Lots of people have been happy with this model paired with the RC-series. I would want $399 plus shipping from California.
Fears4Ears is offline  
post #52012 of 52295 Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
grizimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fears4Ears View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswell6 View Post
Aloha,
Anyone looking to part with their RC-R's?
Good luck finding some RC-R's. Many of us have tried.

I have a brand-new in-the-boxes never-opened pair of Veritas V-S Surround speakers I bought new in October of 2012. These are the speakers that replaced the RC-R Surrounds. Lots of people have been happy with this model paired with the RC-series. I would want $399 plus shipping from California.

I have my RC70s and LCR paired with the VS surrounds. They are VERY good speakers, and I would assume a very worthy substitute since the RC-Rs are nowhere to be found.

grizimes is offline  
post #52013 of 52295 Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Member
 
Big Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just purchased an setup a yamaha 3030 AVR

all my speakers are energy connoisseur, cf-70 front l/r, cc-10 center, cf-30 surround l/r, and cc-20 back surround l/r

i asked this question in the Yamaha 3030 owners thread, but got some strange responses...

when I ran the Yamaha YPAO calibration, it set my back surrounds l/r at a different crossover value than the other five speakers which it set at the same value???

should I change and make them all the same?
Big Shane is offline  
post #52014 of 52295 Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
viper186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shane View Post
i just purchased an setup a yamaha 3030 AVR

all my speakers are energy connoisseur, cf-70 front l/r, cc-10 center, cf-30 surround l/r, and cc-20 back surround l/r

i asked this question in the Yamaha 3030 owners thread, but got some strange responses...

when I ran the Yamaha YPAO calibration, it set my back surrounds l/r at a different crossover value than the other five speakers which it set at the same value???

should I change and make them all the same?
I frequent the Yamaha thread quite often, specifically the Aventege receiver thread as I used to have a 710BL. Ross is usually good with any questions in that thread. The simple answer is no, you should leave it the way it is, thats why Yamaha put the ability to have separate crossovers. I'd think your back surrounds are smaller so it's crossing them over higher? The default crossover point is usually 80hz for all speakers in a surround sound configuration with a capable sub. The long answer is also more complicated. If your rear surrounds have no problem getting down to 80hz, then you should have them all at 80hz. If they do which I think might be the case here, then you have to decide if it's better to say have the back surrounds at 100hz and the other 5 speakers at 80hz and miss some surround sound content or just raise all the crossover points to 100hz and let your sub handle everything below that. I hope this helps and if not I'm sure Batpig will chime in here soon to clear it up further.
viper186 is online now  
post #52015 of 52295 Old 06-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Newbie
 
bowler13joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking for a SINGLE RC-30. I was stupid a few years back and bought just one to use as a center speaker. Then, I scored a deal on an RC-LCR. So, now I have a single RC-30 hooked up to an older Optimus STAV-3000 receiver in my den. Sounds awesome in mono mode...just wish I had two!
bowler13joe is offline  
post #52016 of 52295 Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
r3v3nant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
it's ok, but for certain music you just get this BOOM BOOM sound with no articulation... so some of the time the bass blends well with the mains then sometimes it painfully doesn't..

Like for electronic music it's great... moslty certain types of rock (Heart, ELO, and 80s metal) all the bass sounds like a "thud" and it just doesn't blend well.. granted some of this can be blamed on the source material but most of the CDs I play are remastered good xfers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Was there a problem using the Polk Sub?
Seems like you were really satisfied before.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
r3v3nant is offline  
post #52017 of 52295 Old 06-17-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,503
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post
it's ok, but for certain music you just get this BOOM BOOM sound with no articulation... so some of the time the bass blends well with the mains then sometimes it painfully doesn't..

Like for electronic music it's great... moslty certain types of rock (Heart, ELO, and 80s metal) all the bass sounds like a "thud" and it just doesn't blend well.. granted some of this can be blamed on the source material but most of the CDs I play are remastered good xfers...
If that's important, have you thought of a mid-bass module? It might address what's missing for you.
hernanu is offline  
post #52018 of 52295 Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
r3v3nant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
If that's important, have you thought of a mid-bass module? It might address what's missing for you.
Oh wow.. that's pretty awesome but if you're recommending that along side of the PSW505, the only thing is I would still hear the non articulate bass sounds that I am trying to replace... I cross my RC-70s off at 60hz also and they do a nice job with those MA-700s driving the two bass drivers and I don't think they're even 1/2 way broken in yet.. maybe 1/2 way.. I need to start cranking the volume up more but the wife has been around a lot lol. sigh.

So SVS was super cool and I was able to return the two I tried and I have a PB-1000 on the way.. I think the 10" driver will deliver the punch I am looking for and that thing also goes down to 19hz so I'll get some low bass too... my eventual goal I think will be dual PB-1000s (one on either side of the mains). I think that will kick some serious bew-tay.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV

Last edited by r3v3nant; 06-17-2014 at 04:29 PM.
r3v3nant is offline  
post #52019 of 52295 Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Member
 
cerberus414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

So I finally got a replacement tweeter for my RC-70 (Current one is making some kind of crackling sound while trying to render violin music)

I know a while back someone posted a picture-by-picture guide of how a tweeter must be taken off and replaced with a new one. It might have even been in this thread, but I can't find it anymore as these forums have changed drastically. Can somebody help me out with a link

I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!
cerberus414 is offline  
post #52020 of 52295 Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
caloyzki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus414 View Post
Hey guys,

So I finally got a replacement tweeter for my RC-70 (Current one is making some kind of crackling sound while trying to render violin music)

I know a while back someone posted a picture-by-picture guide of how a tweeter must be taken off and replaced with a new one. It might have even been in this thread, but I can't find it anymore as these forums have changed drastically. Can somebody help me out with a link

I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!
I also just got my replacement tweeter the other day. And replaced the dented tweeter with the new one yesterday. Its just very easy to replace it. Just pull the wires and thats it. Plain and simple.
caloyzki is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off