AVS Forum banner
5M views 57K replies 3K participants last post by  caper_1 
#1 ·
Unless I missed it I have noticed there is no thread for Energy owners so I thought I'd start one.

Just a place to discuss information about what line of speakers you have, what you use them for (ie music, HT etc) and what system you match them with. Its also great to hear about the different lines that Energy carry and am curious to hear what owners have to say (like the new Reference Connoisseur for instance).

I am currently running the Take 5 system with the e:XL-S10 sub. However I have recently purchased the Connoisseur Line including:

Fronts: C-3 Bookshelf

Center: C-C1 Center

Surround: C-R3's.

I run the Take's with a Onkyo TX-DS656 Receiver (soon to be replaced) and a Toshiba DVD player. New LCD to make the whole package complete soon..:)

So, post your Energy set-ups and opinions.

Thanks

See less See more
#34,701 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aassad1 /forum/post/21336661

I 100% returned the speakers because of the sound. I really just didn't care for it at all. I could appreciate the detail and separation produced by the speakers but I thought the titanium tweeter was too "Tinny." Any music that had cymbals (read most music) was just overpowered by the overly metallic sound of the cymbals. You may be thinking to yourself, "But Tony cymbals are made out of metal!" And you would be correct, so I went to my basement and hit the cymbals on a drum kit I have and they didn't sound nearly as ear shatteringly shrill haha. I think one of the words to use for it is Sybilliant. So to make a long answer short, the decision to return the speakers was made about 2 weeks ago but I didn't have a chance to return them until Saturday. So no my fiance did not influence me in this haha.

It sounds like they can be just too bright for your tastes. I would definitely return them since you find them unable to reproduce sounds without bothering your ears. Both the RC series and the Veritas use aluminum tweeters, so since you are able to comfortably listen to the RC's, there has obviously been changes in the Veritas line. It doesn't surprise me one bit, if they are a brightened up speaker.

#34,702 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous /forum/post/0

It sounds like they can be just too bright for your tastes. I would definitely return them since you find them unable to reproduce sounds without bothering your ears. Both the RC series and the Veritas use aluminum tweeters, so since you are able to comfortably listen to the RC's, there has obviously been changes in the Veritas line. It doesn't surprise me one bit, if they are a brightened up speaker.

I sold my Veritas for the same reason....too bright

#34,704 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21335883

Very positive review of the Photon-8 at Audioholics .

I spent last night just watching Dexter and and Homeland. I am in LOVE. I cannot believe what my system sounds like with my new sub. I still don't have my Energy center channel. I've been using one of my M-Audio AV-30 studio monitor speakers as my center until I figure out how I am going to fit one in my setup.

#34,705 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I bought the Energy RC Micro 5.1CH Home Theater System from Newegg for $299.

After doing some research, I don't think I they will be powerful enough.

My living room is about 15' x 15' with 2 ways in and a slightly high ceiling. I thought these would handle it quite well, but after doing some light research, I think I should have paid the extra $100 more and got the Energy Take Classic 5.1 ones for $399 at Amazon.

Should I return them when they arrive in a few days? It will cost me $45 alone for the restocking fee, which is quiet upsetting.

I'm not looking for a window shattering system since I live in an apartment and have neighbors, but something that will knock my socks off and make my jaw drop. I want to FEEL the Lord of the Rings

I'm very new to the audio-receiver world, so please forgive me.

I watch movies, music and play games from my Xbox 360 and PS3.

Lastly, if I should keep it, can anyone recommend a few receivers starting under $500? I saw a Pioneer VSX-821-K on sale for $199 or a Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1 for $229, but don't know if these are good names or good buys.

Any help or suggestions would be fantastic!

Thanks!

-napski

#34,706 ·
if the Micros aren't making your jaw drop, the Take Classics won't either. The Micros are actually a higher end product and are only cheaper because of the current sale pricing... the Takes are slightly larger but not more "powerful" in the sense that you are thinking.

I'm a little unclear though.... Have you actually LISTENED to them? Or are you just second guessing yourself?

#34,707 ·
Napski (I was replying but got a phone call mid reply and see BP already replied).

Personally I think for only $300 how can you go wrong? If you are going from plain old tv speakers, you will probably be very happy! (are you not though...are you using some type of bookshelf speakers now?)

A concensus upgrade over both of those systems would be two pairs CB-5's bookshelfs, a CC-5 center and a random sub of your choice. (CB-5's have sold for $80 a pair many times this past year and the CC-5 has been on sales from $90-$120.)

I do not know what the difference is between the two subs between the Micro and Take sets that you are looking at. I just haven't looked at them recently.

I'm guessing you would be best served by saving the $145 and putting it towards another subwoofer, room treatments, or even better speakers in the future. I think the micros are considered to be crafted of slightly better materials anyways.

I'm guessing the RC-70 bundle is not a consideration? He he. If it is then, I would say return them and get that. Even if you had to run without a sub and go with the subless bundle ($1350) for a while, allowing you to save the additional $250 from the RC-70 bundle with the sub ($1600), that would be my ultimate suggestion for your total enjoyment.

To me $445 for the 5.1 Takes set is overpriced, while the $300 for the 5.1 Micros set is a steal (possibly even more so if you can get the 5.0 for less and find a better sub used or d.i.y., for the same price than what comes with that set.

(Btw, I go with Denon because I like the support I get with that brand from this website. And they seem to produce good avr's.)

#34,708 ·

Quote:

I 100% returned the speakers because of the sound. I really just didn't care for it at all. I could appreciate the detail and separation produced by the speakers but I thought the titanium tweeter was too "Tinny." Any music that had cymbals (read most music) was just overpowered by the overly metallic sound of the cymbals. You may be thinking to yourself, "But Tony cymbals are made out of metal!" And you would be correct, so I went to my basement and hit the cymbals on a drum kit I have and they didn't sound nearly as ear shatteringly shrill haha. I think one of the words to use for it is Sybilliant. So to make a long answer short, the decision to return the speakers was made about 2 weeks ago but I didn't have a chance to return them until Saturday. So no my fiance did not influence me in this haha.

I thought the Veritas had an alluminum tweeter like the RCs

#34,709 ·
Was just at the Energy web-site (hadn't checked it in a long while). Noticed that there are a limited number of original RC-Series models listed, including- ie. RC-10, RC-70, and RC-LCR. Is Energy reproducing these models now? Are they equal quality of original RC-Series? Or are they remaining stock? I would definitely be interested in a brand-new pair of RC-10's. Otherwise I may consider brand new Veritas bookshelf models.

#34,710 ·

Quote:

I thought the titanium tweeter was too "Tinny." Any music that had cymbals (read most music) was just overpowered by the overly metallic sound of the cymbals. I think one of the words to use for it is Sybilliant

interesting, thanks for your input. I am considering getting the new Veritas, was curious what owners were saying.

If you look around at other brands (even higher-end) I've seen similiar comments- ie. too shrill or sibilant on the high-end. So I guess its a matter of how sibilant. I'd still be curious to listen to them hooked-up in my 2-channel system (NAD C272 amp/C162 pre-amp). But I still may go for new RC-Series (RC-10's) if the build quality is still good.

#34,712 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 /forum/post/21338066

I'm guessing the RC-70 bundle is not a consideration? He he. If it is then, I would say return them and get that. Even if you had to run without a sub and go with the subless bundle ($1350) for a while, allowing you to save the additional $250 from the RC-70 bundle with the sub ($1600), that would be my ultimate suggestion for your total enjoyment.

Is there a subless bundle available? I thought the sub was packaged with the bundle. Vann's has increased the price on that bundle to $1899

#34,713 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/21338035

if the Micros aren't making your jaw drop, the Take Classics won't either. The Micros are actually a higher end product and are only cheaper because of the current sale pricing... the Takes are slightly larger but not more "powerful" in the sense that you are thinking.

I'm a little unclear though.... Have you actually LISTENED to them? Or are you just second guessing yourself?

No, I have not heard them at all.

I was just second guessing myself and wanted to see if anyone on here had them and what their opinions where.

I've never purchased speakers before, so I am a bit of a noob here.

So do you think the Micros would be good for a 15' x 15' room (ceiling is about 10' high)?

If so, what about a receiver?

Thanks!

#34,714 ·

Quote:

Personally i think for only $300 how can you go wrong? If you are going from plain old tv speakers, you will probably be very happy! (are you not though...are you using some type of bookshelf speakers now?)
I am listening to tv speakers only. Never had speakers, receivers or anything like that

Quote:

i'm guessing the rc-70 bundle is not a consideration?
Wow! Those are expensive! LOL! I have a very small budget at this point, plus ones you suggested would probably cause my neighbors to go insane...which would be hilarious.

Quote:

to me $445 for the 5.1 takes set is overpriced, while the $300 for the 5.1 micros set is a steal (possibly even more so if you can get the 5.0 for less and find a better sub used or d.i.y., for the same price than what comes with that set.
I can get the micros for $299.99 shipped, which i thought was good and maybe a good starter set. The Takes I can get for $400, but thought it was too much. I just have no idea about which make or model of a receiver is good to get under $400 besides the ones I mentioned before.

Quote:

(btw, i go with denon because i like the support i get with that brand from this website. And they seem to produce good avr's.)
Which denon receiver would be great for these speakers? I didn't really want to spend more than $400

#34,715 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/21338035

if the Micros aren't making your jaw drop, the Take Classics won't either. The Micros are actually a higher end product and are only cheaper because of the current sale pricing.

I bought a set of the Classics yesterday. Are you saying I could've gotten a higher end product from Take for a few bucks more? I paid $399 and the micros are on Amazon for $464. http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-Micr...3751674&sr=8-1

#34,717 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyh1026 /forum/post/21339946

I bought a set of the Classics yesterday. Are you saying I could've gotten a higher end product from Take for a few bucks more? I paid $399 and the micros are on Amazon for $464. http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-Micr...3751674&sr=8-1

I got the Micro's at Newegg on Sunday for $299 with a coupon code that just expired, but this coupon code ENER126 will bring it down to $349 for just a few hours more here

#34,718 ·
Have the energy veritas v5.1 been cheaper the $179ea. in the past?

#34,720 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/21340048

Never seen it cheaper in black but the V5.1 in rosenut has been $340/pr on one occasion.

You should probably jump on these prices, they're very good.

Id be getting them for $258 shipped. Vanns gave me a discount for some problems I had in the past. Id also be picking up the VS pair for $358. Id then have a 7.1 veritas system, although I dont really have room for the v5.1's right now...Id have to store them until I move or something or maybe use them for music in another room, but then id need to buy another receiver..hmmmm either way, I figure for these prices id better snag them now and think later.