post #52051 of 52456 Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandresen View Post
Hello, i have a 5.2 setup with Emotiva UMC 200 and XPA 5 with Enery RC50 fronts, Energy RC LCR center and the smaller RC10 as backspeakers. My problem is this, i have now had 2 energy RC LCR centers and both of them are blown :-( dont know why but i think its the mid range that are broken :-( I love wathing movies with a really high volume maybe that is the problem. My question to you guys is this, what kind of center can i buy that is a perfect match for my setup? that i can play really loud with? anyone who knows? i have thought about RC-62 II Center Speaker or RC-64 II Center Speaker but i dont know if it will be an good option.....
Why would you even consider buying another center channel speaker when you obviously have a major fault in your system? And why are you not sure what is wrong with your RC-LCR? What is the symptom you are hearing? Have you swapped the RC-LCR and one of the RC-50s to see if the symptom does indeed stay with the RC-LCR or is a problem with the center channel output itself...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52052 of 52456 Old 06-30-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Hello, i have a 5.2 setup with Emotiva UMC 200 and XPA 5 with Enery RC50 fronts, Energy RC LCR center and the smaller RC10 as backspeakers. My problem is this, i have now had 2 energy RC LCR centers and both of them are blown :-( dont know why but i think its the mid range that are broken :-( I love wathing movies with a really high volume maybe that is the problem. My question to you guys is this, what kind of center can i buy that is a perfect match for my setup? that i can play really loud with? anyone who knows? i have thought about RC-62 II Center Speaker or RC-64 II Center Speaker but i dont know if it will be an good option.....
How loud are you playing? The XPA 5 is rated at 200 watts RMS up to 119 db.

The RC-LCR is rated at 200 watts RMS. The RC-50 is rated at 225 watts RMS, the RC-10 at 175 watts RMS. Usually when you over drive a speaker it's due to not having enough amplification for the demand.

If the power specs for the XPA-5 are true, then given that you are driving these hard, and most of the signal in a movie go to the front three speakers, it seems like the RC-LCR is at the very edge of being overdriven at 200 watts RMS.

To keep using it at high volumes, you may want to use a monoblock amp for your center. The RC-62 II Center is rated at 150 watts, so it may hold up better with your amps, but it is a very different speaker than the RC-LCR or the other speakers you have.
post #52053 of 52456 Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Perhaps you should get your hearing checked?

Maybe you've blown your own eardrums as well as the LCR's midrange drivers.

The perfect match is the RC LCR or another RC-50. The Klipsch center is much brighter than the RC LCR.

Afro GT
post #52054 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Why would you even consider buying another center channel speaker when you obviously have a major fault in your system? And why are you not sure what is wrong with your RC-LCR? What is the symptom you are hearing? Have you swapped the RC-LCR and one of the RC-50s to see if the symptom does indeed stay with the RC-LCR or is a problem with the center channel output itself...?
Hello, well its a scratchy noise on high volumes in scenes where its talking and screaming, it sound like its blown , but nit the bass, its the mid tones i think. i have tried this yes to swap speakers and its the speaker and not the channel output.
post #52055 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
How loud are you playing? The XPA 5 is rated at 200 watts RMS up to 119 db.

The RC-LCR is rated at 200 watts RMS. The RC-50 is rated at 225 watts RMS, the RC-10 at 175 watts RMS. Usually when you over drive a speaker it's due to not having enough amplification for the demand.

If the power specs for the XPA-5 are true, then given that you are driving these hard, and most of the signal in a movie go to the front three speakers, it seems like the RC-LCR is at the very edge of being overdriven at 200 watts RMS.

To keep using it at high volumes, you may want to use a monoblock amp for your center. The RC-62 II Center is rated at 150 watts, so it may hold up better with your amps, but it is a very different speaker than the RC-LCR or the other speakers you have.
The first RC LCR was blown when i used my other amp its a Yamaha RXV 1800 same thing here :-( But why would it help with a monoblock? I think its tsrange that my fronts has always been great not one scatchy noise ever.

What is the diffrence between those speakers and is it any other you reccomend?
post #52056 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Perhaps you should get your hearing checked?

Maybe you've blown your own eardrums as well as the LCR's midrange drivers.

The perfect match is the RC LCR or another RC-50. The Klipsch center is much brighter than the RC LCR.
Nothing wrong with my ears :-) But will the klipsch do a good job in my setup or not? what will i hear as a diffrence?
post #52057 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Klipsch is total opposite sound from the RC series. If you are determined to go with a different brand I would try something like PSB maybe.
post #52058 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 PM

Have been thinking about buying the klipsch rf7, and klipsch rc 64 is that a good option?
post #52059 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi - thanks for your suggestion on the buttkicker. Sort of like the "force feedback" system on video game console controllers, but way more powerful. I have however found my dream sub.. the PB-1000 is everything i wanted in a sub for this system... it's quick, hits hard, goes extremely low, and blends seamlessly with the mains... it had a little break in period (or maybe it was my ears breaking in) so every time I listened to the system over the last week or so the sub seemed to keep sounding even better and better. I am really happy with it.

As for the double bass effect, that only happens when I run analog sources on my prepro which is rarely. It doesn't seem to sound too bad - nothing sounds like it's cancelling out - if anything there's more bass.. I mainly do this to stream MP3's from a laptop connected to AUX1 so my wife can control the music from her phone with AirPlay if she wants.. we don't turn it up too loud when we're doing this as and I haven't spend a lot of time really listening to it... Anyways, I mainly listen to CDs through an optical input so the digital bass management is in control and I cross the mains at 60hz.. that seemed to sound best to me. With that sub I feel like I have a quality speaker and amp handling the low end now.. Kind of brought it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb4467 View Post
Hi,

I think I'm quite late to this conversation...and I "think" you already found a combination that worked for you -- but is it 'bass feeling' that you weren't quite getting / feeling?
I've never used one, but a buttkicker might be the solution that works great for you. Downside is I think you have to have particular furniture to put them with...but people do speak highly of them. I have never felt / used one myself.

With my own experiences, I didn't feel I was getting the bass I wanted, but thought that was as good as it would get. Then having a second sub (with the two calibrated) smoothed out the curve and I've been extremely happy since. I know you said your Outlaw doesn't have calibration, but I am sure there are other solutions that might get you there as well.

Batpig pointed out (and I think it was true) that when I had my one sub, I had my receiver set (for 2ch listening) to have the L/R outputting full-range, along with the bass from the sub. Most people view that as a 'double-bass' and somewhat of a fallacy in making things sound better...and actually a problem, but batpig mentioned that it may have filled in some of the range where the low freq waves were canceling each other out.
Funny to think of bass waves visually, but it made sense on a graph...and it did sound better to me...so that might help you out a bit too, in potentially tweaking your crossover settings & any optional settings your receiver offers in that arena.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #52060 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Have been thinking about buying the klipsch rf7, and klipsch rc 64 is that a good option?
Perhaps posting that question in a Klipsch thread will give you the info you need.....

Have you checked with Energy to see about the availability of a replacement midrange driver modules for your RC-LCRs?... or just talked to someone in tech support to see what their thoughts were as to what is going on?
post #52061 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yeah I was going to say... wrong thread for that question.

Just listening to Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms now.. what a beautiful CD... sounds so good.. makes my ears melt like warm butter... really shows off how laid back these RC-70s are yet lethal in power and articulation when they need to be. Good stuff!

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #52062 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just finished listening to my 1st audio system I bought way back in 1978. I still have the Pioneer SX-1080 receiver and the Pioneer HPM 100's version B. Big 12 inch bass drivers in those. Used to think those were great for many years until I stumbled across this thread a few years back. Still fun to listen to that old setup once in awhile or some of my other old gear from the late 70's.

This new classified section is confusing to some degree so going to post it here as well. Im in Colorado and Im looking for a pair of Veritas 1.8 or V-2.4i. PM me if anyone has an interest in selling. Will travel into Kansas or Missouri.

Ive got some stuff
post #52063 of 52456 Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
aanderson ..I went against conventional wisdom and bought a Klipsch RC500B to go with my RC70 speakers. I was looking for something bright for the center channel. I set the level a tad lower than the front sides and I get just the sound stage I like.
Maybe it's what you may need if you find your center channel is not audible enough or if you find you crank it up more than the others ...enough to blow it.
I do find it strange that you've blown 2 already ..
post #52064 of 52456 Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone want to sell me a pair of v5.1s? I can't seem to find them and have been looking for awhile. I would also be interested in a pair of v mini if they are in black. Future shop has them for $149.99 a piece through today but unfortunately they don't ship to the U.S. dang it! the one place I found these won't allow me to purchase them...unless a nice person in Canada would ship them for me . any takers??
post #52065 of 52456 Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Anyone want to sell me a pair of v5.1s? I can't seem to find them and have been looking for awhile. I would also be interested in a pair of v mini if they are in black. Future shop has them for $149.99 a piece through today but unfortunately they don't ship to the U.S. dang it! the one place I found these won't allow me to purchase them...unless a nice person in Canada would ship them for me . any takers??
I would be willing to help, but I only see the the v-mini-c on sale for $140 and it's on sale until the 10th and no online stock remaining. The v-mini bookshelf is $230 each.
post #52066 of 52456 Old 07-02-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
I would be willing to help, but I only see the the v-mini-c on sale for $140 and it's on sale until the 10th and no online stock remaining. The v-mini bookshelf is $230 each.
Thanks, I really appreciate the offer!! Looks like the sale ended today so I missed the special pricing. Darnit
post #52067 of 52456 Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Where are you located? I have a pair of black V5.1's that I'm thinking about selling. If the price is right you may convince me to make up my mind earlier than expected.
post #52068 of 52456 Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post
Where are you located? I have a pair of black V5.1's that I'm thinking about selling. If the price is right you may convince me to make up my mind earlier than expected.
Hey thanks for your reply! I sent you a pm
post #52069 of 52456 Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Im also looking for 1 or 2 of the V5,2 and a pair of V5.1 in black. Also would be interested in a pair of V2.2i.

Ive got some stuff
post #52070 of 52456 Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post
You definitely get it and live it, Fears4Ears. Music can be a hair tingling experience on your neck and arms with an exciting amount of stomach butterflies, when things are done right. Some formats deliver the experience better than others.
These titan speakers are currently split up for now, but I will have them altogether in a dream set up in the future. I am still on the prowl for 2.8s.
Here are some pics of the Energy titans from old times and new.
What TT are you using with your Zphono?
Man, the mahogany fish does look spectacular...but truth be told, I think the 22's (that's the model, right? Can't recall for sure) on the end, to me, actually look the nicest out of the entire bunch. They definitely knew how to put together an attractive speaker back in the day.
post #52071 of 52456 Old 07-04-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
FYI, Fry's has the RC-10 for $210.00 pair now (in store only ).
post #52072 of 52456 Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Not many Fry's stores around, good price though

Ive got some stuff
post #52073 of 52456 Old 07-04-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Havent had my V2.2i's setup since I left Washington until today. Added a S12.3 to the mix
and put in some Little River Band, It's A Long Way There. Man forgot what that sounded like.
No matter what size old Veritas, they sure sound Sweet!!! My wife need to get back from Afghanistan before I end up on a splurge.

Ive got some stuff
post #52074 of 52456 Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
FYI, Fry's has the RC-10 for $210.00 pair now (in store only ).
Yep, I was in my local Fry's this afternoon and saw the RC-10's for $210 also. Forgot to take a picture of the sign on the speaker.

Afro GT
post #52075 of 52456 Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Anyone else interested in selling a pair of v5.1s? I will pay good money for them

Thanks

Last edited by mattdub1; 07-06-2014 at 07:22 PM.
post #52076 of 52456 Old 07-07-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
The VERITAS V 5.1 have a great sound, I had the V towers and bookshelf but the bookshelf tweeters are not as loud or foward like the towers, the 5.1 tweeter blends nice with the woofer, the tweeters on the towers are not perfectly balanced with the mids and low ,it sound too loud or foward,an L-pad will be a great idea for the towers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r80b.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	151042  

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-07-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #52077 of 52456 Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
The VERITAS V 5.1 have a great sound, I had the V towers and bookshelf but the bookshelf tweeters are not as loud or foward like the towers, the 5.1 tweeter blends nice with the woofer, the tweeters on the towers are not perfectly balanced with the mids and low ,it sound too loud or foward,an L-pad will be a great ideal for the towers.

Whats your thoughts on the V5.2 tweeters?

Ive got some stuff
post #52078 of 52456 Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Someone locally has a pair of Energy 3.1e's for $20. Worth it for a garage or bedroom pair? They look to be in very nice shape, other than one grille has a loose piece of fabric that I can probably fix with some hot glue or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00h0h_8IoZ2XCN7yr_600x450.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	151377  
post #52079 of 52456 Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, they're easily worth $20 per pair. I bought some 2.1e for $45/pr a couple years ago and considered that a bargain. They sound great.

The 3.1e is even larger with a 8" woofer. They'll sound better than a lot of speakers in the $200 below range. What receiver will you be using?

There are a couple pair of 3.1e's on ebay going for $180 shipped so consider $20 an extremely good deal.

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 07-07-2014 at 09:25 AM.
post #52080 of 52456 Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Yeah, they're easily worth $20 per pair. I bought some 2.1e for $45/pr a couple years ago and considered that a bargain. They sound great.

The 3.1e is even larger with a 8" woofer. They'll sound better than a lot of speakers in the $200 below range. What receiver will you be using?
Hadn't really been that far along in the thought process, honestly. It will likely either be a vintage Pioneer SX-3700 (Fluoroscan!) that I'm cleaning up, or my little NAD 7225PE with it's staggering 25WPC (that blows away most of my modern stuff power-wise).

Thanks for the info! I had checked eBay, but it showed nothing historically as having actually been sold in a search for "Energy 3.1e". Still, they seem like a great deal for $20, and I've contacted the seller.

Last edited by sanjoelo; 07-07-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page