AVS Forum banner
5M views 57K replies 3K participants last post by  caper_1 
#1 ·
Unless I missed it I have noticed there is no thread for Energy owners so I thought I'd start one.

Just a place to discuss information about what line of speakers you have, what you use them for (ie music, HT etc) and what system you match them with. Its also great to hear about the different lines that Energy carry and am curious to hear what owners have to say (like the new Reference Connoisseur for instance).

I am currently running the Take 5 system with the e:XL-S10 sub. However I have recently purchased the Connoisseur Line including:

Fronts: C-3 Bookshelf

Center: C-C1 Center

Surround: C-R3's.

I run the Take's with a Onkyo TX-DS656 Receiver (soon to be replaced) and a Toshiba DVD player. New LCD to make the whole package complete soon..:)

So, post your Energy set-ups and opinions.

Thanks

See less See more
#34,722 ·
Okay, im trying to get rid of my CF70s, CC10, and CB5 set so i can score some RC10s from Vanns. Then i saw the Veritas V5.1 were on sale as well. Now im in a quandry and dont know what to get. I know the RC10s are HIGHLY regarded but the Veritas are higher end.

To give yall an idea of what i want, in my speakers, i like the Polk LSi7, i LOVE the B&W 685B, disliked the brightness of the Energy CB/CF series.

They will be powered by a Parasound 1205A, mainly for 2.0/2.1 music. I listen to pretty much all genres of music. Only thing im aware of is that the RCs are buttery smooth whereas the Veritas are a bit brighter, but of course, this is subjective. Any suggestions to which Energy speakers i should get?

#34,723 ·
Interesting discussion on the RC Micros. I ordered the 5.0 set from Newegg over the weekend for $150 using the Newegg $40 for $20 Google Offers coupon. Seems like a very good deal. For the sub I am planning on using the Energy ESW-C8 that I got for $100 from an earlier deal back in September. So I essentially am getting the RC Micro 5.1 set for $250. I believe the ESW-C8 and the ESW-CS8 are pretty much the exact same sub only the CS8 is in the piano gloss finish to match the RC Micro sats. So I am pretty happy to have picked up the RC Micro's for such a great price. I am going to be using them in a small bedroom setup (around 10 x 12) so they should perform very well. I also ordered the Yamaha RX-A700 receiver to use in this setup. Ordered that for $338 from Amazon yesterday. I just missed the RX-A800 $300 deal from Newegg from last week. So I figure the A700 is essentially the same as the A800 with a tad less power and a few other features that I am not interested in. I just had to pay $38 more to get it after missing the A800 deal.

Can't wait to get everything in and set up. I currently am using the Logitech Z5500 in this room (bought in 2007), but have wanted to move up to a receiver based system for a while. And when I saw the deal on the RC Micro 5.0 set for $170, while I was sitting on the $40 for $20 coupon, I figured now was the time. Should be quite a step up from the Logitech system, although it is a pretty darn good system in its own right. (if anyone is interested in my Z5500's let me know..they are going up for sale soon..in great condition).

Looking forward to playing with my new toys!

#34,727 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie /forum/post/21340757

Some of you might be interested in vanns deal of the day..... RC-70's for $499 each.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/de...c=dealoftheday

I'm sorely tempted. Does Energy make a speaker stand for these to use them as floor standing instead of bookshelf? If so, a link to that would be most appreciated.

And, the Vann's price is good only for the next five hours- so a link REAL soon would be REALLY most appreciated!

#34,728 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison /forum/post/21340807

I'm sorely tempted. Does Energy make a speaker stand for these to use them as floor standing instead of bookshelf? If so, a link to that would be most appreciated.

And, the Vann's price is good only for the next five hours- so a link REAL soon would be REALLY most appreciated!

RC-70's are floor standing speakers. They are almost 40" tall. I dont think you need stands for them

#34,729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie /forum/post/21340816

RC-70's are floor standing speakers. They are almost 40" tall. I dont think you need stands for them

bwhahahahah! My bad. I followed the Vann's link to the also nicely priced RC-10's and was actually speaking (no pun intended) about them! HAHAHA! Yeah, putting RC-70's on stands might be a bit much for some people, bud did I mention I'm on ogre who stands 10'7" tall?!?

Right now Vann's has the RC-10's at $279 for a pair. That seems like a great price and very doable for me...just not sure if I'd regret not buying a bigger floor standing model even IF I could find a suitable stand to put the RC10's up at ear height.

#34,730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison /forum/post/21340859

bwhahahahah! My bad. I followed the Vann's link to the also nicely priced RC-10's and was actually speaking (no pun intended) about them! HAHAHA! Yeah, putting RC-70's on stands might be a bit much for some people, bud did I mention I'm on ogre who stands 10'7" tall?!?

Right now Vann's has the RC-10's at $279 for a pair. That seems like a great price and very doable for me...just not sure if I'd regret not buying a bigger floor standing model even IF I could find a suitable stand to put the RC10's up at ear height.

Comparing pretty much any bookshelf speaker to a floorstander just isnt fair. In probably 99% of cases, the floorstander will be louder, fuller and have a better overall sound quality. If you have the $ and the space for the RC-70s, jump on them now. The RC-10 are great for bookshelf speakers, but they are still bookshelf speakers. The RC-70's would be far superior in just about everyway.

Heck....even my RC-30's are far superior in just about every way.

#34,731 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie /forum/post/21340939

Comparing pretty much any bookshelf speaker to a floorstander just isnt fair. In probably 99% of cases, the floorstander will be louder, fuller and have a better overall sound quality. If you have the $ and the space for the RC-70s, jump on them now. The RC-10 are great for bookshelf speakers, but they are still bookshelf speakers. The RC-70's would be far superior in just about everyway.

Heck....even my RC-30's are far superior in just about every way.

Good point. I also love the rosenut finish...so I think I'll pass on these and wait until my tax refund next year and go for the Veritas 6.3 in rosenut.

#34,732 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison /forum/post/21340859

How are you going to regret your purchase of RC-10s? Either you have a $1000 budget or a $400 budget? Only you can decide what you can afford... If you can swing the money for the 70's, then by all means get them! But, if your budget just won't allow for it, then the RC-10s are very good in their own right!

#34,733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison /forum/post/21340949

Good point. I also love the rosenut finish...so I think I'll pass on these and wait until my tax refund next year and go for the Veritas 6.3 in rosenut.

You can pre-order the rosenut RC-70's for $599 each if you want.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...res/542209126/

Not trying to sway your decision...... just pointing out other options for you.

#34,734 ·
Aww crud. With the prices of the RC-10s and RC-LCR right now, this makes me want to buy them so bad.

I would just have a situation where I need to sell my current pair of CB-10s and the CC-10 center speaker. They are only about 2 months old too.

#34,736 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie /forum/post/21340757

Some of you might be interested in vanns deal of the day..... RC-70's for $499 each.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/de...c=dealoftheday

Damn, that's a pretty nice deal right there. If I could have been patient for a couple of weeks I would have saved $200 on the pair I just purchased.

#34,738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshanjoshi /forum/post/21340477

Recently we had Hi-Fi Meet in Mumbai City, India.

Batpig is not only famous on this forum for helping us out but Batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary" are also famous and appreciated here for his support and help.

Kudos to you Batpig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve /forum/post/21340729

^I bought speakers off of a guy a few months ago, during which he mentioned his new Denon. I just looked at him and said "you check out batpig?"

Answer: "yep."

Batpig = house hold name.

hah! glad to know I'm international!
thanks guys....

EDIT: I just checked my google analytics data, and unsurprisingly Canada is #2 to the USA in number of visitors to my site (edging out those pesky Brits
), but India is #8, and #4 among non-natively English speaking countries (it's hard to top those tech crazy northern Euros).

#34,739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by napski /forum/post/21339457

No, I have not heard them at all.

I was just second guessing myself and wanted to see if anyone on here had them and what their opinions where.

I've never purchased speakers before, so I am a bit of a noob here.

So do you think the Micros would be good for a 15' x 15' room (ceiling is about 10' high)?

The Micros will be WAAAAAAAAY better than your TV speakers and should be plenty given your budget, room size, and the fact that you live in an apartment and can't crank it up. They are definitely a good "starter set" as you say. You will be shocked at how good tiny speakers like that can sound.

You have to understand that this is a real "enthusiasts" forum and there will always be push towards bigger, better, and more expensive... but that doesn't mean that a little sub/sat micro setup cannot sound really darn good. It's all about balancing your budget and expectations. A setup of tiny speakers like that cannot pound a big dedicated theater room and make it feel like you are in the movie theater, but they can sound really darn good in a small room and especially if you don't have a frame of reference for what bigger/better speakers can do.

If you find you want to upgrade in the future, you can always move the Micros to surrounds and get new front 3 speakers and a bigger subwoofer later on down the road.

Quote:
Which denon receiver would be great for these speakers? I didn't really want to spend more than $400

I would actually recommend you get an even cheaper receiver, given your budget. Unless there are specific features you want in the fancier model, you shouldn't be spending more on the receiver than on the speakers.

In terms of receiver, your needs are pretty basic -- you just need a 5.1 model that can handle HDMI switching. Every modern receiver will do this and will also provide an auto setup program to help you calibrate your setup. Then, you just have to decide what other features you want.... do you need 3D support? networking? a USB cable to plug in your iPod? or the ability to stream music wirelessly to it from your iPhone?

I would recommend watching out for open box clearance deals or steep sales going on right now, I bet you can get a really nice receiver for $250 or less.

For example, this Denon 1612 is a very nicely featured 5.1 model for $230 as a refurb from A4less (which is an authorized dealer so you still get 1-yr warranty): http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html