13Likes

post #52171 of 52182 Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I think it would be hard to find a better match for that setup, considering the need for something relatively small, easily ceiling-mounted and a good tonal match for the other speakers. Energy speakers in general are designed based on NRC principles derived from the research of Toole and others, and one of the three core principles is wide dispersion.

The other option could be to stay on the lookout for in-ceiling RC speakers; there was a model (RC-6Cst) which had dual tweeters that could be aimed separately to increase coverage. But I bet the RC/V-Mini's will work fine.
I have an all RC setup, 4 RC70s, RC-LCR, two pairs of RC-Rs. I was thinking of the Def Tech UIW RCS IIs. I was told they would be a good tonal match and they would work well for atmos ceiling speakers. What are your thoughts. I would cost me $1200 for two pairs. I was looking for the RC-8C but have not been able to find one pair let alone two.
PoshFrosh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52172 of 52182 Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So I'll say that I've been very pleased with my setup lately, and unless a killer deal for some 2.3i's in the cherry-veneer finish pop up somewhere, I think I'm likely set with all the speakers I currently have in my setup.
(I say the 2.3i's because of them being front ported, I would enjoy being able to put them closer to the wall...and I do love the cherry finish look!)

Anyway, the only thought I've been entertaining is either wides or heights (in the case of heights, either of DSX or PLII variety)...and what speaker might blend well in that scenario. Would some rc-micros be too small to really match the rest of the setup, or just for the 'expansion' that DSX would be doing would they be perfectly adequate? There's also v-mini's, but those look like they are pricey.
If my Fry's has a pair of RC-10's at that killer price people are mentioning -- and if they would be a good match -- I could perhaps pick up those, as from my understanding they can be wall mounted (if I did heights).
Lastly, if the only real speaker that would match in the setup is other vintage veritas, I could be on the lookout for some Veritas 2.1's, perhaps? I had an interest in that pair up in LA for that exact reason, but that didn't go through.

I've been reading up on DSX and PLII options. Seems some people love them, and some people found them to be a waste & wish they hadn't bothered. Then again, a lot of people kind of say that about surround back speakers as well, and I love mine; even when derived via PLII, I find it them to add quite a bit of immersion...so would love to give heights or wides a try.

Haha, well being fully honest...I'd actually love to go full 11.2 and max out my receiver's capabilities with wides AND heights...but that would require an external amp for two channels. Not totally against that, but then I'd be veering into pretty expensive territory I'd imagine...

Any thoughts are very welcomed and appreciated.
And if I'm going bonkers and should stop...do let me know, too...

Last edited by johnb4467; 07-17-2014 at 09:32 PM.
post #52173 of 52182 Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Nobody at AVS will think you are bonkers

Honestly, if it were me and I was being forward looking, I'd be preparing for an Atmos setup if at all possible. A year or more ago I would have been gung-ho about pushing out with DSX, but it seems inevitable that PLIIz, DSX and other expansion matrix will soon be somewhat obsoleted by object audio.

That said, if your local Frys has them in stock grabbing a pair of RC-10s for under $150 with tax seems like a no brainer. They will be a "close enough" match for wide or height use if you want to play around with DSX or PLIIz while observing the shifting landscape. Worst case you can sell them for 100 bucks in a couple of years and look at it as a $50 rental that let you explore "beyond 7.1" for the interim. And maybe by that point the next gen of Atmos processors will support a 9.2.4 layout with 13 channels and you can keep the wides

But back to Atmos, if you can accommodate in ceiling speakers, I would just be keeping an eye on eBay for veritas in-wall/ceiling speakers which do come up now and then.

Aaaaand... Speak of the devil, I just checked, and there's a seller in LA selling five veritas in-walls on eBay. Two V2.1 ( two way in wall) and three V2.2 (three way with the CSM). No reserve. Something to consider. Depending on the room layout and your hole chopping capabilities you could even use those as stealth wides or heights.
PoshFrosh likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #52174 of 52182 Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And since I'm cruelly spending other people's hypothetical money, I will note that there's a pair of v2.3i (gloss black though) for $750 in Chino: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/4540618000.html

(Usual caveats about verifying actual i-series status apply)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #52175 of 52182 Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr369 View Post
I have an all RC setup, 4 RC70s, RC-LCR, two pairs of RC-Rs. I was thinking of the Def Tech UIW RCS IIs. I was told they would be a good tonal match and they would work well for atmos ceiling speakers. What are your thoughts. I would cost me $1200 for two pairs. I was looking for the RC-8C but have not been able to find one pair let alone two.
I'm operating heavily in speculation land having never heard them, but I'm a little concerned reading their description about them being designed to sound like they are in front of you and not above you. With the opposing facing drivers and crazy dispersion design I wonder if they will be counterproductive to the desired Atmos effect.

Also in general I'm not sure Def Tech is a great tonal match for Energy. Obviously Energy in ceilings at the RC-or-better quality level are rarer but I'd probably look to brands originating from the NRC clan with similar espoused design principles like PSB or Axiom, both of whom offer in-wall/ceiling models. My gut is they would be a better tonal march to Energy.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #52176 of 52182 Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm operating heavily in speculation land having never heard them, but I'm a little concerned reading their description about them being designed to sound like they are in front of you and not above you. With the opposing facing drivers and crazy dispersion design I wonder if they will be counterproductive to the desired Atmos effect.

Also in general I'm not sure Def Tech is a great tonal match for Energy. Obviously Energy in ceilings at the RC-or-better quality level are rarer but I'd probably look to brands originating from the NRC clan with similar espoused design principles like PSB or Axiom, both of whom offer in-wall/ceiling models. My gut is they would be a better tonal march to Energy.
How about the Polk rc 80i?
post #52177 of 52182 Old 07-18-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Nobody at AVS will think you are bonkers

...I'd be preparing for an Atmos setup if at all possible...it seems inevitable that PLIIz, DSX and other expansion matrix will soon be somewhat obsoleted by object audio.

That said...RC-10s for under $150 with tax seems like a no brainer.

But back to Atmos, if you can accommodate in ceiling speakers, I would just be keeping an eye on eBay for veritas in-wall/ceiling speakers which do come up now and then.
Depending on the room layout and your hole chopping capabilities you could even use those as stealth wides or heights.
Quote:
And since I'm cruelly spending other people's hypothetical money, I will note that there's a pair of v2.3i (gloss black though) for $750 in Chino: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/4540618000.html
Glad I'm not bonkers...yet.
Atmos does sound promising. It will be interesting to see how its adoption comes along. Most blu-rays seem to have DTS-HD instead of Dolby...though of course that could change like it did with DVD to BD. I also slightly shudder at the thought of buying another receiver after having plopped down (for me) a small fortune on my 4311. Most every other piece of gear I've bought used.

I suppose mounting RC-10s on-ceiling [with brackets] would be ridiculous? My ceiling IS my roof (no attic), so unfortunately I can't go cutting into it in that regard.
I do, however, like your idea of "stealth" height & wides with those in-walls.
post #52178 of 52182 Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I suspect the RC-10 for $129. was an error...........they are $429. now!

If I was in the US and was faced with this I would take four pairs at $129............hopefully there is a chance in the future.
post #52179 of 52182 Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 351
^^^ ^^^
It wasn't an error, it was a 1 day clearance sale. Luckily I got to take advantage of it. Nobody buys those at $429/pr. Frys put them on sale for $199/pr occasionally.

I remember about $10 years ago Fry's had Polk Lsi speakers for $99 each. I couldn't believe it.

Afro GT
post #52180 of 52182 Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
^^^ ^^^
It wasn't an error, it was a 1 day clearance sale. Luckily I got to take advantage of it. Nobody buys those at $429/pr. Frys put them on sale for $199/pr occasionally.

I remember about $10 years ago Fry's had Polk Lsi speakers for $99 each. I couldn't believe it.
one day clearance sale?

Ok so now it likely means that almost all of the remaining available new stock has been depleted... Now watch the used stock prices soar

Now, I do hope they fall on a batch of veritases ( the newer ones ). I've missed futureshop's deal at 1000$ a pair of v6.3, and I'm whipping mysef ever since...

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #52181 of 52182 Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
one day clearance sale?

Ok so now it likely means that almost all of the remaining available new stock has been depleted... Now watch the used stock prices soar

Now, I do hope they fall on a batch of veritases ( the newer ones ). I've missed futureshop's deal at 1000$ a pair of v6.3, and I'm whipping mysef ever since...
You're in Canada so who knows? It could happen. The production run of new Veritas was much shorter than RC speakers though. Maybe youll get lucky and find someone selling some Veritas used.
Aarghon likes this.
post #52182 of 52182 Old 07-19-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry guys. Didn't think of that.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page