Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #52201 of 52205 Old Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 952
He's full of crap that the avr is the issue.

Before you determine that the tweeter is blown remember that the RC-10 has dual biwire binding posts. So make sure it's not something as simple as the shorting straps being loose. Try disconnecting the shorting straps and just connect the avr output to the top (tweeter) binding posts and see if it makes noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52202 of 52205 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalid7412002 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I would like some help regarding my (Left/Right) RC-70, (Center) RC-LCR, (surround) RC-10 setup that I purchased late April of this year.

Over the weekend I purchased a boom mic and decided to redo my odyssey setup to get a better calibration for my room. As I was running the 1 first position and it tested my surround right RC-10, I noticed that it sounded flat with and did not have that high pitched "chirp" that my other speakers had during the calibration. I ran it again and had the same result with that specific speaker. So I swapped the SR and SL wires in my AVR to see if it was channel dependent or speaker dependent. Turns out that specific speaker lacked the highs regardless of what channel I set it to in the AVR. I'm guessing the tweeter is shot on that RC-10.

So today I called energy and spoke with a gentlemen in the product support department and informed him of my issue. First he was highly surprised I bought an RC-10 setup as recent as April and he didn't know they were still being sold at Frys. Second he asked what AVR I was using and I told him I am using a Denon AVR-X4000 to power my 5.1 RC setup. He told that the RC-10 need 175 watts and that my AVR is most likely the issue, but wasn't able to explain why only one speaker was having an issue and not the others, especially the RC-70s. Instructed me to email them a receipt, description of the problem, and AVR that I am using.

His comments caught me off guard because everything I've read says these are highly efficient speakers and doesn't require a ton of power.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I suspect he might have been mistaken, but I'm in the wrong, I'd like to know so I can get external amps if need be to prevent damage to the other speakers.
He is indeed mistaken/misinformed. A denon x4000 is more than adequate for the entire rc series. Plenty of power unless your sitting far away and trying to play at reference level. Audyssey doesn't play test tones at reference so the damage must have occurred sometime before that.
post #52203 of 52205 Old Today, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Agreed with the other guys. You should call him back and tell him its a shame Audiovox has people like him taking technical calls. Thats just plain awful.
post #52204 of 52205 Old Today, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 952
It probably is rooted in the old adage that it's easier to destroy a tweeter by UNDERpowering it (clipped signal) than overpowering it. Yes, if you tried to push the X4000 so loud that its amps went into clipping, you could destroy a tweeter.

But making any sort of gross connection between the 175W max RMS rating of the RC-10 and the 125W/ch rating of the X4000 is asinine. That's like saying it's your fault you blew your tire because it's V-rated (149mph) and your car can't go faster than 115mph.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #52205 of 52205 Old Today, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalid7412002 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I would like some help regarding my (Left/Right) RC-70, (Center) RC-LCR, (surround) RC-10 setup that I purchased late April of this year.

Over the weekend I purchased a boom mic and decided to redo my odyssey setup to get a better calibration for my room. As I was running the 1 first position and it tested my surround right RC-10, I noticed that it sounded flat with and did not have that high pitched "chirp" that my other speakers had during the calibration. I ran it again and had the same result with that specific speaker. So I swapped the SR and SL wires in my AVR to see if it was channel dependent or speaker dependent. Turns out that specific speaker lacked the highs regardless of what channel I set it to in the AVR. I'm guessing the tweeter is shot on that RC-10.
This same thing recently happened to me with one of my Energy V-S's. I switched the tweeter from the other VS and the problem remained, so I figured the crossover was broken. I contacted Energy and they said it was unlikely, but that it did happen sometimes. They sent me a new crossover free. It completely fixed the problem.

That being said, the VS doesn't have dual binding posts, so first I would check on the RC10 is what bitpig mentioned about making sure the screws on the dual binding posts are tight and firmly holding the metal straps in place.

Energy Speakers' specs spreadsheet.

Corrections or additions? Please PM me and I will edit the document.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List