85Likes

post #52261 of 52712 Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Do you have a very large room? Maybe the speakers are just too far apart to give you that seamless effect.
About 21' by 11'. All the speakers are about 9'-10' from me, except the side surrounds which are about 5' to 6' away from the MLP. See diagram.

Any suggestions?

Energy Speakers' specs spreadsheet.

Corrections or additions? Please PM me and I will edit the document.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52262 of 52712 Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post
I just bought a esw-v8 sub that has a piano black finish on it. It came with some light scratches and a dented corner. I contacted energy and they were no help with the type of finish. I tried some maguires ultimate rubbing compound on the bottom (as a trial spot) to remove some of the light scratches and it worked great. So try that to remove the swirls, then go to the polish to shine it up, then put a coat of wax on for protection and you'll be good to go. Personally i would try the full process on the bottom first to make sure you like the results.
I'm curious how this turned out for you. I tried ultimate polish and followed instructions exactly. It seems to remove fine scratches but it clouded/hazed the finish slightly. I can see it especially when shining a flashlight or in good lighting in my room. I'm wondering if this happened BC its a very light abrasive polish which removes some of the lacquer? Thankfully i applied only on the bottom of the speaker. Only thing I can think of is to just apply a wax and hope for the best. I'm scared now to use any other polish based on these results, and I'm bummed if there is no way to cover/hide or remove the scratches and swirls

Last edited by mattdub1; 08-12-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #52263 of 52712 Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Veritas 2.8s $2500 Victoria, BC, Canada

Closest to home that I've seen these for sale since I started looking a few years ago. Too rich for my blood though.
post #52264 of 52712 Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 304
Hello people!

Like I've mentionned earlier, I'm on the verge of selling one of my energy rc70 sets ... I want to go from towers to bookshelves, since I've got nice subs that can indeed pick more job.

Did anyone went from towers to bookshelves as a primary setup? I listen to a lot of music, but movies are important too.

The main factor making me hesitate is I fear losing the "presence" of the towers. I guess sound quality/detail can certainly be bettered by a good bookshelf, but.... What about the impression of getting swarmed by sound waves from everywhere? Is it still attainable with less drivers pushing air?

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #52265 of 52712 Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I have RC-70's as fronts in one room and RC-10's as fronts in another room. The RC-70's are clearly the better speaker even when using a subwoofer in both rooms.

They're just fuller sounding with better mids. RC-10's and a sub will still sound very good though. If you can find a pair of RC LCR's they would be better than the RC-10s.

I see you have RC-70's as fronts and surrounds. If you're talking about replacing the surrounds with bookshelf speakers then its not a big deal as surrounds don't get that much content.

You will notice a difference though if you replace the RC-70 fronts with bookshelf speakers, especially with music.
Aarghon likes this.

Afro GT
post #52266 of 52712 Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
I don't think you can generalize here -- it depends upon the quality level. Obviously if you step down from the RC-70 to the RC-10 (the same speaker line, just going from the flagship tower to the bookshelf version) you are going to step down in sound quality. The RC-70 is much bigger, a 3-way design, and capable of much better dynamics. But if you went to a more expensive, higher quality bookshelf you may improve in other areas and end up with better overall sound quality. For example those who have owned both the RC-70 and Veritas V2.2i tend to think the Veritas bookshelf is better overall, with good subs taking over the bottom end you negate the bass advantage of the towers.

So it all depends on the specifics.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #52267 of 52712 Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I have RC-70's as fronts in one room and RC-10's as fronts in another room. The RC-70's are clearly the better speaker even when using a subwoofer in both rooms.

They're just fuller sounding with better mids. RC-10's and a sub will still sound very good though. If you can find a pair of RC LCR's they would be better than the RC-10s.

I see you have RC-70's as fronts and surrounds. If you're talking about replacing the surrounds with bookshelf speakers then its not a big deal as surrounds don't get that much content.

You will notice a difference though if you replace the RC-70 fronts with bookshelf speakers, especially with music.
That must be the fullness I'm feeling too... But do you at least get an advantage going with the bookies, since there is always trade-offs?

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy rc-mini heights
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
post #52268 of 52712 Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I don't think you can generalize here -- it depends upon the quality level. Obviously if you step down from the RC-70 to the RC-10 (the same speaker line, just going from the flagship tower to the bookshelf version) you are going to step down in sound quality. The RC-70 is much bigger, a 3-way design, and capable of much better dynamics. But if you went to a more expensive, higher quality bookshelf you may improve in other areas and end up with better overall sound quality. For example those who have owned both the RC-70 and Veritas V2.2i tend to think the Veritas bookshelf is better overall, with good subs taking over the bottom end you negate the bass advantage of the towers.

So it all depends on the specifics.
There is an awesome deal on some polk audio LSIM 703s... So the bass advantage wouldn't be that big... THey are bass performing bookshelves, being 3 way helps a little too, I think. I'm so mixed up haha

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
post #52269 of 52712 Old 08-15-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,
I have a pair of Veritas 5.1 and a Veritas 5.2 center. Yesterday my girl's niece crumbled all three tweeters by sticking her finger through the plastic guard.

Is there anything I can do to salvage these speakers? If I can replace the tweeters, anyone know where I can get them?

Thank you for any help or condolences.
post #52270 of 52712 Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
I'm curious how this turned out for you. I tried ultimate polish and followed instructions exactly. It seems to remove fine scratches but it clouded/hazed the finish slightly. I can see it especially when shining a flashlight or in good lighting in my room. I'm wondering if this happened BC its a very light abrasive polish which removes some of the lacquer? Thankfully i applied only on the bottom of the speaker. Only thing I can think of is to just apply a wax and hope for the best. I'm scared now to use any other polish based on these results, and I'm bummed if there is no way to cover/hide or remove the scratches and swirls
Sorry you werent happy with the results. I havent had a chance to finish mine yet beyond testing the rubbing compound on the bottom. Too much going on lately. The rubbing compound didnt leave any clouding or hazing for me.

I would try using the wax on the bottom and see if that helps the clouding/hazing. It cant hurt since its on the bottom. Good luck....i hope it works out for you.
post #52271 of 52712 Old 08-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmaria707 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a pair of Veritas 5.1 and a Veritas 5.2 center. Yesterday my girl's niece crumbled all three tweeters by sticking her finger through the plastic guard.

Is there anything I can do to salvage these speakers? If I can replace the tweeters, anyone know where I can get them?

Is the sound affected?
post #52272 of 52712 Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmaria707 View Post
Hi everyone,

Call Energy/Klipsch for parts...

United States
(866) 441-8208

Canada
(905) 513-7733

Afro GT
post #52273 of 52712 Old 08-15-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
Is the sound affected?
Haven't had a chance to really isolate and listen but from the little I was able to observe, yes. It sound recessed, not as bright. I'll take my Philharmonics out of the system and listen to just the energys tonight and get back.

Even if they didn't sound that bad, I'd like to replace the tweeters if it's possible. Veritas are nice looking speakers, to have a crumpled up aluminum dome tweeter is such an eye sore.

If i can't fix them then I might get sick. (with upgrade-i-tis)
post #52274 of 52712 Old 08-15-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Call Energy/Klipsch for parts...

United States
(866) 441-8208

Canada
(905) 513-7733
Took your advice and called them. I bought 3 replacement tweeter for 100 US. They should be here in 3 weeks.

Thanks for pointing me that way,
post #52275 of 52712 Old 08-15-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You're welcome. You might want to leave the grilles on with kids around. Pets too!

Afro GT
post #52276 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm buying a new house so I finally get to use the trio of RC-LCRs I picked up a couple of year ago and stashed in storage. I have 4 of the small Encore 5 sats that I could use for sides and surrounds mounted from the ceiling but I'd prefer to use new in-ceiling speakers asthetically. Anyone have suggestions for something that would work well with the LCR front stage? It doesn't need to be Energy. I'd love to stay under $300/set but could go up to $500 if it makes a significant difference.

Sub is currently the Encore 8 that came witht he Encore 5 set set so I'll be replacing that with something more substantial. The room is a big open main living space approximately 25' wide by 40' deep but the viewing area will only be about 15-20' deep. Any suggestions here - V-SW10? Not really interested in dual subs.
post #52277 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
I'm buying a new house so I finally get to use the trio of RC-LCRs I picked up a couple of year ago and stashed in storage. I have 4 of the small Encore 5 sats that I could use for sides and surrounds mounted from the ceiling but I'd prefer to use new in-ceiling speakers asthetically. Anyone have suggestions for something that would work well with the LCR front stage? It doesn't need to be Energy. I'd love to stay under $300/set but could go up to $500 if it makes a significant difference.
Unfortunately the RC series in-walls are long gone, but I would try for a brand that has a common heritage (Canadian, based on NRC research) like Mirage or PSB. Or something that is known for neutrality like Ascend or Axiom that will blend well with most speakers. Surround speaker matching doesn't need to be perfect and if you have a receiver with a good auto EQ program it will negate a lot of tonal differences that remain.

Doing a quick google search it looks like Mirage models are discontinued (like Energy they have been ruined by the Klipsch/Audiovox takeover) but PSB has a nice selection of in ceilings: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/round-in-ceiling
Or: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/square-in-ceiling

Looks like several would fit your budget: http://www.crutchfield.com/g_101500/...nd%7CPSB&avf=N

Quote:
Sub is currently the Encore 8 that came witht he Encore 5 set set so I'll be replacing that with something more substantial. The room is a big open main living space approximately 25' wide by 40' deep but the viewing area will only be about 15-20' deep. Any suggestions here - V-SW10? Not really interested in dual subs.
OMG that space will absolutely eat up a small 10" sub like the VSW. It doesn't matter how big the "listening area" is, the physics of long bass wavelengths mean the whole space needs to be filled. The only way to avoid that would be if you can place the sub nearfileld (e.g. right next to the couch as an end table or right behind the couch) in which case you don't need to pressurize the entire space.

Second there is absolutely no need to "match" the brand on the subwoofer, subs play at wavelengths that don't really have timbre so there is no issue sonically matching them to the speakers. Your only concerns should be getting enough woofage within your budget to meet your needs -- room size, desired output and extension, aesthetics and size/footprint. So forget about big box brands and go straight to the dedicated internet direct subwoofer manufacturers.

And if you aren't interested in dual subs (why exactly?) then you need a pretty bad ass subwoofer to have any chance at realistic cinema reproduction. If you could do duals you could probably be OK with two SVS PB-1000's ($950 with free shipping). But if only a single sub, at the very minimum you need to be in the $600-800 class of subs (Outlaw LFM-1 EX, HSU VTF-3, SVS PB-2000).

Probably the best value for sheer output for your huge space and sound quality for the dollar in a single sub would be the HSU VTF-15H: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #52278 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doing a quick google search it looks like Mirage models are discontinued (like Energy they have been ruined by the Klipsch/Audiovox takeover) but PSB has a nice selection of in ceilings: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/round-in-ceiling
Or: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/square-in-ceiling

Looks like several would fit your budget: http://www.crutchfield.com/g_101500/...nd%7CPSB&avf=N

And if you aren't interested in dual subs (why exactly?) then you need a pretty bad ass subwoofer to have any chance at realistic cinema reproduction. If you could do duals you could probably be OK with two SVS PB-1000's ($950 with free shipping). But if only a single sub, at the very minimum you need to be in the $600-800 class of subs (Outlaw LFM-1 EX, HSU VTF-3, SVS PB-2000).

Probably the best value for sheer output for your huge space and sound quality for the dollar in a single sub would be the HSU VTF-15H: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html
Thanks. I'll look at those PSB options.

Putting the sub near-field isn't an option and I don't want dual subs because of 1. cost, and 2. simply want to to keep things simple as this isn't a dedicated HT room - it's our main living space. The only potentially acceptable option for dual subs would be on either side of the screen against the wall either 6-8ft apart or 25' apart in the front corners. The front mains will only be ~6ft apart on either side the the flat screen unless it's okay to have them 20ft+ apart. $600-800 is fine for a sub budget.
post #52279 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'll look at those PSB options.

Putting the sub near-field isn't an option and I don't want dual subs because of 1. cost, and 2. simply want to to keep things simple as this isn't a dedicated HT room - it's our main living space. The only potentially acceptable option for dual subs would be on either side of the screen against the wall either 6-8ft apart or 25' apart in the front corners. The front mains will only be ~6ft apart on either side the the flat screen unless it's okay to have them 20ft+ apart. $600-800 is fine for a sub budget.
Better to have sides and rears matched - all the same, or spend more on one or the other for better speakers? I'm not familiar with 7.1 so don't know how important each set of speakers are.
post #52280 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Just to start with the obvious -- have to done the simple test of using a test tone played to the back speakers to make sure they are putting out normal volume (irrespective of actual program content)?
After some investigation, I think I found the source of my problem of not hearing rear surround effects.

In the MLP, facing forward, sound coming from SBL and SBR speakers seems to be coming from in front of me. If I turn my head very slightly to the side it then sounds like it's behind me.
Similarly, my front height speakers sounds appear to be coming from behind me. I'm pretty sure this it the source of my imaging problems.

I recently re-set them all up very carefully (diagram attached), following the recommended angles and that was when the problem started. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home_Theater_Atmos_Setup.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	217961  

post #52281 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This has probably been asked, but are the RC-10 / RC-70's from Frys of the exact same build and sound quality as those that were sold from Vanns back in the day?
post #52282 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC21 View Post
This has probably been asked, but are the RC-10 / RC-70's from Frys of the exact same build and sound quality as those that were sold from Vanns back in the day?
I just bought a pair for RC-10's from Fry's about a month ago and have a 5 year old pair that I bought from Vanns. The old pair is cherry and the new pair is black. Other than that they sound the same. Both pairs were designed in Canada but made in China.

I wouldn't be worried about buying a pair from Fry's. My RC-70's are from Fry's too.

I see the RC-70's are currently $299 each and the RC-10s are $229/pr
http://www.frys.com/product/7386304?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
http://www.frys.com/product/7777388?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Afro GT
post #52283 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The Fry's RC-LCR has the same sound quality as my older RC-70's (*4) but the finish on the RC-LCR is flawless vs the polishing scratches and surface imperfections of my RC-70's.

All of my RC-70's were bought at Future Shop in Canada in the last 4 years.
post #52284 of 52712 Old 08-18-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I can't believe how popular Energy speakers are on here! I've had RC10s,50, 70s, and LCR and they are a great bang for the buck speaker. Been using the 70's with LCR and Antimode'd Rythmik F15 (about to add a 2nd) with Pioneer AVR.

After a 2nd F15 it's going to be tough to make cost effective upgrades.

Batpig, what part of San Diego are you in? I moved down about a year ago from Portland, OR.
post #52285 of 52712 Old 08-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshFrosh View Post
After some investigation, I think I found the source of my problem of not hearing rear surround effects.

In the MLP, facing forward, sound coming from SBL and SBR speakers seems to be coming from in front of me. If I turn my head very slightly to the side it then sounds like it's behind me.
Similarly, my front height speakers sounds appear to be coming from behind me. I'm pretty sure this it the source of my imaging problems.

I recently re-set them all up very carefully (diagram attached), following the recommended angles and that was when the problem started. Any suggestions?
Last night, I was sitting slightly off center and I noticed I was able to hear things that sounded to be directly behind me. Interesting.

post #52286 of 52712 Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshFrosh View Post
Last night, I was sitting slightly off center and I noticed I was able to hear things that sounded to be directly behind me. Interesting.
I've been following along but honestly I'm at a bit of a loss. I have to imagine (based on your follow up posts) that there is psychoacoustic effect going on where your brain is getting "tricked" into locating the sound where it's not coming from....

Refresh me again. You have bipole/dipole side surrounds and RC-10 in the back right? And the problem is that you don't seem to hear effects BEHIND you (but there is no problem hearing the side effects)?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #52287 of 52712 Old 08-19-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peen View Post
I can't believe how popular Energy speakers are on here! I've had RC10s,50, 70s, and LCR and they are a great bang for the buck speaker. Been using the 70's with LCR and Antimode'd Rythmik F15 (about to add a 2nd) with Pioneer AVR.

After a 2nd F15 it's going to be tough to make cost effective upgrades.

Batpig, what part of San Diego are you in? I moved down about a year ago from Portland, OR.

I live in the Mission Hills / Hillcrest area (just north of downtown) and work up the coast in Solana Beach. Welcome to town hope you don't miss the rain!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #52288 of 52712 Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Oh cool! I've lived in Clairemont, Pacific Beach, Mission Hills and now Mission Valley.

And no, I don't miss the rain
post #52289 of 52712 Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I've been following along but honestly I'm at a bit of a loss. I have to imagine (based on your follow up posts) that there is psychoacoustic effect going on where your brain is getting "tricked" into locating the sound where it's not coming from....

Refresh me again. You have bipole/dipole side surrounds and RC-10 in the back right? And the problem is that you don't seem to hear effects BEHIND you (but there is no problem hearing the side effects)?
You have summarized it perfectly. I would only add that all speakers are at ear level (to prep for Atmos) and approximately equidistant (about 10 feet) from the MLP, except the side surrounds are closer (about 5 to 6 feet). Also, the side surrounds are slightly behind the MLP, not directly to the side (I've never been able to like 90 degree positioning on sides).

I have read that sounds coming from directly behind can psychoacoustically seem to come from in front (hence the lack of popularity for 6.1 surround), but I have the rear speakers separated as far as my room allows. In fact, they are in line with my fronts. I'm thinking maybe I should play with the toe-in a bit? Have the sound (lines perpendicular to the speaker face) converge slightly ahead of or behind the MLP? Or point them at the walls so I get reflected sound? I dunno. I too am at a loss.
I've already tried the multi-pole VS's set to bipole, dipole, and with the volume on the side midranges turned all the way down, which didn't seem to affect anything. But now I'm convinced that the side speakers are fine, it's the rear speakers that are causing the problem.

post #52290 of 52712 Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I think to some degree your expectations of what your rear surrounds are supposed to sound like may be exceeding what they are actually supposed to do. I also have rear surrounds and I find that it is very much soundtrack/source dependent with what sort of effects I notice from them...There are times that I will try to concentrate on what sort of sound effects are being emitted from the rear... and many times the effect can be subtle... really not very noticeable until i shut the rear speakers off. I find that the rear surrounds in my room seem to have a bigger role in filling in the hole in the overall ambient surround field than really wowing me with "around my head" discreet sound effects. But, then again I think it confirms what Audyssey found when it created it's surround expansion modes... The greatest effect comes from adding wides, then heights and lastly the rear surrounds... and no doubt in part to what your are experiencing... we are much more aware of sounds and locations coming from in front of us rather than from behind us....

With that being said, if you want to have more effect from those speakers, there is nothing wrong with cranking up the volumes on them a few decibels above what your room correction set them at... what does that do for your perception?

Last edited by deano86; 08-19-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page