38Likes

post #52291 of 52320 Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
I think to some degree your expectations of what your rear surrounds are supposed to sound like may be exceeding what they are actually supposed to do. I also have rear surrounds and I find that it is very much soundtrack/source dependent with what sort of effects I notice from them
Yes this is so true. Which makes it all the more difficult to evaluate the effectiveness of a particular layout. For any layout changes you make, you will have to listen to the setup for a *long* time with a lot of different source material to see the effect of the changes.

I seem to remember watching 7.1 BluRays where a character on screen was being repeatedly shot by someone who would be situated behind the camera/MLP and there were very loud and full gunshots from directly behind me. I remember thinking "I'm glad I got decent bookshelf speakers back there instead of something small that could only go down to 120Hz or so." I even seem to recall getting a similar effect from 5.1 material using PLIIx. But I haven't heard the effect in quite a while, and I just happened to have moved my speakers around. Perhaps something is "wrong" or perhaps I haven't listened to anything recently with aggressive rear sound.

So, maybe it's a matter of me discovering decent source material with which to test the issue. Not just movies, but a list of particular scenes from movies (at least some of which I own or could rent). I've been looking for such a list online, but have yet to find one.

Energy Speakers' specs spreadsheet.

Corrections or additions? Please PM me and I will edit the document.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52292 of 52320 Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got everything set up in new apartment!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140819_183636.jpg (170.3 KB, 72 views)
Aarghon likes this.
post #52293 of 52320 Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Nice Animal Pak
post #52294 of 52320 Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Pair of RC-R surrounds on ebay. Somebody JUMP!
post #52295 of 52320 Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fears4Ears View Post
Pair of RC-R surrounds on ebay. Somebody JUMP!

Will these work on stands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #52296 of 52320 Old 08-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 299
@ tang : they will work for sure.

But they are designed to be wall mount. On stands, you might find them too "localizable"... But again, depends on the user. Some people prefer direct effects rather than being surrounded by ambience... But I've had that kind of surrounds on stands in the past, and they did a ok job!

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #52297 of 52320 Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I noticed the RC-70s have foam padding inside the top port. At first I thought I had a stuck port plug, but it looks like both of my towers have them. Anyone know why they're there? What purpose do they serve?
mphfrom77 likes this.
post #52298 of 52320 Old 08-23-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I have a pair of Energy RC-10s in cherry that I might sell soon. In excellent condition. Before I list them on Craigslist and/or eBay, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone is interested. Local pickup in San Diego strongly preferred. I have the box, but will only ship if I can find an outer box (for double boxing). Buyer would pay shipping.

PM me if interested and for price details.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #52299 of 52320 Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still lll View Post
I noticed the RC-70s have foam padding inside the top port. At first I thought I had a stuck port plug, but it looks like both of my towers have them. Anyone know why they're there? What purpose do they serve?
It's part of the design. Mine has it too. Probably for insulation/dampening, reducing vibration.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 08-23-2014 at 03:55 PM.
post #52300 of 52320 Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Many (most?) speakers have fluffy insulation material inside for dampening.
post #52301 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
I have a pair of Energy RC-10s in cherry that I might sell soon. In excellent condition. Before I list them on Craigslist and/or eBay, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone is interested. Local pickup in San Diego strongly preferred. I have the box, but will only ship if I can find an outer box (for double boxing). Buyer would pay shipping.

PM me if interested and for price details.
If you have the original box and packing, RC-10s ship perfectly fine in only that... No need to double box..
post #52302 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed. Factory box has a very thick styrofoam cushioning all around the speakers and the corner of the box. And the box is pretty square. The problem with shipping in factory box was only with the long awkward boxes do the tower models.

Beaveav - is this the last of your energy speakers? Are we losing a member of the San Diego Energy crew?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #52303 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Hello people, I'm selling two energy rc-70 black ash sets , and an energy veritas v5.2c . Trying it here too since they don't sell at all on local ad sites!
Pics available on request.

Took care of them like babies, and they never were pushed hard. I'm in Canada, but I can ship anywhere... But shipping might get steep in certain areas! Just pm me if you are interested

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #52304 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Many (most?) speakers have fluffy insulation material inside for dampening.
Actually, they look EXACTLY as if someone has pushed one of the round foam plugs all the way into the top port and glued it there. I ASSUME that it serves the same purpose as stuffing a plug in and, therefore, you may not need to put a plug in the top port at all. Of course, it COULD be just a slice of foam to prevent chuffing or such, or just to tune the two ports differently, and, therefore, they ship plugs to actually reduce the volume of air heading out the back, if needed. I would stick them in there, just to be sure.

Last edited by Fears4Ears; 08-24-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: anal
post #52305 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
If you have the original box and packing, RC-10s ship perfectly fine in only that... No need to double box..
I halfway agree. The original packaging is pretty solid. But unfortunately I've seen even well-packed stuff get mangled by the shipping companies. They can be brutal. And I don't want to see such attractive speakers get damaged.

post #52306 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Agreed. Factory box has a very thick styrofoam cushioning all around the speakers and the corner of the box. And the box is pretty square. The problem with shipping in factory box was only with the long awkward boxes do the tower models.

Beaveav - is this the last of your energy speakers? Are we losing a member of the San Diego Energy crew?
Yeah, they're the last of my Energy speakers. But my brother (not in San Diego) still has RC-50s and RC-10s. And I'll still keep an eye out for 2.2i's if I can find them at a can't-pass-up price. I've switched to some PSBs and Ascends and can't justify keeping so many speakers (4 pairs right now) in a one-bedroom apartment!
Aarghon likes this.

post #52307 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

LOL Beavav, exactly the same reason I'm selling mine too... One apartment bedroom too... What could I say, a single guy can't have single speaker wives =D
beaveav likes this.

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
post #52308 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What model PSB and Ascends?

There's a trio of Ascend 340 that's been on our local CL for a while and are now down to $275. That's a ridiculous price to get a sweet timbre matched LCR to start an awesome budget HT but lord knows I don't need any more speakers either! In addition to my current rosenut RC setup (RC-10 & RC-LCR & RC minis) I have three RVS, a pair of Pro 0.5s, and a pair of C-R3 all collecting dust. I could put together a sick 7ch setup from speakers I'm not even using.

Part of me wants to sell the RCs but my wife loves the rosenut finish and can't stand big black boxes. I'm looking for something with a bit more transparency and detail than the RCs but I think I'd have to go to the PSB imagine series to get an appreciable step up while still having a beautiful wood finish that matches my decor and keeps the wife happy.
post #52309 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What model PSB and Ascends?

There's a trio of Ascend 340 that's been on our local CL for a while and are now down to $275. That's a ridiculous price to get a sweet timbre matched LCR to start an awesome budget HT but lord knows I don't need any more speakers either! In addition to my current rosenut RC setup (RC-10 & RC-LCR & RC minis) I have three RVS, a pair of Pro 0.5s, and a pair of C-R3 all collecting dust. I could put together a sick 7ch setup from speakers I'm not even using.

Part of me wants to sell the RCs but my wife loves the rosenut finish and can't stand big black boxes. I'm looking for something with a bit more transparency and detail than the RCs but I think I'd have to go to the PSB imagine series to get an appreciable step up while still having a beautiful wood finish that matches my decor and keeps the wife happy.
I went off the deep end in the last couple of years. I got a pair of Ascend Sierra-1s, then a pair of PSB Synchrony Ones, then a pair of Ascend Sierra towers (non-Raal). All purchased used but in great shape. Sold off my Energy RC-30s, and then my Monitor Audio RS6, RX6, RX1 pairs for those. Definite upgrades but of course a lot more expensive as well. I'm going to keep either the Sierra towers or the PSB Sync Ones. It's total overkill to keep both. But it's such a tough call - they're both soooo nice, so I can't decide which to keep and which to sell.

I still think the RC-series in rosenut and/or cherry are some of the best looking speakers around, especially at their used prices. The PSB Imagines are gorgeous too. I missed a great deal on Imagine B's in cherry a few years ago and still wish I'd jumped on it.

post #52310 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I missed a great deal on Imagine B's in cherry a few years ago and still wish I'd jumped on it.
Are you talking about the ones that were on San Diego Craigslist? I stared at those so many times doing mental calculations of how much I could get for my rosenut RCs so I could convince the wife it was a good idea.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #52311 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you talking about the ones that were on San Diego Craigslist? I stared at those so many times doing mental calculations of how much I could get for my rosenut RCs so I could convince the wife it was a good idea.
Yeah, the ones I'm thinking of were on SD Craigslist about 3 (?) years ago. $600 for a pair of Imagine Bs AND the Imagine Center channel. When I saw the ad I mulled it over for a night, decided it was a no-brainer, and contacted the seller the next day. He had just made a deal to ship them up to the Seattle area to a buyer there. I think the ad had been up for a few days before I noticed it.

post #52312 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think I may have a blow tweeter in one of my RC-R's. I am running them as monopole so I know its the main tweeter.

Last weekend watching a movie at -20 db I noticed some distortion coming from the left RC-R. It doesn't seem to happen at normal volumes for me, around -40 db.

I tested again this weekend with some music, specifically piano, and sure enough on certain notes or passages I got some of the distortion. So, I turned it up a little more, and it seemed to stop happening.

Thoughts?

It is still possible to get replacement parts?

Thanks

Last edited by MuaySteve; 08-24-2014 at 05:14 PM.
post #52313 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah, the ones I'm thinking of were on SD Craigslist about 3 (?) years ago. $600 for a pair of Imagine Bs AND the Imagine Center channel. When I saw the ad I mulled it over for a night, decided it was a no-brainer, and contacted the seller the next day. He had just made a deal to ship them up to the Seattle area to a buyer there. I think the ad had been up for a few days before I noticed it.
Yup that's the one. Still kicking myself.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #52314 of 52320 Old 08-24-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup that's the one. Still kicking myself.
Haha, same here. That was one of the best deals I've seen on San Diego craigslist in the last 5 years. Basically paying $600 for a used pair of Imagine Bs (pretty close to market value) and getting the center channel for free.

post #52315 of 52320 Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 PM

Has anybody with multiple sets of RC speakers that are far apart in age notice differences between their new and old sets? I just picked up a set from Frys and compared it to my old set.

I noticed that the grain is much more prominent on my older RC-10's and the old ones are a bit heavier also. I did a little knock on the top test too and the sound is also different. More hollow sounding on my new RC-10's versus the old ones. Looks like they at least moved the wood quality down over the years. Thankfully they still sound roughly the same to my ears though I'm not doing a proper A-B test with them, I just unplugged and boxed back up the old set and plugged in the new ones. Old set is heading to my parents house to complete their RC system.
post #52316 of 52320 Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Batpig...Don't you do it. Don't you leave us.

Your wife is so cool.
post #52317 of 52320 Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post
Has anybody with multiple sets of RC speakers that are far apart in age notice differences between their new and old sets? I just picked up a set from Frys and compared it to my old set.

I noticed that the grain is much more prominent on my older RC-10's and the old ones are a bit heavier also. I did a little knock on the top test too and the sound is also different. More hollow sounding on my new RC-10's versus the old ones. Looks like they at least moved the wood quality down over the years. Thankfully they still sound roughly the same to my ears though I'm not doing a proper A-B test with them, I just unplugged and boxed back up the old set and plugged in the new ones. Old set is heading to my parents house to complete their RC system.
I have two pairs of RC-10 that I bought from Vanns and one pair that I got from Fry's since they were resurrected and they seem identical to me.
post #52318 of 52320 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
I have two pairs of RC-10 that I bought from Vanns and one pair that I got from Fry's since they were resurrected and they seem identical to me.
Weird. The serial number on the back of my old set has 1 less digit too than my new set. Either way, the old ones seem better to me but for the price I paid for this new set, I'm still one happy camper.
post #52319 of 52320 Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 381
If the old ones seem better to you then give the new ones to your parents!

The new ones may not have been broken in yet. How many hours do you have on them?

Afro GT
post #52320 of 52320 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's not surprising that over time they would make small changes to the production. You'd have to imagine, considering their zombie-like afterlife since being discontinued, that Klipsch/Audiovox has managed to outsource the production to different Chinese production facilities to yield incrementally reduced cost and better margins (enabling the big discounts offered in recent years). Maybe some other vendor was able to produce a similar, but not identical, MDF cabinet with wood veneer for a few bucks less per speaker.

So I'm not shocked that one of the RC-10's from 6-8 years ago when Energy was still its own company might have different build quality than a newer model sourced by Audiovox/Klipsch. Maybe the changes are also hand in hand with some looser tolerances for things like cabinet resonance than what Energy spec'd way back when they were new models. It's likely that the "real world" implication in meaningless in terms of any audible changes in sonic quality.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page