34Likes

post #52291 of 52293 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
I think to some degree your expectations of what your rear surrounds are supposed to sound like may be exceeding what they are actually supposed to do. I also have rear surrounds and I find that it is very much soundtrack/source dependent with what sort of effects I notice from them
Yes this is so true. Which makes it all the more difficult to evaluate the effectiveness of a particular layout. For any layout changes you make, you will have to listen to the setup for a *long* time with a lot of different source material to see the effect of the changes.

I seem to remember watching 7.1 BluRays where a character on screen was being repeatedly shot by someone who would be situated behind the camera/MLP and there were very loud and full gunshots from directly behind me. I remember thinking "I'm glad I got decent bookshelf speakers back there instead of something small that could only go down to 120Hz or so." I even seem to recall getting a similar effect from 5.1 material using PLIIx. But I haven't heard the effect in quite a while, and I just happened to have moved my speakers around. Perhaps something is "wrong" or perhaps I haven't listened to anything recently with aggressive rear sound.

So, maybe it's a matter of me discovering decent source material with which to test the issue. Not just movies, but a list of particular scenes from movies (at least some of which I own or could rent). I've been looking for such a list online, but have yet to find one.

Energy Speakers' specs spreadsheet.

Corrections or additions? Please PM me and I will edit the document.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52292 of 52293 Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got everything set up in new apartment!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140819_183636.jpg (170.3 KB, 12 views)
post #52293 of 52293 Old Today, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Nice Animal Pak
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page