Old 08-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
$800 would be a steal for a new pair of 6.3s. My local FS has them on "clearance" for $750 each and yet I recall seeing them on sale for $499 each a few months ago. Future Shop has some wacky pricing practices.
Yup, they do!!! And the more we talk about it, the more I'm figuring their strategy out. It's a clever practice though, we practice it in our business, at a way lesser extent though... It's called "clustered pricing"

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... But I just wanted to say Thanks to burkeydvm. I've had these speakers (non-i Veritas) for like a decade and have tried several times to clean the tops of the sticky residue and only made it worse. Even called Energy a year or so ago and they had no clue... But, other than the stickiness, I love my 7.1 cherry Veritas speakers.

I was giving my home theater some love this week - receiver died and time for something new... And thought I'd try one more time to search for a solution... Denatured alcohol really did the trick! I have 4 speakers with the rubber tops and rubber sides on the center... They are all now smooth and soft to the touch- and there's nothing that the dust will stick to! It took about 15 min a side with gentle rubbing with a soft cloth saturated in the alcohol, and a final wiped own and they are now smooth and not sticky at all.

So- thanks for posting this- these are absolutely great speakers, and they're now like new!

Larry

Edit: the tops of the speakers are now smooth black plastic, which looks GREAT. I think there was a rubberized coating on top of that originally, which, thanks to our LA smog, turned to gummy, stick goop. The denatured alcohol I used just removed that initial VERY THIN rubberized coating and took it down to the hard surface of the tops. The tops are still the 1/4" or so black plastic. If one wanted to, the tops could be sprayed with a rubberized coating again I suppose - they look/feel great as is at this point. Easier to dust as well! I'm not sure I want to risk it - LB
Pictures?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Pictures?
Will try to post them after the holiday... thanks for asking - never posted a photo here before.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
There may be more than just the shape for differences between the "C" in ceiling speakers and the "W" in wall designated speakers.... be sure to check the mounting depth specs between the two models... In ceiling speakers may be deeper as they are intended for the additional space typically afforded ceiling mounting, whereas the in wall speakers should for certain fit in the typical 2 X 4 stud frames as far as depth....
Just an update to this: Checking the specs on the Energy-speakers.com site, shows that the EAS-6C has a mounting depth of only 2.75 inches!... so they would be fine for mounting in walls also... actually shallower than the EAS-6W's 3.25 inches... even the EAS-8C has a depth of only 3.25 inches..... so wall mounting in a 2x4 (1.5 X 3.5) studded frame wall should be no problem I would think....

The mounting depth issue would only come into play if by chance you were able to find the RC series of in ceiling speakers... the RC-6C and the RC-8C have a greater than 4 inch mounting depth... whereas the RC-6W is the only one with less than 4 inch mounting depth...

Last edited by deano86; Yesterday at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Would be worth a look/listen if I lived near them.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

So, Laserjock, did you fiddle with the rc70s a little ? =D

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
So, Laserjock, did you fiddle with the rc70s a little ? =D
One day! Lol
Still in the box.
I need to get em out and get them broke in.
Aarghon likes this.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I'm considering adding front heights to my 7.3 system and I have a few question. I currently have the RC setup and was wondering which Energy speaker would be the best tonal match, the CB-10 or the Veritas mini? Also, do any of you have experience using front heights and how much does it add to a movie/game experience? I'm not seeking a drastic change, but I'm expecting more immersion with ambient sounds.

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (2), Velodyne VDR-12 (3),

Last edited by ah_1014; Yesterday at 07:34 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_1014 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm considering adding front heights to my 7.3 system and I have a few question. I currently have the RC setup and was wondering which Energy speaker would be the best tonal match, the CB-10 or the Veritas mini? Also, do any of you have experience using front heights and how much does it add to a movie/game experience? I'm not seeking a drastic change, but I'm expecting more immersion with ambient sounds.
I would just go with the Veritas Minis as they would be the easiest to mount and come with mounting brackets already... and the drivers look more similar to the RC line also. But, for my room, heights just didn't seem to do anything that great...especially when compared to wides, but that is with Audyssey DSX expansion.. whereas your heights may be using your receiver's own height surround mode? So, I have no idea on how much those will add... but, it seems that the higher your ceiling, the better.. what is your ceiling height?
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
I would just go with the Veritas Minis as they would be the easiest to mount and come with mounting brackets already... and the drivers look more similar to the RC line also. But, for my room, heights just didn't seem to do anything that great...especially when compared to wides, but that is with Audyssey DSX expansion.. whereas your heights may be using your receiver's own height surround mode? So, I have no idea on how much those will add... but, it seems that the higher your ceiling, the better.. what is your ceiling height?
Because of the venting system, 1/3 of the basement is lower then the other 6"10 compared to 7"8.

Since My Yamaha uses its own DSP for front heights I wonder if that will make much a difference compared to the DSP that is available in your receiver?

The reason I asked between these two speakers is because they are on sale. The CB-10 are going for $169.99 a pair and the Vminis are going for $139.00 each. If the Vminis will be a better tonal match I'll go for those, but is it worth the $130.00 difference?

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (2), Velodyne VDR-12 (3),

Last edited by ah_1014; Yesterday at 10:24 PM.
Old Today, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Pictures?
Ok - as promised, pictures of tops and sides (on Center channel) of recently cleaned/renewed cherry veneer Energy Veritas speakers. You can see in the first one, of the left 2.3 Veritas, it's now shiny black on top, rather than the formerly sticky black with cat hair. You can see from the L-C-R shot what they look like as a group (and that I'm a Trekkie!), and the wider shot shows one of the 2.1 speakers on a Veritas stand, and one of the 2.0r surround speakers on the wall.

I was thinking of spraying a rubberized finish on the tops again, but I think I like them the way they are, and for the life of me am not sure why they put it on in the first place - maybe they didn't know it would turn to goo in a few years.

I'm on the verge of getting a receiver with Dolby Atmos, so am trying to figure out how to fit two more Height channel speakers in the already too small room... the WAF is already pressed beyond reason - thinking maybe of adding a couple of Orb speakers firing up.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Becker Veritas L closeup.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	242338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Becker Veritas wider shot.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	242346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Becker Veritas L-C-R.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	242354  
Gmash likes this.
Old Today, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
They look nice and shiny now!! Nice.
Old Today, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
@brendelac : awesome how some deals can be made at futureshop... I could have bought a pair of veritases 6.3c for... 799$. Considering how much I've drooled upon them, I still can't figure why I didn't buy them.
That would have been a good deal.....the lowest I had ever seen them for at Future Shop online or in Metro Edmonton was $799. per speaker.
Old Today, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
That would have been a good deal.....the lowest I had ever seen them for at Future Shop online or in Metro Edmonton was $799. per speaker.
Yup, futureshop seems to do cluster pricing in store.. Often I've seen stuff lower
in store than advertised online... Must depend on the sales rate in local markets... And Energy veritas speakers and RC aren't on the website anymore... So the stores still having them on hand have to be doing something. Maybe a manager's deal.

Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Old Today, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post
Ok - as promised, pictures of tops and sides (on Center channel) of recently cleaned/renewed cherry veneer Energy Veritas speakers. You can see in the first one, of the left 2.3 Veritas, it's now shiny black on top, rather than the formerly sticky black with cat hair. You can see from the L-C-R shot what they look like as a group (and that I'm a Trekkie!), and the wider shot shows one of the 2.1 speakers on a Veritas stand, and one of the 2.0r surround speakers on the wall.

I was thinking of spraying a rubberized finish on the tops again, but I think I like them the way they are, and for the life of me am not sure why they put it on in the first place - maybe they didn't know it would turn to goo in a few years.

I'm on the verge of getting a receiver with Dolby Atmos, so am trying to figure out how to fit two more Height channel speakers in the already too small room... the WAF is already pressed beyond reason - thinking maybe of adding a couple of Orb speakers firing up.

Larry
Those look good! Nice job. I'll have to remember the denatured alcohol trick.
Old Today, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Those look good! Nice job. I'll have to remember the denatured alcohol trick.
Thanks! I posted a lot about it so that others who have these speakers and the same issues will have a clue of what to do. I have had this issue for several years - my wife was sick of it, and now she just laughs at how easy it was to fix - "After all these years!" Sorry, Dear!

So, now people know what to do. And I found a brief hint of it from a Google search that pointed me to part of a thread from a year ago.

Larry

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50
User Tag List