Energy Owners Thread - Page 1756 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #52651 of 52679 Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Reviews like these are why I was thinking the RC70s would be a big upgrade over the RC30s.

From the 2006 Sound and Vision review:
To reverse that old audiophile cliché, the RC-70s were not ruthlessly revealing, but they were revealing enough to discern differences in the equipment driving them—including the subtle high frequency variations heard when comparing the digital outputs of several DVD players. And while I heard an occasional trace of metallic flavoring from the speaker's aluminum-dome tweeter, at its best the top end of the RC-70 is as open, airy, and as detailed as you could wish for.

The midrange was clear and free of the usual suspects—boxiness, nasality, and other nasty, artificial-sounding colorations that are particularly distracting with human voices. Voices were, in fact, beautifully served by the RC-70, with soaring female voices and male vocals that were rich and full-bodied. The RC-70s sounded neither "in your face" forward nor recessed, and produced a detailed, well-focused soundstage

From the 2006 Soundstage review:
The RC-70s did right by the celebration, and they raised a question in my mind: "How much more money would I need to spend to find a speaker I prefer substantially more?" I suspect it would be far more than Mozart was paid for his composition, adjusted for inflation, of course. The RC-70s are that kind of good.
Comparisons
I said it earlier, but it deserves repeating: The Energy RC-70s are special speakers. They perform well with all types of music, and they never really add themselves to the sound. Good recordings sound good, bad ones sound bad -- like it or not.
Because I thought the RC-70s performed to such a high standard, I decided to compare them to my own PSB Platinum M2s ($2500/pair), a minimonitor with some guts. I went back to the same Mozart overture in Die Zauberflöte and noted a bigger -- though not as crystal clear -- sound through the Energy speakers. Their low frequencies were far more extended than those of the PSBs, and this had the effect of adding space to the recital hall where the recording was made. Obviously the RC-70s should have more bass because the PSBs are minimonitors, but this is still worth noting if you are in the market for speakers and need (or don't need) deep bass.
If I had never heard the PSB Platinum M2 tweeter, I'd say that the RC-70 produced the best high-frequency performance I'd ever heard. It never errs on the bright side (unless the music is inherently bright) and it exhibits excellent detail. Still, when I switched over to the M2s, I found the tweeter even smoother, with more detail and what I can only describe as a very tidy sound. The M2s sound very clean, and reproduce vocals better than any speaker I've heard. While the RC-70s create well-focused images, with the M2s these images are razor sharp and give a better sense of space around each instrument.
But -- and it's a big "but" -- the M2s cost $2500, 25% more than the RC-70s, and they're minimonitors! At that price, I would expect outstanding performance from them. The fact that I thought the RC-70s deserved comparison with one of PSB's flagship Platinum-series speakers should say something about how highly I regarded the RC-70s' performance.
Conclusion
In my introduction I asked whether the RC-70 might set a new sonic standard at their price. More specifically, I wondered if $2000 really is the point of diminishing returns for a pair of floorstanding speakers. Although the RC-70s are wonderful, I still think that this honor is reserved for speakers that cost closer to $5000, where the competition is especially fierce. Many companies offer models around this figure, and I've heard some I liked more than the RC-70s. However, that the RC-70s get very close to the quality of these considerably more expensive designs is an important point. Their sound is extremely satisfying in so many regards, and they are such highly resolving and refined transducers that I can imagine many music lovers (myself included) living happily with them for a very long time.
My advice to potential buyers of the RC-70s would be to spend money on quality electronics to extract everything they have to offer. They can sound very good with budget gear, but their performance was elevated as the quality of the upstream components improved. The RC-70s are certainly revealing. When fed a signal that is as refined as they are, the result is so impressive that one might forget all about upgrading and simply get on with just listening to music. If this isn't the point of being an audiophile, I don't know what is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52652 of 52679 Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyN View Post
Reviews like these are why I was thinking the RC70s would be a big upgrade over the RC30s.
I would think the RC-70's would have a clearer mid-range since the midrange 5.5" driver is a dedicated midrange covering 600hz to 2400hz, where the RC-30 "midrange" driver covers 40hz to 2400hz.

I've personally never heard the RC-70's so I can't really comment on the actual sound, but those are the specs for the speakers.
post #52653 of 52679 Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Just bought a pair of near-mint Reference 22 (non connoisseur) monitors. The seller said he was the original owner and given their condition, it's likely true. The only cosmetic flaw that I can see is a corner on one of the stands has the lamination coming apart slightly. Sound great too, but I think the Veritas 2.3s still have the edge.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j...o/IMG_0101.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-N...o/IMG_0102.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...o/IMG_0103.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-r...o/IMG_0104.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1...o/IMG_0105.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k...o/IMG_0106.JPG

Last edited by brendelac; 11-20-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #52654 of 52679 Old 11-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
If anyone's interested in a rosenut v5.2c in pristine condition let me know. I posted the ad in the classifieds
I'm also selling my cb10s and cb5s as well. Will negotiate prices if interested
post #52655 of 52679 Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post
The RC-30's are really a 2.5 way design. See specs here: http://www.blu-ray.com/Energy-RC-30/14215/

The top 5.5" woofer is used as a midrange driver (crossover with tweeter is at 2400hz) which is the same as the RC-70. The bottom woofer is used more as a woofer (crossover at 1000hz). I would think the midrange would be very similar to the 70's. The 70's just have bigger woofers to provide more bass, which I think you could control with EQ or plugging the ports for tighter, less boomy bass.
you're exactly right here, the RC-30's incorporate a 2.5-way configuration. The No. 1 (upper) woofer shares mid-range/mid-bass, the No. 2 (lower) woofer handles bass.
post #52656 of 52679 Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 320
RoyN buy the speakers if after audition the speakers you are not completely satisfied get other brand ,that's simple and that's what I did.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
post #52657 of 52679 Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Veritas 2.0r

Hi guys! I'm looking for some help from my friendly fellow Energy owners. I am trying to ceiling-mount an older Veritas 2.0r surround speaker, and was wondering if anyone's had success with any specific brackets / mounts / DIY combos. I'm running RC70s + LCR, with RC30s for wides and RC10s for heights... but I'm stuck using teeny Take Sats as sides/surrounds b/c I've been worried about ceiling mounting the 2.0r's and having them fall. Please help! Thanks!!
post #52658 of 52679 Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
kgallerie,

Those in this picture would work.
The pic at Audiovox seems to be showing the "dark cherry" or "walnut" even though description says black ash. I will contact them.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMS5
I ordered them in black ash, I cheapened out on shipping so will probably get them the week after Thanksgiving.
It's been many years since I did any audio upgrade in my home theater so I just had to get something

Julien Pierre - http://blog.madbrain.com
post #52659 of 52679 Old 11-21-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreWuLF_ View Post
You will not need a subwoofer with the RC-70s. The bass on those towers...are ridiculously powerful.
It's true that they are very capable speakers with great bass. That being said bass extends down to a bit below 40 Hz with those -- there is still a whole octave or more to unravel with a good sub. Plus a sub would relieve your amp from having to drive the RC-70's woofer to extreme excursions.

That being said, a puny little box (e.g. my RC-70s were paired in a promotion with the ESW-C8 that goes down to 38 Hz!) will add very little to the RC-70 (or potentially even degrade sound quality).

post #52660 of 52679 Old 11-21-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyN View Post
You have perfectly described exactly what I DO NOT want in a speaker. I want the best midrange I can get for the money I'm willing to spend. Loved the RC30s and got them for under 500. Willing to pay up to around 1k for new fronts with even better sound. The 70s have a mid-range driver and the 30s don't. On that basis alone I'd have thought they had better mids.
Well, here's the thing though...I only noticed the RC-70s and RC-10s were overemphasizing on the bass a bit (sometimes too much) due to one simple reason: I was comparing them to other speakers such as B&Ws, PSBs, etc. Now if I only had the RCs in my room I don't think I would notice the excess bass at all. Regardless, the RC-70s vocals are still very very clear (I like the Energy's clarity over the PSB's Image without a doubt--the RC series is definitely above the PSB's Image and closer to Imagine Series [I still much prefer Imagine Series but for value buy RC wins hands down]. Also, you want to keep in mind that I believe Energy designed these for home theater, yet they were still able to make them sound wonderfully for music. But keep in mind you must have a taste for laid back & warm sound, otherwise do not buy the RC-70s or any laid back/warm sounding speakers.

Bottom line: You will not find a brand new pair of three-way designed tower speakers with real wood veneer anywhere close to $600. Sound wise...that's very subjective and only you can judge that. Again, I recommend you buy them locally and try them at home. If you don't like them, simply return and continue your search.

Last edited by SabreWuLF_; 11-21-2014 at 11:30 PM.
post #52661 of 52679 Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well I'm in trouble. I pulled the trigger on the RC-70's at frys before I sold my CF-70's because I was afraid I'd miss it and had a buyer. Buyer backed out so now I need to sell my CF-70's pronto.

$300. Located in Utah. Let me know.
post #52662 of 52679 Old 11-22-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Don't sweat it. Yolo
post #52663 of 52679 Old 11-22-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post
Well I'm in trouble. I pulled the trigger on the RC-70's at frys before I sold my CF-70's because I was afraid I'd miss it and had a buyer. Buyer backed out so now I need to sell my CF-70's pronto.

$300. Located in Utah. Let me know.
Use your CF-70s as surround. Problem solved
post #52664 of 52679 Old 11-22-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Use your CF-70s as surround. Problem solved
I thought they don't match?

Either way there is no room and I already have surrounds I can use in the garage when I do have room, and I only justified with the wife getting the RC-70's if I paid for half by selling the CF-70's. Hence, why I'm in trouble
post #52665 of 52679 Old 11-22-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
if it financially isn't a burden, then yeah don't sweat the small stuff.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #52666 of 52679 Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Well, here's the thing though...I only noticed the RC-70 and RC-10 were overemphasizing on the bass a bit(sometime too much) due to one simple reason: I was comparing them to other speakers such as B&Ws, PSBs, etc. Now if I only had the RCs in my room I don't think I would notice the excess bass at all. Regardless, the RC-70s vocals are still very very clear (I like the Energy's clarity over the PSB's Image without a doubt--the RC series is definitely above the PSB's Image and closer to Imagine Series [I still much prefer Imagine Series but for value buy RC wins hands down]. Also, you want to keep in mind that I believe Energy designed these for home theater, yet they were still able to make them sound wonderfully for music. But keep in mind you must have a taste for laid back & warm sound, otherwise do not buy the RC-70s or any laid back/warm sounding speakers.

Bottom line: You will not find a brand new pair of three-way designed towers speakers with real wood veneer anywhere close to $600. Sound wise...that's very subjective and only you can judge that. Again, I recommend you buy them locally and try them at home. If you don't like them, simply return and continue your search.
I agree that the over emphasis is notable depending of the music track.

I also agree that he wont find a $600 pair of towers with a build quality like the RC-70.

I do not agree that the RC-70s vocals are very very clear ,this have been a topic for years, just look for forums past and present threads and posts.

This are not the only speaker that struggle in reproducing a clean vocal ,so do not feel bad, a clean vocal reproduction is something that many, many speakers struggle with.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 11-22-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #52667 of 52679 Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I thought they don't match?

Either way there is no room and I already have surrounds I can use in the garage when I do have room, and I only justified with the wife getting the RC-70's if I paid for half by selling the CF-70's. Hence, why I'm in trouble
Hehe...they don't match. I just wanted to give you a quick solution to your problem. I'd advise selling the CF-70s...worse case sell them for less than $300, maybe $250?

Maybe you could convince your wife that the CF-70s can be used in another room, maybe dining room or bedroom?
post #52668 of 52679 Old 11-22-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
I agree that the over emphasis is notable depending of the music track.

I also agree that he wont find a $600 pair of towers with a build quality like the RC-70.

I do not agree that the RC-70s vocals are very very clear ,this have been a topic for years, just look for forums past and present threads and posts.

This are not the only speaker that struggle in reproducing a clean vocal ,so do not feel bad, a clean vocal reproduction is something that many, many speakers struggle with.
You're right about the vocals...I admit I exaggerated too much and just wanted to make RC-70 owners feel happier. The vocals are clear, but not very very clear and I believe this is due to the warmth, excess bass, and laid back sound of the RC-70s. There are much better vocal speakers out there (One I can definitely think of is KEF IQ series IMO,--the vocal is just soooo sweet to me). But I think for $600 ($650 w/ tax) they're very hard to beat. The closest to that price range I can think of are the EMPs (~$700) and Chane A5RX-B/A5RX-C ($800), but RC-70s win in build quality out of the three still.
post #52669 of 52679 Old 11-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdell View Post
Hi guys! I'm looking for some help from my friendly fellow Energy owners. I am trying to ceiling-mount an older Veritas 2.0r surround speaker, and was wondering if anyone's had success with any specific brackets / mounts / DIY combos. I'm running RC70s + LCR, with RC30s for wides and RC10s for heights... but I'm stuck using teeny Take Sats as sides/surrounds b/c I've been worried about ceiling mounting the 2.0r's and having them fall. Please help! Thanks!!
My 2.0r speakers are on the wall... Sorry, no help here.
But why on the ceiling? These are bipoles and meant to give a bit of a dispersed sound.
And they're heavy... If someone got beaned by one...
I mounted some little B&W M1 speakers on the ceiling for apDolby Atmos height channels... Sounds good with the Veritas system.
post #52670 of 52679 Old 11-23-2014, 05:43 PM

Anyone know how tight the speaker bezel should be? One of my veritas towers was making a vibrating noise so I went to tighten the drivers and noticed they are all not very tight. I tightened them a little more but now there's sort of an impression they are making in the silver bezel surrounds. So now I'm questioning how tight these screws should be? Looks like theres some small foam pieces on the backs that sit against the plastic where the mounting screws go.... presumably to dampen vibration. Would tightening these screws too much cause the metal bezel to touch against the plastic driver mount and cause vibration? Should they be left a little loose? Hopefully someone with the newer veritas will know what I'm talking about with the silver bezels. Thanks

Edit. Attached pic for reference of the screws and bezel im talking about. I can see the indents better in low reflective light. The picture kind of shows the indents more towards the bottom few screws.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141123_190208.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	381890

Last edited by mattdub1; 11-23-2014 at 06:12 PM.
post #52671 of 52679 Old 11-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Anyone know how tight the speaker bezel should be? One of my veritas towers was making a vibrating noise so I went to tighten the drivers and noticed they are all not very tight. I tightened them a little more but now there's sort of an impression they are making in the silver bezel surrounds. So now I'm questioning how tight these screws should be? Looks like theres some small foam pieces on the backs that sit against the plastic where the mounting screws go.... presumably to dampen vibration. Would tightening these screws too much cause the metal bezel to touch against the plastic driver mount and cause vibration? Should they be left a little loose? Hopefully someone with the newer veritas will know what I'm talking about with the silver bezels. Thanks

Edit. Attached pic for reference of the screws and bezel im talking about. I can see the indents better in low reflective light. The picture kind of shows the indents more towards the bottom few screws.
Attachment 381890
The bezel is pretty strong so it shouldn't be making an indentation, but I think I see where they do appear in your pic. Just above the bottom right and bottom left screw? Snug screws are good, but over-tightening is asking for trouble. I don't recall seeing any foam backing, but I could have missed it. Is the bezel flush with the face of the speaker cabinet? Once it is flush, that should be tight enough - give or take a half turn or so.

Last edited by brendelac; 11-23-2014 at 09:39 PM.
post #52672 of 52679 Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
The bezel is pretty strong so it shouldn't be making an indentation, but I think I see where they do appear in your pic. Just above the bottom right and bottom left screw? Snug screws are good, but over-tightening is asking for trouble. I don't recall seeing any foam backing, but I could have missed it. Is the bezel flush with the face of the speaker cabinet? Once it is flush, that should be tight enough - give or take a half turn or so.
Yep you pointed out where those indentations are happening. There are very small pieces of padding on the back of those aluminum bezels which probably create a little space gap, hence where slight indentations can happen. When I tightened the screws, they are barely tight at all and sink the aluminum bezel slightly past the face of the cabinet. If I unscrew them to where they are flush with the cabinet, they seem loose. It takes almost nothing to turn them. So that's why I was wondering if they're supposed to be loose like that.

I guess maybe I'll try loosening them to where the bezel is flush and see if I get any kind of noise or movement. Just seems odd that they are so easy to turn at that point. I would think they should be tightened just to the point where they no longer turn really easily at least. I definitely would never leave anything else with screws that loose!

Last edited by mattdub1; 11-24-2014 at 06:34 AM.
post #52673 of 52679 Old 11-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Well my RC-70's arrived today from Fry's. One has cosmetic damage. I'll contact fry's and see what's next.
Also, for some reason I thought they were going to be real wood but it's the same particle board my CF-70's are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141124_20_26_20_Pro.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	384049   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141124_20_26_41_Pro.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	384057   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141124_20_27_08_Pro.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	384065  
post #52674 of 52679 Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Well my RC-70's arrived today from Fry's. One has cosmetic damage. I'll contact fry's and see what's next.
Also, for some reason I thought they were going to be real wood but it's the same particle board my CF-70's are.
That's a shame but I hope they'll send you a new one.
My boxes show "Furniture Grade Real Wood Finish"
I suspect it's a veneer since real wood would be extremely expensive.
They match my new Standout Designs 82" Haven EX stand. :-)
post #52675 of 52679 Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
It's MDF not particleboard (much higher density). And just the veneer is real wood, not the cabinet itself.
post #52676 of 52679 Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM

Liked: 0
I am looking to pick up a pair of energy cb-10's to use as my surrounds. Never owned energy speakers before will these work well as surrounds? Right now I have the polk t-15's as surrounds will the energy cb-10's be a nice upgrade? Any help is very much appreciated
post #52677 of 52679 Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meak81 View Post
I am looking to pick up a pair of energy cb-10's to use as my surrounds. Never owned energy speakers before will these work well as surrounds? Right now I have the polk t-15's as surrounds will the energy cb-10's be a nice upgrade? Any help is very much appreciated
I personally think they work very well. They are great speakers for the price. What are the rest of your speakers? I cant comment on how they compare to the polk t-15s but I have a mint pair of cb10 for sale with barely any hours on them. Pm me if your interested.
post #52678 of 52679 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
I personally think they work very well. They are great speakers for the price. What are the rest of your speakers? I cant comment on how they compare to the polk t-15s but I have a mint pair of cb10 for sale with barely any hours on them. Pm me if your interested.
I have Polk rti8's for my fronts and a B&W HTM62 S2 center channel, I just feel like the Polk t-15's I have for my surrounds are kind of cheap I bought them without doing any research on them at all and now kind of regret it lol. They have a pair of the Energy cb-10's at my local Best Buy for 169.00 right now so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on those before they are gone, thanks for your input
post #52679 of 52679 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not sure if this is allowed here or not, if not I'll delete it but -
I just listed my cherry RC LCR and 2x RC-10's for sale on craigslist. I don't want to ship as I don't have the boxes for the RC-10's. I'm in Ohio and I know I received a PM before from someone in Ohio, but I'm moving to NC next week if anyone is interested.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page