post #53041 of 53052 Old 01-24-2015, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek51 View Post
PoshFrosh,

FWIW, Here's my 3 RC-LCR's behind an acoustically transparent screen.
Have you heard / owned the RC-10? Is there a large difference in sound quality when compared to the RC-LCR with their separate midrange drivers vs the 2-way RC-10?

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53042 of 53052 Old 01-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshFrosh View Post
Wow! I had no idea the grills would have so much of an effect. Makes me think about running without them. I'd have to go all the way one way or the other though, because I'd want to run Audyssey without the grills if I were going to do all my listening with them removed.

Do you think Audyssey could reasonably "correct" the effect the grills are having? Do you or anyone else have a comparison with an Audyssey-calibrated line added to the same graph you posted?

I guess, as you said, if it sounds good to me, then I should just continue to enjoy my setup.

My next project is: I finally picked up an RC-LCR (when they were $219 recently) and I'm going to experiment with swapping it in and out for the RC70 I currently use (vertically) as a center.
wow good to know. I'm going to take the grills out and see how everything sounds! I have a quick question tho, I have a 7.1 system all RC-10's with RC-LCR center. I have an onkyo TX-SR605 and an ED A2-300 sub (RIP ED). I am very happy with the sound but now that I have been seeing the RC-70 going cheap at FRY's I was wondering if there is any real difference in upgrading the fronts to RC-70. Also, will I get any benefit in upgrading the receiver to something newer? more output? Thanks in advance guys
post #53043 of 53052 Old 01-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Public Service Announcement

There is a subwoofer group buy in the DIY section for the UXL-18 driver for $400usd shipped. All said and done, it will cost about $900-$1200 (driver/cabinet/amp) with a few variables and does require some DIY as you will need to either cut and build the cabinet yourself (instructions are all there) or purchase a flat pack and assemble yourself. The most commonly used amp is the behringer inuke 3000 or 6000 with DSP.

UXL Group Buy-The Sequel
post #53044 of 53052 Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post
Have you heard / owned the RC-10? Is there a large difference in sound quality when compared to the RC-LCR with their separate midrange drivers vs the 2-way RC-10?
Sorry, I have not heard the RC-10's.

post #53045 of 53052 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Ok, thanks. I just ordered the RC-LCR, so now I'll have the matching front Soundstage with my RC-10.

I was also wondering about the best placement for the RC-70 towers.

How far from the back wall is ideal for these speakers?

My RC -10 speakers are almost 2 feet from the back wall and they sound very good.
post #53046 of 53052 Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Attention!!!

Just popped up on ebay:

A pair of V1.8 towers for $500 buy-it-now!!!

They are listed as V2.2's but the pictures are obviously V1.8's. The pics also show a sub and center. They are listed as local pickup only, in Brentwood, California.

Holy road trip Batpig!
post #53047 of 53052 Old Today, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

They were showing 28 viewed per hour and only 2 watching. And I'm one of them. I Don't think I've ever seen a pair for less than $1200.

The listing says they are in working condition. One pic clearly shows the V1.8 sticker on the back. You can also see a chunk out of the rear of one of the bases. No biggie.

Come on, somebody grab them so I can stop thinking about them! It's a 3 hour drive for me , and I've already got a pair of RC-70's and V2.3's, along with prolly 20 other Energy speakers. The V1.8's would be the next step up though...
post #53048 of 53052 Old Today, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fears4Ears View Post
They were showing 28 viewed per hour and only 2 watching. And I'm one of them. I Don't think I've ever seen a pair for less than $1200.

The listing says they are in working condition. One pic clearly shows the V1.8 sticker on the back. You can also see a chunk out of the rear of one of the bases. No biggie.

Come on, somebody grab them so I can stop thinking about them! It's a 3 hour drive for me , and I've already got a pair of RC-70's and V2.3's, along with prolly 20 other Energy speakers. The V1.8's would be the next step up though...
Damn. Those are the ones that were praised big time. Or was it the 2.8's???
Wish I was closer. No way would I buy them without hearing them first. The bases could be repaired/replaced. The drivers on the other hand...
Have always wanted those, but not as bad as a set of Carver Amazing Platinums.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~ Parasound Halo C2 Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ CAT Tiburons (surrounds)
Energy E-XL15s ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One & PS3

Last edited by Iron Maiden; Today at 10:58 AM.
post #53049 of 53052 Unread Today, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Well, somebody got them. I hope they went to a good home. Mine woulda been better tho.
post #53050 of 53052 Unread Today, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Damn. Those are the ones that were praised big time. Or was it the 2.8's???
Wish I was closer. No way would I buy them without hearing them first. The bases could be repaired/replaced. The drivers on the other hand...
Have always wanted those, but not as bad as a set of Carver Amazing Platinums.
The 2.8s are the big brother to the 1.8s and apparently need a very large room for them to sing properly. I haven't heard either, but I would be interested if I found a local pair for a reasonable price as well.
post #53051 of 53052 Unread Today, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Concerning the grilles on the RC's... I find them super nice. Without them the speakers are very "in your face", perfect for demo nights with the guys, etc. With the grilles on, they look like black monoliths, very subdued, very modern, and the kids are not tempted to put their fingers behind the guard on the tweeter. I love being able to remove the grilles but the look would probably wear out more rapidly without

A quick question regarding high output capabilities. The question popped on another thread regarding compression at high levels with aluminum dome tweeters. Basically whether such a tweeter was capable of reaching reference level without compression in a "typical room" (whatever that is) was the issue. Looks to me like it strongly depends on distance to speaker and room dimensions, but is compression in the highs a known issue with the RC's at high listening levels?

I probably wouldn't be able to notice as my own hearing is not very good above 2kHz anyway.

post #53052 of 53052 Unread Today, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 2 energy xl-25 and 1 energy xl-c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page