Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
Can someone give me a pro con on the rc70s vs the cf70s? Just curious how much better the rc70s are, or if the cf70s are any good at all
The C series is quite good for an entry level speaker. Being part of the post-Klipsch buyout Energy models, they have a brighter, more forward sound profile than the RC's, which is probably a good thing for people using them for budget HT because they sound a bit clearer and more dynamic.

The RC's however are much more refined, with a warmer, more laid back sound but still with plenty of clarity and detail. Plus they have signficantly better build quality. Normally, it would be a tougher decision because of the price gap, but with the crazy low prices from Fry's it's a no brainer to go with the RC-70's.
Thanks! I'm somewhat torn because I can get some pristine cf70s for about 450 a pair (might be able to negotiate down to 400), and the closest frys is about 2 hours away, and right now they're running the rcs at 800 pair on their site... I guess I could wait for a crazy sale, but with work I obviously can't always be available if it's a one day thing, and I gotta take into account gas in the pricing, And I guess I'd have to call and negotiate ahead of time to see if I could get a lower price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53102 of 53106 Old Today, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I have RC-10's, RC-70's and LCR. The 70's are much fuller sounding, can handle more power (will not compress at louder volumes) and obviously have more bass.

I'd recommend getting the RC-70's, especially while they are going for $249 each.

And if you play any two channel music you'll appreciate the difference.
Thank you much guys! I'll wait till it goes on sale
Aarghon likes this.
post #53103 of 53106 Old Today, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Thanks! I'm somewhat torn because I can get some pristine cf70s for about 450 a pair (might be able to negotiate down to 400), and the closest frys is about 2 hours away, and right now they're running the rcs at 800 pair on their site... I guess I could wait for a crazy sale, but with work I obviously can't always be available if it's a one day thing, and I gotta take into account gas in the pricing, And I guess I'd have to call and negotiate ahead of time to see if I could get a lower price
At the price the RC70 are right now, the CF line shouldn't even be remotely considered. THe connoisseur line is a fine line, but it gets OBLITERATED TO OBLIVION by the reference connoisseur line at the price they are right now. Simple as that. Just wait for a sale on the RC70s. You will be thankful for the little wait.

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #53104 of 53106 Old Today, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I've read back the thread a little, I'm somewhat repeating what Batpig and others said. Get the rc70 guddangit.

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #53105 of 53106 Unread Today, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I'm not regretting it. Not for the quality I got for my money.
My little head to head, Veritas 2.2i's vs RC-70's, ended in no clear winner. I've lived with my Veritas for over 10 years. Through the 2.2's in 01'-03', to the 2.2i's in late 03' as replacements.
Many different component configurations. With that said, I love these Veritas. My current setup has them sounding better than they ever have.
The RC-70's when first hooked up, were flat. Did not sound good at all. So I played some pretty dynamic music through them for several hours. Then got caught up on a few episodes of Justified playing just through them for a few hours. This morning, played some bass demo cd's I have from my car audio days. Figured it would be a great way to loosen up the drivers. Tons of serious bass and lots of crisp highs. I'm shocked how much bass these things can kick out. I had them playing way louder than I would normally listen to music and these things pound and the woofers never really seem like they are being worked hard. I figured I would need to back off the volume to keep the cones from jumping out of the cabinets. Yet they never really seemed to be working hard??? 300+ watts pushing them too. They must have some type of subsonic filter built into the crossovers to protect the drivers??? The cd's I played have bass notes well below 20hz and one of them does a sweep from 5hz on up. The drivers didn't start jumping until they started to output bass. Something my subwoofer and even Veritas don't do with these cd's. Kind of why I'm thinking these towers have some sort of protection built into them. Maybe I'm wrong, but these drivers never really seem to go nuts as if they are being pushed too hard.
Now that they were really pushed, gave my ears a break then fired up some reference cd's and sacd's.
They sound great. Imaging is on par with the Veritas even though they were sitting too close to each other. I just sat in front of the couch. That made them seem quite a bit louder at similar volume settings than the 2.2i's.
All in all, I like the volume and impact you get out of these. I can really crank them up and never really seem like the drivers are in danger. I did start to get listening fatigue though. Something I never get with my Veritas. But it may have been more to do with the extra volume I was pushing through them. Something I don't do with the 2.2i's. I play them hard but not as hard as I was playing the RC-70s. To me, the RC-70's are brighter than the Veritas. Maybe that would change over time. Maybe putting the grilles on would tone it down a bit. I may revisit them down the road as my mains but for now, they got moved to surround duty. The Veritas upper end is just easier to listen to, even if I'm too scared to push them as hard.
I moved them to the side surround location and moved my CATs to the rear surrounds. SACD sounded fantastic. The Veritas up front and the RF's in the rear. Playing a cd through 7ch stereo(party mode) was also fantastic.
Only negative... I had the CAT speakers in the side surround location. However I had them, they kicked ass. I would get fooled all the time hearing things in the house or outside. Repay the scene only to realize it was part of the movie. It was either the positioning of the CAT's or the speakers themselves. I tried to position the RC-70's the same but they sit lower and certainly sound different. Before judging them, I will spend more time playing with the aiming/positioning. Hopefully I find the magic spot and they create the same surround effect the CATs did.
Trying to find a house to buy so hopefully I end up with a room better suited as a theater.
But for $249 a pop, these are a score.

RC-70's aimed at side walls, the CAT's aimed up the back wall.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~ Parasound Halo C2 Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One

Last edited by Iron Maiden; Today at 11:20 PM.
post #53106 of 53106 Unread Today, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
Quote:
At the price the RC70 are right now, the CF line shouldn't even be remotely considered. THe connoisseur line is a fine line, but it gets OBLITERATED TO OBLIVION by the reference connoisseur line at the price they are right now. Simple as that. Just wait for a sale on the RC70s. You will be thankful for the little wait.
Yeah, I think you're right. I'll wait on it and see when they go back on a big sale. Thanks for the advice guys!
post #53107 of 53106 Unread Today, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I think you're right. I'll wait on it and see when they go back on a big sale. Thanks for the advice guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page