Energy Owners Thread - Page 1788 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 170Likes
post #53611 of 53631 Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I'm new here I just purchased a Denon X1100w and a pair of CB-10 and I love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53612 of 53631 Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I find it odd that your LCR came in at 100hz. Do you have the ports plugged?
Yeah, I wanna say it sets mine to 60hz or 40hz.
post #53613 of 53631 Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked: 1884
In my experience, RC-LCR with ports open comes in at 60Hz or sometimes 40Hz, with the ports plugged I get 80-100Hz

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #53614 of 53631 Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Kyzr View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here I just purchased a Denon X1100w and a pair of CB-10 and I love it
Welcome to the Energy club.
post #53615 of 53631 Old Today, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys,
I stated this thread it would be great if you guys could weigh in or consider trying my proposal.

Modifying Energy RC 70

Speakers: Boston Acoustics VS260, VS325C; Surround: Mirage Omni 550; Subwoofer: Polk PSW350
Receiver: Sony DA5300ES

Last edited by madhuxs; Today at 08:35 AM.
post #53616 of 53631 Old Today, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone used a 3rd rc 70 as opposed to the rc lcr for center? I have space for another rc 70 center, I could move the lcr to surround and buy another lcr from frys.
post #53617 of 53631 Old Today, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Schulz View Post
Has anyone used a 3rd rc 70 as opposed to the rc lcr for center? I have space for another rc 70 center, I could move the lcr to surround and buy another lcr from frys.
I've read about someone using that setup somewhere. Ideally that's what you'd want, 3xRC-70's for perfect timbre matching. Plus, the MTM center channel is a terrible center channel design, but unfortunately most people (like me) have to use because of size/location constraints. But if you can do 3xRC-70's I would do it
Sam Schulz likes this.
post #53618 of 53631 Old Today, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
I've read about someone using that setup somewhere. Ideally that's what you'd want, 3xRC-70's for perfect timbre matching. Plus, the MTM center channel is a terrible center channel design, but unfortunately most people (like me) have to use because of size/location constraints. But if you can do 3xRC-70's I would do it
If frys was shipping the lcr I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sitting on a 3.1. 450$ for a 70 and lcr is a killer deal shipped.
post #53619 of 53631 Old Today, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello folks,

I'm in the process of redoing our home theater room and took down six Energy Encore 2s and an Energy Encore 1 that I had set up years ago in a 7.1 configuration. Apparently, the last time my boys were in town from college, they overdid it in the volume department and blew some of the tweeters and a couple of woofers. I'd like to get them repaired before parting with them, but am unable to find replacement drivers anywhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts!
post #53620 of 53631 Old Today, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdelauz View Post
Hello folks,

I'm in the process of redoing our home theater room and took down six Energy Encore 2s and an Energy Encore 1 that I had set up years ago in a 7.1 configuration. Apparently, the last time my boys were in town from college, they overdid it in the volume department and blew some of the tweeters and a couple of woofers. I'd like to get them repaired before parting with them, but am unable to find replacement drivers anywhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts!
It's going to be difficult to find replacement drivers for models that old. And they honestly aren't worth that much anymore. If you get back to a complete 5.1 setup to sell them as a package, I would just check eBay and pick up an extra satellite or two and then sell the broken ones as a package on eBay for parts/repair. Or just part them out and sell the good ones individually.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #53621 of 53631 Old Today, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been patiently waiting on the RC-LCR to come back in stock. All I need.......

Frys can't even commit to when they will ship again either unfortunately.
post #53622 of 53631 Old Today, 12:18 PM

Quote:
If frys was shipping the lcr I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sitting on a 3.1. 450$ for a 70 and lcr is a killer deal shipped.
Ah. From what I've read an RC-70 or even an RC-10 would be better as a center than the LCR, because of the fundamentally flawed horizontal center design. Here's one of the articles I've read about this. The Klipsch thread guys have been talking about this a lot too

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614
post #53623 of 53631 Old Today, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Ah. From what I've read an RC-70 or even an RC-10 would be better as a center than the LCR, because of the fundamentally flawed horizontal center design. Here's one of the articles I've read about this. The Klipsch thread guys have been talking about this a lot too

Maybe not.

From a sound and vision review of the RC series - about the RC-LCR:

"The RC-LCR (and the RC-R) also employs a 2" inverted aluminum dome midrange—perhaps the most unusual driver in the system.

Two of these are used in the RC-LCR center channel speaker, flanking the main tweeter in a diagonal layout. If you're thinking, as I first did, that this 2" driver is one of those "full-range" units found in many of today's cheap computer speakers, you'd be wrong.

According to Energy, this complex driver has a free air resonance of 200Hz (exceptionally low for such a small driver) with a response that extends flat to 8000Hz. But it isn't used over this full range. The specified crossover points (in the RC-LCR) are 600Hz and 2.5kHz.

The construction of this small midrange driver may be seen in the two accompanying photos, one showing the unmounted driver, the other an exploded diagram of its internal construction. The external inverted dome is actually part of a unique cone/dome combination, said to result in flat on-axis frequency response, wide dispersion, increased sensitivity, and low distortion.

Both this midrange and the main tweeter use small but powerful Neodymium magnets. This allows all three drivers to be positioned very close together. Both the midranges and tweeter also have their own critically damped rear chambers, allowing relatively low crossover points.

These design characteristics, together the 3-way configuration, are claimed to provide the RC-LCR with optimum dispersion. In theory this should minimize the off-axis response irregularities that plague most 2-way channel speakers that use a horizontal, woofer-tweeter-woofer orientation."

From personal experience, I have two RC-LCR's in my main system (used flat, with RC 50's, RC 10's and RC mini's) and a bedroom system (used upright, with RC-10's and RC mini cc's as surrounds).

The RC-LCR performs great in both instances, especially in the main system, since I listen to music both in the central area and at about 45 degrees to the side quite a bit.

Both sound excellent using SACD's and DVD-A's as well as FLAC lossless music (Oppos on both systems), so while there may be a difference, it's not something I've noticed.
post #53624 of 53631 Old Today, 12:56 PM

Yeah I haven't been able to test with 3xRC-70's, and I have 2xRC-70's and an LCR and it seems fine. But I've read a few articles lately stating a horizontal center is not ideal. I'm not advocating this or anything, just pointing out the idea
post #53625 of 53631 Old Today, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, plugs are in. Its up tight against tight against the fireplace. Should I leave it set at 100hz?
post #53626 of 53631 Old Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post
Quote:
Yes, plugs are in. Its up tight against tight against the fireplace. Should I leave it set at 100hz?
In that case leave it at 100hz where Audyssey set it.

Raise the 70s up to 60hz/small and the rest at 80hz and you are good to go.
post #53627 of 53631 Old Today, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah I haven't been able to test with 3xRC-70's, and I have 2xRC-70's and an LCR and it seems fine. But I've read a few articles lately stating a horizontal center is not ideal. I'm not advocating this or anything, just pointing out the idea
I'm considering 3 rc 70s up front(have 2) and 2 lcrs side surrounds(have 1) or 5 rc 70s all around(need 3 more)(useless lcr)
post #53628 of 53631 Old Today, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna try my lcr vertically for movie tonight.
post #53629 of 53631 Old Today, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
I actually agree with you that you want three identical speakers across your fronts, but in the case you can't, the LCR is not a bad compromise.

3 RC70's would be sweet in my opinion.
post #53630 of 53631 Unread Today, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I actually agree with you that you want three identical speakers across your fronts, but in the case you can't, the LCR is not a bad compromise.

3 RC70's would be sweet in my opinion.
I think I'm going to buy at least 1 while there on sale and post a pic for u guys
post #53631 of 53631 Unread Today, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna try my lcr vertically for movie tonight.
Let us know what you think. I'm not even sure it I would be able to tell the difference, I dunno. It would be better to get someone else and blindfold them or something, do a blind test. haha
Sam Schulz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page