Energy Owners Thread - Page 1790 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 176Likes

post #53671 of 53696 Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabski View Post
New Energy owner here. Just had 2 RC-70s delivered Friday. I'm patiently breaking them in now. Got them for the $249 price.... Outstanding speakers for the money.
I tried to get the RC-LCR at the sale price, but it was store pickup only, and I live 264 miles from the nearest Frys. I ALMOST bought it and made a road trip,, but backed out.
Now the price is way high.
Do you think they'll offer the $199 price with shipping again?
Just wondering what the trend has been....
Terry
Where are you located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53672 of 53696 Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Do you think the 28's are a step up sonically from the RC-70's? I imagine the smaller 15's are probably more comparable.
It's safe to say they are a sonic step up. More detail than the 70's, but still super smooth. Obviously they have substantially more bass output, which can be problematic without RC unless you have a gigantic room (and might not matter if you use with subs). The soundstage is the sweetness for the OMD-28's though. When I first got the 28's, I put them in the same room as the Veritas 1.8's . The width of soundstage was comparable, but the depth of the 28's was astonishing. I still preferred the 1.8's for 2-channel music listening.

The soundstage of the 28's seems to be largely unaffected by moving them to the TV room. So I'm not unhappy that the wife told me to keep them there instead of putting the RC-70's back in their place

Quote:
I would definitley love a pair of mahogany 1.8's! That's sort of my pipe dream speaker. Since you are in AZ, I can assume you're making an oblique reference to these? http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/4969864672.html
I was! I went and took a look at those and unfortunately they looked a little rough. The seller and I were off by a couple Benjamin's, otherwise I would have been trying out a quadrophonic Veritas 1.8 system!

Quote:
Considering I already have 13 speakers and 2 subwoofers stashed away (plus the room I'm going to use has in-ceiling speakers already) I'm basically set to run a full 11ch Atmos setup without spending a dime on speakers, so I'll have to leave that dream in the pipe for the time being.
That's a lot of (Energy?) speakers! Hopefully you'll get to start enjoying those soon (with Atmos)!

BTW - Sorry for dropping out for so long. I had to go on an extended business trip. Still on it, but more free time now
post #53673 of 53696 Old 04-29-2015, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuxs View Post
Hey guys,
I stated this thread it would be great if you guys could weigh in or consider trying my proposal.

Modifying Energy RC 70
I've wondered for a while now how disconnecting the crossovers and doing some active bi-amping would work out on the RC-70's. You should be able to achieve optimum crossover without being an electronics wiz. If you're not familiar with the process and/or have the right hardware, it might still be a bit of a challenge. That's been my barrier to attempting it (and time ).
post #53674 of 53696 Old 04-29-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabski View Post
New Energy owner here. Just had 2 RC-70s delivered Friday. I'm patiently breaking them in now. Got them for the $249 price.... Outstanding speakers for the money.
I tried to get the RC-LCR at the sale price, but it was store pickup only, and I live 264 miles from the nearest Frys. I ALMOST bought it and made a road trip,, but backed out.
Now the price is way high.
Do you think they'll offer the $199 price with shipping again?
Just wondering what the trend has been....
Terry
Even $219 or $229 with free shipping is cheaper than you making the drive..

Afro GT
post #53675 of 53696 Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I currently have 2x RC-10, an RC-LCR, and a S10.3. I've noticed that RC-70s are on the market again, would like to use them for L and R channels but am wondering why they're so cheap. Are they a lower build quality than the old ones or are they same? Anything else I should know before jumping on a pair when Fry's puts them on sale again?

Moo.
post #53676 of 53696 Old 04-30-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcslayermack View Post
Hey guys, I currently have 2x RC-10, an RC-LCR, and a S10.3. I've noticed that RC-70s are on the market again, would like to use them for L and R channels but am wondering why they're so cheap. Are they a lower build quality than the old ones or are they same? Anything else I should know before jumping on a pair when Fry's puts them on sale again?
Nobody really knows WHY they have become so cheap. But remember that these are 10 year old designs which have been "officially" discontinued for about 3-4 years, so all of the "loaded cost" of initial R&D, marketing etc. has probably been fully absorbed long ago. Plus Energy has been bought out twice in the intervening years, first by Klipsch and then Klipsch group was bought out by Audiovox.

Not sure if you are familiar with the recent history but after the RC line was discontinued, Vanns struck up some sort of special exclusive arrangement where they continued to offer RC-70, RC-10 and RC-LCR models in black for a couple of years at pretty steeply discounted prices. Vanns declared bankruptcy and the RC's disappeared for a while, and then suddenly they reappeared at Fry's, so presumably a new special exclusive arrangement was made with Audiovox.

In terms of pricing, besides the factor I noted initially (Audiovox producing these now doesn't have to account for the R&D costs of Energy 10-12 years ago, and there is zero marketing) it's probably safe to assume that Audiovox has been able to lower production costs due to scale (they are a huge country with likely a vast array of connections to Chinese production). Plus it wouldn't be surprising if they have cut minor corners, e.g. using a slightly cheaper MDF for the cabinets, cheaper components in the crossover, etc. AFAIK nobody has taken apart an "old" RC-70 vs a new one and examined the crossovers or other internal components. I doubt any of the changes result in much if any audible difference -- those who've owned older and newer haven't reported any decrease in sound quality. They probably save some money on distribution by having an exclusive arrangement with one vendor.

Originally RC-70's sold for $1k apiece. Probably safe to assume wholesale cost was around 35-40% of that, so maybe $350-400? So now 10 years later, due to various factors like I've speculated about above, they've managed to cut that cost in half to $175-200ish... that gives them enough margin to sell them at $250/each on sales. This is all just spitballing on my part.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #53677 of 53696 Old 04-30-2015, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Nobody really knows WHY they have become so cheap. But remember that these are 10 year old designs which have been "officially" discontinued for about 3-4 years, so all of the "loaded cost" of initial R&D, marketing etc. has probably been fully absorbed long ago. Plus Energy has been bought out twice in the intervening years, first by Klipsch and then Klipsch group was bought out by Audiovox.

Not sure if you are familiar with the recent history but after the RC line was discontinued, Vanns struck up some sort of special exclusive arrangement where they continued to offer RC-70, RC-10 and RC-LCR models in black for a couple of years at pretty steeply discounted prices. Vanns declared bankruptcy and the RC's disappeared for a while, and then suddenly they reappeared at Fry's, so presumably a new special exclusive arrangement was made with Audiovox.

In terms of pricing, besides the factor I noted initially (Audiovox producing these now doesn't have to account for the R&D costs of Energy 10-12 years ago, and there is zero marketing) it's probably safe to assume that Audiovox has been able to lower production costs due to scale (they are a huge country with likely a vast array of connections to Chinese production). Plus it wouldn't be surprising if they have cut minor corners, e.g. using a slightly cheaper MDF for the cabinets, cheaper components in the crossover, etc. AFAIK nobody has taken apart an "old" RC-70 vs a new one and examined the crossovers or other internal components. I doubt any of the changes result in much if any audible difference -- those who've owned older and newer haven't reported any decrease in sound quality. They probably save some money on distribution by having an exclusive arrangement with one vendor.

Originally RC-70's sold for $1k apiece. Probably safe to assume wholesale cost was around 35-40% of that, so maybe $350-400? So now 10 years later, due to various factors like I've speculated about above, they've managed to cut that cost in half to $175-200ish... that gives them enough margin to sell them at $250/each on sales. This is all just spitballing on my part.
Thanks for the quick reply batpig! That answers my question. I was afraid there was something everyone on this thread new about the new models but if that isn't the case, I'll buy with confidence and finish up my system. I'm so excited!

Moo.
post #53678 of 53696 Old 04-30-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I bought a pair or RC-10's 6 years ago and another pair last year. They sound and weigh the same and build quality is the same too.

Bought a pair or RC-70's about 27 months ago from Fry's. The weight was the same as the original RC-70's and sound great. Build quality is excellent. It would be difficult to find another tower speaker for $250 with this build quality and sound.

If you've got a Fry's close by its a no brainer to try them out when on sale. You can always return if you don't like them.

Afro GT
post #53679 of 53696 Old 05-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been looking for a pair of surrounds to match with my pair of RC-70 and RC-LCR setup. I'll be getting the RC-10's for rears, an SVS PB-1000 for the sub, with a Denon X2100W receiver. Been waiting for an RC-R pair or Veritas V-S pair to come up used, but are there any other surrounds that you guys recommend with a budget of ~$300? I know it's not too important to match the surrounds. I've looked into the Polk FXiA4's, any comments on those? Thanks!
post #53680 of 53696 Old 05-01-2015, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbonyc View Post
I've been looking for a pair of surrounds to match with my pair of RC-70 and RC-LCR setup. I'll be getting the RC-10's for rears, an SVS PB-1000 for the sub, with a Denon X2100W receiver. Been waiting for an RC-R pair or Veritas V-S pair to come up used, but are there any other surrounds that you guys recommend with a budget of ~$300? I know it's not too important to match the surrounds. I've looked into the Polk FXiA4's, any comments on those? Thanks!
Yeah I'm in the same boat too. I'm picking up some Energy C-R3's tomorrow for $75, hopefully they'll match up ok.
post #53681 of 53696 Old 05-01-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found these up by Seattle. Opinions on the price? Seems like he might be a little optimistic with his pricing since they were about $3000 new for the pair and I have seen a smattering of postings of people finding them for $500-$800 per speaker and it looks like Crutchfield closed them out for $800 per speaker.

Energy Veritas V-6.3 Audiophile Floor Standing Speakers - $2500 (Burien)

In box; Energy Veritas V 6.3 floor standing speakers

All original boxes, packaging, paperwork, accessories, etc... Flawless hifi stereo speakers. These are new, out of the box Hi Fi speakers that will not disappoint. Purchased, and does not fit the room décor.

Compare to any audiophile speaker.
< >

Last edited by loknload; 05-01-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #53682 of 53696 Old 05-01-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
My opinion on the price is that it's a total ripoff, there is no way he will EVER get that much for them trying to sell on Craigslist.

You always get these jokers who post items on Craigslist or eBay for ridiculously inflated prices. Some of them are so stubborn and/or so hopeful they will find a sucker that they will list items for YEARS without adjusting the price. There is a guy here in San Diego who has been trying to sell a pair of older Connoisseur C-4 speakers for, literally, over EIGHT YEARS. It doesn't seem to have sunk in that they are overpriced!!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #53683 of 53696 Old 05-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree. I would be much more comfortable and inclined to drive the 2 1/2 hours to get them if they were $1000 for the pair.
post #53684 of 53696 Old 05-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbonyc View Post
FXiA 6 here. ;-)
post #53685 of 53696 Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
I agree. I would be much more comfortable and inclined to drive the 2 1/2 hours to get them if they were $1000 for the pair.
If they're brand new I personally think they are worth at least 1k for the pair. I found what I considered to be a good deal on mine for 1050 for the pair plus the matching 5.2 center and mine were used. I love the speakers. I think they sound really good.
post #53686 of 53696 Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...rywood-finish/

This probably won't help your cause, but you might point out this ad to the seller of the pair you're looking at and ask him nicely to re-consider his asking price. 900 Canadian dollars is equal to 740 US dollars. Too bad they are nowhere near you.

Last edited by brendelac; Yesterday at 08:22 AM.
post #53687 of 53696 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
[QUOTE=afrogt;33905130]
It would be difficult to find another tower speaker for $250 with this build quality and sound.

That was the exact sentiment a few years ago by some reviewers when retail here in BC was $1250......... each.

Yamaha HTR 6190, Mains Energy RC-70, Center Energy V5.2C
Surrounds Energy V2.0R, Rears Energy V-Mini, Subs Omni S10 and Omni FRx-S10
Sharp 52" LCD, Toshiba BR Player, Apple TV, 27" iMac
post #53688 of 53696 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 489
$2,500 for the speakers is totally ridiculous ,he probably paid $1,200 ,that's what I paid for my Veritas V towers brand new with free shipping.

This guy want more than double of what he paid for the speakers.

Living Room:Panasonic 65"VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 / 2 PSA XS30 / Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds / Sonos Connect / Roku3 /Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / PS4 / HTPC / Darbee 5000 / Sonos Play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathrooms / Master Bedroom: Panasonic 55"VT60 / Sonos Sound Bar / Sonos Sub and Sonos Play 1 Surrounds/Vizio LED in 3 Bedrooms and Dining Room.

post #53689 of 53696 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
$2,500 for the speakers is totally ridiculous ,he probably paid $1,200 ,that's what I paid for my Veritas V towers brand new with free shipping.

This guy want more than double of what he paid for the speakers.
Agreed...total ripoff. I paid $429 each for brand new V6.3's in Rosenut back in December 2013, which I think were a rarer find than the black.

post #53690 of 53696 Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Have always found the Veritas line odd. The original 2.8/1.8's are considered the best of all of them. Then the second generation came out and it took them a revision to the I series to get those right. Then the final generation to me just looks like a nicer looking Reference Connoisseur. Same designer as I understand it. Wouldn't you think they would have got better as they progressed? Never heard the newer ones shown above, what is different from the RC-70s? Drivers look the same. Tapered crossovers.
Was the designer ever interviewed about his Veritas history? I still remember the 2.8's/1.8's being raved about in mags and on covers, Yet they were not around very long. The 2nd gen came around and had a pretty long run. Curious why the designer went away from the dome mid that was a Veritas trademark. Can anyone comment on the tweeters in the 3rd gens, are they basically the RC tweets or are they different? Compare to the older Veritas tweets?

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~Onkyo TX-NR3008 as my Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
post #53691 of 53696 Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Good read on this topic..
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...-review.74852/

I didn't realize the final Veritas line(3rd gens) were designed under the Klipsch era. Guess it answers my question as to why they went away with the dome mids. Shame the true Veritas designer didn't get a 3rd go at that line.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~Onkyo TX-NR3008 as my Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One

Last edited by Iron Maiden; Yesterday at 10:37 PM.
post #53692 of 53696 Old Today, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Energy RC-70 is back at Frys for $249 Each.

It seems $249 is regular sale price every other week and it may touch $199 occasionally during big sale.
post #53693 of 53696 Old Today, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Good read on this topic..
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...-review.74852/

I didn't realize the final Veritas line(3rd gens) were designed under the Klipsch era. Guess it answers my question as to why they went away with the dome mids. Shame the true Veritas designer didn't get a 3rd go at that line.
Pretty good summary. I've no experience with the Klipsch veritas, and some prefer it, IMO I lucked out getting my two RC systems before the fall. So the lingering RC's to me are a very good deal if (as reported) they perform similar to the originals.
post #53694 of 53696 Old Today, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Agreed...total ripoff. I paid $429 each for brand new V6.3's in Rosenut back in December 2013, which I think were a rarer find than the black.
Wow I wish I could have bought another pair for this price.
post #53695 of 53696 Old Today, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Have always found the Veritas line odd. The original 2.8/1.8's are considered the best of all of them. Then the second generation came out and it took them a revision to the I series to get those right. Then the final generation to me just looks like a nicer looking Reference Connoisseur. Same designer as I understand it. Wouldn't you think they would have got better as they progressed? Never heard the newer ones shown above, what is different from the RC-70s? Drivers look the same. Tapered crossovers.
Was the designer ever interviewed about his Veritas history? I still remember the 2.8's/1.8's being raved about in mags and on covers, Yet they were not around very long. The 2nd gen came around and had a pretty long run. Curious why the designer went away from the dome mid that was a Veritas trademark. Can anyone comment on the tweeters in the 3rd gens, are they basically the RC tweets or are they different? Compare to the older Veritas tweets?
Unfortunately, making a higher quality product does not make the profit that lower quality chinese manufacturing does. With the 2.8s MSRP of $6000 back in their production days (1993-2001 I think?). Translate that into today's dollars and then add the cost of a matching center and surround speakers. How many of us Energy fans would be able and willing to buy their product, regardless of how good it is?

Last edited by brendelac; Today at 08:48 AM.
post #53696 of 53696 Old Today, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Planning to get a pair of RC70 from Frys. I'm not a hardcore audiophile. The system may just stay 2.0 or at max 3.1 in the future. If I pick up the Denon AVRS500, will it be too underkilled for the RC70's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page