Energy Owners Thread - Page 1791 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 184Likes
post #53701 of 53723 Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
The RC's were great. Did a lot better than my Veritas. But the tweeters give me ear fatigue.
that's very weird RC tweeter are not fatiguing at all.

Nobody here will agree with that description about the RC.

Living Room:Panasonic 65"VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 / 2 PSA XS30 / Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds / Sonos Connect / Roku3 /Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / PS4 / HTPC / Darbee 5000 / Sonos Play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathrooms / Master Bedroom: Panasonic 55"VT60 / Sonos Sound Bar / Sonos Sub and Sonos Play 1 Surrounds/Vizio LED in 3 Bedrooms and Dining Room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53702 of 53723 Old 05-04-2015, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Compact Bedroom System...?

This is a slightly different post from me, as I'm typically asking about larger speakers...

I'm looking for a relatively small / compact bedroom system, as I've finally got around to mounting a TV in there. I had been using some Logitech Z5500 speakers in there up until now, but since they would be a bit odd to use with a receiver (logitech system is self-powered and needs an optical feed for surround), I'd prefer to use a system that can be plugged directly into my smaller Yamaha HDMI receiver, which has been unused as of late.

Is there any good recommendations within the Energy -- or non-Energy -- lines that might be recommended? From what

I've read on here, the take classic 5.1 set sounds decent for the cost, and there's the spinoff Monoprice version of it (I'd need a link to that though, to know which it is)...but beyond that, I don't really know what to look for. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but would like it to sound at least decently good. Built-in wall mounting capabilities would be the main requirement I can really think of. I know a budget would be helpful, but I don't know how much to expect from a given price range for speakers of that sort.

Thankfully the Logitech Z5500's seem to have somewhat of a cult-following in the PC-user world these days, so I may be able to sell them via Craigslist or (less preferably) eBay for a decent price & make back most (or surpass) my costs.

Suggestions very welcome!
post #53703 of 53723 Old 05-04-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

While I haven't heard them myself, that's very true -- not something I've ever really read described in regard to the RC-70's on here. I will say though, that the 2.2i's are very, very smooth in not fatiguing my ears...whereas all the other (decently good) Energy speakers I've owned over time (5.1e's, C-8's, APS 5+2's) did start to fatigue me over time. I think if you split the difference between those and the 2.2i's, perhaps that'd be somewhere where the RC-70's would fall tweeter-wise (though I'd guess closer to the 2.2i's than the C-8's, etc).

So perhaps there is a bit of a difference, but something we'd only be able to really notice from someone who has owned both?

Pure speculation on my part...
Iron Maiden likes this.
post #53704 of 53723 Old 05-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Live with the Veritas i series for 10+ years and then switch to the RCs. Then judge my opinion. Key word, opinion. To me, they are. But that is compared to my Veritas, with my ears. I'm so used to the 2.2i's that switching to the RC70's was very noticeable. Positive in some areas, negative in others. I had also mentioned when I reviewed them that I found myself playing music a bit louder than I do with my Veritas so that very well could be why I felt that way. Although I listened at normal levels as well and felt the same, just took longer. Either way I would buy them again. A lot of quality for the money. But I will keep using the 2.2i's as my mains. Until I find a nice pair of 2.4i's. Sooner or later I will find a pair in good shape when I happen to have some spare cash to spend. Almost bought another pair of 2.2i's. Guy wanted 600/pr to close the auction. He was local. I passed.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~Onkyo TX-NR3008 as my Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-04-2015 at 11:54 PM.
post #53705 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb4467 View Post
This is a slightly different post from me, as I'm typically asking about larger speakers...

I'm looking for a relatively small / compact bedroom system, as I've finally got around to mounting a TV in there. I had been using some Logitech Z5500 speakers in there up until now, but since they would be a bit odd to use with a receiver (logitech system is self-powered and needs an optical feed for surround), I'd prefer to use a system that can be plugged directly into my smaller Yamaha HDMI receiver, which has been unused as of late.

Is there any good recommendations within the Energy -- or non-Energy -- lines that might be recommended? From what

I've read on here, the take classic 5.1 set sounds decent for the cost, and there's the spinoff Monoprice version of it (I'd need a link to that though, to know which it is)...but beyond that, I don't really know what to look for. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but would like it to sound at least decently good. Built-in wall mounting capabilities would be the main requirement I can really think of. I know a budget would be helpful, but I don't know how much to expect from a given price range for speakers of that sort.

Thankfully the Logitech Z5500's seem to have somewhat of a cult-following in the PC-user world these days, so I may be able to sell them via Craigslist or (less preferably) eBay for a decent price & make back most (or surpass) my costs.

Here's the Monoprice 5.1 system for 180+ .
johnb4467 likes this.
post #53706 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:

Quote:
While I haven't heard them myself, that's very true -- not something I've ever really read described in regard to the RC-70's on here. I will say though, that the 2.2i's are very, very smooth in not fatiguing my ears...whereas all the other (decently good) Energy speakers I've owned over time (5.1e's, C-8's, APS 5+2's) did start to fatigue me over time. I think if you split the difference between those and the 2.2i's, perhaps that'd be somewhere where the RC-70's would fall tweeter-wise (though I'd guess closer to the 2.2i's than the C-8's, etc).

So perhaps there is a bit of a difference, but something we'd only be able to really notice from someone who has owned both?

Pure speculation on my part...
Quote:
Live with the Veritas i series for 10+ years and then switch to the RCs. Then judge my opinion. Key word, opinion. To me, they are. But that is compared to my Veritas, with my ears. I'm so used to the 2.2i's that switching to the RC70's was very noticeable.
I think the key is that this was a RELATIVE comparison. Having had the RC-10's side by side with the V2.1's for a while, I can certainly attest that the 2nd gen Veritas tweeter is amazing, simultaneously being more detailed than the RC tweeter but ALSO smoother and cleaner, it feels effortless when pushed to high volumes where the RC begins to strain.

So I don't think Iron Maiden was saying that the RC's have a "fatiguing" or harsh tweeter in an absolute sense -- certainly if you compared them to similar priced comps like Paradigm Studio, Monitor Audio, or even the 3rd gen Veritas the RC tweeter is going to be considered the least fatiguing. But relative the 2nd gen Veritas they are a clear notch below in terms of smoothness and clarity.
Iron Maiden likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #53707 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Revel Performa3 speakers.
I'm looking at that route also, did you get the F208 or 206's?

I bet those are night and day difference between the Energy line?
post #53708 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well it all depends of course on how much you want to spend relative to how much quality you are looking for.

The Energy Take Classic set is certainly a viable option and quite affordable (especially used) -- they are small and can wall mount via keyhole slot or (since they are so light) inexpensive wall mounts from Monoprice if you need more aiming. If you want to go ultra small there are also the RC-Micros which are going to be a bit more refined in sound but also "leaner" because of the smaller woofer and cabinet. But they are teeny.

Other excellent and affordable small speaker options (non Energy) would be Mirage Nanosats and Definitive Technology ProCinema series. The Def Techs are probably the least budget friendly unless you pounce on a good used deal. They are very popular and sound great but are a little brighter and more forward than the Energys.

If you want to up the quality level and are willing to piece together a set from the used market the RC-Mini / V-Mini speakers are a significant step forward in quality and refinement. But it would take some time to track them down on the used market.

You could also mix and match a bit -- for example Mirage Nanosats are pretty easy to find on the used market and with their wider omnipolar radiation they would make good surrounds. So if you could only find RC-Mini's for front 3 speakers you could use a pair of Nanosats for surrounds no problem.

All that said, I have a personal favorite -- the KEF "egg" speakers sound terrific and are readily available cheap on the used market. I bought a full 5.1 setup of the HTS 2005.2 set (the ".2" means it's the 2nd generation of this package from what I can tell) for about $200 off Craigslist. Here's one review: http://www.cnet.com/products/kef-kht2005-2/

The setup was $1,500 when it was new 10 years ago so it's more comparable in price/quality to the RC-Mini's and a definite step above the Takes. The build quality is awesome -- they are shockingly heavy and solid -- and a great benefit is that they have a very flexible built-in mounting system. The little built in "foot" can attach to the "egg" at various points, so it can be either a stand or a wall mounting system, also alllowing the speaker to be oriented vertically or horizontally. And because it's a concentric speaker array (tweeter inside the woofer) there is zero difference in sound quality when you change orientation -- the dispersion is perfectly conical.

I bought these to use as small, flexible Atmos speakers and will be hanging four of them off the ceiling for overheads when I move into my new house in a few weeks. I've AB'd them with my RC-Mini bookshelfs and they are very, very close in sound quality. They are capable of playing very loud without strain.

There are other incarnations with different model numbers (e.g. the set I have is the HTS 2005.2 but the model number of the satellites is the KHT 2001.2... the newer version I think is HTS3001) so you have to look around and then google a bit to figure out exactly what they are. I would just make sure to get the larger eggs with the 4"+ woofer not the tiny ones.

I just checked eBay and there is a guy in Yuba City selling two pairs for $125/pair with free shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-KEF-HTS300...-/261872403341

They appear to be a more recent generation, you can see on Amazon the set they came with was $2k so $250 for 4 of the speakers is a great deal: http://www.amazon.com/KEF-KHT3005BL-.../dp/B0011NPHWQ

If you are OK with the alien egg aesthetics I think they are an unbeatable bargain for a small room speaker setup.
johnb4467 likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #53709 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks Pig for your insight. You understood what I was trying to say. I've lived with my 2.2i speakers for so long that it is my baseline. Every other speaker that enters my system is referenced against them. That said, my ears must be tuned for those tweeters and they are my sweet spot so to speak. The RC70's are still in my system, I will not get rid of them. I am running them as front wides now in a 7.2 system. My usually music listening is in an "All Chn Stereo" mode so all seven speakers and two subs are playing. Sounds fantastic. If I sit down to do any critical listening, I just play the 2.2i's and my subs.
I tried the RC70's in my surround positions but for whatever reason the CAT speakers I have sound better back there but I'm sure it is just a positioning thing. The CATs are in a magical spot and just simply perform great for surround duty. House hunting now so who know how they will be arranged in the next room. I'm hoping to find some 2.4i or 2.3i's to swap in as my mains and move the 2,2i's to the wide positions. Then, find an extra 2.2i to use as my center, and move the RC70's to the rear.
Already have 4 Monitor Audio 8" ceiling speakers for Atmos when I make that move. Plus waiting on my 2 UXL-18 subs to add to the system. What a hobby!!!

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~Onkyo TX-NR3008 as my Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (side surrounds)
CAT Tiburons(rear surr) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
post #53710 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Iron Maiden I apologize ,but when someone describe and said (ear fatigue) I will automatically think that the high frequencies are bright enough to make people turn off the system after some time,also very loud volumes or distorted sound at loud volumes can cause ear fatigue.

again I apologize Iron Maiden.

The RC never give me ear fatigue at any volume and I get tinnitus right after hearing uncomfortable bright sounds, I'm very sensitive to bright sounds ,the reason of the tinnitus is do to playing in a band for many years.

but I understand what you are saying about the comparison between the old Veritas and the RC.

Living Room:Panasonic 65"VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 / 2 PSA XS30 / Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds / Sonos Connect / Roku3 /Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / PS4 / HTPC / Darbee 5000 / Sonos Play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathrooms / Master Bedroom: Panasonic 55"VT60 / Sonos Sound Bar / Sonos Sub and Sonos Play 1 Surrounds/Vizio LED in 3 Bedrooms and Dining Room.

Last edited by losservatore; Yesterday at 04:54 PM.
post #53711 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would describe the V2.2i as crystal clear and smooth, and having the RC-70's as well very nice full sounding speaker but when compared to the Verita speaker as mention not as smooth or crystal clear on the top end. Just my 2 cents worth.
Iron Maiden likes this.

Ive got some stuff
post #53712 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I am running the C-series all the way around (C-C100 center, C-500 fronts, and the C-R100 rears.

I am going to get the RC-LCR and replace the center C-C100.

I was then contemplating getting two RC-70s to replace the fronts....and moving the C-500's to the rear/sides. I would then take the bipolar C-R100s and make the the rear (for 7.1)

What do you guys think?
post #53713 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey0480 View Post
Currently I am running the C-series all the way around (C-C100 center, C-500 fronts, and the C-R100 rears.

I am going to get the RC-LCR and replace the center C-C100.

I was then contemplating getting two RC-70s to replace the fronts....and moving the C-500's to the rear/sides. I would then take the bipolar C-R100s and make the the rear (for 7.1)

What do you guys think?
I think you will be a happy man

The RC's are quite a bit better than your C's. Definitely do all 3 front speakers if you upgrade, not just the center.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #53714 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Plus waiting on my 2 UXL-18 subs to add to the system. What a hobby!!!
You're going to be grinning from ear to ear when you get them going - guaranteed.
Iron Maiden likes this.
post #53715 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I'm looking at that route also, did you get the F208 or 206's?

I bet those are night and day difference between the Energy line?
I have the F206 paired with two PSA XS30.

I opted for the towers with the 6.5" woofers instead of the ones with the 8" woofers because the subs will take care of the low frequency's.

Visit a Revel dealer and send me a message if you like or not their sound,they are from the Harman luxury audio group.

Sorry I'm in a Energy thread and for the respect of the Energy owners I will not answer that question here, but you can send me a message.

Last edited by losservatore; Yesterday at 08:35 PM.
post #53716 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think there's a problem discussing relative performance of other brands in this thread. This has always been a good group of guys and not hypersensitive fanboys
baron2 likes this.
post #53717 of 53723 Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I don't think there's a problem discussing relative performance of other brands in this thread. This has always been a good group of guys and not hypersensitive fanboys

Thanks! I love how they sound ,a very balanced sound from high ,mid and low, just what I wanted.

I was very close to do an experiment with the RC and Veritas V,I was about to buy an lpad attenuator for the RC and Veritas V ,an attenuator for the Veritas V tweeters and attenuator for the RC bass drivers.

but I wasn't sure about the results.

The Revel sound was exactly what I was looking, specially for the price.

post #53718 of 53723 Old Today, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Thanks! I love how they sound ,a very balanced sound from high ,mid and low, just what I wanted.

I was very close to do an experiment with the RC and Veritas V,I was about to buy an lpad attenuator for the RC and Veritas V ,an attenuator for the Veritas V tweeters and attenuator for the RC bass drivers.

but I wasn't sure about the results.

The Revel sound was exactly what I was looking, specially for the price.
Thanks!
PM sent also and was just wondering since you had both and the way I'm thinking about going.
Are you driving them with an amp or a receiver?
Sorry for the intrusion fellow Energy owners.
post #53719 of 53723 Old Today, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Well it all depends of course on how much you want to spend relative to how much quality you are looking for.

The Energy Take Classic set is certainly a viable option and quite affordable (especially used) -- they are small and can wall mount via keyhole slot or (since they are so light) inexpensive wall mounts from Monoprice if you need more aiming. If you want to go ultra small there are also the RC-Micros which are going to be a bit more refined in sound but also "leaner" because of the smaller woofer and cabinet. But they are teeny.

Other excellent and affordable small speaker options (non Energy) would be Mirage Nanosats and Definitive Technology ProCinema series.

You could also mix and match a bit -- for example Mirage Nanosats are pretty easy to find on the used market and with their wider omnipolar radiation they would make good surrounds. So if you could only find RC-Mini's for front 3 speakers you could use a pair of Nanosats for surrounds no problem.

All that said, I have a personal favorite -- the KEF "egg" speakers sound terrific and are readily available cheap on the used market.

If you are OK with the alien egg aesthetics I think they are an unbeatable bargain for a small room speaker setup.
Thanks so much, batpig (which autocorrect keeps wanting to autocorrect to "baptize"...!) -- that's wealth of knowledge & options. I'll have to decide if piecing together a set is a viable option, as I would [of course] prefer to have a nice setup. I'd of course have to bring in a sub independently of the satellites if I do so, though...as my budget-oriented monoprice 10-inch would likely not fit well with nicer speakers either.

I may have to wait and try and sell off the Z5500's first, and at least that way I know I wouldn't be putting myself in the hole a bit. I'm also contemplating selling my [now fixed] A2+2's, if I can't figure out a way to nicely-integrate them as wides in my current main-room setup, which might bring in some funding.

Your suggestions...as always...are dangerous.

If I got the "eggs"...I'd assume I'd need 2 sets (4 speakers) just so I could get a matched front soundstage...?
post #53720 of 53723 Old Today, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Nah, we like to keep our options open.
post #53721 of 53723 Old Today, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks so much, batpig (which autocorrect keeps wanting to autocorrect to "baptize"...!) -- that's wealth of knowledge & options. I'll have to decide if piecing together a set is a viable option, as I would [of course] prefer to have a nice setup. I'd of course have to bring in a sub independently of the satellites if I do so, though...as my budget-oriented monoprice 10-inch would likely not fit well with nicer speakers either.

I may have to wait and try and sell off the Z5500's first, and at least that way I know I wouldn't be putting myself in the hole a bit. I'm also contemplating selling my [now fixed] A2+2's, if I can't figure out a way to nicely-integrate them as wides in my current main-room setup, which might bring in some funding.

Your suggestions...as always...are dangerous.

If I got the "eggs"...I'd assume I'd need 2 sets (4 speakers) just so I could get a matched front soundstage...?
Another option could be the Klipsch Quintet speakers. It's a 5.0 system, still needs a receiver. But I've seen it on slickdeals for $250 I believe. What was your budget again? If the Z5500's are in good shape you should be able to get $200-$250 for them.

Edit: They've been less than $200 http://slickdeals.net/f/7791263-klip...ly-neweggg?v=1

http://slickdeals.net/f/7838941-179-...sale-again?v=1

Those are version 4, apparently the version 5 can handle much more power but costs quite a bit more
post #53722 of 53723 Unread Today, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
Another option could be the Klipsch Quintet speakers. It's a 5.0 system, still needs a receiver. But I've seen it on slickdeals for $250 I believe. What was your budget again? If the Z5500's are in good shape you should be able to get $200-$250 for them.

Edit: They've been less than $200 http://slickdeals.net/f/7791263-klip...ly-neweggg?v=1

http://slickdeals.net/f/7838941-179-...sale-again?v=1

Those are version 4, apparently the version 5 can handle much more power but costs quite a bit more
Thanks so much for the heads-up on another option. I'll have to read up on those as well.
Version 4 would likely be more than fine for me I'd imagine.

Yeah that's the nice part about the Z5500's -- they are indeed in stellar shape. I think I might drag them off the walls so I can take pics and post them up on craigslist or amazon. Seem they do fetch a pretty good price typically.
post #53723 of 53723 Unread Today, 07:55 PM

Was scouring craigslist in search of options for the bedroom system & came across these.
APS 5+2's for $500:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/4999631121.html

I don't see them come up very often, and I sure wish I had this local option a number of years ago when I drove from OC to San Francisco to buy mine!!!
And while they aren't my "main" system anymore (v2 veritas won me over), I still daresay that if I had to move to a small space & could only take one set of speakers with me (and no sub), those may be the ones.

FOUR built-in & powered 8" subs...dedicated tweeters & mids...and a bipolar design for a very expansive soundstage.

Kinda cool to see someone post a pair up...he's right -- they are seemingly very rare.
If you live locally, might be worth checking out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page