Energy Owners Thread - Page 1796 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 206Likes

post #53851 of 53867 Old 05-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The only nearfield measurement for subwoofers was the first one for the Ultimax only. All others were from a single point that I consider to be the MLP. I felt it would be more consistant with my lack of proper measurement equipment to leave the mic stationary at the time.

I agree that there are many more benefits to Audyssey XT32 that cannot be seen in one single point measurement. I sure hope I did not imply that these were to be taken as ideal examples but more for my own curiosity. Perhaps my next day off I will take multi-point measurements and provide the before and after averages. The most important thing is how it sounds and as any who have heard XT32 in action will agree it sounds better than no room equalization.

Thank you for your input batpig, your knowledgeable input in this arena is always a pleasure.

Last edited by sicride; 05-27-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53852 of 53867 Old 05-27-2015, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Unfortunately my Sony AVR does not have Audyssey, and I don't trust the equalization it does have so I leave the calibration "flat".
post #53853 of 53867 Old 05-28-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicride View Post
I sure hope I did not imply that these were to be taken as ideal examples but more for my own curiosity.
Not at all, there was just some commentary about people noting that XT32 might not have done as good of a job as expected, and I just wanted to point out why the measurements you posted might not be sufficient to fully judge whether XT32 acheived its goals. Nothing critical, only explanatory!
mattdub1 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #53854 of 53867 Old 05-28-2015, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was out of town right after I picked up the pair of RC70 from UPS (shipped by Fry's), so the two boxes sit in the garage until today, almost a week after I picked them up. Both boxes look fine on 5 sides (the long side facing up), but the bottom side (the other long side that says FRAGILE and no Energy logo) has some damage on both boxes. One of them is a little bit worse. Two of the styrofoams on the leg side were shattered into 4-5 pieces.

There is no cosmetic damage. I sort of rock the speaker from all direction and no sound of loosing part is heard. However, I will hook them up asap to make sure nothing's broken.

I need some advice on choice of receiver or amp. I'm not a hardcore audiophile. This pair of RC70 will go to the bedroom, may upgrade to 5.1 eventually. Mostly for digital music (CD or bluray concert) and movie (bluray). I thought about getting a stereo receiver for now, but none has HDMI input. My budget is flexible, but rather keep it below $500. Any input is welcomed. Thanks
post #53855 of 53867 Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mond817 View Post
I need some advice on choice of receiver or amp. I'm not a hardcore audiophile. This pair of RC70 will go to the bedroom, may upgrade to 5.1 eventually. Mostly for digital music (CD or bluray concert) and movie (bluray). I thought about getting a stereo receiver for now, but none has HDMI input. My budget is flexible, but rather keep it below $500. Any input is welcomed. Thanks
Any receiver should be fine for your RC70s. They are efficient speakers that don't require much power, especially if they are going in your bedroom. Some people have preferences to certain brands saying they sound better in general or match better with certain speakers. In my limited experience, most if not all modern, similarly priced receivers pretty much sound the same. Features and cost are more of a selling point than brand name and watts.
post #53856 of 53867 Old 05-29-2015, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This looks pretty cool if you have to do a 2.0 setup. Blu-Ray and receiver in one, high quality audio parts. Harmon Kardon Blu-ray receiver $149 on sale at Frys

Maybe just till you save up for something like this Denon AVR-4520CI $799 Refurb at A4L, MSRP is $1599
post #53857 of 53867 Old 05-29-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mond817 View Post
Denon AVR X2000 at accessories4less. More than enough and 269 for a refurb.
post #53858 of 53867 Old 05-29-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Im curious...do any of you use different crossover settings for 2ch music compared to multich movies/music/content? I ask because I have had my v2.8s crossed over at 80hz for everything but just recently started listening to 2ch music with the crossover at 40hz. In my case, it seems to give a bit more of a cohesive sound. One reason for that in my case may be due to the fact that my 2 subs are not up front with my front stage but rather more/less to the left and right of my mlp. When I listen to 2ch content with the higher crossover (eg. 80hz) it seems like the lower freqs "come out more" in a sense that they sound to be placed more in the middle of the room than back where the speakers are, which is why I say "more cohesive" with the lower crossover. Now for multich movies/music/content I still prefer 60hz/80hz crossover since the entire soundfield is more centered to the room and thus it sounds more "cohesive" with the higher crossover setting.

Any input/thoughts from others?
post #53859 of 53867 Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 44
No way to move at least one of your subs up front near your mains?
If I was stuck in that position, with both subs in the rear, I would just run those 2.8's full range with no subs. And just not push them foolishly. You lucky dog with those 2.8's!!!! I hate you! haha
I've never had good luck with 2ch where the sub(s) are not located near the mains. For theater, I've worked with it and had decent results.
My current setup has a 15" sub in the front LEFT corner just outside of the front left V2.2i. Then another 15" sub behind my couch that the Right surround sits on. The rear sub is tuned very low as far as output goes. Just enough to enhance the bass in the room.
Soon, both 15"s will be in the rear and the two UXL18's will be up front either just inside or just outside the mains.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~Onkyo TX-NR3008 as my Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (Front Wides)
CAT Tiburons(Surrounds) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
post #53860 of 53867 Old 05-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for the input! Sounds like your room will be ready for great bass response. Ill be curious to hear how much improvement you get going from 2 subs to 4 since I assume that's why you are added 2 more (better/even response throughout the room). My subs aren't really in the rear as my mlp is about 10ft from the speakers but I have probably another 12-14ft behind me. I don't have any space to put the subs upfront, but really to exercise the whole room I have seen that having 2 subs located close to where I have them is beneficial to balance the room response as opposed to just sticking them in the corners (which just yields more output but not necessarily a better response). That is where I determined the best available location was for me after I did the goofy "subwoofer crawl" haha, and it technically is a corner made up of the side of my couch and side wall) For multch it works great but for 2 channel I just recently (like last night) started with the lower crossover and those were my initial impressions. I started running them large but decided to just use them as "small" with 40hz crossover so that I don't lose anything down below since the speakers would roll off well before my subs (submersive HP+ master/slave combo)...
post #53861 of 53867 Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Looks like the RC70's are on sale today for $229 ea. What happened to $199??? lol

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" fixed Dragonfly Screen ~Onkyo TX-NR3008 as my Pre/Pro
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Crown X1000 ~ Oppo BDP-103
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0c (center) ~ Energy RC-70 (Front Wides)
CAT Tiburons(Surrounds) ~ Sub... custom 15" Diamond Audio Technology ~ Xbox One
post #53862 of 53867 Old 05-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Looks like the RC70's are on sale today for $229 ea. What happened to $199??? lol
Free shipping probably killing that $29/$58 difference.
post #53863 of 53867 Old 05-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
Any receiver should be fine for your RC70s. They are efficient speakers that don't require much power, especially if they are going in your bedroom. Some people have preferences to certain brands saying they sound better in general or match better with certain speakers. In my limited experience, most if not all modern, similarly priced receivers pretty much sound the same. Features and cost are more of a selling point than brand name and watts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Denon AVR X2000 at accessories4less. More than enough and 269 for a refurb.
Thanks guys for the suggestions! I end up getting a brand new Denon S900W from Fry's with the promo code for $279. Ordered cables from monoprice. Now need to keep an eye on Fry's to have LCR and RC10 go on sale. I will pick up a reasonably priced (<$500) sub sooner or later. I'm all ear for any advice

Last edited by mond817; 05-30-2015 at 02:21 PM.
post #53864 of 53867 Old 05-30-2015, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Still waiting for the RC-10 to go onsale.
post #53865 of 53867 Old 06-01-2015, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
199 was only good for 1 with promo code
249 0n the second one, sold out in like 24 hrs.

i pulled trigger got a set on the brown truck.
Iron Maiden likes this.
post #53866 of 53867 Old Today, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
rc-70 will be here today.
have an rc-lcr on its way for a center.

would a pair of RVSS make good surrounds, are they worth 100.00 for a pair?
have pair of cb-20 i could use also, or my old take 5 speakers
post #53867 of 53867 Old Today, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
They're definitely worth 100 bucks as long as they are still in good shape. I've heard many Energy speakers from that era and they have all been excellent and good values at their price point.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page