Energy Owners Thread - Page 1803 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 228Likes
post #54061 of 54082 Old 07-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
Are you near the border and near a Fry's location? Even with the crappy exchange rate, it would be worth it to grab the RC70s if you are within reasonable driving distance.
Unfortunately not, I'm nowhere near a Fry's even at the nearest border (Champlain, NY). The nearest is in Illinois and that's a ~14 hours drive so with the current exchance rate + gas and customs, it would be a nightmare :P

Edit: Alternatively, I could get them shipped to the border but looking at the specs, my receiver is not powerful enough to power them so... that's a lot of upgrades at the same time :P

Last edited by djodars; 07-27-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54062 of 54082 Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Too bad you don't have access to those great RC deals up there in Canada. I'm honestly not sure what pricing is like for these speakers up there, but you may want to keep an eye on the used market. You can usually get more bang for the buck with slightly older, but higher end speakers.

That said, $700 CAD for the CF-50 + CC-10 isn't a terrible deal, they are excellent speakers and "worth" that much money. It's just that we are spoiled here with all of the great deals the past few years

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #54063 of 54082 Old 07-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodars View Post
Unfortunately not, I'm nowhere near a Fry's even at the nearest border (Champlain, NY). The nearest is in Illinois and that's a ~14 hours drive so with the current exchance rate + gas and customs, it would be a nightmare :P

Edit: Alternatively, I could get them shipped to the border but looking at the specs, my receiver is not powerful enough to power them so... that's a lot of upgrades at the same time :P
Check your local Best Buys and ask them to look it up on the computer. Mine has a single demo RC70 left for $199. They are likely all gone, but perhaps there are a few left in the backroom in your area.
post #54064 of 54082 Old 07-27-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Too bad you don't have access to those great RC deals up there in Canada. I'm honestly not sure what pricing is like for these speakers up there, but you may want to keep an eye on the used market. You can usually get more bang for the buck with slightly older, but higher end speakers.

That said, $700 CAD for the CF-50 + CC-10 isn't a terrible deal, they are excellent speakers and "worth" that much money. It's just that we are spoiled here with all of the great deals the past few years
I just calculated everything for the RC-70's at Fry's and shipping them at the border + going to pick them up wouldn't cost much more compared to the huge upgrade it is. However, they aren't shipping the RC-LCR, only in-store pick-up ಠ_ಠ. That series isn't available anywhere in Canada it seems so I'm out of luck unless someone lives near and would physically pick it up for me and ship it to the border... and I doubt that I would trust someone I don't know with $350 :P
post #54065 of 54082 Old 07-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodars View Post
I just calculated everything for the RC-70's at Fry's and shipping them at the border + going to pick them up wouldn't cost much more compared to the huge upgrade it is. However, they aren't shipping the RC-LCR, only in-store pick-up ಠ_ಠ. That series isn't available anywhere in Canada it seems so I'm out of luck unless someone lives near and would physically pick it up for me and ship it to the border... and I doubt that I would trust someone I don't know with $350 :P
I see used RCLCRs for sale locally pretty regularly around here. You should be able to find one with a little patience. One thing to keep in mind though is that many people have received damaged RC70s. They aren't packaged well and Fry's will not double-box them.
post #54066 of 54082 Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoggz View Post
Let's add another to the mix...where does the energy esw-8 (not esw-v8)fall in the list of subs.
Are you referring to the ESW-C8? Not sure your exact needs, but the sub that comes with the Take classics is basically the C8 flipped around so the driver is downfiring and the port faces front. Nice thing about that is no port issues with tucking the sub near a wall. It's not in the same league with some of the others mentioned, or certainly a 12", but the price is right - you can land new ones for ~$150 and used ones for under $100. It's spec'd to 30 Hz and mine goes to 26Hz with room extension. And it's only 12.5" cubed, so easy to hide. CNET gave it glowing reviews (for it's class), though S&V wasn't as impressed.
post #54067 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The model I saw on ebay was esw-8. I think I am going to look into the Omni S8, but figured I would mention the esw-8 to spawn some good (and different) discussion on the thread since there hasn't been a lot around the history/progression of the subwoofer line lately. Thanks to everyone for your input!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENERGY-ESW-8...item3cff3c1b4b
post #54068 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 483
ESW-8 is the glossy sub that comes with Take Classics.

Afro GT
post #54069 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all.. I don't recall what email address I used for my old account so I've created a new one. lol. I've been mostly a lurker for years (starting back when I purchased my 60" plasma about 4 years ago.)

I finally pulled the trigger on some RC-70's that Fry's had on sale with email promo at $199/each. After reading the forums and the reviews I figured I couldn't go wrong. How can you go wrong when there are reviews comparing these speakers to $5,000 speakers and saying they are a great buy at $1,000 each! I also listened to them in the store last weekend and they sound amazing! I'm picking up the LCR and RC-10's today. I'm not sure what I'll go with as far as a sub but I'm looking at the SVS PB1000. But is that much of a sub/bass really needed?

My specs:
Room size (top floor closed game room): 20x14 8 foot ceiling
Not much furniture: One row of seating, two large 6 foot bean bags on the floor in front
Denon X2100W
RC-70
RC-LCR
RC-10
I'll place the speaker where ever the speaker crawl tells me is best but I'm thinking close to the front left corner or right behind the seating.
post #54070 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MediaGuy View Post
I'm not sure what I'll go with as far as a sub but I'm looking at the SVS PB1000. But is that much of a sub/bass really needed?
If you're going to do HT, you NEED a subwoofer. Even with good tower speakers like the RC-70 -- they aren't really "full range" to produce the LFE effects with power and impact.

Your room isn't huge, just over 2,000 cu ft, so a PB-1000 should do a nice job of crushing it
1MediaGuy likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54071 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey all -- just a quick note, I mentioned earlier I might be selling my RC's, but I'm officially moving on as I scooped up a trio of Triad Bronze LCR used off eBay to get a perfectly matched front three behind an (eventual) acoustically transparent screen.

These are all the rosenut versions -- a pair of RC-10 and an RC-LCR.

I've got an ad in the classifieds here at AVS, feel free to PM me for more info.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54072 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 99
As Batpig said, get the PB1000. Just be careful though, once you hear a great sub with the right movies, you will always be wanting more . SVS has a great risk-free in-home trial and a "trade up" program should you decide you want to go balls out and upgrade for the PB2000, and a return buyer discount if you find duals are the way to go and you want to add another. Not downplaying the PB1000 by any means though, it is a great sub and will do great in a room of your size.
1MediaGuy likes this.

Last edited by Rgdeuce; Yesterday at 02:40 PM.
post #54073 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Awesome, thanks batpig & Rgdeuce
post #54074 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

Doesn't seem like I can edit posts to add to my last comment or I'm just too dumb to see it. Ha! At any rate, I was going to say I don't have anything setup yet but I'll share pics once everything is said and done. It will be weeks (if not longer) before everything is completed since we haven't moved in yet. The 60" will go downstairs, I bought a Sony VPL-HW40ES for upstairs. I will need to set it up before I decide on screen size but I'm looking at the 120" Silver Ticket. Seating will most likely be a 3 seat Jaleco Theater Clay Madison Seating (I cannot post links yet, just search for them on Amazon and you'll see them) with heat and massage.

I'm excited if you can't tell. And I appreciate all the information on the forums here. I've been reading for months to determine (what I feel is....) the right setup, which is hard to do since I have an awesome wife and no real max budget.. I am thinking the wife was expecting the media room to be around 10-20k so she's pleased at the fact that I've kept it around 4-5k. I just didn't want to go overboard and I also don't want to move our house into the golf course behind us when the bass goes off watching movies!
post #54075 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh man, with a dedicated room and a PJ with a giant screen you NEED a good subwoofer for sure. The subwoofer system is the foundation of the surround sound experience.

Since your budget has some wiggle room you might want to think about TWO subwoofers, even if it means they are slightly smaller (e.g. dual SB2000). Dual subs will offer more headroom/output but it's more about smoothing out the bass response in the room.

Since I'm spending your money you might as well get another pair of RC-10's for 7.1 (it's OK, you're in Houston and I'm a Rice alum so you can trust me)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54076 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

LMAO! I wanted to do 7.1 but the wife wants to use 2.1 for bluetooth on the patio or another room so I'm stuck with 5.1... for now.

She did say the PB1000 was rather large so I can probably talk her into two SB1000's.. I'm not sure I can justify the SB2000 given what I've spent. If I had spent $5000 on speakers then yes, no problem. But she's not dumb and will easily question why the sub cost more than all of the speakers combined. lol

Speaking of PB1000 vs SB1000. I've read here on the forums that the ported box is the way to go for movies so I can probably talk her into the larger box based just on that. But if there's not that much difference I wouldn't mind the sealed box. The room is nothing but a media room so I don't understand why she should be too concerned about the size of the box.
post #54077 of 54082 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
ESW-8 is the glossy sub that comes with Take Classics.
Yup, that's exactly the sub I have with my Take Classics. Actually two of them :-) If it's in good condition, IMO it's a decent deal if your dad really wants to stay under $100. Or has issues with space and needs a compact sub. Works best in a small room of course, but for the price you're just not going to get much better.

Here's the CNET write-up on the system, though they really rave on this sub (again, for it's class). Note that the sub is 60W; the advertised 200W is peak:
http://www.cnet.com/products/energy-take-classic-5-1/2/

Just keep in mind that any sub will be heavy and incur significant shipping cost, so your money will go further if you can find something local.
post #54078 of 54082 Old Today, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Speaking of PB1000 vs SB1000. I've read here on the forums that the ported box is the way to go for movies so I can probably talk her into the larger box based just on that. But if there's not that much difference I wouldn't mind the sealed box. The room is nothing but a media room so I don't understand why she should be too concerned about the size of the box.
Anyone know how comparable the Energy ESW-C10 is to a PB1000 or PB2000? I'll probably end up with one at first and then I'll sneak a second one in later.

Is ported really that much better for watching movies than sealed? Ported just takes up so much space.
post #54079 of 54082 Old Today, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
LMAO! I wanted to do 7.1 but the wife wants to use 2.1 for bluetooth on the patio or another room so I'm stuck with 5.1... for now.

She did say the PB1000 was rather large so I can probably talk her into two SB1000's.. I'm not sure I can justify the SB2000 given what I've spent. If I had spent $5000 on speakers then yes, no problem. But she's not dumb and will easily question why the sub cost more than all of the speakers combined. lol

To give some perspective, I spent $1,100 on my two subs (got them at a huge deal in the SVS outlet section as they were phasing out the PB12-NSD's). I spent roughly $500 on speakers (RC-LCR, RC-10s, CB-5s for rears), and $400 on my receiver. My setup is in a great room (much bigger than what your space is), but still. Others will stress to you how important the subwoofer is. You are making a dedicated home theater room so you are obviously pretty serious about home theater, movies are important to you, and you are way under what your wife expects the budget to be. I would not cut corners with the subs. I have friends with better speakers than me, but my setup destroys theirs because of my subs. $1,000-$2,000 is really not much to spend on subs if you are serious about movies, ESPECIALLY if you have a dedicated home theater room. Truth be told, I would probably spend around $2,000 plus on dual pluses had I not promised my wife I was done with HT equipment for a while. And I initially came to this very thread asking for a bargain sub for $200-300, and Batpig was the one who told me to spring for the pb1000. That was a great start, but it really made me realize where I needed to be and I had to stop trying to cut corners.

Your room is not that big and is closed, correct? You might be able to roll with a sealed sub or subs due to the size of the room and it being closed, because you may get what is called "room gain." It is my understanding sealed may actually "outperform" ported for movies in certain rooms. I haven't dealt with this directly, but I have seen it discussed at length in the SVS thread. And one thing I failed to mention, SVS's customer service is so outstanding, myself and many others actually called them before to get their opinion. Ive actually called them four times for ideas/recommendations/help, and you always get a human right away and their guys (small staff) know their stuff. You tell them your room size, dimensions, closed vs open, preferences and listening habits, etc and they will give you an honest recommendation. Mostly, they better understand room gain and can give a recommendation as to sealed vs ported. They will not oversell you and tell u to buy something that is more than you need, and myself and everyone in the SVS thread will tell u that too. I'd also encourage you to bounce some ideas off the guys in the SVS thread too.

Quote:
Anyone know how comparable the Energy ESW-C10 is to a PB1000 or PB2000? I'll probably end up with one at first and then I'll sneak a second one in later.

To answer this, the 1000 will blow the ESW out of the water in all aspects. And as good as the 1000 is, the step up from the 1000 to the 2000 is pretty damn big.
1MediaGuy likes this.

Last edited by Rgdeuce; Today at 12:43 PM.
post #54080 of 54082 Old Today, 12:46 PM

Awesome reply and advice Rgdeuce. I was going to buy a PB1000 today from their outlet that was $100 off but it was gone after I placed it in my cart. I'm guessing someone else saw the same deal I did.

I'm seriously considering this SB12-NSD for $469 (looks like another great steal!):
http://www.svsound.com/specials/outl...sd-outlet-p_15

I love the boom but the wife doesn't care for it. So I'll keep my eyes peeled looking for another deal on the 1000 or a possibly 2000 if the price is right. Thanks a ton.. Sorry for going off topic in an Energy thread!

Picked up the RC-10 and LCR from Fry's last night. The RC-10 were hooked up to an Onkyo next to a pair of Klipsch B20. They sounded much better than the B20s in my opinion. I'm a happy camper!

Last edited by 1MediaGuy; Today at 01:09 PM.
post #54081 of 54082 Unread Today, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgdeuce View Post
To answer this, the 1000 will blow the ESW out of the water in all aspects. And as good as the 1000 is, the step up from the 1000 to the 2000 is pretty damn big.
I tried to respond to your PM but I received a message telling me I wasn't allowed to send PMs until I have 15 posts. ha!

So here's what was in my PM that I'm not allowed to send:

"Awesome! Thanks man. I'm most likely going to look for a SB2000 (smaller to make the wife happy.) Either way, I'm most likely going to end up with two by the time I'm done. You don't think two 2000s will be over kill on a 20ft x 14ft room? lol.. Maybe safer to go with two PB/SB1000s?"

Maybe I should take this to the SVS thread since I've moved off topic? Sorry.
post #54082 of 54082 Unread Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would definitely give SVS a call to dicuss. I don't have any personal experience with them but everything I've read is as Rgdeuce described it -- they have unparalleled customer service and will discuss your setup and provide an honest recommendation for your needs.

Ported vs. sealed is about preference and specific application. The reason ported subs are popular at the budget level is that it's a "cheap" way to add extension and output at the lowest frequencies. By tuning the port to the right frequency it basically gives a free "turbo boost" below where the natural roll-off of the sealed system would be. There are trade-offs too, but if you want to experience the ultra low frequency boom and/or need the extra output for a bigger room, it's a good way to go for HT. The downside is the box has to be much bigger to accommodate the port tube of the required size for the tuning frequency.

In terms of "overkill", there is a school of thought here at AVS that there's no such thing as too much subwoofer that said, everyone has to work within their budget and tastes, just understand that there is a pretty signficant step up from the budget subs ($300 and under) to the $500-600 level (SVS PB/SB-1000, Rythmik LV12R, etc). If you had a giant 4,000 cu ft room it would be one thing, but with a ~2,200 cu ft room you will have "enough" bass with a couple of those ~$500 subs, so after that it's mostly basshead gravy.

Also with respect to your wife not "liking the boom" -- one thing people often don't realize about higher end subs is they are LESS boomy, because they are more linear, more accurate, with lower distortion. Cheap subs can sound more like one-note boomboxes, giving the big thump but without any articulation. A lot of people upgrade from a $200 budget sub to something nice and then wonder, what happened to the boom? Because in normal program material, the superior sub is so clean it just blends in seamlessly instead of going thump thump all the time. But then, when the big subsonic effect hits and you feel it in your gut, you know it's still there
Rgdeuce likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page