Energy Owners Thread - Page 1830 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 353Likes

post #54871 of 54898 Old 07-17-2016, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
energy take classic 5.1 to 7.1

First post here so forgive my lack of knowledge as so many of you admirably possess. New purchases of a Denon x2200 and Energy take Classic 5.1(good sale prices on both) Not being a polished audiophile it sounds very good to me. I am limited to space in the front so that played a part in my speaker decision, as well as budget. My question is, I have a pair of Bose 301 book shelf speakers(doing nothing) and room behind and above the sofa to mount them to possibly make a 7.1 system. Is a setup like this doable and reasonable, or just a bad mismatch? I really don't have room to make them front speakers and from reading that may push me into buying a better center speaker blowing my budget. Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54872 of 54898 Old 07-17-2016, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Since you already have the speakers you can definitely try it. They might actually make good surrounds since they're direct/reflecting speakers.

plus they can be placed horizontally. Probably not timbre matched to your Energy but surrounds don't matter as much as the front 3 speakers.

Afro GT
post #54873 of 54898 Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Since you already have the speakers you can definitely try it. They might actually make good surrounds since they're direct/reflecting speakers.

plus they can be placed horizontally. Probably not timbre matched to your Energy but surrounds don't matter as much as the front 3 speakers.
Thanks Afro Gt,
I'll be doing the wiring and mounting this coming week and I will report back. Great forum for guys like me.
tonyrico
post #54874 of 54898 Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrico View Post
Thanks Afro Gt,
I'll be doing the wiring and mounting this coming week and I will report back. Great forum for guys like me.
tonyrico
I have the Takes, and bought a second set to give me 7.2. In hindsight, the extra two surrounds didn't do a whole lot for me (yes, they were placed per Dolby guidelines). IMO the 2nd sub helped more. I suggest you test things with temporary setups before putting holes in walls or whatever. Plus, you don't know if the 301's work better as sides or rears. Have fun :-)
post #54875 of 54898 Old 07-21-2016, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just scored a pair of Cb10's for my Surround speakers on FleBay for $64 shipped. The only down fall is that one was missing a speaker grill. If anyone here has an extra, they're willing to part with, I'd gladly purchase it, or a pair. Send me a PM if you do.

With those, that will replace the Take 2's I currently have for SLR/SRR. Cb20+CC5 Center, Klipsch Sub-12HG, Yamaha VX477 and now the Cb10's for the surrounds. This is my "starter" setup, and I look forward to continue upgrading in the near future.
post #54876 of 54898 Old 07-21-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
That's a terrific starter set!! Honestly it's WAY better than what most people would consider a starter kit (e.g. soundbar, HTIB, mini Polk/Klipsch sub-sat rig, etc). I would target a center channel upgrade and keep your eyes on eBay for a cheap CC-10, which will be a much better match for the CB-20 fronts. Also keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a nicer used sub, I've seen great subs like Outlaw LFM-1 for $200ish, and even used Klipsch 12" subs for that or less. Add a second sub to pair with the current one, upgrade the center and you'll be rocking the 99th percentile of HT setups

Maybe try calling Energy parts dept and see if they have extra grills lying around?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #54877 of 54898 Old 07-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks Batpig, the CC-10 has be atop my list for a while, but they seem to be a unicorn on the internet as of lately. I scored this Sub for $169 shipped, so I can't complain. If I do end up upgrading I planned on a BIC-F12 I think next, but we'll see how this one sounds.

I may do some more digging around the internet, and see if they offer it as a replacement part, otherwise, I'll just use the grilles from the CB10's I have in my Record Player room, and have those be exposed for now.
post #54878 of 54898 Old 07-21-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethegriff View Post
Thanks Batpig, the CC-10 has be atop my list for a while, but they seem to be a unicorn on the internet as of lately. I scored this Sub for $169 shipped, so I can't complain. If I do end up upgrading I planned on a BIC-F12 I think next, but we'll see how this one sounds.

I may do some more digging around the internet, and see if they offer it as a replacement part, otherwise, I'll just use the grilles from the CB10's I have in my Record Player room, and have those be exposed for now.
If a BIC F-12 is what you plan to upgrade to...please aim higher!

I have one in my 5.1 system in my guest room. It's just "OK" for the low-level system it's mated to (Pioneer VSX530, Ascend CBM170-SE L-R, Martin Logan Motion C, Infinity SS-1000 surrounds) but can't hold a candle to my SVS SB2000 or my son's SVS PB2000.

Take your time and save up more. A BIC F-12 really isn't much of an upgrade. BTW, I picked up the one I have from Craigslist for $120 in mint condition.
Aarghon likes this.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #54879 of 54898 Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed -- the Klipsch is already a decent 12" budget sub, so you should aim higher for an upgrade. My suggestion was more about looking for another inexpensive 12" sub to pair with it for dual subs, not necessarily the next step up. But if you want to take a long-term view then, yeah, upgrading to something much better is a good plan.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54880 of 54898 Old 07-22-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgonzales View Post
batpig, situation is changing as I'm typing this. The Emotiva monoblocks are no longer available but got a stereo amp ST-500 mkii instead, from HiFi Heaven, they have free shipping to Hawaii. The amp is lot smaller and lighter too. Now that I think of it, I think this was a blessing in disguise because, ST-500 seem to have better reviews than the Emotiva. Don't know if it's a better product, but HiFi Heaven suggested it and Jim at HiFi was really helpful.

As for the zone 3, I think I want my 5.2.4 config than a 7.2.2 config, which I will have if I have the zone 3 enabled. I will take your advice and keep an eye for a better center and will lower the volume for the veritas as not to overpower the rest of my HT speakers. Hopefully, when I do the YPAO calibration, YPAO will level match the speakers. The speakers should be shipping today from Hilo, I live in Honolulu, and hopefully get the amp by the end of next week. Mahalo for all your help and suggestions, this is a great forum.
Update, got the Veritas 1.8 and W4S ST-500 mkii amp to power the Veritas. The Veritas is in very good condition. Hooked in up to the RX-A2040 and been listening to the new setup for a couple of days. My old setup, CF-30’s as fronts with two subs was very good but the Veritas took the sound quality to another level. I hear others say that good speakers blend in and just disappear, now I know what they’re talking about. You can hear sounds coming from somewhere in front but can’t pick out the source. Sounds are clearer and fuller. Movies sounds better too and the CC-10 is just fine as center, just had to adjust the level 2 db higher. My problem now is can’t decide which is better for music, straight with the two subs or pure direct with only the Veritas.

Question though, the manufacturer recommend a 300 hours break-in for the amp. Does this mean 300 continueous hours or can I play it 6 hours today and 6 hours tomorrow and so on?

Last edited by dpgonzales; 07-23-2016 at 06:05 PM.
post #54881 of 54898 Old 07-22-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

300 hours break in for an amplifier? WTF??

I'm sure if there is actually any "break in" it will just happen naturally over the course of use. You don't need to leave it on for 300 hours consecutively

What a score to find those local in Hawaii!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54882 of 54898 Old 07-22-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
300 hours break in for an amplifier? WTF??

I'm sure if there is actually any "break in" it will just happen naturally over the course of use. You don't need to leave it on for 300 hours consecutively

What a score to find those local in Hawaii!
And thank you for giving me that little push not to pass it up. I was very satisfied with my old setup and wasn’t even looking for speakers while browsing the local craiglist. Funny thing is, I haven’t visited craiglist for over a year or two. But that’s when I saw it and posted pulling the trigger in this forum. Had to convince significant other for approval before pulling the trigger though. Another coincidence is that my brother happened to be working in Hilo at that time, I’m in Honolulu, and I asked him to audition the speakers for me. If my brother wasn’t there, I would never have pulled the trigger. And Denis, the guy I bought it from is first class; he packed the speakers really good with foam, cardboards and plastic wrap; tied the speakers to a pallet with tie downs for shipping, really safe and secure. I think someone up there wanted me to get these speakers, mahalo.
post #54883 of 54898 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 75
https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/5698436469.html

Another vague veritas ad, but looks like a good deal for anyone around Rhode Island
post #54884 of 54898 Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Any other RC owners here? I grabbed a great five piece set for cheap, four rc-50s and an rc-lcr for $350.

They sound just great. I'm almost slack-jawed when listening to them, I didn't think such a jump in quality was possible from my Mirage set.

Music sounded just laid back enough to avoid fatigue but still quite detailed and open. Emotional connection with the music was palpable.

Movies are dynamic and a big "wow" factor was there with details like blades of grass blowing in the wind. We watched a "jump scare" movie and my wife was popping off the chair left and right.

As an added bonus, Audyssey seems to agree, very little eq was applied. I find this reassuring for some reason.

I can't see being in the market for any upgrades any time soon. Except my Sub, which is clearly not up to par now.

Thinking of grabbing some take classics for front height channel, any suggestions on this?
post #54885 of 54898 Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Score!

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's/2 UXL-18's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #54886 of 54898 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/5698436469.html

Another vague veritas ad, but looks like a good deal for anyone around Rhode Island

Grilles are saying "i" series.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's/2 UXL-18's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #54887 of 54898 Old Today, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP12 View Post
Any other RC owners here? I grabbed a great five piece set for cheap, four rc-50s and an rc-lcr for $350.

They sound just great. I'm almost slack-jawed when listening to them, I didn't think such a jump in quality was possible from my Mirage set.

Music sounded just laid back enough to avoid fatigue but still quite detailed and open. Emotional connection with the music was palpable.

Movies are dynamic and a big "wow" factor was there with details like blades of grass blowing in the wind. We watched a "jump scare" movie and my wife was popping off the chair left and right.

As an added bonus, Audyssey seems to agree, very little eq was applied. I find this reassuring for some reason.

I can't see being in the market for any upgrades any time soon. Except my Sub, which is clearly not up to par now.

Thinking of grabbing some take classics for front height channel, any suggestions on this?
Great deal. I've got RC-50's, RC-LCR, RC10's and RC minis. Every now and then I get the speaker upgrade twitch but listening to my system cures it.
JP12 likes this.
post #54888 of 54898 Old Today, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 308
This may have been discussed before, so I apologize in advance if it has.

Since Klipsch Group owns the Energy brand, which models within the two lines compare with the other? For instance I know from hearing them that the relatively inexpensive Klipsch Reference R28-F is a lot brighter (and fatiguing to me) than the improved but more pricey Reference Premiere system equivalent. Given that Energy speakers don't seem to use the compression horn tweeter, are they smoother and more tolerable in the high frequency range, and how is comparative pricing? Also, I know you have to step up to the Klipsch Palladium or classic series to get real wood veneers, so does Energy have a similar transition or any high end at all?

Just curious. I can't seem to find any listing of "legacy product" on the Energy site, and they do seem to focus on HT applications rather than 2 channel.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #54889 of 54898 Old Today, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What a score!! $350 for all five speakers?? That setup had an msrp of around $4k!!

Quote:
The Takes are OK but they aren't really up to the same caliber of the RC's, and they are obviously MUCH smaller. What Mirage speakers did you have before? Could you repurpose some of them for heights as a fill-in? If you want a small form factor satellite that matches the RC's, keep an eye on eBay for a pair of RC-Mini speakers.
JP12 likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54890 of 54898 Old Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
This may have been discussed before, so I apologize in advance if it has.

Since Klipsch Group owns the Energy brand, which models within the two lines compare with the other?
It honestly doesn't work like that. You aren't going to find any parallels across the lines.

Energy (and Mirage) is a completely separate brand that had decades of history prior to the Klipsch acquisition nearly a decade ago. Under the Klipsch ownership they only produced a couple of new speaker likes (the most recent Connoisseurs and Veritas) and the brand has basically been killed off, they were never really part of the Energy product design and tiering, so searching for parallel equivalencies isn't really going to work.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54891 of 54898 Old Today, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
@ batpig

You ever try the VS surrounds forward (18inch to 2ft) of the listening position? I plan to try them there in my 7.1.4 setup when I install my on ceiling to in ceiling. I have them directly to the sides now and just around 3ft above the mlp.
post #54892 of 54898 Old Today, 01:06 PM

Quote:
What a score!! $350 for all five speakers?? That setup had an msrp of around $4k!!

The Takes are OK but they aren't really up to the same caliber of the RC's, and they are obviously MUCH smaller. What Mirage speakers did you have before? Could you repurpose some of them for heights as a fill-in? If you want a small form factor satellite that matches the RC's, keep an eye on eBay for a pair of RC-Mini speakers.
I figured the Take wasn't going to do the job. I was honestly considering grabbing a pair of RC-10s for the spot, but if the RC-Mini would be sufficient it might be worth looking into. I certainly saved enough on the set to purchase something adequate for the top height.

I really love them, the more I listen (I've been off, so it's quite a lot) the more I am enamored with them. I wasn't thinking the aesthetics were that great going by online photos but in person they look amazing as well, so that is an added bonus.

I have to say that although you hear a lot about how the surrounds don't matter, having a really nice and really substantial speaker in the position has made a huge difference in my room. I have found that I prefer the speakers with no EQ for music listening.

As for the Mirage, I have a full set of Omnisat V1 (these are currently in the spot and blend pretty well), a pair of OMNI 50, OMNI 60, and the full sized OMNI center as well as a Omnisat center v2 not sure of the model number. Obviously the center channels aren't going up there.

I have mounts for the 50s and 60s. I was thinking of using that full set for bedroom use though, especially since the center channel is the strongest speaker of the bunch.

Anyway, back to the RCs. It was indeed $350 for all five, and they are nearly perfect. I was going to pass on them, too many speakers and such...my wife actually pushed me to get them anyway, have to thank her for that. If I would have heard them after passing up a deal like that I'd have been pissed with myself. The guy had them posted for over two weeks at that price and I was the first to bite, can you believe that!? He even helped me load them up, which took some effort since I wasn't going to put them in the back of the truck with chance of rain.
post #54893 of 54898 Old Today, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I figured the Take wasn't going to do the job. I was honestly considering grabbing a pair of RC-10s for the spot, but if the RC-Mini would be sufficient it might be worth looking into. I certainly saved enough on the set to purchase something adequate for the top height.

I really love them, the more I listen (I've been off, so it's quite a lot) the more I am enamored with them. I wasn't thinking the aesthetics were that great going by online photos but in person they look amazing as well, so that is an added bonus.

I have to say that although you hear a lot about how the surrounds don't matter, having a really nice and really substantial speaker in the position has made a huge difference in my room. I have found that I prefer the speakers with no EQ for music listening.

As for the Mirage, I have a full set of Omnisat V1 (these are currently in the spot and blend pretty well), a pair of OMNI 50, OMNI 60, and the full sized OMNI center as well as a Omnisat center v2 not sure of the model number. Obviously the center channels aren't going up there.

I have mounts for the 50s and 60s. I was thinking of using that full set for bedroom use though, especially since the center channel is the strongest speaker of the bunch.

Anyway, back to the RCs. It was indeed $350 for all five, and they are nearly perfect. I was going to pass on them, too many speakers and such...my wife actually pushed me to get them anyway, have to thank her for that. If I would have heard them after passing up a deal like that I'd have been pissed with myself. The guy had them posted for over two weeks at that price and I was the first to bite, can you believe that!? He even helped me load them up, which took some effort since I wasn't going to put them in the back of the truck with chance of rain.
"I have found that I prefer the speakers with no EQ for music listening. "

Before getting the 1.8, I had to use the subs for music because the CF-30 did not have the bottom in pure direct mode. When I got the 1.8, I compared the straight mode with subs and pure direct mode with only the 1.8s by pressing the pure direct button and came with the same conclusion. With only the Veritas 1.8 in pure direct, the sounds are more cohesive. High, mid and bottom working together. Tried a lot of different settings, I cannot get straight mode to sound as good as pure direct. My 10 years old girl can hear the difference and she prefer pure direct with no EQ.
post #54894 of 54898 Old Today, 02:16 PM

Quote:
"I have found that I prefer the speakers with no EQ for music listening. "

Before getting the 1.8, I had to use the subs for music because the CF-30 did not have the bottom in pure direct mode. When I got the 1.8, I compared the straight mode with subs and pure direct mode with only the 1.8s by pressing the pure direct button and came with the same conclusion. With only the Veritas 1.8 in pure direct, the sounds are more cohesive. High, mid and bottom working together. Tried a lot of different settings, I cannot get straight mode to sound as good as pure direct. My 10 years old girl can hear the difference and she prefer pure direct with no EQ.

You should be able to disable eq and leave your sub turned on. Another option would be to run your mains through the speaker level input/output on the sub and use the crossover cut on the sub. I agree though, EQ seems to be detrimental to the sound of these.
post #54895 of 54898 Old Today, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
@ batpig

You ever try the VS surrounds forward (18inch to 2ft) of the listening position? I plan to try them there in my 7.1.4 setup when I install my on ceiling to in ceiling. I have them directly to the sides now and just around 3ft above the mlp.
Can't say that I have, never owned the VS surrounds but did use a pair of C-R3 for a while which is the same basic design. I had them sort of directly to the sides but now have direct-firing surrounds. I imagine you'd want to switch them from dipole to bipole mode when placing them 2ft in front?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54896 of 54898 Old Today, 02:45 PM

JP12
"You should be able to disable eq and leave your sub turned on."

Yes, you can do this in the Yamaha, I will try it when I get home. I tried so many different settings but for the life of me I never thought about the "Through" setting. Also, how do you quote just a sentence in a post? Don't laugh, newbie here.
post #54897 of 54898 Old Today, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Also, how do you quote just a sentence in a post? Don't laugh, newbie here.
I just delete the sections I don't want to include in my quote. There may be a better method but I'm not aware of it.
post #54898 of 54898 Old Today, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Can't say that I have, never owned the VS surrounds but did use a pair of C-R3 for a while which is the same basic design. I had them sort of directly to the sides but now have direct-firing surrounds. I imagine you'd want to switch them from dipole to bipole mode when placing them 2ft in front?
I do have them running in bipole mode now since a few months ago and like enough with DST X and Atmos material, it will be tricky but I'll give it ago since having rear surrounds in the mix and upmixing everything under the sun these day it may not be as bad as I'm thinking.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page