Energy Owners Thread - Page 1832 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 367Likes

post #54931 of 54958 Old 08-06-2016, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It's time for me to let go my RC LCR. PM me if anyone interested to buy it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54932 of 54958 Old 08-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, An owner of RC30 and RC70, but using Mirage speakers in main HT.

I was considering to setup stereo pair in bedroom. I was going through portable stereo Amps.. like SMSL SA50, or Topping vx3, or Topping TP22 etc. These are rated approx 35-50w per channel at 8ohm. Would they have enough juice to a pair of RC30s or RC70s? Also, most of these come with only L and R output posts.. Any way to connect a powered subwoofer, like Mirage 8"...?

These amps are very portable, well-reviewed, and under $75. Or any other suggestions?

thanks in advance...
post #54933 of 54958 Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post

I was considering to setup stereo pair in bedroom. I was going through portable stereo Amps.. like SMSL SA50, or Topping vx3, or Topping TP22 etc. These are rated approx 35-50w per channel at 8ohm. Would they have enough juice to a pair of RC30s or RC70s? Also, most of these come with only L and R output posts.. Any way to connect a powered subwoofer, like Mirage 8"...?

These amps are very portable, well-reviewed, and under $75. Or any other suggestions?

thanks in advance...
Most subs have a speaker line level in and out, allowing you to use the crossover from the sub to cut low frequency to the speakers, more importantly allowing you to hook them up with these type of amps.

Personally, I'd go with something closer to 100 wpc, my 50s sound best when at moderate to high volumes and I wouldn't want to be straining my amp to it's limits to get them there. I prefer a full class A/B stereo receiver for a stereo setup as well, and you could get a Sony, Dayton, or Onkyo for reasonable prices.

EDIT: I just realized that portability was a concern. I guess a class T amp would fit the bill better.

Last edited by JP12; 08-07-2016 at 02:03 PM.
post #54934 of 54958 Old 08-08-2016, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post

thanks in advance...
I have an SMSL SA50 that I use for a small basement setup with some old cambridge soundworks ensemble speakers. Although its rated at 50x2, that rating is at something like 10% distortion. If you look at some of the reviews, it only does something like 15w/channel at a decent distortion level. I'm pulling these number from the top of my head, so don't quote me on them.

That being said, it can drive speakers to pretty loud levels. If you're using your setup in a small room and looking for moderate volume levels, any of the amps you mentioned will do just fine. If you're looking for anything more than that, then I think you should go for something a bit bigger and better.

Another option that is highly regarded and less expensive is the Lepai LP-2020A+. I have one of these and it sounds just as good (if not better) than the SA50. It is slighly less beefy than the SA50, but it certainly puts out some clean sound to a decent volume, and its less than $30 at parts express.
http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-l...ProductDetails

Last edited by kgallerie; 08-08-2016 at 05:30 AM.
post #54935 of 54958 Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3297 Post(s)
Liked: 3156
If someone in SoCal is looking for a big potential bargain, there's a pair of Veritas V2.3 for $200 in northern San Diego county: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/5742891733.html

The ad says that "one speaker is not working according to my son" so I'm assuming there's some stuck woofers going on. It also looks like they were originally black gloss but the side veneer panels have been removed exposing the bare wood beneath (which means you could stain to whatever color you want). So for someone who's willing to rehab them could be an awesome deal if it's only one woofer that's stuck.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #54936 of 54958 Old 08-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 191
You will be staining raw mdf. lol My 1st pair of V2.2's had the gloss black veneer come loose in a few spots. It was naked mdf under it so I assume the 2.3's will be the same. But they could easily be veneered with whatever or even painted. The tops don't come off though. They do have rods and nuts that hold them on, but the factory also glues them on so it would be tough to remove without damaging them.
You never know though, maybe Energy did a small run of light maple or some other light veneer finish.
If they were local, I would grab them. Even if it was to part out for a profit.
Good spot Batpig!
I'm loving my setup with the V2.3i's(L&R), V2.4i's(wides), and V2.2i(center)
Don't feel I will ever need to upgrade unless they start to fail at some point.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #54937 of 54958 Old 08-22-2016, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the info...

Why do you use the "lesser" speaker as wides vs. L/R mains (V2.3 vs V2.4)?
Iron Maiden likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54938 of 54958 Old 08-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
If someone in SoCal is looking for a big potential bargain, there's a pair of Veritas V2.3 for $200 in northern San Diego county: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/5742891733.html

The ad says that "one speaker is not working according to my son" so I'm assuming there's some stuck woofers going on. It also looks like they were originally black gloss but the side veneer panels have been removed exposing the bare wood beneath (which means you could stain to whatever color you want). So for someone who's willing to rehab them could be an awesome deal if it's only one woofer that's stuck.
Check out the pic of the back of the speakers - one of them is missing a jumper plate. Wouldn't that be nice if it were the only problem.
Iron Maiden likes this.

Last edited by brendelac; 08-22-2016 at 07:46 PM.
post #54939 of 54958 Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ESW-V10 Troubleshooting

Hey guys, I pulled my ESW-V10 out from basement neglect of around 2 years and hooked it up to an old JVC receiver I have. It was working great as I streamed music from the computer to it. As I was going in and out of the house I noticed that the music seemed flat from the last time I was inside... sure enough the sub wasn't working. The LED stopped lighting up a while ago, so I couldn't use that as a measure on if it was even getting power. The woofer seemed to be moving slightly, but I couldn't tell if it was just vibrating from the music from other speakers. When I turned the main speakers off, it seemed to still be getting signal and the woofer moving very slightly.
On that sub, there's a fuse where the power cord is plugged in. I took that out and had a look and it "seemed" fine. I say seemed because I've seen tube fuses look fine, but are actually blown. I will test that fuse out later, but I'm wondering how to go about troubleshooting this? Is the amp gone? If you scroll back far enough in this thread, you would know that this sub blew up on me within a few days/weeks of owning it, so this is the 2nd one I've had which appears to be having the same issue. I had it replaced instead of repairing at the time - almost exactly 7 years ago now.

I had the sub hooked up with an RCA cable. I've never tried hooking it up through the speaker terminals. I might try that. Is there anything else I can try? I've read about the 9-volt battery to the speaker terminals, but I'm reluctant. I think the woofer is fine. I'll probably take it apart at some point if I can't get anywhere with it. Maybe there's another internal fuse, or some capacitors are blown... anyone have any suggestions?
post #54940 of 54958 Old 08-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
Check out the pic of the back of the speakers - one of them is missing a jumper plate. Wouldn't that be nice if it were the only problem.

Hell of a spot!! Mr. Eagle Eye. I built a couple subs for a guy recently who had bought an RC system. He called saying the woofers in one of his RC-70's stopped working. I asked if they just stopped all of a sudden or if he had been fooling with his system at all. He said he was painting the rear wall and had unhooked the rear towers to move them out of the way. Hooked them back up and now the woofers don't work. I told him to look around the room for a gold bar or two. He was shocked and said he found some next to his couch. Do I need to finish this story??? lol

post #54941 of 54958 Old 08-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info...

Why do you use the "lesser" speaker as wides vs. L/R mains (V2.3 vs V2.4)?

It's the setup of my room. I had actually found and bought the V2.4i's first. I moved them in as my mains and moved my V2.2i's out to the wides. I could never get the 2.4i's to sound as good as my 2.2i's with music. They kicked ass for movies though. I'm convinced it's because I can't move them farther away from the front wall. I could just never get them to where I was happy. Then I found the V2.3i's and bought those. They sounded more like the V2.2i's I have loved as my mains for so long and don't need to be far off the wall with just the front ports. No rear ports like the 2.4's and 2.2's. So the V2.4i's got slid out wide and I am now using a V2.2i as my center. To say watching movies is on a different level would not be enough. It is so much more dynamic. Soundstage is wider than my room, it's crazy. The Dialog is far better with the 2.2i as well. Love it.
I also added one of the FTW-21's to the front. Still building the second. While I am yet to tune it with REW and the mini-dsp, it is far superior to the two 15's I always ran. The tactile feeling is awesome. Can't wait to add the second 21 up front. Then I need to build the two 18's for the rear! I just don't have enough time these days. Son leaves for college on Thursday. Been a busy summer!

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-24-2016 at 03:20 PM.
post #54942 of 54958 Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I need advice about speaker wire. I have the Take Classics 5.1 and I'm looking for a decent speaker wire. I have a small-ish Apt so its a short run. Would the Choice Series 14AWG Oxygen-Free Pure Bare Copper Speaker Wire from Monoprice be overkill? Currently Im have 16AWG but thought 14 might be a nice little upgrade. Any other suggestions? Its been a few years since I wired the speakers and I have a new AVR. Its a good excuse to refresh the wiring.
post #54943 of 54958 Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Stick with what you have. You will gain nothing moving from 16 to 14 gauge with those speakers in a small room.

If you must buy something stock with inexpensive wire from Monoprice or wherever. Speaker wire is a basic commodity.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #54944 of 54958 Old 08-24-2016, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Stick with what you have. You will gain nothing moving from 16 to 14 gauge with those speakers in a small room.

If you must buy something stock with inexpensive wire from Monoprice or wherever. Speaker wire is a basic commodity.
Agreed - not much of a bump from 16 to 14, unless your present wires are in bad shape. I used the Monoprice 14AWG copper wire when I strung my Takes, but some of the runs to the sides / rears are pretty long.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #54945 of 54958 Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I took your advice about the speaker wire. Im moving one of my Take Classics to a better position in my apt. Im going to extend my speaker wire about 5-6 feet using a butt splice. I bought the same gauge wire. I won't lose any quality using this method? I have a feeling you guys will say no.
post #54946 of 54958 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have a 5.1 set up.

Cf-50 towers
Cc-10 center
CB-10 surrounds
SVS PB1000.

My current receiver is an older Denon 1612 with basic audyssey multi eq and 75 wpc.

I'm going to upgrade receiver for both new features and better audio.

Looking at Denon x3300 but wondering if that receiver is way too expensive for my budget energy set up. It's a $999.99 msrp receiver? Will that cause my set up to sound amazing or is that way overkill for my speakers?

Does anyone have experience with regular xt vs xt32 and isn't it very easy to go overkill with a receiver for these speakers?

Thinking they don't require that fancy of a receiver but still want a nice step up and want to stay with Denon/marantz.

What do you guys recommend for my set up?
post #54947 of 54958 Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Anyone have a line on a pair of RC-10s?

I'm looking to get some front heights and the only thing popping up for me anywhere are RC-Mini (Did these even come in black?).

I'd be hoping to grab them for around $150-$175 or so.

If nobody knows where I might find a pair of those in black ash, do you have any suggestions for a good match for the position?
post #54948 of 54958 Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

Liked: 10
K going old school here... I have had a pair of connoissuer c-7 in my garage for about 4 years given to me by a buddy, fast forward now I'm setting up a budget build in a 12x12 bedroom/man cave. Question is what rear speakers do I pair with these floor speakers? CB-5 CB-10? Thanks in advance lastly never owned floor standing speakers do I need a huge avr to push these?
post #54949 of 54958 Old Today, 01:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP12 View Post

I'm looking to get some front heights and the only thing popping up for me anywhere are RC-Mini (Did these even come in black?).

If nobody knows where I might find a pair of those in black ash, do you have any suggestions for a good match for the position?
RC Mini came in gloss black. Probably just as hard to find as the RC-10 but would be easier to mount since they're quite a bit smaller.
JP12 likes this.

Afro GT
post #54950 of 54958 Old Today, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomulisha View Post
K going old school here... I have had a pair of connoissuer c-7 in my garage for about 4 years given to me by a buddy, fast forward now I'm setting up a budget build in a 12x12 bedroom/man cave. Question is what rear speakers do I pair with these floor speakers? CB-5 CB-10? Thanks in advance lastly never owned floor standing speakers do I need a huge avr to push these?
Either the the CB-5 or 10 should be fine. The CR-10 is a true surround speaker, however. The "correct" surround speaker match for your C7s is the CR-3, but they are tough to come by and may not be very noticeably different and/or better than the the CR-10s.

The C7 sensitivity is rated at 93dB. Most receivers should be able to handle that without issue, I think. In a 12x12 room, you should be fine with a basic AVR as far as amplifier wattage goes.
rhinomulisha likes this.
post #54951 of 54958 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
Either the the CB-5 or 10 should be fine. The CR-10 is a true surround speaker, however. The "correct" surround speaker match for your C7s is the CR-3, but they are tough to come by and may not be very noticeably different and/or better than the the CR-10s.

The C7 sensitivity is rated at 93dB. Most receivers should be able to handle that without issue, I think. In a 12x12 room, you should be fine with a basic AVR as far as amplifier wattage goes.
+1 to all this. You can also use the CR-1 which was the smaller version of the CR-3 and is often cheap (when available) in eBay.

In a room that small you may prefer bipolar/dipole types since you will probably only be a few feet from your surrounds.
rhinomulisha likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54952 of 54958 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Also if you don't have a sub yet, to maintain the high value old school Energy theme go buy this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/5743317490.html

Awesome value for $100 and should crush a 12x12 room.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54953 of 54958 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvette9 View Post
I have a 5.1 set up.

Cf-50 towers
Cc-10 center
CB-10 surrounds
SVS PB1000.

My current receiver is an older Denon 1612 with basic audyssey multi eq and 75 wpc.

I'm going to upgrade receiver for both new features and better audio.

Looking at Denon x3300 but wondering if that receiver is way too expensive for my budget energy set up. It's a $999.99 msrp receiver? Will that cause my set up to sound amazing or is that way overkill for my speakers?

Does anyone have experience with regular xt vs xt32 and isn't it very easy to go overkill with a receiver for these speakers?

Thinking they don't require that fancy of a receiver but still want a nice step up and want to stay with Denon/marantz.

What do you guys recommend for my set up?
First of all your speakers are quite nice and it is absolutely not overkill to step up to a mid level receiver, so just disabuse yourself of that notion straight away. And Xt32 is a *significant* step up especially from the basic Multeq you are using right now.

That said if you don't need the absolute latest features a slightly older Denon/Marantz with XT32 might be a better value than the brand new 3300. For example a X4100W used might be quite a bit cheaper than what you can find a 3300 for new.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #54954 of 54958 Old Today, 10:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Also if you don't have a sub yet, to maintain the high value old school Energy theme go buy this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/5743317490.html

Awesome value for $100 and should crush a 12x12 room.
Thank you guys for you input much appreciated I almost bought a set of definitive technology but i thought these things use to kick butt back in the day why not use them till they die. Secondly I was going to go with dual monoprice woofers but thats a great deal on craigslist BATPIG thanks!
! quick question I saw these at best buy the are Klipsch but i was thinking these might work also? Dont flame me because they arnt energy haha
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-...&skuId=6833016
post #54955 of 54958 Old Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The S10.3 subwoofer will be better than anything at Monoprice. $100 also is a steal. There's also a second one on inland empire Craigslist packaged with some Take satellites, perhaps you can convince him to separate and go dual?

If you feel like (cue Sublime) taking a trip to Garden Grove, there's a matching center and bookshelfs (C-C1 and C-1) for dirt cheap which would complete the 5ch setup (and if you need a solid receiver the package is great): http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5751863092.html
post #54956 of 54958 Old Today, 06:02 PM

Scored some RC10s, so now I have RC50s L/R & SR/SL, RC LCR center, and soon RC10 front height.

Any suggestions for good sturdy mounts for the 10s that leave some space from the wall and tilt downward?
post #54957 of 54958 Old Today, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

PM Sent
post #54958 of 54958 Old Today, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Scored some RC10s, so now I have RC50s L/R & SR/SL, RC LCR center, and soon RC10 front height.

Any suggestions for good sturdy mounts for the 10s that leave some space from the wall and tilt downward?
Wall mounts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1YX7EB80E4EIU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page