Energy Owners Thread - Page 1834 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

post #54991 of 55000 Old 09-22-2016, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP12 View Post
Wow, I figured one might dream... I never considered you would actually look into it. That said, I would be very interested if the opportunity arose.

It's incredibly generous of you to even consider that work for such a small potential customer pool. Hats off to you.
With almost 55K posts, this is the largest thread in the speaker section, so I suspect there might be a few interested parties (like me). I always wondered if just maybe someone wouldn't offer a mod for the RC line, especially the 10 and 70, as there are a lot of them out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54992 of 55000 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
With almost 55K posts, this is the largest thread in the speaker section, so I suspect there might be a few interested parties (like me). I always wondered if just maybe someone wouldn't offer a mod for the RC line, especially the 10 and 70, as there are a lot of them out there.
Well, I'm certainly not trying to talk Dennis out of looking into it. I just felt it was important to point out that since it is in no way a cash grab looking into possible upgrades for discontinued speakers which are rarely even seen on the used market compared with other models, it was very generous for him to consider.

I doubt there is a big windfall opportunity here. It seems like any interest at all would be more a community service than a viable business opportunity. Like I said, I'm very happy and grateful for the option to even be on the table. However, I'm quite aware that you and I are just a subset of RC owners...many of which would probably not even be made aware of such an offering.

All of this and he isn't even concerned with how it might impact future sales of his very own offerings. You have to admit, that is a rarity. I feel like a little respect and gratitude is owed. That's all I'm saying.
Aarghon likes this.
post #54993 of 55000 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I have the DIY ER18 MTM towers with the Fountek ribbons from Meniscus Audio. The speakers and crossover were selected by Dennis.

If I could get that HF from my RC70's it would be a perfect fit.
Not sure if it's feasible but I appreciate the consideration.

Love to see his thoughts
Aarghon likes this.
post #54994 of 55000 Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP12 View Post
Well, I'm certainly not trying to talk Dennis out of looking into it. I just felt it was important to point out that since it is in no way a cash grab looking into possible upgrades for discontinued speakers which are rarely even seen on the used market compared with other models, it was very generous for him to consider.

I doubt there is a big windfall opportunity here. It seems like any interest at all would be more a community service than a viable business opportunity. Like I said, I'm very happy and grateful for the option to even be on the table. However, I'm quite aware that you and I are just a subset of RC owners...many of which would probably not even be made aware of such an offering.

All of this and he isn't even concerned with how it might impact future sales of his very own offerings. You have to admit, that is a rarity. I feel like a little respect and gratitude is owed. That's all I'm saying.
Agree with all of the above. As for the last part, you might be inferring incorrectly the spirit of my post. Or maybe I'm the one misinterpreting yours.
post #54995 of 55000 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
Agree with all of the above. As for the last part, you might be inferring incorrectly the spirit of my post. Or maybe I'm the one misinterpreting yours.

No, no hostility at all. Just reiterating my own intentions.
post #54996 of 55000 Old Today, 01:47 AM

Liked: 10
I don't see any point in hacking up what are already good speakers, especially since they're discontinued with a limited supply. If you're replacing the tweeter, you must replace the crossover so in the case of the RC-10 you're throwing away 2/3 of the system and all of the design work of the original engineer. Seems really wasteful. If you're going to do that, why not buy a good woofer and just design a whole speaker from scratch? Buy a Parts Express enclosure, build your own, or get some low-quality speakers on Craigslist and use those boxes.
post #54997 of 55000 Old Today, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys,

I've been using Energy Connoisseur 5.1 set (C5, C3, CC1, S10.2) for a few months now and loving it so far.
Got a question RE the sub input which I've set to xover to completely disabled sub's own crossover and use AVR's instead.
I just bought Antimode 8033 Cinema and wondering if I should leave the input to xover or changed to "input" and turn the crossover knob to the max and set sub gain to half.
post #54998 of 55000 Old Today, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker1384 View Post
I don't see any point in hacking up what are already good speakers, especially since they're discontinued with a limited supply. If you're replacing the tweeter, you must replace the crossover so in the case of the RC-10 you're throwing away 2/3 of the system and all of the design work of the original engineer. Seems really wasteful. If you're going to do that, why not buy a good woofer and just design a whole speaker from scratch? Buy a Parts Express enclosure, build your own, or get some low-quality speakers on Craigslist and use those boxes.
Do you have RC70's?
post #54999 of 55000 Old Today, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

If after doing some more checks, you do indeed find that your amp has died.....the good news is that if you want to bring your Omni S12 back to life, you may be able to install the 300 W Bash plate amp from Parts Express.

http://www.parts-express.com/bash-30...w-rms--300-750

On my S12.3 it practically dropped right in place of my original Energy amp...literally just a tiny bit of filing of my S12.3 amp opening corners... even the majority of the screw holes in the Parts Express Bash amp lined up with the original screw holes of the subwoofer frame!

My S12.3 works great now again....
Well the S12 is back to life, though it wasn't quite as smooth as with your S12.3. Since the knobs are on the front of the Mirage model, that caused some slight issues, and overall the replacement amp is slightly smaller than the original -- there is a tiny, tiny sliver on each side where the plate doesn't fully cover the box. It's ultra tiny though, so I do not think there is significance in quality.

The wires itself were also slightly different on the inside of the S12, but thankfully there is a really honest & nice audio guy that I took it to. He had diagnosed that it was the amp, and he made the adjustments for it to go in there wired correctly for about $30, which isn't bad at all all things considered (I had insisted on giving him $25 the time before for diagnosing the issue, even though he said I didn't owe him anything). Always nice to meet good people.

Anyway, the sub is up and running. I think it does sound a bit 'off' compared to what it used to sound like...the s12.3 and S12 sounded identical before (understandably), whereas now the S12 does sound slightly funky. After Audissey XT32 calibration, however, in regular listening I'm not hearing anything 'bad' for movies or music thus far. Hopefully that dread doesn't fill me, and I'd like to just go back to enjoying.

Thank you again for the recommendations -- batpig for suggesting I try and find a local stereo repair shop, and deano for the amp link!

post #55000 of 55000 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb4467 View Post
Well the S12 is back to life, though it wasn't quite as smooth as with your S12.3. Since the knobs are on the front of the Mirage model, that caused some slight issues, and overall the replacement amp is slightly smaller than the original -- there is a tiny, tiny sliver on each side where the plate doesn't fully cover the box. It's ultra tiny though, so I do not think there is significance in quality.

Anyway, the sub is up and running. I think it does sound a bit 'off' compared to what it used to sound like...the s12.3 and S12 sounded identical before (understandably), whereas now the S12 does sound slightly funky.

Yes... my S12.3 had a wire harness for the front LED and also a volume control... I simply disconnected that harness from the old power supply and zip tied it out of the way... And the included disconnects from the new BASH amp slid right on to the woofer connections for my S12.3.

Not sure why it would sound "slightly funky" though.. maybe the air gap that you are noticing is having an effect on the overall sound?.. affecting the designed port volume....maybe loosen the amp mounting screws and insert some sort of seal or weather stripping?... or caulk it so it is totally sealed around the amp plate.. In addition, the new amp only has a 2 position phase switch as compared to the original Mirage/Energy amp, which had a variable phase adjustment knob. You will definitely find either the 0 deg. or the 180 deg position will make a big difference when combined with your other sub... make sure you set it for the optimal bass sound. Otherwise, the RMS power spec of the replacement amp matches up with the original Energy amp, but not sure on the peak power output of the Parts Express BASH amp though... don't see that in their published specs... I am super happy that I was able to so easily repair my S12.3. The original poly/ceramic woofer composition combined the ribbed elliptical surround really makes for a very good sub driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page