Energy Owners Thread - Page 1843 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 413Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #55261 of 55288 Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 AM
Newbie
 
PSUShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a fantastic energy veritas setup with 2.4's, 2.0c, and 2.0r. Recently I added two svs subs and decided to purchase 2 used 2.0r's. Both came with frozen woofers and I was refunded my purchase and the seller told me to keep them.

My veritas speakers never experienced this issue. I have two questions.....1) Has anyone ever successfully repaired a frozen woofer....2) Alternate woofers that are available for sale to be used in their place?

A third question....any recommendations for surrounds that may match closely to the energy veritas if the answer to both questions above is no?

Thanks!
PSUShane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #55262 of 55288 Old 07-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
brendelac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUShane View Post
I have a fantastic energy veritas setup with 2.4's, 2.0c, and 2.0r. Recently I added two svs subs and decided to purchase 2 used 2.0r's. Both came with frozen woofers and I was refunded my purchase and the seller told me to keep them.

My veritas speakers never experienced this issue. I have two questions.....1) Has anyone ever successfully repaired a frozen woofer....2) Alternate woofers that are available for sale to be used in their place?

A third question....any recommendations for surrounds that may match closely to the energy veritas if the answer to both questions above is no?

Thanks!
1) To the best of my knowledge, frozen woofers are not repairable.
2) Occasionally, used woofers do show up here and there, but not often. It would be worth trying Energy directly to see if they have some still available, but likely not and I imagine they would be very pricey if they do.
3) My best guess for the closest match would be the newer generation veritas VS surrounds, RC-R surround or CR-3 surrounds.
brendelac is offline  
post #55263 of 55288 Old 07-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Iron Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I had fixed one of mine and it held for a few months, then crapped out again. IMO, they are repairable but you need an alignment tool to do it. The tool is simply a sleeve that slips over the phase plug and centers the plug between the voice coil. With the proper sized sleeve, you could easily re-glue the driver where it fails and be good to go. I'm saving the few bad drivers I have in hopes I find a piece of tubing just the right size for the job.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
Iron Maiden is online now  
 
post #55264 of 55288 Old 07-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Senior Member
 
jasonmichaelh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
I had fixed one of mine and it held for a few months, then crapped out again. IMO, they are repairable but you need an alignment tool to do it. The tool is simply a sleeve that slips over the phase plug and centers the plug between the voice coil. With the proper sized sleeve, you could easily re-glue the driver where it fails and be good to go. I'm saving the few bad drivers I have in hopes I find a piece of tubing just the right size for the job.
3D Printer?

Sony XBR-75Z9D | Oppo BDP-203 and 103D | UBD-K8500
Mirage OMD-28 (LR) | OMD-C2 (C) | OMD-5 (SS, FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | NAD T973 x 2
SVS PB12Plus/2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP
Monster Power HTPS 2000
jasonmichaelh is online now  
post #55265 of 55288 Old 07-18-2017, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Iron Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
3D Printer?

Sure, but it would take trial and error unless you knew the exact size. I stumbled onto a site once that sold a repair kit for these speakers. Forget what all came with it but the one item I remember was a simple cardboard looking roll/tube. Rather thin walled, maybe 16th of an inch. If you look at a Veritas driver, you can see the tiny gap between the coil and the phase plug. It needs to fit snug on the phase plug and center it in the voice coil. When the epoxy or other glue dries, it can be pulled out and the phase plug will be centered so the coil will not rub and short out. The one I fixed was not dead center and eventually failed. But seeing how they fail, I went and epoxied all the other drivers that were still good to prevent more coming apart. This is for the non "i" series drivers only. Most of my Veritas collection is "i" series but still have a few pairs on V2.1's. One pair has the replacement drivers that have the updated design but still fit the older cabinets.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
Iron Maiden is online now  
post #55266 of 55288 Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Newbie
 
xb243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb243 View Post
Need your inputs. I can't seem to get my entry level (Yamaha RX-v375 + Energy Take Classic 5.1) setup to sound wide. My old htib samsung HT-z220 sounds better, much wider and more immersive. I've tried different crossover settings but none have made the sound wider. Not sure if upgrading my entry level yamaha would fix this or if my energy speakers are causing this.

And also, are yamaha receivers a good combination with the Take Classic 5.1 as i've noticed movies sound bright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "wide sound", but you should be able to be much happier with what you have than you were with your samsung HTiB. Can you confirm that all 5 speakers are functioning?
By "wide sound" I mean that the voices from energy center are sounding a little boxed in compared to my tinier samsung htib center channel which has a wider sound stage. Not sure if anyone experiences the same on their energy take center or this is due my entry level reciever which probably has the basic ypao. And yes all of them are working
xb243 is offline  
post #55267 of 55288 Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
brendelac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb243 View Post
By "wide sound" I mean that the voices from energy center are sounding a little boxed in compared to my tinier samsung htib center channel which has a wider sound stage. Not sure if anyone experiences the same on their energy take center or this is due my entry level reciever which probably has the basic ypao. And yes all of them are working
I wonder if the tweeter on the center speaker is dead. Try using one of the satellite speakers in place of your center and see if that sounds any better.
brendelac is offline  
post #55268 of 55288 Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Member
 
mobileES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just found a deal on a pair of Veritas 6.3's, cannot wait to pick them up. There is a few chips in the Rosenut finish. Does anyone know the cost a shop would charge to repair or put a brand new piano gloss finish on them?
mobileES is offline  
post #55269 of 55288 Old 07-25-2017, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Jakethegriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So,

I just picked up a pair of CF50's, and a CC10 from Craigslist for a smoking deal. I got them for a friend, and want to test them out on my Yamaha RX-V477 to make sure they work, and see how they sound.

Are these CF50, and CC10 speakers all classified as "large" speakers, with regards to the sound settings in my receiver?


I currently have CB20's and a CC5 center, and front speakers set to "small" for my listening.

I am 75% sure the CF50's are, but I'm unsure of the CC10. Also, I don't want to change it from small, to large - only to find out I defaulted my settings on my receiver (RX-V477) and/or have to go through the setup again when I put it back.

Any help is appreciated.

Jake

Last edited by Jakethegriff; 07-25-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Jakethegriff is offline  
post #55270 of 55288 Old 07-25-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28,283
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 3549
You can leave them as "small", in nearly all cases where you have a powered subwoofer in the system you should do that because the "small" setting is just code for "turn on bass management and send the low frequencies to the subwoofer".

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #55271 of 55288 Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,738
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethegriff View Post
So,

I just picked up a pair of CF50's, and a CC10 from Craigslist for a smoking deal. I got them for a friend, and want to test them out on my Yamaha RX-V477 to make sure they work, and see how they sound.

Are these CF50, and CC10 speakers all classified as "large" speakers, with regards to the sound settings in my receiver?


I currently have CB20's and a CC5 center, and front speakers set to "small" for my listening.

I am 75% sure the CF50's are, but I'm unsure of the CC10. Also, I don't want to change it from small, to large - only to find out I defaulted my settings on my receiver (RX-V477) and/or have to go through the setup again when I put it back.

Any help is appreciated.

Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
You can leave them as "small", in nearly all cases where you have a powered subwoofer in the system you should do that because the "small" setting is just code for "turn on bass management and send the low frequencies to the subwoofer".
batpig is the man, so I'd take his advice.

Large or small is tragically misnamed in my opinion. It's just whether you want your speakers to handle the full range (large) or whether you use a sub to handle the low frequency sounds (as batpig ably describes).... (small)

I use two subs with my RC-50 towers, have no problems calling the '50s and an RC-LCR small. Great sound.
hernanu is offline  
post #55272 of 55288 Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 AM
Member
 
Jakethegriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
thanks guys! I tested them last night, and can't believe how great they sound for what we paid ($100 for all three)
Jakethegriff is offline  
post #55273 of 55288 Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
kgallerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethegriff View Post
thanks guys! I tested them last night, and can't believe how great they sound for what we paid ($100 for all three)
Wow....that is a silly good deal!
kgallerie is offline  
post #55274 of 55288 Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 AM
Member
 
Jakethegriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I agree. The owner was moving out of the country, and in a pinch to get rid of them. She didn't know much about speakers, claiming the CC10 was the Subwoofer, but That was not my place to correct her. Gotta love a good craigslist score!
Jakethegriff is offline  
post #55275 of 55288 Old 08-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethegriff View Post
I agree. The owner was moving out of the country, and in a pinch to get rid of them. She didn't know much about speakers, claiming the CC10 was the Subwoofer, but That was not my place to correct her. Gotta love a good craigslist score!
Could someone point me to the manual for RC-R_B-1 manual? I just bought a used pair for 160$ CAD but I don't know how to use the phase, dipole, bipole yet. Thanks
shinymars is offline  
post #55276 of 55288 Old 08-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
brendelac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinymars View Post
Could someone point me to the manual for RC-R_B-1 manual? I just bought a used pair for 160$ CAD but I don't know how to use the phase, dipole, bipole yet. Thanks
http://www.energy-speakers.com/docs/...V-S/V-S_OM.pdf

This is for the Veritas VS surrounds but they are essentially the same. On Energy's website, the only documentation I could find for the RC series is the sales brochure.
shinymars likes this.
brendelac is offline  
post #55277 of 55288 Old 08-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
jasonmichaelh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinymars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethegriff View Post
I agree. The owner was moving out of the country, and in a pinch to get rid of them. She didn't know much about speakers, claiming the CC10 was the Subwoofer, but That was not my place to correct her. Gotta love a good craigslist score!
Could someone point me to the manual for RC-R_B-1 manual? I just bought a used pair for 160$ CAD but I don't know how to use the phase, dipole, bipole yet. Thanks
Somewhere back in this thread user Hank M. (abbreviated last name because don't remember the spelling) posted a Dropbox link with all of the old Energy manuals. Smart guy! Last I checked it was still active. By searching "Dropbox" in this thread you should be able to find the post with the link. If not, I have a copy of all the manuals but won't be able to get to them until next weekend.
shinymars likes this.
jasonmichaelh is online now  
post #55278 of 55288 Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Member
 
Jeff Aguilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Olympia, WA USA
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Aguilar
This weekend I had someone come out to set up Audessey Pro in my theater area. He found out that either my tweeter or crossover is bad on one of my Veritas 6.3 speakers. He could not run the program since it dropped out from ~4kHz to 8kHz.

I contacted Energy and they said that the speaker is no longer in production and they do not have parts for it. They suggested a couple of websites that *might* sell parts but neither site had Energy crossovers or their tweeters. I am wondering what I need to do to get this fixed. I hardly see the 6.3's go up for sale to replace mine.

What would you suggest?

Jeff
Jeff Aguilar is offline  
post #55279 of 55288 Old 08-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
brendelac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Aguilar View Post
This weekend I had someone come out to set up Audessey Pro in my theater area. He found out that either my tweeter or crossover is bad on one of my Veritas 6.3 speakers. He could not run the program since it dropped out from ~4kHz to 8kHz.

I contacted Energy and they said that the speaker is no longer in production and they do not have parts for it. They suggested a couple of websites that *might* sell parts but neither site had Energy crossovers or their tweeters. I am wondering what I need to do to get this fixed. I hardly see the 6.3's go up for sale to replace mine.

What would you suggest?

Jeff
I wonder what would happen if your speaker were still under warranty?

Do you know the part numbers? I have three tweeters, part number 1012122 which I'm pretty sure were from the Veritas series, but I seem to recall that only one of the three is still functioning. I'd have to test them to be sure.

I recently ordered a replacement tweeter for an RC-Mini from Gentec Canada which was $31cdn + $10 shipping. Not sure if they would ship to the USA.
brendelac is offline  
post #55280 of 55288 Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Aguilar View Post
This weekend I had someone come out to set up Audessey Pro in my theater area. He found out that either my tweeter or crossover is bad on one of my Veritas 6.3 speakers. He could not run the program since it dropped out from ~4kHz to 8kHz.

I contacted Energy and they said that the speaker is no longer in production and they do not have parts for it. They suggested a couple of websites that *might* sell parts but neither site had Energy crossovers or their tweeters. I am wondering what I need to do to get this fixed. I hardly see the 6.3's go up for sale to replace mine.

What would you suggest?

Jeff
This seller ....mplogic.... on Ebay has a listing (132287504821) for a woofer/driver from a Veritas V6.3 that was freight damaged that the seller is parting out. I contacted him and he may have other items including crossover or tweeters too from that speaker.... Not sure... Maybe give him a shot. But, first you need to try and figure out exactly what is wrong with your speaker... could be just a loose connection.. take it apart as best as you can and see what you can find.
deano86 is offline  
post #55281 of 55288 Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 AM
Member
 
Jeff Aguilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Olympia, WA USA
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Aguilar
Thanks for the suggestions, I have contacted that seller on eBay.
Jeff Aguilar is offline  
post #55282 of 55288 Old 08-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
PoorSignal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys I am dealing with a problem with my RC-LCR. The speech is distorted, not alot, but it doesn't sound normal and is very annoying, it's either distorted or something is buzzing. I think, the problem is either the tweeter, or the 2 smaller woofers in the middle. What would be your take on it?

Is it very hard to replace? I am mechanically inclined but I have never worked on a speaker like this before.

Luckily, Klipsch group still stock these so I don't have to throw out the speaker. But each part is about $40 and I don't want to blindly replace all 3. Could the tweeter be buzzing causing this also? But maybe I should replace all 3 to give it new life. I think playing too much transformer (optomus prime) has done it in..

If there is a test I can take the middle out and test them all (maybe disconnect them until the offending sound go away) let me know.


PoorSignal is online now  
post #55283 of 55288 Old 08-11-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28,283
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 3549
I would think they sell the entire MTM diagonal module as a unit, right? Might as well replace the entire unit vs. having to pry out individual small drivers.

If you want to troubleshoot I would search around (maybe YouTube?) for tones at different frequencies, so you can isolate which frequencies create the buzzing/distortion.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is offline  
post #55284 of 55288 Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
PoorSignal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I would think they sell the entire MTM diagonal module as a unit, right? Might as well replace the entire unit vs. having to pry out individual small drivers.

If you want to troubleshoot I would search around (maybe YouTube?) for tones at different frequencies, so you can isolate which frequencies create the buzzing/distortion.
I asked and they said they don't sell the whole assembly anymore. Would have costed much more I think because of the metal frame..

So what is it with the prying? I noticed there is no screws holding them not visible from the front side anyway.
Is it really hard to install it?
PoorSignal is online now  
post #55285 of 55288 Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Member
 
xmai77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5.1 system consisting of AJ Pioneer FS-21 floorstanding speakers, C21 center channel, and BS21 bookshelves for surrounds. I recently purchased a pair of Energy CF-30 floorstanding speakers for a really good price but I can't decide whether or not I want to keep them. I've demoed the new Energy towers and I find them much brighter than the Pioneers, but I haven't really had extensive testing yet. The vocals are much clearer due to the brighter sound but that shouldn't matter too much since vocals will be playing out of the center channel.

I have a couple of concerns:
1. Do you think these are worthwhile upgrades or is it more of a lateral move (same quality, but different sound)? I'll be able to sell my Pioneer FS-21 for the same price as what I paid for the Energy CF-30 so it wouldn't cost me anything to swap.
2. I'll have to get a Energy CC-10 center channel to timbre match, and I've found a couple of used one for a reasonable price. Is the CC-10 timbre matched with the CF-30 or should I be getting a CC-5?
3. Is the CC-10 center channel much better than my Pioneer C21? I'm not able to audition the Energy CC-10 so I'll have to go by reviews and advice from the forums on this.

Lastly, what's a good way to audition speakers?! I swapped out my right FS-21 speaker for the Energy CF-30 and was flipping back and forth between the left and right channels.
xmai77 is offline  
post #55286 of 55288 Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
brendelac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmai77 View Post
I have a 5.1 system consisting of AJ Pioneer FS-21 floorstanding speakers, C21 center channel, and BS21 bookshelves for surrounds. I recently purchased a pair of Energy CF-30 floorstanding speakers for a really good price but I can't decide whether or not I want to keep them. I've demoed the new Energy towers and I find them much brighter than the Pioneers, but I haven't really had extensive testing yet. The vocals are much clearer due to the brighter sound but that shouldn't matter too much since vocals will be playing out of the center channel.

I have a couple of concerns:
1. Do you think these are worthwhile upgrades or is it more of a lateral move (same quality, but different sound)? I'll be able to sell my Pioneer FS-21 for the same price as what I paid for the Energy CF-30 so it wouldn't cost me anything to swap.
2. I'll have to get a Energy CC-10 center channel to timbre match, and I've found a couple of used one for a reasonable price. Is the CC-10 timbre matched with the CF-30 or should I be getting a CC-5?
3. Is the CC-10 center channel much better than my Pioneer C21? I'm not able to audition the Energy CC-10 so I'll have to go by reviews and advice from the forums on this.

Lastly, what's a good way to audition speakers?! I swapped out my right FS-21 speaker for the Energy CF-30 and was flipping back and forth between the left and right channels.
I don't know anything about the Pioneer speakers so I'm of no help to you there, but both the CC-5 and CC-10 are timbre matched to the CF-30s. The CC-10 has bigger drivers so that should be your best option between the two. I don't know that there is a proper way to audition speakers, but I typically just listen to something I'm very familiar with. I would listen to both speakers together and then swap both out for whatever you are comparing them to and re-listen to the same material. Also, some speakers seem to have obvious benefits from break-in time (upto 100 hours) while others don't at all. Consider that before making a quick decision.

Last edited by brendelac; 08-13-2017 at 07:29 AM.
brendelac is offline  
post #55287 of 55288 Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
I asked and they said they don't sell the whole assembly anymore. Would have costed much more I think because of the metal frame..

So what is it with the prying? I noticed there is no screws holding them not visible from the front side anyway.
Is it really hard to install it?
Download some test signals and isolate what exactly is the problem. Make certain it isn't a speaker wire connection issue or just an issue with your center channel receiver/amp output by connecting your LCR to your front left or right speaker ouput and compare also. Research the RC-LCR specs and find out what driver handles what frequency range. Then if needed, take the MTM module out and see what you got....especially as far as what you need to do to replace the individual components.... it's a speaker, not a time bomb! so you will figure it out...after taking out the cap screws, I would fully expect you will have to gently pry on the module as I assume there will be some sort of gasketing material holding it also.
deano86 is offline  
post #55288 of 55288 Old 08-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nearest known city Montreal
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi guys and gals,

I often see used cc-10 pop up in my area for fairly cheap and was wondering if they would be a good choice to pair them as surrounds and height to my front cf-50 and cc-10 center.

the Heights would be placed in ceiling since my HT ceiling is unfinished they are held by wall mounts facing downwards speakers flush to the joist as to not cut the sound wave.

I could also score some towers (cf-50) for the surrounds but they are awfully close to the seat.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by The_Forth_Man; 08-14-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: incomplete post
The_Forth_Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off