Energy Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 52119 Old 01-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran my V2.4i's for two years using a yamaha rx-v3300 receiver, i recently bought a parasound A21 (250x2) and am now using the rx-v3300 as a pre/pro. the veritas really came to life. i even disabled my sub and redirected to LFE to the fronts and the bass was a lot more accurate and deep. Having a sub is great, but with veritas it's not a requirement.

i have the V2.0 center but have yet to get veritas rears. i'm thinking of getting the v2.2's instead of the v.20ri's for better dvd-a and sacd performance, currently i'm still using my Energy Encore sats for rears. cant wait to up grade, any body have any recommendations for rears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52119 Old 01-19-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post

Jack_dotson - I think I've seen you over on audiogon recommending the veritas line, I usually chime in with the same rec. I think they're a lot of speaker for the money.

Krell and Energy seem to work well together IMO. I don't think you could reasonably use a tube amp on them so, if it has to be SS, I happen to like Krell.

How have you found the 2.0ci to perform? I hear mixed things about it as a match for the rest of the line.

Yeah, that's me.

I agree about tubes. These speakers take the edge off of the edgy stuff, tubes would probably be too much of a good thing. However, I wish I still owned a TT and some LP's. I bet it would sound great.

I too read many reviews and was concerned. As your probably aware, it doesn't have the dome mid, but it blends very well none the less. I've used it for movies, SACD, and concert DVD's with excellent results.

Worth every penny and I really don't think you'll ever feel the need to upgrade. I was pleasantly surprised by it's bass capabilities. It's doesn't keep up with my 2.3's, but it comes pretty darned close.

Some people are never going to be happy with a multichannel set-up. Unless you have three of the same speakers, on the same axis, etc., there are going to be compromises. Energy did a good job matching these speakers IMO, but if they were go come out with a new center that had the dome mid Id be all over it.

Jack Dotson
post #33 of 52119 Old 01-23-2006, 03:34 PM

Liked: 11
Well, it looks like the RC-30/50/70 route is the way to go. Now all I need to do is find somewhere to buy them

Does anyone in/near Toronto know of anywhere to go other than Bay Bloor Radio? I was also thinking of going to Scarborough to buy directly from the the head office or to get a pair of factory 'seconds'... Has anyone had any luck with that?

Thanks again!

Jay,
post #34 of 52119 Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone View Post

I was also thinking of going to Scarborough to buy directly from the the head office or to get a pair of factory 'seconds'... Has anyone had any luck with that?

Thanks again!

Jay,

I don't think you can do that.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #35 of 52119 Old 01-23-2006, 10:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I would have easily grabbed them since factory seconds are available for a great price (just cosmetic flaws)

Hmmm... I thought I had read about people buying factory seconds in other forums, but maybe this is where I got the idea. Where have you seen these for sale?
post #36 of 52119 Old 01-24-2006, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm... I thought I had read about people buying factory seconds in other forums, but maybe this is where I got the idea. Where have you seen these for sale?

Factory seconds are sold at Energy dealers like my local dealer Audioshop in Ottawa. Often, they sell them at half the original MSRP.
For example, I saw the Veritas 2.4i at something like $2000 CAD, from $4000 CAD
The supply is spotty, sometimes the dealer will have a whole bunch in and sell them off....and sometimes they'll have none.

post #37 of 52119 Old 01-24-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Does anyone in/near Toronto know of anywhere to go other than Bay Bloor Radio?

It's been a couple of years now, but Oakville Sight & Sound (about 30min outside downtown Toronto) gave me a better price than BBR on my gear (C-5s, C-C1, Encore s10.2 and a Yamaha RX-V1400.)
post #38 of 52119 Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 PM
EJ5

I have Energy C-9 towers, and can't locate a matching C-C3 center. I have found both a singe Energy C-7 and C-5 on closeout for a great price. I'm thinking about using one of them as a center channel with a horizontal orientation (on its side).

The C-C3, which is no longer being produced, has two 6.5 inch woofers, two 2 inch tweeters, and a tweeter. The C-7 has three 5.5 inch woofers and a tweeter, while the C-5 has two 6.5 in woofers and a tweeter.

Will I miss out on the midrange if I do this? Will aligning the speaker horizontally compromise sound quality?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
post #39 of 52119 Old 01-28-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:

I have Energy C-9 towers, and can't locate a matching C-C3 center. I have found both a singe Energy C-7 and C-5 on closeout for a great price. I'm thinking about using one of them as a center channel with a horizontal orientation (on its side).

The C-C3, which is no longer being produced, has two 6.5 inch woofers, two 2 inch tweeters, and a tweeter. The C-7 has three 5.5 inch woofers and a tweeter, while the C-5 has two 6.5 in woofers and a tweeter.

Will I miss out on the midrange if I do this? Will aligning the speaker horizontally compromise sound quality?

Although I cannot comment on your original question, if you check around on audiogon and ebay for the C-C3, you sometimes may be able to find one. You might just need a little patience. Just to give you an idea, One closed on ebay about 6 hours ago...
Hope this helps
post #40 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 02:30 AM
EJ5

I've been checking audiogon and ebay off and on for months. In fact, I've been checking daily for the last couple of weeks and no C-C3. So if it closed recently, it must have only been up for a few hours. I think you may be talking about the C-3.

What I would like to know is whether the option I presented might be a decent substitute or maybe even better than the C-C3 center.

Again, any input is appreciated.
post #41 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ5 View Post

Again, any input is appreciated.

try looking on www.dealtime.com - I saw the C-C3 on the web earlier this week, albeit from unathorized dealers.

BTW, my pre-Katrina system was C-3/C-C1/C-1, which i was more than happy with. the C-C3 was not in stock when i bought the system, and was out of my price range anyway. nonetheless, EVERYONE i have ever PMed about it said it was worth the extra $$$.

good luck.
post #42 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 10:26 AM

I have the nerergy encore system for about 4 years now. I use it mainly for home theater and some music. I have it running off a denon 3802 reciever also bought at the same time. I'm very impressed with the set up and sound quality.
post #43 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ5 View Post

I vote for getting a C-5 for a center - that way you are matching the 6.5"s from your c-9's with the 6.5"s on the C-5's. It should be very seemless and hot!

Kyle
post #44 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 10:51 AM

I just read that you plan on putting the C-5 or C-7 on it's side. If that's the only way you can make it fit, don't even bother.

I believe the dispersion would be way off and you would probably have major off-axis problems by doing this. So I say again, if you can stand them up, I'd get the C-5. If you can't, I would try and find a proper center.
post #45 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I've been checking audiogon and ebay off and on for months. In fact, I've been checking daily for the last couple of weeks and no C-C3. So if it closed recently, it must have only been up for a few hours. I think you may be talking about the C-3.

If this is the case, sounds like you might need to refine your searches. I was just pointing out that I saw one recently. Check the link and see for yourself. And no, it was a 3-day auction...
CLICK HERE
post #46 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 07:34 PM
EJ5

Thanks all for your reponses.

Chris, I tried your link and it appears to go nowhere. I'm pretty sure I entered the proper terms (I searched for Energy, under Consumer Electronics/Home Audio). Nothings been there for a while. If you search avsforum you'll find others are having the same problems locating them.

Regardless, I'll keep looking since I don't have the space to sit the C-5 or C-7 up vertically.

Thank again!
post #47 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

EJ5, just keep looking I guess....I'm sure one will turn up eventually.
When I decide to upgrade to the new RC series, my C-C3 would definitely go up for sale...and there's bound to be others as well.

Running a C-5 on its side is indeed a bad idea.

post #48 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 08:01 PM

Crap I can't get the link to work. Sorry about that. Just go search for "Energy c-c3"
from the eBay homepage and click view completed auctions and you should be able to find it that way
Sorry I could not be of more help.

PS that looks like a beast of a center!
post #49 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 09:11 PM

I've got an opportunity to get a set of new 2'4's and even a 2.0 center - both in the cherry finish. I also have an opportunity to get the older matrix series B&W 802's series 3, with no center but in near mint condition.

I just today got to listen to the 2.3's since I can't find anyone with the 2.4's. I've never listened to the older 802's but I did listen to the 802D's today, along with the HTM2 center - DROOL DROOL....!

I listen to 50/50 music/HT. The power would be coming from a Denon 3803. I know these speakers love power and don't know if the 3803 would be able to drive either sufficiently, especially the 802's. What cc would go with the older 802's?

The C-9's (with a CC-3 center) would be a 3rd choice if the above 2 don't work out. Originally, I was set on the B&W 703's w/HTM7 center but have read all over the place that the center won't match the mains. Every B&W dealer I've gone to say the HTM7 matches all 700 series just fine!!!

Guys, what recommendations do you have? Getting a separate amp is out of the question for now.

It sure is difficult finding the Veritas and RC line in southern California ever since GG's closed down.......Ken Kranes only carry the lower end Energy lines.

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

-- Al Gore
post #50 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Certainly in a thread about Energy's, a lot of us are going to say you won't go wrong with the Veritas 2.4i's. They are really spectacular speakers.

The C-9's would not be in the same league as the Veritas.

post #51 of 52119 Old 01-29-2006, 09:36 PM

WD:

Since it's tough to locate the 2.3's or 2.4's in my area, can you tell me the basic differences in the two - from a sound perspective? Also, will my 3803 be able to handle either of them without breaking a sweat? Thanks.

Yes, I know it's an Energy thread. I was only trying to tell folks that I like that B&W sound. The B&W's are much easier to find around my area.

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

-- Al Gore
post #52 of 52119 Old 01-30-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Michael View Post

WD:

Since it's tough to locate the 2.3's or 2.4's in my area, can you tell me the basic differences in the two - from a sound perspective? Also, will my 3803 be able to handle either of them without breaking a sweat? Thanks.

Yes, I know it's an Energy thread. I was only trying to tell folks that I like that B&W sound. The B&W's are much easier to find around my area.

While the receiver will drive the speakers it will definitely "break a sweat". It also won't control the difficult to drive DVC woofers properly. They don't require an expensive/ esoteric amp, but they do need one that drives 4 ohms comfortably. Maybe you could use the pre outs on your Denon and look for something like a Parasound HCA-855 or 1205?
post #53 of 52119 Old 01-30-2006, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I've only heard the 2.3i's briefly, but the main difference is that the 2.4 is just more effortless in the bass, it tends to have a bass that's less "enclosed" sounding, and less "boxy", not that the 2.3i is boxy, but the 2.4 just sounds more dynamic. Hard to explain it better than that.

I found the B&W's a bit brighter than the Energy's when I heard them....I do like the B&W sound, but I guess I would buy the Energy (esp if I can find factory seconds stock) as a better value.

The Denon will drive the Energy in a small-medium room.....the Energy's (and the higher end B&W's you listened to) probably would benefit from an outboard amp down the road.

post #54 of 52119 Old 01-30-2006, 04:23 PM
EJ5

Quote:

Just go search for "Energy c-c3"
from the eBay homepage and click view completed auctions and you should be able to find it that way
Sorry I could not be of more help.

PS that looks like a beast of a center!

You're right Chris. I guess I missed that one. I'll keep an eye out.
post #55 of 52119 Old 01-30-2006, 05:19 PM

I just purchased 2 pair of C3's for $300/pr (CDN). Not bad I think. They are actually replacing this years version Energy C-200's that I returned and the C3's are a much better speaker, although older.
I cannot for the life of me track down a CC1 or CC3 center channel to complete this system. I have this powered by a Yamaha RXV2500. Sounds great, just need that damn center channel.
post #56 of 52119 Old 01-30-2006, 06:52 PM

I think I'll join the party. I just purchased a pair of C-1's heavily discounted for a B-system in the bedroom. I'm also thinking about getting a pair of C-3's. How much of a step up are these from the C-1? The difference will be about 75 bucks between the two pairs.

Quote:

I just purchased 2 pair of C3's for $300/pr (CDN). Not bad I think. They are actually replacing this years version Energy C-200's that I returned and the C3's are a much better speaker, although older.
I cannot for the life of me track down a CC1 or CC3 center channel to complete this system. I have this powered by a Yamaha RXV2500. Sounds great, just need that damn center channel.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but a C-C1 just popped up on EBay recently. Just FYI.

Regards
post #57 of 52119 Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 PM

Hey Energy fans,

I currently have the Athena Point 5's and was considering upgrading to the Audition series. I recently noticed that the Energy C series was being discontinued and the prices are reduced. I know that Athena & Energy are part of the same organization so I'm sure the energies would be a nice upgrade. I also like that they are front ported. I'm looking at the C-1 since it is a bit smaller and the specs put it pretty close to the C-3. Has anyone here switched from Athena's to Energy's? If so, how much of a difference did you hear? Oh and here's the kicker: Due to size constraints I would have to lay them on their sides for the time being. Thanks.
post #58 of 52119 Old 01-31-2006, 12:13 PM

dinkeye, where in Canada are you? Local dealer had C-C1 the last time I was in.
post #59 of 52119 Old 02-01-2006, 12:15 PM

Hi Guys,

Longtime reader, first time poster... glad to see there are some Energy speaker users on the forum. I started out with an Energy Take 5+1 system about 3 years ago. Recently sold them, and purchased two C-3's. I want to get another pair for my rear channels, but what I'm really pondering is what I should use for the center channel. Is the C-C3 that much better than the C-C1?

I wish there were more online authorized dealers in Canada. I've only found one in Ontario.

-Scott
post #60 of 52119 Old 02-01-2006, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

C-C3 is definitely a lot better, but grab 'em while they last....probably not many left if at all.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page