13Likes

post #631 of 52185 Old 10-02-2006, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Official reply from Energy To:
Quote:

Hello, I would like to inquire how is the new energy C-Series (the one with black face) is positined against the previous Connoisseur series. The basic question is what replaced the older Connoisseur series? Is the new C-Series
in a 'lower entry level' position then previous Connoisseur series was? As the entry prices seem lower. Or was the previous Connoisseur positioned closer to the current RC series?

Reply from Energy:
Quote:

The C-Series offers similar performance at lower price points, making it a much better value for the dollar. The C-Series was meant as a replacement for the Connoisseur Series, with some similar price points, and some lower price points.

Regards,

Scott Goodman
Energy Speakers
Brand Manager
www.energy-speakers.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 52185 Old 10-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Liked: 11
Hey WestCoastD,

Your post kinda sorta makes sense. I don't know if it will work well (I'm no expert in splitting/ combining wires and signals), but it has to be worth trying.

I'm glad to hear that you're gunning for some upgrades.

I have continued to listen to a lot of music, and still say the Cary SLP 2002 tube preamp has really improved my system. I look forward to listening to it more now, and I spend more time listening to it. The sound is so excellent / attention-getting that I find myself stopping everything to listen to it. I used to multitask more. The system now makes me want to sit down in the listening spot and focus only the music.

It is funny because at times I find myself sitting alone in the room with a stupid smile on my face while listening to music.

I've had a few more audiophile friends over to listen to the system, and they too found and acknowledged the large difference that the Cary is compared to the AV receiver SS pre. And how much improved the sound from the system is.

I also spent some time over at a friend's place with a very nice audiophile spec ($$) system and I was surpised to find out just how well my system now compares. I even prefer mine based on my tastes. I can confidently say it is now audiophile level in the music it makes.

I can't recommend enough that if a person really likes to listen to music that a dedicated tube preamp (or a good separate SS preamp) can make a large improvement.

Let us know your progress and what you think if you get that dedicated SS pre and how it sounds in your system.

kw...........
post #633 of 52185 Old 10-11-2006, 12:38 PM

WestcoastD,

I am very interested in buying a Yamaha V1600 receiver with RC-30 fronts, R-LCR and RC-10 for centre and backs. You are the only one i read about that has this combination. Please tell me what you think about the system and how the R-30 combine with the v1600.
This will be my first system so i don't want to get it wrong especially because it will be very expensive to buy here in South Africa.

thanks
post #634 of 52185 Old 10-11-2006, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aycustic View Post

Please tell me what you think about the system and how the R-30 combine with the v1600.

Very good combination, provides for a very nice, versatile, system, for home theater surround & 2-channel/multi-channel music. I can't precisely describe the RX-V1600/Energy sound characteristic, but, to put it simple, it's clean & accurate, and not overly-brite. You will be very happy.

Moreover, since the RX-V1700/RX-V2700 family is now released to the market I would seriously consider an RX-V2600 (little more power, and video-processing capability), as prices should be much lower in-general as they are being closed-out.

Have fun!
post #635 of 52185 Old 10-12-2006, 12:48 AM

Hi AVS speakerheads,
Hopefully, you can expand my options/provide some input on a potential ENERGY TAKE set-up for my new HT. Especially from those very familiar with or who own them. I am starting my HT from scratch (just moved into a new flat).

In the queue to purchase in November (no debating these)
Sony 40V2500 40" LCD
Denon AVR-2807 100w/ch 7.1 Receiver
Denon DVD-1930 disc DVD player

Environment: 18' x 14' living room w/ hardwood floors
Application: 60% audio / 40% video (even split of broadcast/DVD)
Preferred Set-up: 2 small-sized tabletop L/R units, center channel unit, medium sized subwoofer. Budget: $2000 USD
Characteristics: warm, natural sound, great sound stage, sound quality over SPL, high end enclosure finish, simple, elegant design, not "blingtastic".

My comments after auditioning two ENERGY TAKE set-ups:
I listened to these TAKE set-ups in a electronics store but was not overly impressed with the sound.
1. Both set ups run via a Denon 100w/ch Receiver and Denon and/or Sony DVD player.
2. Listened to various surround modes and straight STEREO modes.
3. Used both DVD source and my personal audio CDs.

Set-up A: 2- TWR towers for L/R, 1-FPS as center
Set-up B: 2- LCRs for L/R, 1-LCR as center, 1-S8.3 sub
(Initially I was thinking of 2-FPS for L/R, 1-FPS for center, and 1- S10.3 sub for my system--no plan for rears)

My comments on TAKE Set-up A:

DVD source: Fuller range sound than set-up B. Center channel had strong presence and medium clarity. Good imaging when listening to the video soundtrack.
Audio CD source: I sampled the various denon surround modes, they were bizzare (I am an old two-way fan -currently adapting to modern approaches with a car set-up with a sub.) The two-way stereo mode for audio was much better, though a bit thin. not much upper bass. sound stage was fairly narrow.

My comments on TAKE Set-up B:

DVD source: Basic sound stage created. center channel seemed bright. Imaging was fair. Bass provided by the 8" sub was barely present unless amp volume was turned up very high.
Audio CD source: The same bizzare sound when in surround modes. The two-way mode for audio was an improvement, but, no depth. Sound stage was very shallow. Sub barely noticeable.

Summary

Let me start by stating that I had high expectations from the ENERGY TAKE systems after reading the online reviews, both individual and professional. For the price they should be a great deal better than $300 HTiB systems. The TAKEs that I heard were barely better. I really wanted to like them, but they didn't sound as good as my old celestian bookshelvs. And the day before I heard a pair of Tetra compact speakers (120U) listening to the same audio CDs and was blown away by the sound quality. The 120U pair was ~$1700. But the cabinets was sort of atypical. Adding a center and that would be over $3k.

I think the TAKE speakers may have been poorly connected and possibly over driven as demo units in the store. I'd like hear them again but hearing another set in the area will be tough. Also, I don't want to be a putz and question the orig store's set-up where I heard them. So that is why I am asking for your input....Either confirm that they are just an OK speaker or say "no way, these are great and need to be heard!" Also, I am wondering: those of you who went with the new TAKE system (not Take5s) what other systems did you consider?

Thanks for reading this big chunk of words,
ed
post #636 of 52185 Old 10-12-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbayarea View Post

So that is why I am asking for your input....Either confirm that they are just an OK speaker or say "no way, these are great and need to be heard!"

I think the TAKE series are very nice, very high-quality design for the price. I listened to FPS (center), SAT (rears), TWR (fronts), powered by (only) a Yamaha RX-V657 and was very impressed with overall sound quality. Pretty nice sound-stage, clean, w/decent bass response (more significant than I would've thought for narrow-profile design speakers). You have to realize this type of speaker design has much smaller cabinet-volume than tradition floor-standing or book-shelf types, so bass response is drastically effected (they're meant to be as compact as possible, and versatile at the same time). However, I thought dispersion was very good though.

Thanks for your input.
post #637 of 52185 Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

There could be several factors in the poor demp. Setup in the receiver is a very likely issue. I would also point a finger at the Sony DVD player used. Sure wouldn't be my first choice for getting a good audio demo. If you can try them in your home, that would be the best bet. I think for the style and price, the Take series is a great performer.
post #638 of 52185 Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshoes View Post

Setup in the receiver is a very likely issue.

yeah, I usually at least try to set receiver for equivalent to "PURE", or "DIRECT", mode, such that all EQ and/or tone controls are by-passed, so you hear, as much as possible, the true sound of the source player through the speakers. Of course, it would be nice to hear some DVD-movie material, with system calibrated, and set for Doby Digital, if posssible, as well.

Quote:

I would also point a finger at the Sony DVD player used. Sure wouldn't be my first choice for getting a good audio demo.

It depends what model Sony player. I use a Sony DVP NS90V multi-format player, it has good resolution, and sounds sweet for CD's, DVD-A's, SACD's, DVD-movies, etc.,..

Quote:

If you can try them in your home, that would be the best bet.

yep.
post #639 of 52185 Old 10-12-2006, 11:21 PM

thanks for the feedback all.
post #640 of 52185 Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbayarea View Post

Hopefully, you can expand my options/provide some input on a potential ENERGY TAKE set-up for my new HT. Especially from those very familiar with or who own them. I am starting my HT from scratch (just moved into a new flat).

In the queue to purchase in November (no debating these)
Sony 40V2500 40" LCD
Denon AVR-2807 100w/ch 7.1 Receiver
Denon DVD-1930 disc DVD player

I don't have any super-major issues with the TAKE speakers, but considering the money you just dropped on the receiver and universal player, why not look at something a bit more musical? Energy's RC-30's, an RC-LCR, and an S10.3 could be had within your budget and would leave the TAKE's in the dust.
post #641 of 52185 Old 10-13-2006, 08:05 AM

Hello Fellow Energy owners.

Here is a rather long post.
I have a Yamaha RX-V1600 and am using C-500 s for the front channels.
I also have a 10.3 Subwoofer. I considering hooking up the sub using the regular speaker terminals ( as opposed to using CoAX ) via the Speaker B on the amp.
And I will use the Crossover feature of the Subwoofer so that it will respond to frequencies only less than say 70 Hz.
Also, I will setup the amp so that LFE is output to both - Front and Subwoofer
The 10.3 sub has capability to output frequencies as low as 21 hz according to specs.
The idea is let the subwoofer output the bass frequency ( < 70 Hz, in my case ) and the fronts will output the normal range.

My question:
By hooking the Subwoofer using the Speaker B channels, am I at a disadvantage when watching Movies or DVD-Audio etc where there is a dedicated LFE channel ?
post #642 of 52185 Old 10-13-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by changla View Post

By hooking the Subwoofer using the Speaker B channels, am I at a disadvantage when watching Movies or DVD-Audio etc where there is a dedicated LFE channel ?

yes, you would not have proper 5.1 functionality, the LFE (or the ".1" piece) would be lost.

Although, your concept would (or should) work for two-channel audio, as all frequencies below 70Hz would be sent to your sub-woofer. However, the C-500's are very nice full-range towers (with great bass response down to 30Hz) so you would'nt need any additional bass.

The system works best when the sub is connected to the normal "sub-woofer" pre-out channel. Set all your speakers to "SMALL". Set LFE/BASS OUT to "SWFR" (not "BOTH"). I've experimented with Bass Cross set for 80Hz and 60Hz (you can try 80Hz first).

This way when watching movies (with DolbyDigital 5.1, etc.,...) your sub handles all the LFE ( as it's designed to handle). When playing two-channel music use "PURE", or "STRAIGHT", and your fronts handle everything just fine (as they're designed).
post #643 of 52185 Old 10-16-2006, 07:53 AM

WoW

I Received my system on Friday and it kicks ass!!!

Yamaha v1600
Yamaha 559 dvd
Energy RC-30, RC-10, RC-LCR and 10.3 Sub

Thanks for everybody who posted on this thread. You all helped me in some way to make my decision easier.

I am very happy with the sound although its not even properly played in yet.

P.S What is the maximum safe volume level for these speakers, anybody know?
post #644 of 52185 Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:

WoW

Yamaha v1600
Yamaha 559 dvd

Thanks for everybody who posted on this thread. You all helped me in some way to make my decision easier.

By safe, I assume you mean safe for your system, not safe for your ears. The Yamaha specs show 120 watts/channel which may or may not be accurate. All the RC speakers you have can take more than 120 watts/channel RMS. Therefore, when your Yamaha starts smoking and/or hissing you've probably turned the volume up too loud. The speakers should be able to handle anything the Yamaha throws at them, but I wouldn't recommend playing at a volume where the music is distorted.
post #645 of 52185 Old 10-16-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

WoW

Yamaha v1600
Yamaha 559 dvd

You'll want to break them in for at least 100-200 hours before you make your ears bleed with them. Play at a moderate level before then.

Joe Clark

post #646 of 52185 Old 10-16-2006, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah, I have essentially the same system configuration, and I've found that between -30dB and -35dB is a fairly "safe" average level to play CD and DVD movie source material, as well as for watching cable TV. I would stay within this range for the first 80 to 100 hours to allow for proper burn-in of speakers. It's safe to test at levels up to like -24dB or maybe -20dB (depending on the source), but only for short durations (a few minutes at a time).

What I did, when my system was new, was to select one of the digital "stream-music" cable channels (ie. "Smooth Jazz", "Rock", "The 80's", etc.,...), and let my system play all day, while I was at work, with volume level set approx. @-40db or so. When I came home at night I would play around and turn it up between -30dB and like -22dB, it would sound sweet! This is the most efficient way to burn-in your system. You can also set your CD/DVD player for "REPEAT" with a music CD source to serve the same purpose.

Now that my system has several hours on it I still set volume between -30dB and like -26dB typically, seems to be a nice listening level for most material.

These new Yamaha's sound exceptionally nice with Energy RC-Series speakers, has a very nice, wide, soundstage (dispersion very good with Energy's).
post #647 of 52185 Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 AM

I'm trying to put a poor man ht together and seeking advice currently i have yamaha htr 5860 7.1

Fronts 2 JBL E60'S Center 1 JBL EC35 SOME OLD PIONEERS FOR REARS & SUB WOOFER

I looking to replace the SUB/REARS with Energy Take Sats for rears & Energy S10.3 for sub.

Can someone please shead some light on whether these would pair nicely with my current speakers
post #648 of 52185 Old 10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone here compared the RC10's to the Ascend 170SE's or to MA silver or gold series?
post #649 of 52185 Old 10-18-2006, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

Has anyone here compared the RC10's to the Ascend 170SE's or to MA silver or gold series?

The Ascends are a very different type of speaker design, compared to the Energy's. Although I hear they sound very nice. But I would love to experience a comparison myself.
post #650 of 52185 Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbucz2002 View Post

Fronts 2 JBL E60'S Center 1 JBL EC35 SOME OLD PIONEERS FOR REARS & SUB WOOFER I looking to replace the SUB/REARS with Energy Take Sats for rears & Energy S10.3 for sub. Can someone please shead some light on whether these would pair nicely with my current speakers

the Energy Take SAT's are very nice sounding speakers for their size and price. I use an S8.3 sub myself, and it's very impressive for it's size as well. So a combination of Take SAT's (for rears) combined with an S10.3 would work nice for your system, however, it will most likely [not] be precisely "voiced-matched" to your JBL's. Although your front L-C-R are voiced-matched.

I would just buy a new Energy front (L-C-R) speaker set later, either the Take series, or even RC-Series, to match the Energy rears.
post #651 of 52185 Old 10-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

I finally broke down and got a proper center channel for my Veritas 2.3s. I only went from stereo to surround this year but had been holding off on a center until I found one I liked with the Veritas speakers that was small enough for the space available.

I bought the RC-LCR for a center channel and must say that it matches up better than the Veritas center channel (which I really didn't like that much because of the mid-range). Now I have seamless sound across the front. These speakers are tight and fast within their frequency range. The RC-LCR goes almost as low as the 2.3s, 7 Hertz higher at the -10 db point (42 versus 35), has similar dynamics and is very detailed.

I cross them over to my Sunfire True Subwoofer at 80 hz, I am going to try 50 hz to see what changes. I also have been running SACDs full range for music on these speakers and notice no bass deficiency without the sub for 99% of music (except pipe organs, kettle drums and those massive Japanese drums they use in movies and music from that country and in Battlestar Galactica (drums sound amazing).
post #652 of 52185 Old 10-18-2006, 08:52 PM

Anyone use rc-minis for their fronts...if so...how did it work out?
post #653 of 52185 Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

I bought the RC-LCR for a center channel and must say that it matches up better than the Veritas center channel (which I really didn't like that much because of the mid-range)

very interesting, the RC-LCR is a very nice sounding center speaker. But nicer fit than the Veritas center? I'm not experienced with the Veritas, however, I understand they respond better, or more efficiently, driven with separate pre-amp and amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

those massive Japanese drums they use in movies and music from that country and in Battlestar Galactica (drums sound amazing).

Taiko drums!.............yeah those drums sound beautiful! It's really cool to see a good taiko drummer play in-person. You familiar with the jazz group Hiroshima? If not, get the album titled of their name "Hiroshima", some killer taiko drum playing.
post #654 of 52185 Old 10-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip. Just saw "Twilight Samurai" which is a great dramatic movie, the drums were quite good in that one.

I have heard the Veritas center and the RC-LCRs, the Veritas has slightly more bass capability, especially dynamics, but it is very subtle. The midrange is definitely superior in the RC-LCR, so is the price/value equation. Apparently Veritas sales are being cannibalized by RC sales.
post #655 of 52185 Old 10-19-2006, 12:13 PM

Hi i am looking to purchase new tower speaker around here
i have 3 place i can audition they have
PARADIGN,KILPISCH AND ENERGIE(SORRY SP) but the energie is 5 hour away
drive.
I dont care if there is someting in my price range i will go.

Ready to pay around 1500$Canadien for towers but i cant find the price
want to make a 5.1 systeme as money come along thanks
post #656 of 52185 Old 10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrc View Post

Hi i am looking to purchase new tower speaker around here

Energy RC-30 or RC-50 towers, along with RC-LCR center, and RC-10 rears.
post #657 of 52185 Old 10-19-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Energy RC-30 or RC-50 towers, along with RC-LCR center, and RC-10 rears.

What would that setup cost($$canadian).
I want to know there price if they are out of my budget
i wont do a 5hour trip to audition them thank
post #658 of 52185 Old 10-19-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What would that setup cost($$canadian).
I want to know there price if they are out of my budget

I paid around $1600.00 USD for complete set-up, don't know what that converts to in Canadian.
post #659 of 52185 Old 10-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Ready to pay around 1500$Canadien for towers but i cant find the price want to make a 5.1 systeme as money come along thanks

The RC-30's run around $1000 cdn and the RC-50's can be had for $1500 cdn.
post #660 of 52185 Old 10-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr View Post

The RC-30's run around $1000 cdn and the RC-50's can be had for $1500 cdn.

Thanks i am going to audition them
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page