Energy Owners Thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 413Likes

post #8641 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh36 View Post

Thanks for the advice guys, now i'm just debating whether to drive over there and pick it up saturday or ship it over since I live about 30 minutes away...My S8 comes in tomorrow but my C-C100 + C-300's don't arrive till Monday.

You live 30mins away from Monoprice? Cool! I'd just see how much shipping would be for everything to you and then see if you think it would cost more or less in gas for you? Like for me, my truck gets 11mpg...so I'd def have it shipped haha. Especially since your stuff doesn't arrive till monday.

Currently Auditioning: Klipsch RP-150M
SOLD: EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If it was a only 30 minute drive, I'd be there yesterday.
post #8643 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 3550
I am in San Diego (about 2 hrs down the freeway from Monoprice, which is in Rancho Cucamonga I think) and when I order -- even with the cheapest shipping option -- I get my stuff within 2 days EVERY TIME. It's amazing. I've even ordered stuff from Monoprice and had it arrive the next day!!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!

post #8644 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 PM

Liked: 10
do you think it would be wise to just order 100ft+ of wire, cut it for each speaker and save the rest for future speakers?
post #8645 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

do you think it would be wise to just order 100ft+ of wire, cut it for each speaker and save the rest for future speakers?

Yeah...It's much better to have 40 feet extra sitting in a drawer for later than ending up with little 2 foot sections 'cause you keep buying small rolls!
post #8646 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 3550
considering how freakin' cheap it is, why not? It's nice to have extra lying around, just in case....

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8647 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

You live 30mins away from Monoprice? Cool! I'd just see how much shipping would be for everything to you and then see if you think it would cost more or less in gas for you? Like for me, my truck gets 11mpg...so I'd def have it shipped haha. Especially since your stuff doesn't arrive till monday.

I bet you won't be sleeping tonight since you're 500's are coming tomorrow
post #8648 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 05:07 PM

haha I think I will do that then. I'm just going to have it shipped over since it's probably just as expensive (or maybe more expensive) for me to drive over there and back as it for them to just ship it ($6.65).
post #8649 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

My Prestige S8 came today -- as I expected I missed the delivery person yesterday but thankfully my wife was kind enough to hang around the house this afternoon to sign for it today

I probably won't get to re-run Audyssey until the weekend though...

Sweet!
Did it have those bands around the box too?

Quote:

haha I think I will do that then. I'm just going to have it shipped over since it's probably just as expensive (or maybe more expensive) for me to drive over there and back as it for them to just ship it ($6.65).

If I lived that close to monoprice, I'd go over there and take a picture of the place then post it for others to see. I've wondered how big the place is, do they have a showroom or is it a pick-up counter only?
post #8650 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM

By the way, this question may be a bit off topic but hopefully some of you can give me some insight on it. Since I've got these new energy speakers coming in, I'll be replacing 3 of my not-so-great Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers. This will leave me with 3 extra speakers (where I'll only end up using 2) for either a 7.1 setup or a 5.1 setup with presence speakers (since I have a Yamaha RX-V663). At first I was set on doing a 7.1 setup but then a couple things came to my mind:

- Most blu-rays out are in 5.1 with very few in 7.1 so anything I get 7.1 would be matrixed (correct me if I'm wrong)
- The way my room is setup, I watch my TV from my bed and my bed's headboard is up against the back wall where my 2 current surrounds are. If I made it 7.1, it probably wouldn't be setup properly.

I have no experience with using presence speakers so I'm not sure if I'll even use them (let alone like it). Hopefully some of you have dealt with a similar situation.
post #8651 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba4me View Post

If I lived that close to monoprice, I'd go over there and take a picture of the place then post it for others to see. I've wondered how big the place is, do they have a showroom or is it a pick-up counter only?

Judging from the picture on their website:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=aboutus

Looks like the place is large enough to carry all those wires + cables

I would assume you just go to a counter and purchase the items, maybe if anything they have a bunch of them hanging up on the walls. Doubt that they would have a showroom though
post #8652 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

My Prestige S8 came today -- as I expected I missed the delivery person yesterday but thankfully my wife was kind enough to hang around the house this afternoon to sign for it today

I probably won't get to re-run Audyssey until the weekend though...

Nice.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it...
post #8653 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 255
djh36:

You really need to either sell the Bose stuff or try to forget you even have it around. I got a Acoustimass 7 setup free that I never even bothered to hook up after reading a bit about them. The satellites put out about 220Hz to 13kHz , relying on the Bass box to put out anything lower. They are 6 Ohms, which will overwork your amp if you hook them up directly, and the Bass module will be too localized (instead of blending in) since it covers the freqs below 200Hz that the cubes are missing. In other words they aren't meant to be used as seperate components and will disapoint to say the least (trying to be nice but basically....SELL THEM to someone who would love to have them).

I wouldn't even bother trying to make 7.1 work without placing the rears several feet behind your ears.
post #8654 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:

(since I have a Yamaha RX-V663).

- Most blu-rays out are in 5.1 with very few in 7.1 so anything I get 7.1 would be matrixed (correct me if I'm wrong).

Don't know if you've done your homework on the v663 or not, but the V663 will matrix to 7.1 only if you are passing audio via LPCM, not bitstream. What blu-ray player are you using?

This was ultimately one of the reasons why I chose a Pioneer instead (I did a lot of research on the v663 first). Hell I'm only using R/C/L right now so it isn't an issue, but if I was going to spend $300+ for a receiver, I plan on it lasting a long time (knock on wood). I was looking to "future-proof" everything possible. V663 is a fine receiver none-the-less.

By the way, I love bitstreaming
post #8655 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fears4Ears View Post

djh36:

You really need to either sell the Bose stuff or try to forget you even have it around. I got a Acoustimass 7 setup free that I never even bothered to hook up after reading a bit about them. The satellites put out about 220Hz to 13kHz , relying on the Bass box to put out anything lower. They are 6 Ohms, which will overwork your amp if you hook them up directly, and the Bass module will be too localized (instead of blending in) since it covers the freqs below 200Hz that the cubes are missing. In other words they aren't meant to be used as seperate components and will disapoint to say the least (trying to be nice but basically....SELL THEM to someone who would love to have them).

I wouldn't even bother trying to make 7.1 work without placing the rears several feet behind your ears.

Yea I was always planning on selling it, but was going to keep it as a temporary surround system until I could upgrade. I just didn't expect myself to purchase my whole speaker system within a couple of weeks. Especially now that I know there's really no point setting up 7.1 in my room, I'll probably put it up for sale and buy the C-100's for surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba4me View Post

Don't know if you've done your homework on the v663 or not, but the V663 will matrix to 7.1 only if you are passing audio via LPCM, not bitstream. What blu-ray player are you using?

This was ultimately one of the reasons why I chose a Pioneer instead (I did a lot of research on the v663 first). Hell I'm only using R/C/L right now so it isn't an issue, but if I was going to spend $300+ for a receiver, I plan on it lasting a long time (knock on wood). I was looking to "future-proof" everything possible. V663 is a fine receiver none-the-less.

By the way, I love bitstreaming

Well I am passing audio via LPCM (using a PS3). I spent a lot of time researching to find a receiver that can handle my needs using a PS3 as my main source for media. I wasn't looking too much past that. At first I was looking to buy everything all pretty high end to use when I move out, but after a while I realized it would have been overpowering for my bedroom
(loud + overpowering is not really a problem for me, but rather for my father who works in the next room over) and that I most likely won't be moving out into my own place for at least a couple years.
post #8656 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fears4Ears View Post

djh36:

+1...you just don't have enough space it sounds like. You'll be plenty happy with 5.1 in your bedroom. I've got 1.0...TV speakers baby!

Tuba- The 663 will be fine when used with a PS3 though right?? That's what I thought and thats why I went ahead and went with it b/c whenever they get a bit cheaper then I'm snaggin one!

FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
post #8657 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Well I am passing audio via LPCM (using a PS3). I spent a lot of time researching to find a receiver that can handle my needs using a PS3 as my main source for media. I wasn't looking too much past that.

You didn't really need to look past that. It does all you need to do and more probably.

I had a Panasonic BD30 to match up with (bitstream only) so I had to work around that little quirk of the v663.

Anyway nice choice on your HT set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Tuba- The 663 will be fine when used with a PS3 though right??

Yes, no issues. I think 95% of the active posters in the "official" V663 thread use PS3 as primary BD player.
post #8658 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

I bet you won't be sleeping tonight since you're 500's are coming tomorrow

Yeah no kiddin!! It says they showed up in OKC about 30 minutes from here at 5:30 and I called to see if I could just come pick them up but they closed at 6 haha. I'm getting a little excited. Hopefully I'll love em!!

...why did I just used ! for everything?

post #8659 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_rocket View Post

the rc-30 are really nice but from what i read, i'd need the matching centers because the rc-30 overpowers the c-c100s (that's what i have). i don't have the funds to get a matching rc center so im going to just sit tight with what i have for the time being.

well if you're looking for a deal, there's a dealer near me (Minneapolis, MN) that has a spring cleaning sale and they have a pair of RC-30's (rosenut) for ~$600 (and whole lot more energy stuff for that matter). I'm not sure if that would alleviate your funds issue to get a matching center. I have no idea if they'd be willing to ship but you could give it a shot (PM me if you want the info).
post #8660 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked my Veritas's and others today and I must say that they look great with only a couple of small marks on the sides and they pretty much came off when cleaned.
When I got them home I went stright to work and pulled my PSB T55's and C60 and hooked up the 2.3's and 2.0, hit the power button and ....Bummer, One of the tweeters/mids isn't working. So I switched it to the other side, tried jumpers instead of the plates, tried the different posts and nothing. The other speakers sounds great though, I mean such an improvement over the T55's.
So I checked evrything else and it all works perfectly except for the one speaker.
So I called the guy I bought them from and he said he'd pay whatever it cost to fix the problem. I didn't even ask. So I called Energy and they told me to pull it out and test it by touching my speaker wire to the connections and see if any sound comes out and thet it is clear. If the is clear than I need a new crossover unit, if the sound was not clear than they needed to send me new tweeters/mid.
It took 2 mins to test and I need a new crossover. So I'll call them tomorrow and get one. Hopefully they'll send it out N/C but if I have to pay for it I'll pay for it.
I am a bit bummed that I can't use them but everything else checks out. I checked all the woofers, the encore 2's and the 8" sub and they are fine.
So I'll have to wait for the new crossover. What a tease to hear the good speaker and know what I am missing out on. Hey, Things could be worse.

So I'll report beack when I get it all up and running.
post #8661 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

For you RC-R users out there. Are you using Dipole or Bipole? And if so, side mount or rear mount in a 5.1 setup?

Like Joe Clark, I started out using the dipole mode in 5.1 with side mounts. Recently, however, I have switched to bipole mode (side mounts). I have found with my system that I prefer bipole/direct mode for movies with lots of excitement (read gunshots, space ships, car chases, etc.) and dipole mode for the less manly-man movies. In the latter case, I get a larger, albeit softer sound stage.
post #8662 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstiw View Post

And to round things out, 3 more...

I wish I knew how to do.... direct photo's, but this is all I know for now..

I have been getting many request on my cooling fans and the holes drilled for my TV stand...

I have emailed them back.... But I will start here for those that are interested....

First... Search the AVS forum for "COOLOING FANS"...

Second.... You wil find the best selection from ...COOLERGUYS.COM, or something like that.

Third.... How to power them.... Wire harnesses, and this is a work area...

12vds fans is still good, but cut the DV Volts down.... some .. to like 9VC... if you can.........

So if I am allowed to contine, I will.... I think I am off topic here...

But I think I could wrap this up in another post or two..... If everyone here will allow me to... OK?

Sometimes, Less is More...
post #8663 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM

I got my C-50s today for my back Surrounds, and reran the Denon Audds (6X)... that I hate to do soooo much!

Now have

C100 Side Surrounds
C50 Back Surrouds...

And it is a total differnet Sound Field in the back!

Moved the C100's to the side, and C50's to the back

And it is TOTALY different from a 5X setup......

It is soo much full in the back stage now for movies....
HOLLY FU**Y ..... you guess the rest... WOWWWWWW!

Music....... Well, next post....

Sometimes, Less is More...
post #8664 of 55294 Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstiw View Post

I got my C-50s today for my back Surrounds, and reran the Denon Audds (6X)... that I hate to do soooo much!

Now have

C100 Side Surrounds
C50 Back Surrouds...

And it is a total differnet Sound Field in the back!

Moved the C100's to the side, and C50's to the back

And it is TOTALY different from a 5X setup......

It is soo much full in the back stage now for movies....
HOLLY FU**Y ..... you guess the rest... WOWWWWWW!

Music....... Well, next post....

Ahahaha I'm not sure why but this post cracks me up! ....Probably b/c I just watched Pineapple Express and I'm laughing at everything

post #8665 of 55294 Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 AM

Woo Hoo!!
I have officially joined the Energy Speaker owners club!!

Spent the weekend picking up a few used speakers in good condition.

My new setup:
e:XL/XL 5.1 home theater

XL-250 towers for front (similar to e:XL-25)
e:XL-C2 for center (rare find, e:XL-C is common)
e:XL-15 for surrounds
Velodyne CHT-8 for Sub

Now I understand why people who sell Energy say the older Canadian made speakers are better. The build quality seems better, the sound, well they sound like an energy. I was originally planning on getting a C-series 7.1 setup(C-500) but finances scaled the budget back. Honestly, I can`t complain, I like the e:XL stuff. If anything e:XL sounds better than the C-series. Next on my list a new reciever....

Still on the lookout for a pair of e:XL-R for future 7.1 setup, if you know of a pair for sale please contact me.

DC
post #8666 of 55294 Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 AM

hello...i need more advice.....i think i have a black cloud over my head...first a dead tweeter and now my onkyo 606..........it was refurbished....worked for like an hour now it keeps turning off even when nothing is connected to it........im returning it and getting my money back....what other receivers do you guys recommend??? after reading all the issues people are having with them im not sure i want to go with an onkyo...
thanx
post #8667 of 55294 Old 04-03-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfuel View Post

hello...i need more advice.....i think i have a black cloud over my head...first a dead tweeter and now my onkyo 606..........it was refurbished....worked for like an hour now it keeps turning off even when nothing is connected to it........im returning it and getting my money back....what other receivers do you guys recommend??? after reading all the issues people are having with them im not sure i want to go with an onkyo...
thanx

pio 1018...can't go wrong
post #8668 of 55294 Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 AM

I have heard great things about the pioneer 1018..

If I could do it over I would have picked up an Onkyo 805..
post #8669 of 55294 Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfuel View Post

thanx

You might want to look at the Denon 1909. It can be had for less than $500 from 6ave. Some people complain that it is difficult to set up, but batpig has created a very good setup guide.

I am still trying to decide between Onkyo 706 or Denon 1909.
post #8670 of 55294 Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 AM

I got my Energy C-C100 center speaker mounted on top of my 50" Plasma for less than $3. I didn't have any where to put my new center speaker so I decided to custom mount it on top of my plasma using the mounting bolt holes on the back of the plasma that are used to mount the tv on the wall. It turned out pretty good for a very cheap diy job!

Here's a pic of the mount I built... (poor pic quality due to using camera phone; but you get the idea)

Cost me less than $3 for two black L brackets and two bolts. (used a spare piece of wood I had laying around for the shelf)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page