post #9001 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonga3 View Post

I recently found a CC1 to compliment my C-9's. Actually I managed to find a brand new one. Anyways my question is when I set it up on my Onkyo 606 and ran Audessy program has set the CC1 at full range. Is this right or should I manually change this.
Thanks
Andy

Andy - just an FYI, but Audyssey doesn't set the speakers to large vs. small:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html#largesmall

Basically, Audyssey just passes the info to the Onkyo and Onkyo decided that any speaker which produces response below 80Hz should be set to "full range". Audyssey always recommends manually resetting the speakers to small for proper bass management after running Audyssey; 80 Hz is a good default option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post

I'm not sure whether I ran a better session of Audyssey, whether it was because I angled the center speaker down a little more, whether it was break-in time, or it just being late, but the speakers sounded much better. .

And on the topic of Audyssey... I strongly encourage everyone to play around with re-running Audyssey several times, experimenting with things like mic positioning, speaker position (e.g. toe-in, distance from wall), etc. The results can be subtly different with minor changes, and things like forgetting to unplug the fridge (mine old PoS is like a vacuum cleaner ) or throw the cats in the bathroom can have a large effect.

And quiet really helps of course -- I have a problem with planes or medivac choppers flying over sometimes. Not sure if they do this on the Onkyo, but on Denons you can "Cancel" a measurement if there is an annoying noise which interrupts, and just re-measure that position without having to start the whole thing over.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvpnguyen View Post

Hello gentlemen, do you know where I can get the port plugs and spikes for the RC-70's. Order them from Energy? What would be the best choice to replace the spikes? Thanks.

Energy's parts department is indeed very nice. I believe you can also order generic port plugs (search back in this thread, someone else ordered some a month or so back).

For spikes, you could consider 3rd-party options like outrigger stands:
http://www.loudspeakerstands.com/products.html

Former Energy owner Bobcel used these on his RC-50's, here's a photo he posted:

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9003 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1critter View Post

I actually just got the go ahead from the wifey to spend the extra $50 and get the C-300 speaker setup with the C-R100 surrounds for a total of $450!!!
Do you guys think it's worth the extra $50 to get the R100 surrounds?
Also, I can't pull the trigger on this until about Wednesday of next week, do you think they will still be available? What about promo codes, are there any available? Thanks again for everyones input.

feedback on the C-R100 has been good, and bipolars are more flexible with placement and more low profile when wall-mounted. I think if you have a largish space and want to fill it up with sound the C-R100's would do a better job, so go for it!

I found this post (and thread) to be very helpful on clarifying the pros/cons of surrounds.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11028856

The big lesson I got (and I experience this myself) was that if the speakers are going to be really close to your seating position, monopole can become very directional and distracting when used as surround. If you have to do that, bouncing them off walls can be a real effective way to create the "spaciousness" in the surrounds... I need something low profile and very WAF so I was considering getting some Mirage nanosats, which have an omnipolar design and can tuck away on top of a china hutch or something

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9004 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Batpig,

Wow, those are expensive 121$ a pair. Currently I use the spikes and port plugs from my un-used RC-30's for these RC-70's. If buying new port plugs and spikes that could cost more than 50$, I think I will pass. I am thinking of calling Energy for the quote on the price. Anyone has an idea how much they are? Thanks Batpig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Energy's parts department is indeed very nice. I believe you can also order generic port plugs (search back in this thread, someone else ordered some a month or so back).

For spikes, you could consider 3rd-party options like outrigger stands:
http://www.loudspeakerstands.com/products.html

Former Energy owner Bobcel used these on his RC-50's, here's a photo he posted:

post #9005 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

For me, this would be a no-brainer. The C series has plenty of punch on the low end. I haven't heard the Take's, but the consensus here is that they lack the full range of sound of the Cs. When you're ready for the extra punch of a sub, you can add one. On the other hand, if you want fuller sound, a sub isn't going to do that for the Take's.

+1

When you hear the difference in full range vs satalite speakers it is huge! Sats sound so hollow missing mid bass. Full range is the way to go. Add a sub later when it fits the budget. I have grown so accustom to my Energy RCs that when I was at my friends the other night watching a movie on his HTIB I was like "wow this sucks". I'm sure Energy's sats are a little better than a generic HTIB, but they still can't compare to the C300s.
post #9006 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Andy - just an FYI, but Audyssey doesn't set the speakers to large vs. small:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html#largesmall

Basically, Audyssey just passes the info to the Onkyo and Onkyo decided that any speaker which produces response below 80Hz should be set to "full range". Audyssey always recommends manually resetting the speakers to small for proper bass management after running Audyssey; 80 Hz is a good default option.

And on the topic of Audyssey... I strongly encourage everyone to play around with re-running Audyssey several times, experimenting with things like mic positioning, speaker position (e.g. toe-in, distance from wall), etc. The results can be subtly different with minor changes, and things like forgetting to unplug the fridge (mine old PoS is like a vacuum cleaner ) or throw the cats in the bathroom can have a large effect.

And quiet really helps of course -- I have a problem with planes or medivac choppers flying over sometimes. Not sure if they do this on the Onkyo, but on Denons you can "Cancel" a measurement if there is an annoying noise which interrupts, and just re-measure that position without having to start the whole thing over.

Great, thanks.
Andy
post #9007 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvpnguyen View Post

Hello Batpig,

Wow, those are expensive 121$ a pair. Currently I use the spikes and port plugs from my un-used RC-30's for these RC-70's. If buying new port plugs and spikes that could cost more than 50$, I think I will pass. I am thinking of calling Energy for the quote on the price. Anyone has an idea how much they are? Thanks Batpig.

I had it wrote down somewhere because I asked energy about these when I called for my tweeter. I just found them....

Port Plugs- $1.20/per plug

Spike Kit- $25

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #9008 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 AM

Thank you ousooner2, I will call Energy to order these then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

I had it wrote down somewhere because I asked energy about these when I called for my tweeter. I just found them....

Port Plugs- $1.20/per plug

Spike Kit- $25

post #9009 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 AM

batpig.....thanks for the reply, read the article and it was quite informative though some of it went over my head. I do know that the rear surrounds will be anywhere from 6' - 8' from my seated postion.
post #9010 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I did a search and couldn't find anything in the way of a direct comparison of the RC-50s and RC-70s. Has anyone done a direct A/B? There was a point when I could have done substantial A/B between them, but I didn't. Now I'm curious.

Joe Clark

post #9011 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Former Energy owner Bobcel used these on his RC-50's

so Bobcel is now a "former" Energy owner? Wonder what he's using nowadays?
post #9012 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

switched to NHT towers a few months back:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post15078928

actually, I think he still uses the S12.3 so he isn't technically a completely "former" Energy owner Plus of course he has the Tempests in the backyard of the "bobellagio".

you still using the RC-R's? otherwise we might have to boot you out of here

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9013 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Give me the boot???? how quickly things get ugly! Hey Pig Man.....Hey WestCoast.. Yep, the S12.3 still going strong. Miss the forum.....but do check up and see what new Energy craze is happening from time to time. A side note....I bought an NHT sub amp (SA-3) to power the lower sub sections in the towers(VT 2.4's).....really nice so in addition to my S12.3 I have 2 300watt subs. Impressed with the NHT sound...nice and smooth like my 50's, they pack a punch for sure

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #9014 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcel View Post

Give me the boot???? how quickly things get ugly! Hey Pig Man.....Hey WestCoast.. Yep, the S12.3 still going strong. Miss the forum.....but do check up and see what new Energy craze is happening from time to time. A side note....I bought an NHT sub amp (SA-3) to power the lower sub sections in the towers(VT 2.4's).....really nice so in addition to my S12.3 I have 2 300watt subs. Impressed with the NHT sound...nice and smooth like my 50's.

Still rocking Emotiva gear? I was thinking of picking up an XPA-3 or 5.
post #9015 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Lovin the Emo stuff knight, hooked for sure. Cant beat the bang for the buck and quality there. Great amps in my opinion.

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #9016 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Liked: 11
Batpig could you post the link again to a good set of banana plugs for the energy speakers? I need to order those and some wire. I was toying for a while with using some Cat5 I have laying around. But since I'm gonna want the banana plugs anyway I might as well buy wire too and save myself a big hassle. I'm thinking 16 gage should be ok my run is less then 50 feet? And that is just to the one farthest surround. The rest will be a lot shorter. I've read every post in this monster thread but I can't seem to find the one you had for the plugs.

Thanks,

Bill
post #9017 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 02:16 PM

billh.......have you looked at www.monoprice.com
I don't have any experience with their connectors yet but I planned on buying my cable and banana plugs from them. Seem like very good quality and nothing but great reviews.
post #9018 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

monoprice is a great place for banana plugs, only $2/pair is pretty cheap! and they are high quality also.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

the only downside to the monoprice plugs is that they are uninsulated. not a big deal on the receiver side, but you may want to put some heatshrink tubing on the speaker side. if the plugs get yanked out accidentally from the speaker, and the gold barrels touch, you could short the amp. you can pick up heat shrink in red and black cheap from parts express.

I used to recommend the GLS Audio bananas, which are a cheaper knock-off of Monster bananas:
http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...ode=AHH_Banana

Two problems I have found with them: 1. the plugs are fairly loose, so they pull out easily, and 2. the build quality is a little cheap, one of the plugs snapped off the barrel and left a speaker wire dangling off the back of my receiver!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9019 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM

I've been out of the loop for a little as I recently moved. I'd appreciate a little advice on a speaker setup. I was looking at the C-300 setup on wwstereo:

Components:

(2) C-300 Front LR
(2) C-50 Bookshelf
(1) C-C50 Center

But I thought I remembered people talking up the C-C100 center channel. I've tried to search this thread but it is sooo long that it makes it hard to find useful info. Is it better to just go with the wwstereo 5 speaker setup or should I buy the fronts and bookshelfs by themselves and then purchase the C-C100? Any advise is appreciated. I'm in the middle of unpacking and setting up my new HT (and I've always been an audio noob) so I haven't really had time to research this. TIA

Edit to add, my room is approximately 10ft wide by 16.5ft long. I have the room setup the long way so the projector is against the 10ft wide wall. This is in the basement and only one side of the room. So the stairs divide the room in half but not completely so overall the room is about twice this size but the surrounds will be in the long skinnier home theater side (hopefully that explanation makes some sense).
post #9020 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Why does it seem like every time I try to order something or get something resolved....its a holiday and 3-4 day weekend!! EVERY TIME! haha

post #9021 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_40k View Post

+1

When you hear the difference in full range vs satalite speakers it is huge! Sats sound so hollow missing mid bass. Full range is the way to go. Add a sub later when it fits the budget. I have grown so accustom to my Energy RCs that when I was at my friends the other night watching a movie on his HTIB I was like "wow this sucks". I'm sure Energy's sats are a little better than a generic HTIB, but they still can't compare to the C300s.

I don't really think you can call the C-300 full range. A full range speaker has a large woofer a smaller mid range speaker and a tweeter. The C-300's have a "woofer" if you call a 6" speaker a woofer? Probably why a sub is pretty essential with any of these speakers. Don't get me wrong they are nice speakers but I just can't call them full range.

Bill
post #9022 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think he literally meant full range, just something that won't leave you with a giant hole in the upper-bass like a tiny satellite.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9023 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Square] View Post

Is it better to just go with the wwstereo 5 speaker setup or should I buy the fronts and bookshelfs by themselves and then purchase the C-C100? Any advise is appreciated.

I would go separate:

1. Get the C-C100 right away from buy.com while they are still in stock. ($114 shipped)
2. Get the C-300's for $250 shipped - 11% cashback from live.com off the WWStereo ebay store. ($220 after cashback)
3. Get the C-R100 surrounds also from WWStereo ebay store -- since you have a long, skinny-ish room, I think you will benefit from wall-mounting bipolar surrounds to either side. ($140 shipped after cashback)

For around $475, you are spending a little more than the 5-speaker package but you will be getting a much better setup which is more suited for your space. Then all you need is a boomin' sub Add a BIC VK-12 for $293 shipped after cashback and you are well under $800 for a really kick-ass setup.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9024 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:32 PM

Ok guys so I just put in House of Flying Daggers, which has uncompressed 5.1 audio so i could test the system out and WOW just WOW!!!!!! ... this system was worth EVERY PENNY WOW.

Got Plasma?!?! Crush the LCD propaganda!!

current system setup
post #9025 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM

EDIT ** Sorry, I misunderstood..
post #9026 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:40 PM

I see
post #9027 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 PM

Sorry i deleted the post because it wasn't needed.

Currently i have Iron Man, The Fifth Element and Good Fellas. I will probably be getting House of Flying Daggers and want Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, whenever that comes out (I like good Wushu movies lol). These C-Series may be entry level full size speakers but wow they are amazing for movies. It literally sounded like i was in a movie theater lol.

Got Plasma?!?! Crush the LCD propaganda!!

current system setup
post #9028 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Square] View Post

I've been out of the loop for a little as I recently moved. I'd appreciate a little advice on a speaker setup. I was looking at the C-300 setup on wwstereo:

Components:

(2) C-300 Front LR
(2) C-50 Bookshelf
(1) C-C50 Center

But I thought I remembered people talking up the C-C100 center channel. I've tried to search this thread but it is sooo long that it makes it hard to find useful info. Is it better to just go with the wwstereo 5 speaker setup or should I buy the fronts and bookshelfs by themselves and then purchase the C-C100? Any advise is appreciated. I'm in the middle of unpacking and setting up my new HT (and I've always been an audio noob) so I haven't really had time to research this. TIA

It all kinda depends on your budget and amount of space you have. Let me first say that you should check and see if you have enough space for the C-C100...when you know that then you can start your decision making. Lemme break it down for you and anyone else that might have the question that will come along later ....

wwstereo.com setup~~($400)
2- C-300's
2- C-50's
1- C-C50

OR

Pieced Together~~($450-490 roughly)
2- C-300's (wwstereo)
2- C-100's (vann's or Ebay or Anywhere else)
1- C-C100 (buy.com)

For the extra $50 or so I'd say it is def. more than worth it to go with the 2nd package! No questions about it!

Edit- Sorry, batpig has already covered this but I started to answer right after your asked but got hung up on some stuff and just got around to posting it. Batpig is correct to go with the dipoles for surrounds...it would better suite your room(I didn't see where you had your room specs). If you went with the C-R100's instead of the C-100's then it would up it to a max $530ish.

post #9029 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwisch87 View Post

Currently i have Iron Man, The Fifth Element and Good Fellas. I will probably be getting House of Flying Daggers and want Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, whenever that comes out (I like good Wushu movies lol). These C-Series may be entry level full size speakers but wow they are amazing for movies. It literally sounded like i was in a movie theater lol.

Good to hear! How did that BIC treat ya? I think whenever it comes time i'd like to get a sub too...BIC seems like a winner for budget subs! I can't wait to get my whole setup and PS3 and listen to some uncompressed blu-rays!! Soon hopefully!

...and no this isn't considered bitching....hahaha jk were not going to start this again!

post #9030 of 52351 Old 04-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:

monoprice is a great place for banana plugs, only $2/pair is pretty cheap! and they are high quality also.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

the only downside to the monoprice plugs is that they are uninsulated. not a big deal on the receiver side, but you may want to put some heatshrink tubing on the speaker side. if the plugs get yanked out accidentally from the speaker, and the gold barrels touch, you could short the amp. you can pick up heat shrink in red and black cheap from parts express.

I used to recommend the GLS Audio bananas, which are a cheaper knock-off of Monster bananas:
http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...ode=AHH_Banana

Two problems I have found with them: 1. the plugs are fairly loose, so they pull out easily, and 2. the build quality is a little cheap, one of the plugs snapped off the barrel and left a speaker wire dangling off the back of my receiver!

Thanks for the links. So I take it you concur 16 gage should be ok? I'm using either the c-100 or some old Radio Shack Minimus 7's I have as the surrounds and hooked to the HK AV247. Less then 50 foot run to the farthest surround.

Thanks,

Bill
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page