post #901 of 52522 Old 02-01-2007, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I just reduce the resolution (or "size" percentage) down like to 30% and attatch them to a post here.

So how do you like the RC-R's, do they have a very pronounced affect? you notice much more "full" surround? (being they reflect off all adjacent walls).

I'm sort of stuck with my asymetrical placement (on the rear walls), as I have windows (covered with aluminum mini-blinds) in the way. One speaker (rear-left) is positioned pretty good, in relationship with the adjacent side-wall (maybe 20in of space). While the other speaker (right-rear) is tight in the corner, with windows going each direction. so I'm expecting some wierd reflection behavior. I may be forced to set each rear for "mono-pole" operation.

I'm really pleased with the full, rich sound the RC-R's provide. I followed Energy's guidelines in setting up for dipole mode. I've had difficulty applying the Denon 3805's auto EQ to all the speakers, since it sees a phase problem with the rear surrounds and aborts the process. I can get 5 speakers to EQ fairly well and I'm happy with that sound, but when I add the rears it can't complete the cycle. I've applied settings manually, but I still haven't been able to get quite the quality of sound the auto EQ gives with a 5.1 setup. I understand the Denon 2807 has Audessey EQ, and I'm thinking it might be worth it to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I might be taking a hit from the 3805, whose sound I love.

I thought in order to attach photos to a particular post you had to upload those shots to a site and link to it from within the post. If I can do it differently, tell me how and I'll post some pictures. I'm using my Sony HC1 HD camcorder in photo mode to do stills now. I think some folks who haven't seen the RC-R's might be surprised at how cool they look. (And they look great with or without their grills - just depends on the look you're going for.)

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 52522 Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
newtoitail and westcoasd.

I will audiotion only the center speaker with the correct connection and then change it to + to - and - to + then see which one sounds more coreect.
The yamaha user manual also talks about sometimes some speakers do turn out to be out of phase it is normal.

When I spoke to my dealer about this situation he said sometimes the crossoverdrivers may be wiered wrong. In this case maybe your RC-LCR crossover in it is wrong.
I dont really think this is possible because arent these spekaers tested before sold ?
post #903 of 52522 Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidd2000 View Post

Thanks! Beginnings of SW Episode III (space fight) and Armageddon (meteors at NY) should be enough for me bass-wise.

Well, I don't own Armageddon, but I do have Episode III and I tested it. I watched the scene with my sub first and watched it without the sub and fronts set to full band second. I was actually quite suprised at how well the C-300's did! I won't ever watch movies that way, but if I had no other choice (i.e. couldn't have a sub) I would still be content with my setup.

Hope this helps.
post #904 of 52522 Old 02-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Watch the "gunfight scene" in Open Range. Set it to the DTS option. Holy cow, the best and longest gunfight I have ever seen in a movie....not to mention a good workout for your sub...
The wife hates it..haha. a great demo for your system....

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #905 of 52522 Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 AM

Ersen79

Although it is possible the speakers could be wired wrong I doubt I would have been that unlucky that all three of mine would end up being that way
1. I didn't get them all at the same time, this means that at least one is probably not from the same batch.
2, I have had all three apart when I polished them and everything seemed hooked up right inside.
3, I have used my YPAO on my system at least 5 times just playing with settings and each time it tells me all 3 of my LCRs are out of phase.

It sounds to me like you have a problem with your settings for your center channel, maybe a level setting or a distance setting wrong, I use my YPAO with my system but I double check everything with a Radio Shack meter and always end up making adjustments.

Isn't this hobby fun???
Frank
post #906 of 52522 Old 02-01-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I've had difficulty applying the Denon 3805's auto EQ to all the speakers, since it sees a phase problem with the rear surrounds and aborts the process. when I add the rears it can't complete the cycle. I still haven't been able to get quite the quality of sound the auto EQ gives with a 5.1 setup.

I would set those two rear speakers for "bi-pole" (or in-phase), then run AUTO-SETUP. Then, afterwards re-set those two rears back to "di-pole" mode, it should sound okay.

Quote:

I thought in order to attach photos to a particular post you had to upload those shots to a site and link to it from within the post.

this is one popular method (that works fine).

Quote:

If I can do it differently, tell me how and I'll post some pictures.

[A] select "QUOTE" button (like you're gonna make a reply to someone's post). Or select "Post Reply" button.
[b] scroll down to "Additional Options" window (just below "Reply To Thread" window).
[C] select the "Manage Attatchments" button- the "Manage Attatchments" screen will pop-up.
[D] select the "Browse" button- this will allow you to traverse your local directories thru your files.
[E] select the file you want, select "Open"- file name and path now appear in "file to upload" field.
[F] select "Upload" button- file will now be transferred (or up-loaded) to AVSForum file server.
[G] Add additional file(s)- follow steps "D" thru "F".

Just remember you can only attatch three items (if I remember correctly), and each file has a size limit.
post #907 of 52522 Old 02-01-2007, 02:28 PM

newtoitall

I do know my connections , weiring , and distance settings are right
I arranged the fronts and the center to have equal length of cable. At ypao all 3 turn out to be around 3.4 metres
As u said there might be something wrong with my settings.

When i manually play with the settings everything is ok for wathing films

I mean I make the RC-LCR +4 in level
RC-70 - 0
RC-10 +1

There reason why i do my setting like this is because when i leave it up to YPAO
it sets nearly all speakers same level and as a result when wathing films the dialogs sound low.
so in order to hear it louder i turn the volume up to about -10. Then I can hear dialogs perfectly until somekind of effect happens in the film.
If there is some kind of exploison or car crash or even shooting
at the level -10 i nearly go deaf. The entire house starts shaking (my house isnt wooden LOL)

Also i would like to know what kind of sub you are using.
I have ordered definitive technology supercube reference subwoofer.

If it aint good i will give it back.
post #908 of 52522 Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really pleased with the full, rich sound the RC-R's provide.

speaking of RC-R's, here are a few shots of my latest HT/Audio set-up. It's taken me over a month to set-up these new BDI racks and configure everything. BDI makes very good stuff!

From bottom-up: I'm using three NAD C272's (150W X 2 each), two Monster HTS-1600 power-conditioners, a Yamaha RX-V1600 as pre-pro, a new Denon DVD-3930CI universal player, SA-8300HD digital-cable box.

Middle rack: Sony RDR-HX716 DVR/HD, Energy RC-LCR center, HP-LC2640N LCD.

Energy RC-30 front's, RC-R rear's. I have RC-R's set for "bi-pole" mode currently, they sound good (although still in break-in period).

System sounds very good using Yamaha as pre-pro, however, hoping to switch over to the new NAD T175 surround processor in the next few months (if they release them as promised).
LL
LL
LL
post #909 of 52522 Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM

WesctCoastD... great job. Very nice looking. I love the look of Energy speakers with the grills off. Unfortunately, my wife likes them better with the covers on and guess who loses the style battle!!
post #910 of 52522 Old 02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

WesctCoastD... great job. Very nice looking. I love the look of Energy speakers with the grills off. Unfortunately, my wife likes them better with the covers on and guess who loses the style battle!!

thanks! yeah, I like the grill's off as well, really get to see the real beauty of these speakers. However, I usually keep them on as people tend to naturally want to "touch" the speaker's themselves (I never touch the cones, or surrounds, or tweeter domes at all).
post #911 of 52522 Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here are some shots of my Energy LCR's and RC-R's. The main problem with my new speakers is that they have so much more kick that our dog always gets up and leaves the room. We're going to have to find a better place for her home theater room bed.
LL
LL
LL

Joe Clark

post #912 of 52522 Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And the last two.
LL
LL

Joe Clark

post #913 of 52522 Old 02-06-2007, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

they have so much more kick that our dog always gets up and leaves the room.

yeah, those RC-R's are cool! thanks for posting these. Looks like you have a "wild" looking theater room.

So did the dog get up leave when you had your previous brand speakers (whatever they were)?
post #914 of 52522 Old 02-06-2007, 04:28 AM

Well... if people are posting pictures...

C-500 mains, C-C100 center and C-R100 surrounds (not shown). All driven from a Slim Devices Squeezebox wirelessly streaming lossless FLAC files from my computer in the office. The sound quality for the wireless streaming is as good as the universal DVD player I was previously using but now my entire music library is in one spot and searchable.
LL
post #915 of 52522 Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

yeah, those RC-R's are cool! thanks for posting these. Looks like you have a "wild" looking theater room.

So did the dog get up leave when you had your previous brand speakers (whatever they were)?

No, she never seemed to be bothered by either the high or low end on those. I tend to play the Energy's louder, because the sound is so much cleaner and richer. When the bass shakes or the highs wail, she perks up, then decides it's best just to get out.

My room would leave a lot of people cold, but I have the advantage of having much of my Godfather's artwork hanging on the walls. He's a brilliant artist.

Joe Clark

post #916 of 52522 Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Nice setup WC, clean wiring looks good. I can't seem to get my wiring to look very clean yet but my open rack only has a little 2" wire hole too.
post #917 of 52522 Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

Nice setup WC, clean wiring looks good. I can't seem to get my wiring to look very clean yet but my open rack only has a little 2" wire hole too.

thanks. Yeah, the BDI racks have 2-inch slots, they seem to provide pretty good routing space for wiring (look at images on bottom of this page):
http://www.racksandstands.com/BDI-8022-BD1076.html

It's just a little messy sometimes feeding cables through, especially stiff component-video cables.

I used some of these Thomas & Betts, adhesive-backed, Mounting Base's, for nylon-ties:
http://www-public.tnb.com/ps/fulltil...rt=MPNY1000A0C
I placed these on the rear of the back panel of the rack to provide some additional "anchoring" of cables, interconnects, and power-cords. They keep things clean and neat.
post #918 of 52522 Old 02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

C-500 mains, C-C100 center and C-R100 surrounds (not shown).

those C-500's sound pretty impressive you think?

Quote:

driven from a Slim Devices Squeezebox wirelessly streaming lossless FLAC files from my computer in the office.

I'm very intrigued on these "Squeesebox" unit's myself.
post #919 of 52522 Old 02-06-2007, 02:49 PM

I love the entire set up... works great for me. If I had the extra bucks I would have gone with the RC line but the C-500 are still very amazing especially for the price.

The Squeezebox is the single best purchase I have ever made in this area. I contemplated a CD changer, etc but decided that I wanted a solution that would allow me to collect and manage my entire collection better. I ripped my entire CD collection in lossless FLAC format so that I did not lose quality. I stream music over my wireless network to the Squeezebox and output it to my Pioneer receiver over a toslink cable. The Squeezebox (especially its big brother the Transporter) provides very high quality audio. Now, I can select any music I want from my collection, while sitting on my couch. I can search, play music from playlists, have access to internet radio, etc. Quality wise, I cannot tell the difference from the original CD. I bought the unit because many high end magazines (Stereophile, etc) gave it glowing reviews relative to sound quality and that was the most important thing for me.
post #920 of 52522 Old 02-06-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the C-500 are still very amazing especially for the price.

you're right! I've used the C-300's, they are very, very good, for the price as well.

Quote:

I stream music over my wireless network to the Squeezebox and output it to my Pioneer receiver over a toslink cable. The Squeezebox (especially its big brother the Transporter) provides very high quality audio. I can search, play music from playlists, have access to internet radio, etc.

I'm definitely looking into this ("SqueezeBox"). First I was hot on getting the latest Yamaha receiver (RX-V2700) because of it's etherNET/PC connectivity for streaming music, etc.,..., which it does pretty good I understand. Moreover the RX-V2700 has Yamaha's new Compressed Music Enhancer which, I hear, does a pretty good job with compressed music files. I have my complete music archive down-loaded to WIN-XP Media Player format.

However, I prefer to have a more high-quality surround pre-amp. So I'm waiting for the release of the new NAD T175 (hopefully by april or may):
http://www.digitalvideoht.it/files/NAD_T175.pdf
While it does have XM Radio interface it does'nt have etherNET/PC connectivity. So I would need to use some sort of external hardware such as SqeezeBox. Thanks for the info!
post #921 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 AM

Hi all

As i mentioned before I have 2 RC-70 , RC-10 AND RC-LCR
I would like someone to help me out. Because there is a situation that really bothers me.

I have noticed that nearly all other brands like definitive , jbl , wharfedale or any other brand has 8 , 10 even 12" woofers.

Why is energys woofer sizes limited at 6-1/2"

Can anyone tell me ?

I mean wouldnt it be better if the rc-70 had a 10 or 12" woofer?
or is it like , size doesnt matter?

would we get a better bass sound with a bigger woofer.

thanks
post #922 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 AM

I am by NO means an expert but I would suggest the if the RC-70 has good low end bass response (which I believe it does) it shouldn't matter how large the woofer is. To go really low, that is why you would add a subwoofer. But for regular use, the RC-70 would deal very well with low end bass.

I think the only bass the RC-70 would practically need help with might be the LFE channel that should really go to the subwoofer anyway.

I would bet the RC-70s sound as good, if not better than most all other full range speakers anywhere near its price range.
post #923 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 09:49 AM

Ersen79
I'm no expert either. Having two 6.5" woofers moves as much air as one of the larger drivers you mentioned. The advantage is the smaller drivers are lighter and have their own independent motor structures, so the bass is more articulate. Cabinet volume also has a LOT to do with how low the bass is.

Almost all of the "higher" end brands I can think of design their speakers like this (B&W, paradigm, Axiom, etc). There are also soundstage benefits to having a more narrow front baffle.
post #924 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 12:24 PM

I have been watching this board for a while now but this is my first post.

Based on rave reviews on this site I recently upgraded my 5.1 surround system and purchased a set of RC-30s for the front channels, and the RC-mini centre (I was restricted in size). My rears are from my original Energy take-5's.

The upgrade was largely due to wanting better quality music capability. I have had the set-up running now for about 6 months and am very happy with the improvement, but have yet to get the same deep sound out of the RC-30s that I did when demo'd in the store. I know that this is largely due to the fact that I am running them on an older lower-end Yamaha and was looking into the Denon AVR 2807 as a potential upgrade.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking to spend around $1000 (Canadian).

Thanks!!
post #925 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The receiver won't make much of a difference, other than the crossover frequency. If you are running the RC30's as small (or at a high crossover frequency of 80 Hz+) then you won't get much bass. If they are set to large or at a Xover frequency of 40 Hz then you should have decent bass.

If you have the xover set up properly with less bass than the demo then the room is causing the bass issue, not your system. You are now hearing the difference betweeen rooms that the RC30's were set up in.

kw.........
post #926 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Hi Ang123, what kind of subwoofer are you running?
post #927 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

The receiver won't make much of a difference, other than the crossover frequency. If you are running the RC30's as small (or at a high crossover frequency of 80 Hz+) then you won't get much bass. If they are set to large or at a Xover frequency of 40 Hz then you should have decent bass.

If you have the xover set up properly with less bass than the demo then the room is causing the bass issue, not your system. You are now hearing the difference betweeen rooms that the RC30's were set up in.

kw.........

They are set to large. I do have the speakers approx 4 inches from the wall with the port plugs in as recommended. Could this be causing a difference as well?
post #928 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone View Post

Hi Ang123, what kind of subwoofer are you running?

It's an older model energy 10" XL series. I get nice full base with the sub running, but what I remember really liking about the RC-30s at the store was their crisp bass sound (feel it in your chest) vs. the sub which is less distinct and more muddy.
post #929 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speaker placement in the room is definitely an issue, in addition to the room size, dimensions, and whether the room is open or closed. You can and should try varying the speaker positions. My veritas i towers are recommended to be at least a couple of feet out from the walls to prevent overpowering bass, but my room also has a bass hole that sucks out a lot of bass. Not much I can do without changing rooms or rearranging the whole room (which isn't going to work aesthetically).

A good start is to play test tones on your speakers and check out the spl response at your seating position with a radio shack spl meter. You can also find the lulls and strong response spots in your room. Then alter your speaker position (including toe in) to see how it changes (improves/gets worse). You should be able to find something that is probably better than it is now, if not alleviating the problem.

It is my understanding that close to a wall generally helps bass response, but you need to check it out at various positions along the wall and out from the wall with an spl meter at the seating position.

As for receiver recommendations, I'd go with a warm receiver to minimize the metal tweeter that often strays to brightness. I can vouch that marantz and pioneer elite receivers are very nice and provide a slightly warmer sound that works very very well with these speakers. I have been very impressed with both receivers. I helped a friend by the VSX-74TXVi (or whatever) and can't say enough good things about it. I never thought pioneer was that good before this. For $1550 CAD tax in I'd say it is great value. If you don't mind buying used to get great bang for the $$ check out www.canuckaudiomart.com for used receivers. They do come up, but it may take a bit of time.

Good luck and report back.

kw..........
post #930 of 52522 Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang123 View Post

purchased a set of RC-30s for the front channels, and the RC-mini centre (I was restricted in size). My rears are from my original Energy take-5's.

should make for a nice-sounding front surround, as well as provide nice stereo and mutli-channel music capability.

The RC-Mini's are unbelieveable sounding "little" speakers. I was recently using RC-Mini's as rears they worked great (although I just switched to RC-R's). Just note that these speakers (RC-Mini & RC-Mini Center) have a limitation on low-frequency range and are a little more fragile (read page 2 of the manual- "Receiver Settings"). So you want to be careful to set your LFE no lower than 100Hz or you can easily damage these speakers. I set my RC-Mini (rears) for "SMALL" and cross-over @100Hz.

Quote:

but have yet to get the same deep sound out of the RC-30s that I did when demo'd in the store. I do have the speakers approx 4 inches from the wall with the port plugs in as recommended. Could this be causing a difference as well?

yes, most definitely, the foam port-plugs drastically affect, or "attenuate", the bass response (from my experience), I would remove them. Usually people have issues with "too much bass" from these speakers (ie. RC-30's, 50's, 70's).

You'll want to follow Energy's guidelines (page 3, RC-Series, "Positioning and Installing Your Speakers") by providing at least 12 inches minimum space between the rear of speaker and the wall (if possible).

Actually the port-plugs are recommended [only] if you are forced to position speaker too close to a wall and you're experiencing intense reflections (or too much bass).

Quote:

I am running them on an older lower-end Yamaha and was looking into the Denon AVR 2807 as a potential upgrade.

Which model Yamaha receiver are you using?

While the RC-Series line are fairly efficient they do respond nicer with better, or more efficient, amplification. A few years back I was using an older, lower-line, Yamaha receiver (RX-V450, 50W X 7) with Energy C-5 (floorstanders) and they just did'nt sound completely right, something was "missing". So I switched to a Yamaha RX-V1500 (120W X 7) and they really came "alive".

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V1600 reciever now (as pre-pro), along with three NAD C272 external amps (150W X 2 each), with RC-30 front's, RC-LCR center, RC-R rear's. It sounds very clean.

The latest-generation Yamaha's are very efficient and nice sounding- a level beyond their predecessors. They have very good pre-amp/amp section (for an AVR), including- Burr Brown DAC's & op-amp's, schottky rectifier diodes, extra-large transformers, etc.,... All combined with excellent DSP and video processing capabilities.

So I would make a point to get a (newer) receiver with at least 100W per/chan rating minimum (preferably 120W X 7 or greater)- ie. Denon 4306, 3806, 2807; Yamaha RX-V2700, RX-V1700, RX-V659; Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi, VSX-82TXS, VSX-81TXV, etc.,...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page