Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #10171 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a crappy powerpoint drawing of the room
I'm thinking of moving the couch and tv a little to the right, and mounting the rear speakers on the wall.

I don't have the dimensions of the living room, but its a decent size. And the picture is not exact to scale though.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurbhatia View Post

Here's a crappy powerpoint drawing of the room
I'm thinking of moving the couch and tv a little to the right, and mounting the rear speakers on the wall.

I don't have the dimensions of the living room, but its a decent size. And the picture is not exact to scale though.

Stands might be the way to go. Get ones as tall as you can find because ideal placement is 2 ft above the rear seating position.
post #10173 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnysj View Post

The C-7 ware working really well. Some audiophiles friends were impressed and couldn't believe a mid-end Energy speaker can sound that good. Last week I got bored and replaced the caps. Haven't listened much but I can hear more details in the upper range.

Ya, C7s are amazing sounding for what they are, good thing they sound better then they look Their design isn't THAT bad, but they can't compete with the RCs in the looks department.

One thing I notice going from C7s to 2.2i is the C7s had more bass extension on songs where they are hammering the double kick pedal. Yes a lot of it rolls off to my sub but you can still notice the lows coming from the speaker. I had them crossed at 60hz, the veritas im crossing at 70hz until break in is done. The trade off is all in the overall quality and highs! I don't feel like I'm missing anything though, the 2.2i are extremely clear. I actually cranked the 2.2i last night they are roughly 75hrs and the difference is night and day. 2.2i excel at loud volumes.
post #10174 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 AM

Are there any wall mounts which allow me to turn the speakers?
post #10175 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
post #10176 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Turn them how?
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...20%20%20%20BLK

Turn them in a way that the the back is not flat on the wall.

And do I need these mounts to mount the C-R100's?
post #10177 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

C-R100s come with wall mounts, but if you dont want them flush against the wall you probably need the the macromounts.

Afro GT
post #10178 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

C-R100s come with wall mounts, but if you dont want them flush against the wall you probably need the the macromounts.

]

Thanks! I'll play around with the layout and see how they sound before i order the mounts.
post #10179 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Hello all.
I have been lurking for some time now, reading and gathering information on speakers for my new home theater setup. I started with a new LCD TV and was able to get a Denon AVR-889 from Circuit City before they went out of business. I am working toward a 5.1 setup in my living room, but because of budget constraints, have only been able to purchase the following speakers:

2x C-100
1x C-C100

I had a couple of questions that I hadn't seen asked in this thread and was hoping someone could help.

1. I purchased GLS Safe-Connect Banana Plugs and some 16 AWG wire for my front's and center. The plugs fit great into the back of my Denon AVR, but don't seem to fit correctly into the back of my speakers. I removed the plastic covers from inside the binding posts, but the plugs don't go in all the way. Should they fit in flush on the C-100's and C-C100 like they do on my receiver or is it okay for them to stick out a bit? The connection seems solid, but was concerned that I had missed something.

2. All of my speakers have red spacers between the grills. Should I take them off before attaching the grills or are they supposed to be there? The grills don't seem to be flush against the cabinet with or without the spacers, and I am curious if they are going to rattle.

I certainly appreciate everyone's contribution to this thread and can't thank everyone enough for the knowledge that I have gained from this forum. I can't wait to get everything setup so I can start reading batpig's Denon manual and the Audyssey thread...

Thank you again.
-0majestic1
post #10180 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstiw View Post

Alllll, one of the only two Dino's here (you and me) and any of the rest that are too afraind to say so.. hehe (or maybe the ugly truth is... we are the only ones.. haha) has chime in again!

It's possible were the only ones. Most guys our age can barely turn on a computer . But it's also possible some may not wish to admit it. For some reason people like to think they are anonymous online. A foolish but for some pleasant delusion.

Quote:

And like in true Dino fassion, I will agree with you, and disagree also. Isn't that fun...

I think that is what this place is all about. As long as it doesn't go to extremes. I agree with you it is fun . Everyone should feel free to express their thoughts on here.

Quote:

Anyway.... Yes, there is a reason todays towers do what they do.... I LOVE MY SEXY C-300s...... they are at the right height, and they are SEXY Skinny...

Hard to argue with that assessment.

Quote:

I hate to say it, but in our Dino years, those were big, fat, wide, 60+ pound deeeepppp, boxes.... were never high enough to get the Tweeters at ear level for Sofa Sitting for today's Wide Screens. Now Bill, come on... Yes they were close.... but not at ideal Ear level.... as Today's Towers are.....

Here we can agree to disagree . I put mine on stands and they actually are the right height.

Quote:

And they are soo sexy, being slim and tall, just like the way we like a Girly Model. My C-300s are only 8" wide. And yes, almost down to low 40hz!

Yup and just like those tall girlie models they are about to fall over at any moment .

Quote:

C-500s are down to mid 30's..... But these sexy girls can never get to 20hz, or sub-sonic levels.... Yes, Subs are it today.....

Yea that's about the only option if your only option it to use those. Fortunately I still have 2 pair of the dino's

Quote:

I will just never forget how good it was, when two 15" woofers, could deliver so much "WTF" bass, along with moving so much WTF "AIR" at the same time the house was ratteling apart...

Yes I know I have 2 pair with 16.5" woofers. Man can they move the air. I still prefer these for music. Which is why I'm integrating them with my system for HD. I plan to switch back and forth for music. Use the C-100's sitting on top of them for HD.

Quote:

But now since I am older (not old), I do not need it at that level anymore, and I love my Sexy Towers. I just need to add some much needed.... Thigh High Boots, to give it that "WOW" low hz wonder factor again, that you and I, have taken for granted.... During our younger Dino Years....

I don't think it's at all about level. I don't play mine as loud as when I was younger but I no less enjoy them. Not sure we took them for granted. It was all we had back then. I like to think I'm blending the best of both worlds into my situation. Long live the Dino's

Bill

Sometimes more is less........
post #10181 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0majestic1 View Post

1. I purchased GLS Safe-Connect Banana Plugs and some 16 AWG wire for my front's and center. The plugs fit great into the back of my Denon AVR, but don't seem to fit correctly into the back of my speakers.

This is pretty common with the GLS plugs, they also fit very loosely in my RC's. It's not a big deal if they don't go in all the way, but the looseness bothers me.

Anyway, as long as they are in securely and stay in place it's fine.

Quote:
2. All of my speakers have red spacers between the grills. Should I take them off before attaching the grills or are they supposed to be there?

they are just for packing. if you are going to use the grills though there is no reason to not use them, it shouldn't matter either way.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10182 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

somebody should just call AA... it's hard to tell on those C-500's. they are listed in the "Brand-New Gear On Sale" category for clearance....

either way, it is an authorized dealer w/ warranty and the products from AA that people have bought throughout the years have always been tip-top, basically as new. AA is a first-class operation.

and that is a great price, for anyone who missed the boat on the C-300 closeouts you have have been given a second life with the superior C-500's.

I'm wondering if these will sound all that much better for surround then my C-100's? I'm using them with a C-C100 for the center. I plan to use the old Sansui's for music but seeing these on sale makes me tempted. But if they aren't going to add a lot to the surround experience, it might just be a waste of money for me. If I was going to use them for music too my guess is they would add a lot to the experience?

Thanks,

Bill
post #10183 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

This is pretty common with the GLS plugs, they also fit very loosely in my RC's. It's not a big deal if they don't go in all the way, but the looseness bothers me.

Anyway, as long as they are in securely and stay in place it's fine.

they are just for packing. if you are going to use the grills though there is no reason to not use them, it shouldn't matter either way.

Thanks batpig. I'm not at all surprised from reading this thread that you would be the one to answer my questions.
After I get everything hooked up, would you suggest that I run the Audyssey before doing the recommended break-in on the speakers or use the default Denon settings until they loosen up a bit?

-0majestic1
post #10184 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0majestic1 View Post

Thanks batpig. I'm not at all surprised from reading this thread that you would be the one to answer my questions.
After I get everything hooked up, would you suggest that I run the Audyssey before doing the recommended break-in on the speakers or use the default Denon settings until they loosen up a bit?

-0majestic1

There was a debate a while back about Audyssey tones being too harsh for speakers before proper break in. Some disagreed.

If you do run Audyssey first, let the speakers do a proper break in and once the 100 hours are complete, re-run Audyssey because the sound will have changed.
post #10185 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_40k View Post

There was a debate a while back about Audyssey tones being too harsh for speakers before proper break in. Some disagreed.

If you do run Audyssey first, let the speakers do a proper break in and once the 100 hours are complete, re-run Audyssey because the sound will have changed.

Thanks knight. You guys are great.

-0majestic1
post #10186 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Hi all. Quick newbie question on the C-100 bookshelf speakers (or any that have this for that matter). There's... 2 sets of standoffs in the back?? One is marked L and one is H. Is that "Lows" and "Highs" so they separated out the tweeter from the woofer? How do I properly hook this speaker up if I only have 1 (L/R) speaker wire coming to the speaker??
post #10187 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by omii View Post

Hi all. Quick newbie question on the C-100 bookshelf speakers (or any that have this for that matter). There's... 2 sets of standoffs in the back?? One is marked L and one is H. Is that "Lows" and "Highs" so they separated out the tweeter from the woofer? How do I properly hook this speaker up if I only have 1 (L/R) speaker wire coming to the speaker??

Use the bottom set of jacks. Do not remove the chrome jumper plates.
post #10188 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM

I just bought my first speaker system I wish I would have found this forum before I bought because their is so much good info..This what I bought.

RC50s for front
RCLCR for center
ESWM8 for sub
CR10 for surrounds
Price paid with free shipping all brand new from vanns.com $2000.00

How was that price? I thought it was great when I seen the list price of speakers on energys site.

I just bought a pioneer 5020 tv, pioneer vsx-03txh receiver..to all the experts how does this receiver match up with the speakers..I read the MCACC set up the receiver uses for the speakers and don't really understand it that well, I hope to get some help from the MCACC forum.Please let me know what you think of this set up

Thanks ciccio
post #10189 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

looks like a great setup!! The only thing I would question is the subwoofer -- did you get the M8 because you specifically required a tiny sub? With the M6/M8 subs, you are paying for the SIZE and not the performance -- I wouldn't be surprised if the RC-50's can hit as low as the M8 sub. So, if you can use a larger sub you would get much better bang for the buck with something like the Prestige S10 for $350 from Vann's (still only a 15" cube) and save some cash to boot.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #10190 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice system, I'd have to agree with Batpig about the sub though. Why did you go for the small expensive sub?

Afro GT
post #10191 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM

that is what came in the bundle set, I also like it for it's small size and the guys at energy said that sub packs a good punch..this is all new to me so I am going what other people with expierence say..will that sub be ok...I was looking at the s10.3 but really liked the size of the M8 got to make the wife happy as well she did not like this big black box on the floor LOL..
Thanks for your input I am sure when I get them I will have alot of questions for all you.
post #10192 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What color finish did you go with for the RC-50 / RC-LCR?

Right now I'm seeing at Vann's:

Pair of RC-50's = $800 shipped (cherry or rosenut)
RC-LCR = $325 shipped (!) (cherry) / $399 (rosenut)
CR-10 = $350 shipped / pair

That's about $1500 shipped for the 5 speaker setup. For the $500 remaining in your budget, you could get a sub that would absolutely dominate the M8 -- that is, of course, unless you ABSOLUTELY require the smallest possible package.

I understand about not wanting a giant black box in the room (my wife agrees!)... But even if you want a tiny sub, the Prestige S8 (Energy ESW-V8 clone) is still only a 12" cube and would outperform the M8 by a big margin for a lot less money ($280 shipped at Vann's). And it's very good looking in the high-gloss black finish, takes up little room, and will actually hit lower than your RC-50's for added HT impact.

I would contact Vann's and see if you could swap in the Prestige S8 instead of the Energy M8 and get back $200+ in your pocket

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #10193 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM

I liked the black color I seen the cherry and rosemount for that price as well let me look at that sub you said on vanns I don't know if you can change it because it may be that price because of a bundle package i bought
post #10194 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:31 PM

I went onto vanns and it is out of stock...will the sub I bought do the job for me? If you say yes I will just stick with mine and make wife happy as well.
Thanks for your help
post #10195 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I think the sub is a waste, I'm sure that the rc 50 speakers will handle bass just as well as that sub, which imo, would be a waste of money. If you're going to buy a sub, get something a nice sub.
post #10196 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:42 PM

like Prestige S8?
post #10197 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 PM

the price I paid for the ESWM8 in the bundle set was $470.00 is that to much
post #10198 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

prestige 8 cans still be purchased here but I'd check first how much will be deducted from the system price if you cancel the M8.
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._60__0_0_0_-1/

Update: If they let you deduct $470, then yeah I'd get the prestige s8 elsewhere like from the link above.

Afro GT
post #10199 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think so -- again, what you are really paying for is the size, not the performance.

Personally, I would get the speaker package for $1500 without the M8 sub, and instead get the ESW-V8 (or Prestige S8) elsewhere. The V8 is $299 shipped at WWStereo:
http://www.wwstereo.com/default.aspx..._84__0_0_0_-1/

Even if it was some package pricing, all of those speakers should still be $1500 as I detailed above:
Quote:

Right now I'm seeing at Vann's:

Pair of RC-50's = $800 shipped (cherry or rosenut)
RC-LCR = $325 shipped (!) (cherry) / $399 (rosenut)
CR-10 = $350 shipped / pair

That's about $1500 shipped for the 5 speaker setup.

Take your wife out to a nice dinner and buy her some flowers with the $200 you save And then enjoy the deeper bass.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #10200 of 52119 Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I personally can't see spending more for the black color, especially if you haven't seen the others in person. They're real wife pleasers!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page