Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I noticed the first product update on the Energy website in over a year- new Reference Connoisseur Custom series. RC-Series drivers and internals configured for in-ceiling and wall-mounting. Very interesting.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...ine.php?id=325

I figure most of this product (along with RC-Series sub's), and more, was previously in line to be released just before API was bought by the Klipsch Group. And they (Energy) are only now rolling this product out. I sense that much of their staff has left (or been replaced), so they have finally gotten up to speed on certain product-line. Moreover the quality of the images (of this new product) on the Energy web-site is poor, probably because of new (or different) staff implementing changes.
post #1173 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, ain't that a bitch. I just put in AIM8 Threes as my surrounds with the RC-70s, RC-LCR and S12.3. Too bad I couldn't have waited a couple of months to check these out.
post #1174 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you can buy an RC subwoofer from Mirage. check it out
post #1175 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM

Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum but I am looking for some advice on an Energy centre channel. I purchased a pair of C-7s a couple of years ago, which I love, and now I am ready to start expanding into HT so I am looking for a centre. I have read lots of great stuff about the C-C3 (very hard to find right now) and a little about the C-C1 (also hard to find). Is the new C-C100 a good match for my Connoisseur C-7s or should I keep looking for the C-C3 or C-C1?
post #1176 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd keep looking for the C-C3. It's a very good center speaker.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #1177 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

have not heard of this dealer/seller myself. I would just go to the Energy web-site an look for a dealer in your area.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/dealer/index.php

Also, Audio Advisor is a decent (authorized) dealer
http://www.audioadvisor.com/

good speakers for a very low (retail) price

Is www.audioexcellence.com an authorized dealer? Are there better prices than this for the RC line? I've got the RC-30's but still looking to get some RC-10's eventually.

http://www.audioexcellence.com/index...ROD&ProdID=802
post #1178 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 03:45 PM

i don't think audio excellence is an authorized dealer.
post #1179 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry38read View Post

i don't think audio excellence is an authorized dealer.

hmm. That's a bummer if true. I've seen people mention it before, I wonder how good they.
post #1180 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM

yeah a few people on this thread have seemed to be pleased but i read a review on resellerratings (dot) com and the poor guy had a real bad experience. there was only one review. so you got to take it with a grain of salt i guess.

the prices on the site are pretty good though.
post #1181 of 52683 Old 04-19-2007, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I purchased my complete RC-Series line (RC-30's, RC-LCR, RC-Mini's) from audio Excellence. They run a pretty good operation, They are (usually) very thorough with orders, they make sure to let you know when an item has been shipped, etc.,...

However, they are not an "authorized" Energy dealer.

Lately I've been purchasing Energy product through American TV & Appliance Of Madison, because they are an "authorized dealer
http://www.americantv.com/
I've been happy with their service.

Actually, I just back-ordered a new RC-Sub10 through American TV. Apparently Energy has just finished a major engineering retro-fit on these sub's and will begin shippping some time in May.
post #1182 of 52683 Old 04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually, I just back-ordered a new RC-Sub10 through American TV. Apparently Energy has just finished a major engineering retro-fit on these sub's and will begin shippping some time in May.

Mirage has this subwoofer on its website and has had it for quite a while, what is up with the Energy labeled one?
post #1183 of 52683 Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 AM

Thx for the input. So not authorized could potentially cause an issue with warranty down the line, is that the drawback? I've been more than happy with build quality and honestly don't think I'd need it but just curious as to what that really means.
post #1184 of 52683 Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I recently bought my Energy's from AudioExcellence. No complaints here. Saving $1000 was a somewhat big deal to this tightwad.
post #1185 of 52683 Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

I recently bought my Energy's from AudioExcellence. No complaints here. Saving $1000 was a somewhat big deal to this tightwad.

I'm with you on that! Good to hear people have had good experiences.
post #1186 of 52683 Old 04-20-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

Mirage has this subwoofer on its website and has had it for quite a while, what is up with the Energy labeled one?

it's hard to say what exactly is going on with these sub products. They are obviously the same product with different "badges". However, if they perform better (which they should) than their predecessors (the S8.3, S10.3, S12.3) I'll be very happy, as my S8.3 provides pretty good bass in my small size room.
post #1187 of 52683 Old 04-20-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

So not authorized could potentially cause an issue with warranty down the line, is that the drawback?

yeah, if there are any problems (ie. failures, defects, etc.,...) you can't send them directly to Energy for free repair/replacement. Although, depending on where you purchased them [they] may be able to submit the product, through their (authorized) dealer, to Energy for warranty claim.

Quote:

I've been more than happy with build quality and honestly don't think I'd need it but just curious as to what that really means

I have always been very happy with their product design and build quality as well, consequently I did'nt have a problem purchasing Energy product from non-authorized dealers. However, now that things have changed drastically within their corporate situation (with Klipsch purchasing API, etc.,...) seems much of the original staff has left and that new engineers and technicians are now handling the product-line. I would prefer to have full warranted product so I can deal directly with the factory in regards to problems, defects or failures.

The ironic thing is that the RC-Series line was just being rolled-out right when the aquisition happened. Consequently it seems that some of the product-line was caught in various phases of production (ie. RC-Mini, RC-Sub's, RC-Custom). Much of this product was designed by Energy's chief engineer John Tchilinguirian who (supposedly) has left API during the corporate transaction.

I'll be curious to see if any [new] leading-edge Energy product line (beyond the RC-Series or Veritas i series) emerges, as their pioneering speaker design engineer is apparently not involved now.
post #1188 of 52683 Old 04-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Interesting, thanks for the info WestCoastD. I hope to still see future quality Energy Speakers even after Klipsch entered the picture. Maybe we'll get more access to auditioning speakers locally (I only know of one store near me, before the good guys was where it was at for Energy). Yeah I noticed the product pictures being of a lesser quality on their site as you mentioned as well.
post #1189 of 52683 Old 04-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
The Energy site has been updated a bit more today. Hopefully this means Energy is coming back to life after its little post-purchase rest.
post #1190 of 52683 Old 04-23-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

so trip on this.......I just got a call from the sales rep at American TV & Appliance Of Madison (where I had ordered an Energy RC-Sub10 only a few weeks back), he explained to me that he just received word from Energy sales that these subs will not be available for a while as they have had problems with fires (really) . Consequently, they (Energy) are implementing engineering retro-fits to these subs and will re-issue them soon (maybe a few months).

Apparently the on-board amplifiers have known to have exploded and actually generate fires.

Moreover, the American TV sale's rep (himself) admitted to me, over the phone, that they had an RC-Sub in their "high-end" show-room, and that it performed very well and, also, that he sold quite a few of them (a while back). However, he added later that their display (RC-Sub) model caught fire in the show-room .

I wonder if the (equivalent) Mirage sub models are also pulled from the market as well?
post #1191 of 52683 Old 04-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the on-board amplifiers have known to have exploded and actually generate fires.

WOW. That's scary.. I have a Mirage Omni S10, not the same thing...I hope. Still selling these models so I suppose they are OK......Never noticed it running hot or anything....."as he now unplugs it when not is use....."

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #1192 of 52683 Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. Glad I keep reading this thread as I'm interested in the RC-70's.
I have the Mirage S10 and S12 (both terrific). I've only been using the S12 since I got it back in the fall. So far all is good...(as he places a fire extinguisher nearby.....).
post #1193 of 52683 Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

This (fire) problem seems to be centered around the sub on-board [amplifier] itself. I believe these amplifiers are designed and manufactured by a third party (possibly Bryston?).

Otherwise, I would'nt be concerned with other, conventional, speaker products (ie. C-50's, C-100's, C-200's, C-300's, C-500's, Take-Series, RC-10's, 30's, 70's, Veritas, etc.,...).

Actually, I (still) plan to purchase an RC-Sub10 (or RC-Sub12) once they re-issue them with retro-fit amplifiers. I understand they are very good.
post #1194 of 52683 Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the Mirage S10 and S12 (both terrific). I've only been using the S12 since I got it back in the fall. So far all is good...(as he places a fire extinguisher nearby.....).

The Omni S12 is the same as the Energy S12, The OMD-S10 is the same as an RC Sub, There is no OMD-S12 yet so you must have the one that needs matches or a lighter to burn.

No wonder Klipsch took them over, very confused marketing. Reminds me of Mercury versus Ford, badge engineering. At least the speakers are well differentiated.
post #1195 of 52683 Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

have not heard of this dealer/seller myself. I would just go to the Energy web-site an look for a dealer in your area.

Also, Audio Advisor is a decent (authorized) dealer

good speakers for a very low (retail) price

Thanks, I've checked out the dealer locater and found one close enough to get to.
post #1196 of 52683 Old 04-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

Wow. Glad I keep reading this thread as I'm interested in the RC-70's.

I have had the RC-70s for a little over a year and have been very happy with them. I a/b them with a friends Paradigm studio 100s and we both liked the RC-70s better. I don't think you can go wrong with the RC-70's.

A question for those with the RC-10's. I may need to down size do to a new TV and TV stand. Would I get the same type of performace for the RC-10 and a nice sub as I do from the RC-70s? I want a bigger TV but don't want to have to give up much in audio to do it.
post #1197 of 52683 Old 04-25-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post

I have had the RC-70s for a little over a year and have been very happy with them. I a/b them with a friends Paradigm studio 100s and we both liked the RC-70s better. I don't think you can go wrong with the RC-70's.

A question for those with the RC-10's. I may need to down size do to a new TV and TV stand. Would I get the same type of performace for the RC-10 and a nice sub as I do from the RC-70s? I want a bigger TV but don't want to have to give up much in audio to do it.

Similar situation but with the RC-30's. Wondering how they would compare.

For yours though I think you would get a bit of a decrease in performance in the mid range vocals/bass due to the smaller driver in the RC-10's that use a single 5.5" driver and tweeter versus the RC-70's dual 6.5" woofers and 5.5" mid. They do use the same tweeter though.

I can't say I've auditioned them since the good guys was taken away by CompUSA (bastards!).
post #1198 of 52683 Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post

Generall speaking, a good bookshelf such as the RC10 should be able to keep up with a larger speaker when properly set up and calibrated with a sub in terms of overall sound quality. Where you do lose out a bit is that the larger speaker will ultimately sound less strained when pushed to higher volumes. The overall sound of the bookshelf speaker will be highly affected by the degree of a good blending between the sub and bookshelf which is also highly affected by the placement of the sub itself. With some rooms and acoustics, it may be harder to get a seamless blend.

I think for the most part, the RC10 + sub should be very good option if you need to conserve space. For me, I don't like the look of a big tower speaker in my room, but I've always found that a good bookshelf + sub is a great way to go.

post #1199 of 52683 Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Generall speaking, a good bookshelf such as the RC10 should be able to keep up with a larger speaker when properly set up and calibrated with a sub in terms of overall sound quality. Where you do lose out a bit is that the larger speaker will ultimately sound less strained when pushed to higher volumes. The overall sound of the bookshelf speaker will be highly affected by the degree of a good blending between the sub and bookshelf which is also highly affected by the placement of the sub itself. With some rooms and acoustics, it may be harder to get a seamless blend.

I think for the most part, the RC10 + sub should be very good option if you need to conserve space. For me, I don't like the look of a big tower speaker in my room, but I've always found that a good bookshelf + sub is a great way to go.

Thanks warpdrive.

What would be a good sub to match with the RC-10's? I've got about 1500 cubic feet. Would say a HSU 10" blend (VTF 2 MK 2) better than 12" (VTF 2 MK3, this would probably be over kill for my place)) or does that driver size really matter as much? Music listening is very important to me as well as movies.
post #1200 of 52683 Old 04-25-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks warpdrive.

What would be a good sub to match with the RC-10's? I've got about 1500 cubic feet. Would say a HSU 10" blend (VTF 2 MK 2) better than 12" (VTF 2 MK3, this would probably be over kill for my place)) or does that driver size really matter as much? Music listening is very important to me as well as movies.

That VTF2 Mk2 should be quite adequate if it's not an open space. Size of the driver isn't a large factor in blending, but the larger driver and enclosure will reach down deeper when the soundtrack has it. A smaller sub may have a smaller footprint thus enabling you to have more flexibility in placement. There isn't really such thing as overkill in terms of sub specs as even very big subs can be made to integrate well in a room, but it's more the physical size of the sub which may overwhelm the room.

With a RC10, you would probably try a 80Hz crossover setting but also try 60Hz and see how well the blend works. 60Hz would definitely be the lowest you would go.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page